The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like we're six months away from officially adopting Lysenkoism.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

PSA
wikipedia wrote:Lysenkoism (Russian: Лысе́нковщина, tr. Lysenkovshchina) was a political campaign conducted by Trofim Lysenko, his followers and Soviet authorities against genetics and science-based agriculture. Lysenko served as the director of the Soviet Union's Lenin All-Union Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jesus Smoove....making us work for those esoteric references, huh? Who are you, Dennis freaking Miller? :p
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got you, Smoove. I’m picking up what you’re putting down.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Trump, this morning:

Spoiler:
The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad. Don’t fall for it! Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love! #Troublemakers
Trump, last night:
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Somebody get Becky down on the left to see the manager ASAP!

Post by Default »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:20 pm Somebody get Becky down on the left to see the manager ASAP!
Quick! Walmart wants their greeter back!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Make it stop.
Pres. @realDonaldTrump: "You don't hand matches to an arsonist and you don't give power to an angry left-wing mob - and that's what they've become. The Democrats have become too extreme and too dangerous to govern. Republicans believe in the rule of law, not the rule of the mob."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, that's not fair at all. The GOP also believes in rule of the minority, as long as they're that minority.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He is so good at describing his rise to power in his opposition.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:33 am Make it stop.
Pres. @realDonaldTrump: "You don't hand matches to an arsonist and you don't give power to an angry left-wing mob - and that's what they've become. The Democrats have become too extreme and too dangerous to govern. Republicans believe in the rule of law, not the rule of the mob."

Next step: "Until we can figure out what's going on, we're going to keep Trump and all GOP elected officials in office. It's for your own good, and will be temporary. We promise."

Doesn't sound quite as crazy anymore. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Make it stop.
As Mr Fed tweeted, but there aren't fine people on both sides in these protests?

Hmmm...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So when Obama was elected, South Park did an episode making fun of the left (EVERYTHING is gonna change!) and the right (It's the end of the world!) where Obama and McCain were part of the same Ocean's Eleven type gang and it was all an elaborate con and it didn't matter who was elected, as they were ready to do their heist no matter who was in the WH. The entire thing was "turd sandwich vs. giant douche" all over again.

When Drumpf was elected (and during his entire campaign run), South Park had Mr. Garrison (who was also elected Prez) talking about fucking everything to death. His solution for any problem that crossed his desk is to fuck it to death. He says this repeatedly at his rallies to great applause.

That's a bit of a different tone.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:51 pm So when Obama was elected, South Park did an episode making fun of the left (EVERYTHING is gonna change!) and the right (It's the end of the world!) where Obama and McCain were part of the same Ocean's Eleven type gang and it was all an elaborate con and it didn't matter who was elected, as they were ready to do their heist no matter who was in the WH. The entire thing was "turd sandwich vs. giant douche" all over again.

When Drumpf was elected (and during his entire campaign run), South Park had Mr. Garrison (who was also elected Prez) talking about fucking everything to death. His solution for any problem that crossed his desk is to fuck it to death. He says this repeatedly at his rallies to great applause.

That's a bit of a different tone.
That's because previously, being President was like taking the helm of an aircraft carrier for 20 minutes. You could steer it a bit but you couldn't really turn it around responsibly. Consecutive presidents understood and and would generally keep it on course. If your goal was to turn it around, you did what you could in your limited time but were careful not to make unsave changes in course. Mostly because they were vetted and understood that rule. Hence the former South Park example. Obama or McCain would have followed the maritime law while altering the course ever so slightly in their preferred direction. They're all out of the same Academy, after all.

But with Trump, we broke Francesco Schettino out of jail, got him drunk, and gave him the helm. He's put a disco ball on the bridge and is spinning the ship's wheel like Pat Sajak. Fuck it to death.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Our piece of shit president’s op ed in USA Today is an amazing compilation of easily disproven “facts” and not so subtle calls for war against Dems.

I really hope someone increases his fried chicken and cheeseburger allowance soon.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 pm Our piece of shit president’s op ed in USA Today is an amazing compilation of easily disproven “facts” and not so subtle calls for war against Dems.

I really hope someone increases his fried chicken and cheeseburger allowance soon.
Wonder who wrote that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 pm Worth a read:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018 ... -trump.htm

Surreal.
That was actually more coherent and relatively on point than I would have expected. On point in this case refers to his desire to convince the author of his viewpoint.

