The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:02 am "Under the normal rules", or as we like to call it, "The Constitution".
It's a relatively recent amendment to the constitution, give the guy sometime to catch up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holy shit - Bolton is out. I can't imagine what horror show clown this guy is going to announce. I assume his view is that Bolton wants to be tough on dictators and Trump wants to join the club.

Last edited by malchior on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I was just coming to post this. I'm shocked. I didn't think that was still possible.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

News is breaking now that Trump has fired John Bolton.

This administration made up of only the best people and not at all beset by internal chaos knows that suddenly dumping your National Security Adviser is the best way to handle simultaneously flaring crises with the Taliban, Iraq, North Korea, etc.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Amazing. One has to wonder if Trump even knew what he was getting when he hired Bolton in the first place.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure we're going to find out Bolton disagreed with the failed meeting from Sunday and his replacement will be the person that thought it was a great idea to meet with the Taliban at Camp David during the week of the 18th anniversary of 9/11.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm News is breaking now that Trump has fired John Bolton.

This administration made up of only the best people and not at all beset by internal chaos knows that suddenly dumping your National Security Adviser is the best way to handle simultaneously flaring crises with the Taliban, Iraq, North Korea, etc.
Nothing projects strength and stability like four National Security Advisers in 3 years with one in prison.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm I'm sure we're going to find out Bolton disagreed with the failed meeting from Sunday and his replacement will be the person that thought it was a great idea to meet with the Taliban at Camp David during the week of the 18th anniversary of 9/11.
Bolton may be a hawkish blowhard, but he would never have been okay with negotiating with the Taliban on US soil.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm News is breaking now that Trump has fired John Bolton.

Nothing projects strength and stability like four National Security Advisers in 3 years with one in prison.
CNBC
A federal judge on Tuesday tentatively set Dec. 18 for the criminal sentencing of Michael Flynn, President Donald Trump’s first national security advisor, according to multiple reports.

That date is exactly one year after Flynn’s first sentencing, which was aborted in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. by Judge Emmet Sullivan to Flynn’ additional time to complete his agreed-to cooperation with then-special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm I was just coming to post this. I'm shocked. I didn't think that was still possible.
Same. This is nuts.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove, according to the National Review (yeah, I know), Bolton was opposed to meeting with the Taliban while Pompeo was all for it and working to isolate Bolton. Seems like your hunch may be proven correct.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's just no way he's gone 3 days after that alleged meeting was going to take place and it's a coincidence. The mustache told Trump he was an idiot, the meeting imploded and now Trump needs to take it out on someone for "poisoning the well". He's about as predictable as they come and I have no doubts Bolton's replacement will never question dear leader's ideas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump tweeted that he fired Bolton last night.

Bolton himself just tweeted that he offered his resignation last night and that Trump said "Let's talk about it tomorrow."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm not all that sad that Bolton is gone, insofar as (among other things) that probably reduces the likelihood of war with Iran.

But that said, with Trump even the moves that I don't necessarily disagree with are done in a completely fucked up way.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm Trump tweeted that he fired Bolton last night.

Bolton himself just tweeted that he offered his resignation last night and that Trump said "Let's talk about it tomorrow."

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm I'm not all that sad that Bolton is gone, insofar as (among other things) that probably reduces the likelihood of war with Iran.
This administration will always, always somehow manage to find someone more horrible and less qualified.

Expect the announcement of Oilbaron McWarboner to that post tomorrow.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Every time Trump fires someone from his cabinet, I breathe a sigh of relief and figure Trump can't possibly find anyone worse for the position. And every time Trump proves me wrong.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm Every time Trump fires someone from his cabinet, I breathe a sigh of relief and figure Trump can't possibly find anyone worse for the position. And every time Trump proves me wrong.
So you're saying Trump exceeds your expectations? I'll mark that down in the tracking poll. ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:30 pm I'm not all that sad that Bolton is gone, insofar as (among other things) that probably reduces the likelihood of war with Iran.

But that said, with Trump even the moves that I don't necessarily disagree with are done in a completely fucked up way.
I'm also not sad about Bolton. He is a severe hawk of the ilk that got us into the mess we are in. There is a big but there...but at least Bolton has a grasp on what is going on. Whoever he drops in is almost certainly going in with a hand tied behind their back so I can only imagine we'll have another C-list political flunky appointed. Who can you get that'll support his insane approach to NK, Iran, and now Israel acting up (which is *not* a coincedence)?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently Bolton balked at sending the National guard to Alabama.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:08 pm Holy shit - Bolton is out. I can't imagine what horror show clown this guy is going to announce.
I can't imagine Jared has all that many friends left.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:20 pm Apparently Bolton balked at sending the National guard to Alabama.
Were they trying to forcibly integrate the hurricane?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And Fox News gets yet another commenter on their show. Or Bolton ends up in a conservative K Street think tank.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Trump had detention camps set up in Alabama to arrest the hurricane when it crossed into the state and separate it from its family.

