The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:
Kraken wrote:
I meant to ask what the Trumpelos think. I struggle to understand their alien world.
They think Trump will Fix The Bad because he's a genius businessman who can cut through the crap, but mainly health care somehow doesn't really matter because they've been fine so far, and anyway Trump hates the people they hate.
Don't forget that he's seen as pushing back against the non-whites and immigrants. That's a key point.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump is still going after Sessions, this time for being weak on Hillary Clinton.
Donald Trump wrote:Attorney General Jeff Sessions has taken a VERY weak position on Hillary Clinton crimes (where are E-mails & DNC server) & Intel leakers!
I guess if Sessions gets canned, the new AG will be tasked with a) ending the Russia investigation and b) going after Hillary Clinton. Ugh.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Right. And the Senate will soon go on vacation, allowing Trump to fire Sessions and make an incontestable recess appointment.

The person waiting in the wings is Associate AG Rachel Brand, who is expected to be amenable to Trump's views. But he could just as easily go Full Donald and appoint Giuliani or Gingrich.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Why isn't he just firing Sessions? I guess the logic must be that a Session resignation + recess appointment + appointee firing Mueller looks less "Saturday Night Massacre"-ish?

Just so bizarre that the president is repeatedly criticizing his own political appointee on Twitter.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote:Just so bizarre that the president is repeatedly criticizing his own political appointee on Twitter.
Not really. Trump enjoys tearing people down and demoralizing them before firing them. He needs his fix from Sessions before he dumps him.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That is it in a nutshell. The optics of him firing Sessions won't work. He needs the AG to quit. His "clean" replacement of course will naturally come in, fire Mueller, and bury the Russia investigation. Or so he believes because he is a fucking moron. Then we will see if we are dhoomed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

CNN has a hilarious piece on Trump's speech to the Boy Scouts. How anyone with even basic cognitive powers could find this anything but embarrassing, inappropriate and sleazy is beyond me.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

$iljanus wrote:Watching Trump address Boy Scout Jamboree. Said at beginning that he wouldn't bring politics into his speech. So couple minutes in he talks about repealing Obamacare. Scouts start chanting USA! USA! And now he talks about the loyalty of Boy Scouts and how we can use more loyalty. Scouts chant Make America Great Again! Very, umm late 1930s Germany. Also whining about fake news and how they will lie about crowd size.

Oh shit now he called out Obama for not coming to a jamboree. Will have to check that...
As a former Boy Scout who attended two national jamborees, this saddens and depresses me.

I'm glad my son has a great scouting group that's not affiliated with the BSA.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From that article I learned Jeff Sessions is an Eagle Scout. I feel gross. But the rest of it? Jesus. H. Christ.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Apparently they were chanting 'USA USA!' and 'Make America Great Again!' so yeah, we're doomed.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My boss was in charge of the regional trip to the jamboree. It is the 7th consecutive one he has been to. He was hot when Obama did not attend. It will be interesting to hear his take on the speech.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm glad that the youth got to hear a bunch of non sequitors about Trump by Trump. A memory to cherish.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote:
Kraken wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Democrats ruined health care...
I'm curious what made the halcyon days before the ACA so halcyon. Do Trumpsters remember a mythical golden age of cheap insurance and stable prices?
YellowKing wrote:
Unless somehow Trump can magically bring back economic prosperity to the working class, AND avoid all fallout from the Russian scandal, AND prevent any other disastrous fuck-ups in the next three years, AND hope the Democrats put up another candidate as reviled as Hillary, he's one and done. I don't care how many Fox News Facebook friends he has.
Irrespective of whatever tax and budget policies the Republicans manage to impose upon us, we are overdue for an ordinary business-cycle recession. Whether it's two months or two years away, it's sure to land during Trump's watch, and he will take heat for it, as presidents always do. That alone will turn some percentage of the Trumpelos.

If they succeed in screwing over the healthcare sector this week, that recession will begin with a good old-fashioned panic just days or weeks from now.
I don't think we're overdue. I think we're due at some point in the next year or 2, but all it would take is one catastrophe (not even market related) to send things spiraling.
I agree with the second half of that sentence, and I believe that nuking the healthcare sector could be that catastrophe...although it's hard to say that since we don't know yet what McConnell has up his sleeve.