I think that says a lot about my view of drumpf, and not good things.

That the president thinks the best way to convince people is to repeat himself over and over again with little variation, new information, or reasoning, is a pretty good sign of how good a negotiator he is.

I particularly like the hugging at the end. So awesome.

He's a man-baby with an inferiority complex, desperate to be liked. And in my opinion, that is one of his better qualities.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:49 am That's because previously, being President was like taking the helm of an aircraft carrier for 20 minutes. You could steer it a bit but you couldn't really turn it around responsibly.
More like they "all" put us at left ten degrees rudder and tied it off on the course toward globalism as long as they could throw a war or two in occasionally to keep the military industrial complex happy too. :wink:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Would this be the same military industrial complex that Trump has repeatedly said he wants to increase spending on?

Or do you mean Russia’s military industrial complex? :ninja:
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 am Would this be the same military industrial complex that Trump has repeatedly said he wants to increase spending on?
I think he does that to appease a segment of his voters that he needed to win, not because he really wants to. Same thing with anything his religious voters are concerned with like abortion for example. That's reason Pence is VP, none of us here would rather have him as POTUS I'm pretty sure? I'd have preferred to have the libertarians on board instead of the soon to die old religious folks and war hawks, but that's not the way Trump went.
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, it's good to know that even his supporters know he's lying most of the time. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:40 am Well, it's good to know that even his supporters know he's lying most of the time. :mrgreen:
Isn't that #1 on the qualification list for his current job? I think his opponent had even better credentials in this regard, and still today he's her President. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently #1 was the ability to fool a bunch of idiots. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AOL
President Donald Trump took aim at the Me Too movement once again on Wednesday night, saying he wasn’t allowed to utter certain phrases because they were no longer politically correct.

Trump, speaking at a rally in Erie, Pennsylvania, was reflecting on his election nearly two years ago and spoke about winning Pennsylvania in the 2016 presidential race. He said that for many years Republicans had been unable to capture those electoral college votes, and then he said there was an expression he wanted to use to describe the state, but he had to censor himself because the media was present.

“Every Republican thinks they are going to win Pennsylvania, but I got it. I’d use an expression, you know there’s an expression, but under the rules of Me Too I’m not allowed to use that expression anymore, I can’t do it,” Trump said. “It’s the ‘person’ that got away.”

The phrase the president was likely referencing was the Frank Sinatra song title, “The Gal That Got Away,” his cover of “The Man That Got Away” from the 1954 film “A Star Is Born.”

When someone in the audience shouted for the president to use the words anyway, Trump said: “I would do it except for these people up there,” pointing to the media. “There is an expression, but we’ll change the expression. Pennsylvania was always the ‘person’ that got away.”
Always keeping it hip for the kiddies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 am Always keeping it hip for the kiddies.
Agreed, the people Trump referred to behind the cameras and microphones are infantile. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 am

Surreal.
That was actually more coherent and relatively on point than I would have expected. On point in this case refers to his desire to convince the author of his viewpoint.

I think that says a lot about my view of drumpf, and not good things.

That the president thinks the best way to convince people is to repeat himself over and over again with little variation, new information, or reasoning, is a pretty good sign of how good a negotiator he is.

I particularly like the hugging at the end. So awesome.

He's a man-baby with an inferiority complex, desperate to be liked. And in my opinion, that is one of his better qualities.
It’s funny. The most effective thing the press can do is to just let Trump and his administration tell their story in their own words. I found that article so much more illuminating and (damaging to Trump) than the bloviating of the cable news talking heads and op ed writers.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 am It’s funny. The most effective thing the press can do is to just let Trump and his administration tell their story in their own words. I found that article so much more illuminating and (damaging to Trump) than the bloviating of the cable news talking heads and op ed writers.
Fair enough.

I don't watch cable news, and I think I mentioned recently that I don't give much credence to op eds on either side.

While this is a lengthier than normal look at drumpf up close, the truth is he is publicly just as awful on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be an opinion piece, or a "behind the scenes" piece to know what drumpf is.

Just watch a clip from one of his rallies. It's right there for all the world to see. Watch the whole thing so you know you're not getting it out of context by some gotcha reporting. Like I said, the article portrayed him as more coherent than I expected, and my expectations are based on watching and reading him in action.

