The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 pm Trump wants to add a space czar. The dude really has a hardon for all things Russia.
It's about John Denver. Apparently the end of verse 4 tells us how this'll go.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well, it was probably only a matter of time before they trotted out this this old excuse.
President Trump has vowed to "do something" about the violence in games and films watched by younger people.

In a meeting at the White House on school safety, President Trump said the violence played a role in shaping the way people saw the world.

The meeting was held the week after a school shooting in Florida in which 17 people died.

Many experts say research has not demonstrated a link between video games and violence.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm Well, it was probably only a matter of time before they trotted out this this old excuse.
President Trump has vowed to "do something" about the violence in games and films watched by younger people.

In a meeting at the White House on school safety, President Trump said the violence played a role in shaping the way people saw the world.

The meeting was held the week after a school shooting in Florida in which 17 people died.

Many experts say research has not demonstrated a link between video games and violence.
The best part is when Trump suggested that there should be some sort of ratings systems for movies (seriously).
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Apparently Trump's CPAC speech was his usual style stump speech full of his greatest hits and blatant lies. MOTS, really.
Hodor.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 pm Image
What is wrong with this? I routinely take notes just like these into business meetings when I'm talking to a customer about concerns or seeking feedback.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Enough

Post by Enough »

msduncan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:37 pm
What is wrong with this? I routinely take notes just like these into business meetings when I'm talking to a customer about concerns or seeking feedback.
I tend to agree. I mean really, as I'm sure MSD will agree, there are so many other areas POTUS is richly deserving derision. This is more of gotcha journalism that all presidents get, aka not all that big of a deal. At least they were trying to help him be a comforting presence.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msduncan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:37 pm What is wrong with this? I routinely take notes just like these into business meetings when I'm talking to a customer about concerns or seeking feedback.
Holman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:03 pm That picture is everywhere, but I haven't seen anyone comment on the most notable thing: we have plenty of samples, and that list is absolutely not his handwriting.
Off of my initial research, he doesn't use lower-case letters, especially noticeable on the letter R.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msduncan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:37 pm
Yeah, I can't stand Trump, but I think the media chastising him over this is ridiculous. He's going to have a meeting with a lot of different people talking, all with their own issues and agendas that could go a lot of places. I don't see a problem with him making sure that he has his own points and as a reminder that he asks the questions he feels important to ask of the participants. It would be so easy to get lost in the discussion.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Who cares whose handwriting it is? If someone tried to prep him, *good*. If he used that prep, *good*.

The usage of notes (even someone else’s notes), is not a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think the derision comes from the last note, "I hear you." As if his empathy has to be written down so he can remember to use it.

I take notes into vendor meetings as well, but I don't have to write down, "Tell them to have a safe flight back."
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:I think the derision comes from the last note, "I hear you." As if his empathy has to be written down so he can remember to use it.

I take notes into vendor meetings as well, but I don't have to write down, "Tell them to have a safe flight back."
This.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm I think the derision comes from the last note, "I hear you." As if his empathy has to be written down so he can remember to use it.

On the surface it might look like that, but I have shorthand for all kinds of things. That bullet might have been meant to remind himself to go over his next steps and how he's planning to address their concerns with them. Or, an exercise I do frequently, to repeat back what he's hearing from them to them so that he doesn't miss anything.
It's 34 bowl victories.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msduncan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm I think the derision comes from the last note, "I hear you." As if his empathy has to be written down so he can remember to use it.

On the surface it might look like that, but I have shorthand for all kinds of things. That bullet might have been meant to remind himself to go over his next steps and how he's planning to address their concerns with them. Or, an exercise I do frequently, to repeat back what he's hearing from them to them so that he doesn't miss anything.
FWIW I think this is more an opportunity to make fun of Trump, as opposed to a serious criticism (though I'm sure that there are some #HotTakes out there on this too).
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maybe Trump's hearing is failing, and due to his addled cognitive facilities he needs a reminder to lie to people about being able to hear what they just said, in a literal sense. I mean, "I hear you" in the sense of "I have empathy for your pain" or "I understand where you're coming from" is a namby-pamby liberal mollycoddler expression -- an alpha like Trump would never use it. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's that these notes are quite basic. I live and die by my notes from meetings, but they cover substance.

It is Trump's own fault that he is considered an intellectual lightweight who can't read. It is Trump's own hubris after criticizing Obama for using a teleprompter to deliver an eloquent speech.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You take notes into meetings where you need to make sure all relevant points are covered so that there are no arguments later about what was covered (also why minutes exist).

These notes are to keep Drumpf from appearing like himself, a narcissistic, unaware, anti-intellectual, apathetic, empathy-less, bored, self indulgent, empty suit.