According to this source the average business cycle from 1945-2009 lasted 68.5 months (peak-to-peak), with the longest being 128 months. The current expansion is 97 months old, and older if you count the cycle from its last peak. Hence, my use of "overdue."

Statistics aside, the Great Recession confounded the normal cycle by being so great -- it wrung a lot of sins out of the economy, and we haven't fully returned to our old evil ways yet. There are no immediate, obvious bubbles waiting to pop (except maybe student loan debt) so this expansion might still have some running room.

But I quibble. I think we agree that the next contraction will almost surely come during this administration, whether the precipitating event is two days or two years away.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Holman wrote:Right. And the Senate will soon go on vacation, allowing Trump to fire Sessions and make an incontestable recess appointment.
Probably not. Most "recesses" these days include pro-forma sessions where a member of the House or Senate gavels the body into session then right back out of session every couple of days.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Apparently they were chanting 'USA USA!' and 'Make America Great Again!' so yeah, we're doomed.
Most troops gave kids the option of not going to the speech, so really what you're seeing in those reactions are people who were enthusiastic that Trump was there.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fireball wrote:
Holman wrote:Right. And the Senate will soon go on vacation, allowing Trump to fire Sessions and make an incontestable recess appointment.
Probably not. Most "recesses" these days include pro-forma sessions where a member of the House or Senate gavels the body into session then right back out of session every couple of days.
Wasn't that essentially an anti Obama procedure. What need is there for it now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fireball wrote:
Wasn't the only point of that to deny recess appointments to Obama? I would assume that they would go into a regular recess for a Trump appointment, wouldn't they?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:
From that article I learned Jeff Sessions is an Eagle Scout. I feel gross. But the rest of it? Jesus. H. Christ.
He got his merit badge in lynching, I believe.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
He got his merit badge in lynching, I believe.
:lol:

Brutal.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It wasn't so overt. They called it "knot tying" instead.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
tgb

Post by tgb »

Speaking of Sessions, am I the only person who immediately thinks of Foghorn Leghorn every time he opens his mouth?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:
I heard about this while sitting at summer camp with my son. And the news of it physically nauseated me. My internet connection is crap out here, did he say anything even remotely uplifting in the speech?

I was really sad that my son did not express an interest in the Jambo this year. Now, not so sad.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tgb wrote:Speaking of Sessions, am I the only person who immediately thinks of Foghorn Leghorn every time he opens his mouth?
[raises hand]

Also, why is it that politicians with that almost over the top, saccharin-sweet Southern accent also have really effeminate (high pitched?) voices? Lindsay Graham has it, Sessions has it, and I bet I could find a few more examples (almost afraid to look). Just an odd observation on my part.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I thought it was an affectation - if I recall correctly it is a holdover from old aristocratic speech patterns of olde.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

All bashing of Sessions aside, it is a travesty that he has not yet investigated Hillary's emails. I can think of nothing more important and worthy of our tax dollars than finding out what an ex-politician did that in no way, shape, or form affects the present administration.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Who here has the constitution to watch the live-stream of the Ohio rally?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Smoove_B wrote:Who here has the constitution to watch the live-stream of the Ohio rally?
/roll 3d6

17!

I got this.

Clicks link.

/dies
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Trump with some over the top race-baiting at his rally tonight: https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/890004780143325185
The guy is sick.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That's some textbook slavery era dehumanizing going on right there. This is a disgusting man.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Holman

Post by Holman »

That's pure lynch/beating narrative. We've heard it before, thousands of times.

I thought we could do so much better.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Goebbels wrote: A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth
Huxley wrote:The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.

But really when you think about it, ALL the torturing, serial killers in US history have been immigrant alien predators.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

AWS260 wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Watching Trump address Boy Scout Jamboree. Said at beginning that he wouldn't bring politics into his speech. So couple minutes in he talks about repealing Obamacare. Scouts start chanting USA! USA! And now he talks about the loyalty of Boy Scouts and how we can use more loyalty. Scouts chant Make America Great Again! Very, umm late 1930s Germany. Also whining about fake news and how they will lie about crowd size.