Watch him at a press conference. Watch him meet world leaders. You (the global you) knew what drumpf was the moment he talked about his crowd size vs. Obama's. You (again, global you) knew what he was the moment he started campaigning in earnest.

I'm not complaining to you, exactly, and I'm certainly not complaining about you, but it's frustrating to hear how that article was illuminating. It was not illuminating, because we should already know what he is by now. And you don't have to be politically savvy or even pay very close attention to know it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Surreal.
I wish she had published the list of accomplishments.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am
Kurth wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 am It’s funny. The most effective thing the press can do is to just let Trump and his administration tell their story in their own words. I found that article so much more illuminating and (damaging to Trump) than the bloviating of the cable news talking heads and op ed writers.
I'm not complaining to you, exactly, and I'm certainly not complaining about you, but it's frustrating to hear how that article was illuminating. It was not illuminating, because we should already know what he is by now. And you don't have to be politically savvy or even pay very close attention to know it.
Fair enough. "Illuminating" was a poor choice of word with respect to Trump and his administration. I just thought it was interesting that by including extended, uninterrupted quotes from Trump and those at the meeting, the article drove home the point that they are who we thought they were. (RIP Denny Green)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 pm
Fair enough. "Illuminating" was a poor choice of word with respect to Trump and his administration. I just thought it was interesting that by including extended, uninterrupted quotes from Trump and those at the meeting, the article drove home the point that they are who we thought they were. (RIP Denny Green)
No, I think illuminating is a good word, I'm not being combative, I'm just frustrated. As I said about my own experience, it was different than my expectations.

Illustrative, maybe?

Anyway, none of my comments were directed at you specifically, in case it felt like it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

Surreal.
I wish she had published the list of accomplishments.
I'd guess that half of them are undoing Obama accomplishments...which are really anti-accomplishments.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Sickening. Pathetic.

Thread:
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So who do you like as the next Secretary of Defense?

Trump calls Mattis 'sort of a Democrat' and says he 'may leave'
U.S. President Donald Trump said he is unsure whether Defense Secretary James Mattis is planning to step down from his post, but told CBS’ “60 Minutes” in a pre-taped interview that the retired general might and that he regards Mattis as “sort of a Democrat.”

“It could be that he is” planning to depart, Trump said, according to an excerpt of a transcript released on Sunday before the show airs. “I think he’s sort of a Democrat, if you want to know the truth. But General Mattis is a good guy. We get along very well. He may leave. I mean, at some point, everybody leaves. Everybody. People leave. That’s Washington.”

This marks the first time that the Republican president has publicly said anything negative about Mattis, who last month told reporters not to take seriously reports that he may be leaving.

Asked about Trump’s remarks, Pentagon spokesman Colonel Rob Manning said in a brief statement: “Secretary Mattis is laser-focused on doing his job — ensuring the U.S. military remains the most lethal force on the planet.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:25 pm So who do you like as the next Secretary of Defense?
Trump loves generals and doesn't give two shits about the American tradition of civilian control of the military.

Who hates Obama most? Put your money on Stanley McChrystal.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I can see Trump offering him the job, but McChrystal publicly stated that he would decline any offers from then-candidate Trump back in 2016. I doubt that the last couple of years has changed his mind on that front. Also, apparently he's an actual Democrat as opposed to a sort-of-Democrat like Mattis. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:25 pm So who do you like as the next Secretary of Defense?
Keep an eye on Bolton’s mustache. If it disappears or is trimmed, game over.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think Trump has made a huge mistake with the handling of the Saudi Arabia crap. I actually think this one could turn out very bad for him especially if real evidence comes forward. For the president to offer up a crazy conspiracy theory just blows my mind. When he can't sink any lower he always still finds a way.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 am I think Trump has made a huge mistake with the handling of the Saudi Arabia crap. I actually think this one could turn out very bad for him especially if real evidence comes forward. For the president to offer up a crazy conspiracy theory just blows my mind. When he can't sink any lower he always still finds a way.
I think you're drastically underestimating the Trump admin and the GOP's ability to completely ignore or handwave evidence of things. Trump has already said that selling arms to Saudi Arabia is way more important to America than whether or not they killed some non-US citizen journalist overseas. Even if evidence comes out, he'll just say that it's not real, not from a credible source, and who cares anyway?