The idea that he had any idea how to handle a meeting with bereft grieving families without someone giving him instructions is ludicrous given a year's worth of evidence.

Business meetings with vendors are exactly like providing comfort, support and empathy for people undergoing tremendous psychological trauma.

I reject everyones' attempt to normalize his notes in this situation. This is not normal, or needed, for almost anyone who has spent 70+ years of life on this earth surrounded by other human beings.

Unless you think you need notes talking to your own families about loss, why would you suddenly need them when talking to other peoples' families?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I would love notes on how to talk to my family about loss. I went to a funeral on Wednesday and spent most of the 2-hour ride thinking about what to say. In the end I managed a weak “sorry”.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

YellowKing wrote:I think the derision comes from the last note, "I hear you." As if his empathy has to be written down so he can remember to use it.

Again, I sort of get it, but if all the things that this man has done to the Office and the Country, a reminder from his staff to be a goddamn human being doesn’t make the list.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

But it does help reinforce the narrative that he's a tone-deaf out of touch self-centered septuagenarian.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm Again, I sort of get it, but if all the things that this man has done to the Office and the Country, a reminder from his staff to be a goddamn human being doesn’t make the list.
I think you underestimate how much bandwidth the American public has for being both outraged by his actions and amused by his buffoonery.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

msteelers wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:03 pm I would love notes on how to talk to my family about loss. I went to a funeral on Wednesday and spent most of the 2-hour ride thinking about what to say. In the end I managed a weak “sorry”.
By the time you're 70 you've had some practice.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Again, I sort of get it, but if all the things that this man has done to the Office and the Country, a reminder from his staff to be a goddamn human being doesn’t make the list.
Why not? The list isn't limited to a certain number. We can list them all, what's the harm?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

msteelers wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:03 pm I would love notes on how to talk to my family about loss. I went to a funeral on Wednesday and spent most of the 2-hour ride thinking about what to say. In the end I managed a weak “sorry”.
Pro-tip: Don't sit there looking bored and disconnected, with the notes dangling from your tiny fingers for all to see.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Unagi wrote:Why not? The list isn't limited to a certain number. We can list them all, what's the harm?
Because including dumb things like this is petty and would undermine the list by including worthless things like this on it.
Make up bags of change
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I hear you.

or rather perhaps #ihearyou is a nice ironic phrase that could actually say a lot.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Saying "I hear you" to a bunch of shooting victims is a bit more consequential than telling someone to "have a nice flight". I've been in large discussions before and it is very easy to forget the obvious points you want to make. I don' know how many times I've thought, "Shoot, I mean to say X before I finished". People give Trump crap for not being prepared and here he is prepared and now people give him a hard time for it. Again, it's ridiculous.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Trump, the man, didn't prepare for any of this. Kudos to the folks in his administration for getting that point on his list though.

I think what you guys are seeing and reacting to is mostly that no one want's Trump to score any god damn points because 17 kids were killed. Not in any way should he earn a single god damn point in this event. Just cause.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Grifman wrote:People give Trump crap for not being prepared and here he is prepared and now people give him a hard time for it. Again, it's ridiculous.
I plan to give him crap at every opportunity because the guy is an incoherent moron and a danger to the country. If some of them are unfair, then boo hoo. The guy gets ZERO benefit of the doubt from me. He's an atrocious human being.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The dumb list is just part of Trump's whole package of narcissism and insincerity.

Obama showed up and spent a long time with the families collectively and then individually. His public words were stirring. There was never any doubt that he cared. (This was something that Trump and the Republicans actually mocked him for.)

Trump shows up and spends about half an hour with all of them before cutting out for a disco-themes fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago that night. In public he needs flash cards.

There's at least one account from a victim who describes Trump as stilted and inattentive even while he was talking to her.

The list on its own is a little thing, but it's a marker of the general soullessness that makes him unworthy of respect, let alone the presidency.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I tend to agree that it is a funny thing to point out, but a silly thing to focus on. The more we make arguments based on easily dismissed nonsense, the less weight our real arguments carry. Wolf, wolf, wolf.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

On a completely unrelated note, I'm getting severe lag when typing a post on OO. It's only on this forum. Anyone else experiencing this?
It's 34 bowl victories.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There are a few traits I would expect in someone who claims to be the leader of the free world. Being able to naturally show empathy towards victims of a horrible tragedy in your country without needing cue cards is one of those. YMMV.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
milo

Post by milo »

msduncan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 am On a completely unrelated note, I'm getting severe lag when typing a post on OO. It's only on this forum. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes
--milo
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm You take notes into meetings where you need to make sure all relevant points are covered so that there are no arguments later about what was covered (also why minutes exist).