Oh shit now he called out Obama for not coming to a jamboree. Will have to check that...
As a former Boy Scout who attended two national jamborees, this saddens and depresses me.

I'm glad my son has a great scouting group that's not affiliated with the BSA.
Never been to a Jamboree yet, but my son is in the Scouts and I've been an adult leader for many years (more prominently in Cub Scouts, less so now that he's older and in Boy Scouts). My son's actually at Boy Scout Summer Camp right now in Idaho. This is what I received from our council regarding Trump's speech:
President Trump's Speech at Jamboree

I want to thank the many people who called or emailed their opinion to me today in response to the speech delivered by President Trump yesterday to Scouts at the National Jamboree in West Virginia.

While I was honored to serve as a volunteer at the jamboree personally for several days, my schedule did not allow me to remain in West Virginia this week. As a result, I flew home Sunday evening and then watched President Trump's speech on Monday via a livestream from Oregon.

Early this morning, one person (who shared her opinion) suggested that Trump's speech and actions present a very teachable moment for our Scouts, but also for all of us. I tend to agree and I am confident that our leaders and parents along with fellow Scouts will take time to reflect on what was said. I am optimistic that today's youth will be very engaged in future elections as part of their civic duty. Reflective discussions with mentors and role models (such as Scout leaders and parents), will help instill a core set of values such as respect for differences and diversity of opinion. These and other core values of Scouting such as "service above self" are constantly reinforced by volunteers, parents and fellow Scouts. As an aside, thousands of Scouts attending the jamboree are rolling out into the state of West Virginia to perform community service projects. While at the jamboree I was personally inspired by the selfless acts of servant leadership. I am most grateful to our group of volunteers and parents who have made it possible for hundreds of our local youth to participate in this life-changing program.

As you may know, the BSA is wholly non-partisan and does not favor the interests of one political candidate over another. We do not promote nor endorse any one position, product, service, political candidate or philosophy. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition and is in no way an endorsement of any political party or specific policies.

I will not presuppose what other people, including our Scouts and their parents, believe. However, I do have faith that our Scouts, volunteers and leaders will use this as a teachable moment and have intelligent reflective discussion as a result.

Last but not least, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke to a crowd of Scouts at the jamboree last Friday. I was honored and humbled to be sitting about 40 feet away from Secretary Tillerson while he shared a very amazing, inspirational and nonpolitical message. Sadly the media barely covered it. A few key points of his excellent message are shared in this article:

Thank you very much.

Matthew S. (Matt) Devore
Scout Executive / CEO
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
Cascade Pacific Council
BSA is definitely taking some flak for Trump being Trump, but I think the blame is squarely on Trump for this. It's not like the Scouts made a special invitation to him to come and speak, and, as a professed non-partisan organization, they'd be hard-pressed to exclude Trump. Everything about having this man as our president is incredibly sad.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Last but not least, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke to a crowd of Scouts at the jamboree last Friday. I was honored and humbled to be sitting about 40 feet away from Secretary Tillerson while he shared a very amazing, inspirational and nonpolitical message. Sadly the media barely covered it. A few key points of his excellent message are shared in this article:

Thank you very much.

Matthew S. (Matt) Devore
Scout Executive / CEO
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
Cascade Pacific Council
That last bit bugs me. Of course "the media barely covered" Tillerson's speech. That's because the Sec of State delivering a speech to Boy Scouts isn't particularly newsworthy. It's a very normal thing for a political leader to do and I'm glad he did it, but no one really cares.

Trump's speech wouldn't have been newsworthy either, if he hadn't gone batshit insane.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Tweeting out military personnel policy decisions first thing in the morning is totally normal now. Awesome.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote:Tweeting out military personnel policy decisions first thing in the morning is totally normal now. Awesome.
I was just coming in here to post about that.

According to the Trumpster, if you're transgender, there's no place in the military for you anymore.
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

What an asshole.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I beat msteelers! Winning bigly!
Hodor.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

pr0ner wrote:I beat msteelers! Winning bigly!
Damn you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, that lasted all of twenty-five days. I'm sure the lawyers are already scrambling.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.