I wonder if theres a betting pool on which family member or friend will get this new job?

And if its 2020 or 4 years later we will at least be able to fumigate all these people out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I don't think I've seen y'all say anything about this (and maybe it's in the foreign policy thread...Haven't made my way there yet) but with all this insanity we didn't even mention the fact he was going to hold peace talks with the taliban, at camp David, without the Afghan govt, 2 days before 9/11.

What words are left for this guy?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
malchior

Post by malchior »

GungHo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:26 pm I don't think I've seen y'all say anything about this (and maybe it's in the foreign policy thread...Haven't made my way there yet) but with all this insanity we didn't even mention the fact he was going to hold peace talks with the taliban, at camp David, without the Afghan govt, 2 days before 9/11.

I mentioned it in the Israel thread but apparently this was the subject of a heated argument with Trump on Monday night. By Tuesday night, Trump wanted Bolton gone. Bolton offered to resign but said they'd talk tomorrow. That of course meant Bolton fired via Tweet in the morning because he is a bully and a coward.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:30 pm
GungHo wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:26 pm I don't think I've seen y'all say anything about this (and maybe it's in the foreign policy thread...Haven't made my way there yet) but with all this insanity we didn't even mention the fact he was going to hold peace talks with the taliban, at camp David, without the Afghan govt, 2 days before 9/11.

I mentioned it in the Israel thread but apparently this was the subject of a heated argument with Trump on Monday night. By Tuesday night, Trump wanted Bolton gone. Bolton offered to resign but said they'd talk tomorrow. That of course meant Bolton fired via Tweet in the morning because he is a bully and a coward.

My bad..I see y'all are in fact all over this elsewhere. Carry on.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Afghan had already cancelled anything days before. Doofus just claimed he cancelled to make himself important.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

I was just chatting with a friend about the replacement - I just darkly came up with a choice that in retrospect sounds half-plausible...Erik Prince. He is Betsy's brother and tied up in Trump shenanigans. Maybe Gorka...he did after all have that Trumpy dust up in the Rose Garden.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump can't even get personnel management basics right. This administration is such a train wreck.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm I was just chatting with a friend about the replacement - I just darkly came up with a choice that in retrospect sounds half-plausible...Erik Prince.
...or just a mirror.
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 pm I was just chatting with a friend about the replacement - I just darkly came up with a choice that in retrospect sounds half-plausible...Erik Prince. He is Betsy's brother and tied up in Trump shenanigans. Maybe Gorka...he did after all have that Trumpy dust up in the Rose Garden.
I don't see Gorka getting re-hired by this administration, as dysfunctional as it is.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder if there is a law that specifically forbids the President from appointing himself to the cabinet...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've been reading for weeks that Bolton lost out to Pompeo and has been sitting on the sidelines. The US has effectively had no nat sec adviser for months, which is part of the reason the rest of the world has so much trouble negotiating with the current occupant of the white house. The nat sec adviser's role was created after WW2 as a linchpin or traffic cop to manage all of the interests involved in any given national security issue. He is supposed to be the go-to guy who has all of the answers and relevant experts at his fingertips, and speaks with one voice for all of them. The role has varied under different presidents, but Bolton was no longer speaking for anyone.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:47 pm #IHerebyOrder the end to war, hunger and homeless.
WaPo
President Trump has ordered White House officials to conduct a sweeping crackdown on homelessness in California, citing the state’s growing crisis, according to four government officials aware of the effort.

The talks have intensified in recent weeks. Administration officials have discussed using the federal government to get homeless people off the streets of Los Angeles and other areas and into new government-backed facilities, according to two officials briefed on the planning.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The homeless in LA live in tent cities. Probably much better than any Trump housing fiasco. He is probably trying to get kickbacks from construction contractors.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Aside from hurling insults at Democrat state and local politicians, there is one thing in that article that I believe Trump truly cares about.
A White House spokesman said Trump signed an executive order in June on affordable housing regulations, and that the administration is continuing to seek new solutions for homelessness. Trump’s executive order created a new White House council on eliminating “regulatory barriers” increasing the cost of building new housing, a move aimed at expanding the housing supply and driving down prices.
Gutting regulations that affect real estate developers seems on-brand.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

God damn this timeline for making me respect John Bolton even for a minute.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

While I didn't agree with Bolton's policies, he did have actual experience, which is much more than most Trump appointees have. It's not surprising that at some point that experience would conflict with Trump doing whatever the hell he wanted to do with no regard to the repercussions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN: John Bolton was fired, and the price of oil instantly fell