These notes are to keep Drumpf from appearing like himself, a narcissistic, unaware, anti-intellectual, apathetic, empathy-less, bored, self indulgent, empty suit.

The idea that he had any idea how to handle a meeting with bereft grieving families without someone giving him instructions is ludicrous given a year's worth of evidence.

Business meetings with vendors are exactly like providing comfort, support and empathy for people undergoing tremendous psychological trauma.

I reject everyones' attempt to normalize his notes in this situation. This is not normal, or needed, for almost anyone who has spent 70+ years of life on this earth surrounded by other human beings.

Unless you think you need notes talking to your own families about loss, why would you suddenly need them when talking to other peoples' families?
I agree with all of this. Are Trump’s notes a big deal? No. But they are further evidence (as if needed) that Trump is entirely deficient as a President and a person.

As said before, these aren’t notes with details about proposed policy or notes with personal details about the victims that might help Trump make a connection. They didn’t include difficult to remember details about anything. They were crib notes on how to be a decent human being, something I would hope the President of the United States would not need in this context.

Also, how stupid can you be to bring these notes into that meeting and display them for all to see? In some ways, that’s doubly bad. Not only does he need notes on basic empathy, he isn’t even self aware enough to realize that needing those notes should be a source of embarrassment.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

milo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:50 pm
msduncan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 am On a completely unrelated note, I'm getting severe lag when typing a post on OO. It's only on this forum. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes
I'm not seeing it, but my wife posted on another forum that uses the same software and is getting the same slowdown.

I'd guess it's a bug with the forum software, or some remote process they use running slowly.

Edit: Also try updating your browser and if that doesn't work try hitting the page without extensions enabled.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Here's a scenario. Your spouse was killed in a car accident or died after a long fight with cancer.

The mayor of your town meets with you to express his sorrow and to tell you they are going to fix the intersection or set up a fund for cancer research.

Your world has been devastated, and during the meeting, the mayor sits back, crosses his arms, checks his notes and tells you that he hears you.

You then see his notes with the words "I hear you" written on them.

Are you comforted? Are you understanding that it's an awkward situation and the mayor might not know what to say to you? Do you think to yourself "well I need notes to meet with vendors, and this is basically the same thing". Do you vote for him in the next election?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 pmAre you comforted?
As someone that has been schooled in and has professionally used crisis-communication skills, once of the worst things you can do during an emergency is fake empathy. With that said, "I hear you" isn't an attempt at being sympathetic or empathetic. Instead, it's a neutral statement that (at best) could trend towards sympathy. By saying it, you're simply providing feedback to the person(s) impacted. It's an important first step, but it's not the end point. After telling someone you're hearing them, you then follow up with your response in how you're going to help. If you can empathize and truly relate to what they've experienced, it's appropriate to share that. If you can't, you can certainly be a human and let them know that not only have you heard them, but you acknowledge the gravity of the situation and that you want to help (sympathize).

Some people are naturally good at this; others need training and practice. Handing the leader of the free world a crib sheet with a reminder - that he seemingly is unable to even consider or discreetly hold - is embarrassing.

In summary, it doesn't rate in my top 10 complaints of Trump. Maybe not even top 50. But it absolutely underscores just how awful he is and what a terrible choice he was for someone to be in this type of position.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm
In summary, it doesn't rate in my top 10 complaints of Trump. Maybe not even top 50. But it absolutely underscores just how awful he is and what a terrible choice he was for someone to be in this type of position.
That I agree with. It adds an exclamation point - to the end of a novel.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm In summary, it doesn't rate in my top 10 complaints of Trump. Maybe not even top 50. But it absolutely underscores just how awful he is and what a terrible choice he was for someone to be in this type of position.
No one is calling for impeachment based on some notes in his hand. I take exception to Rmn9 and others who suggest criticizing him for not being able to handle a delicate situation weakens other criticisms, like trying to start a nuke fight with NK. I consider it a very real problem of his. It doesn't mean every president has to be able to handle a crisis telephone line, but it does show another quality that he is sorely lacking. At this point I am unsure of what, if any, skills Drumpf has, besides riling up those who want to be riled up.

As you say, it's just another example of what a hollow human being he is. That said, he could do some real damage to people who are traumatized. He shouldn't be allowed to address the victims or their families on television, let alone in person.

Why on earth would a fully actualized human being have to fake empathy in this situation?

I fully understand the nature of the expression "I hear you". It only works when supported by other statements. If you simply read the notes 1 at a time and waited for a response, then read the next one, Drumpf might be able to pass a turing test. Any sort of off the cuff, attempt at an emotional response from him is most likely to set the machine's alarms off.