The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

Sorry about that tweet.

Normally I check up on context, but last night I didn't follow through. Apologies.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A good brief about why the White House can't staff.

The tldr; version - Trump is so insecure that anything but pure loyalty is unacceptable. And even if there is loyalty it is a one-way street and they'll burn people to the ground fro any reason. All stuff we knew before the election but increasingly magnified by the scope of the position.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Speaking of staffing...

White House cybersecurity official to return to the NSA
Rob Joyce, the White House cybersecurity coordinator, has announced he will return to the National Security Agency.

Joyce’s announced departure comes on the heels of the resignation of White House homeland security adviser Tom Bossert, and a number of other National Security Council officials. President Trump’s new national security adviser, John Bolton, began in the job last week, replacing H.R. McMaster.

Joyce, a career federal employee, will stay on as needed to facilitate the transition to his eventual replacement, White House officials said. He is currently also serving as the acting deputy homeland security adviser, which includes coordinating responses to natural disasters and monitoring terrorism threats.

Joyce, who was detailed to the White House from the NSA at the start of the Trump administration, has served more than 25 years at the spy agency. There, he held various leadership positions. He headed the elite hacking or “offensive” division, called Tailored Access Operations, which penetrated networks overseas to gather foreign intelligence.

He has also led the Information Assurance Directorate, which handled cybersecurity or defense of classified government networks. Both divisions have been folded into the agency’s new directorate of operations.
No worries, though. I'm sure the Trump administration will find the best and most loyal people to shore up the nations cybersecurity efforts leading into the upcoming elections.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'd rather have a guy like that at NSA running offense/defense than being ignored by idiots about the needs of defensive strategy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

California Governor Brown's response on the call for Guard troops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 am Sorry about that tweet.

Normally I check up on context, but last night I didn't follow through. Apologies.
Just do what I do: pass everything you post by Issie first. Sure, he’ll ocassionally add a “BAM” to indicate he worked on it, but it’s kept me from mistaking NAMBLA for NAFTA again, hasn’t it?
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 am Sorry about that tweet.

Just do what I do: pass everything you post by Issie first. Sure, he’ll ocassionally add a “BAM” to indicate he worked on it, but it’s kept me from mistaking NAMBLA for NAFTA again, hasn’t it?
By the way, just to reassure you, the one that Trump might cancel is NAFTA.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was at a NAFTA Auto Parts last week and they seemed to be doing well. :?
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump: Herp-a-derp-China-currency-manipulation-wharrgarbl

Treasury and Fed: This is...maybe what he means? Hell, we don't know either.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin sought Tuesday to explain away a head-scratching tweet from President Trump a day earlier accusing China and Russia of currency manipulation — a finding at odds with a report just issued by Mnuchin’s department.

The accusation, delivered without any evidence or corroboration, directly contradicted a report issued Friday by the Treasury Department. The report did not accuse either country of artificially lowering the value of its currency, Instead, it found that China’s currency had recently moved in a direction that should benefit U.S. exporters.

Asked about the contradiction Tuesday during an appearance on CNBC, Mnuchin offered this explanation: “It was a warning shot at China and Russia about devaluation.”

The White House is also trying to address confusion from Trump’s Twitter post that suggested he was furious at the Federal Reserve for moving to raise interest rates. The White House had not previously revealed what precisely Trump found to be “not acceptable!” and it led to some conjecture that he could be miffed that the central bank was raising interest rates.

“The President respects the independence of the Federal Reserve,” Lindsay Walters, deputy White House press secretary said Tuesday.
At this point, it's probably just easier (and more accurate) to simply say, "He saw it on Fox News." Everyone can then just give a knowing nod and continue on.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, this is comforting.
Two weeks ago, on a sparkling spring morning, we went trawling along Florida's coastal waterway. But not for fish.

We parked a 17-foot motor boat in a lagoon about 800 feet from the back lawn of The Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach and pointed a 2-foot wireless antenna that resembled a potato gun toward the club. Within a minute, we spotted three weakly encrypted Wi-Fi networks. We could have hacked them in less than five minutes, but we refrained.

A few days later, we drove through the grounds of the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey, with the same antenna and aimed it at the clubhouse. We identified two open Wi-Fi networks that anyone could join without a password. We resisted the temptation.

We have also visited two of President Donald Trump's other family-run retreats, the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., and a golf club in Sterling, Virginia. Our inspections found weak and open Wi-Fi networks, wireless printers without passwords, servers with outdated and vulnerable software, and unencrypted login pages to back-end databases containing sensitive information.

The risks posed by the lax security, experts say, go well beyond simple digital snooping. Sophisticated attackers could take advantage of vulnerabilities in the Wi-Fi networks to take over devices like computers or smart phones and use them to record conversations involving anyone on the premises.
I'd be interested to see a follow-up on this article.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Trump is known to be using a personal Android phone with no special encryption or security. I'm assuming that every intelligence agency in the world either routinely reads his phone's contents, records his conversations or uses it as a jumping-off point to access whatever wi-fi he happens to be on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is it normal for the President to not file his income tax returns on time? I'm honestly asking, I don't even know anymore.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

gilraen wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:55 pm Trump is known to be using a personal Android phone with no special encryption or security. I'm assuming that every intelligence agency in the world either routinely reads his phone's contents, records his conversations or uses it as a jumping-off point to access whatever wi-fi he happens to be on.
But does he use it for anything besides Twitter? We know he doesn't email, and I can assume that means he also doesn't use any kind of text messaging. We also know he liked to have articles printed out for him, so he's probably not doing much browsing.

I imagine the only things he's really using it for are Twitter (not super worrying since his tweets are public, and he's probably not DMing), and maybe phone calls. If he's calling, that's a problem. He might be using something like Signal if his main objection to electronic communication is that it's able to be saved and used against you, but I kind of doubt it. Of course, the real worry is if nefarious actors managed to compromise the phone and use it as a listening device, but I have no way to know how likely that is.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Chaz wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm Of course, the real worry is if nefarious actors managed to compromise the phone and use it as a listening device, but I have no way to know how likely that is.
It's ridiculously easy, especially when he travels to places like China and Korea (read: places with lots of hackers and easy access to sophisticated spy software).
malchior

Post by malchior »

gilraen wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 pm
Chaz wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm Of course, the real worry is if nefarious actors managed to compromise the phone and use it as a listening device, but I have no way to know how likely that is.
It's ridiculously easy, especially when he travels to places like China and Korea (read: places with lots of hackers and easy access to sophisticated spy software).
Correct. At one point in the last few years I was part of an unclassified briefing by a 3 letter agency about making sure that executives traveling to Asia did not use their own cell phones or even carry them on their person when visiting certain facilities.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:01 pm Is it normal for the President to not file his income tax returns on time? I'm honestly asking, I don't even know anymore.
I don't think it is unusual for complicated tax returns such as Trump's to seek extensions. I can't say Iv'e heard of presidents getting extensions before but most/all of them don't have the complicated returns and payments from Moscow that Trump has.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I see what you did there.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Trump gets his briefings from Fox News, so he is probably not privy to any classified information. At least, I hope he isn't.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 pm
Correct. At one point in the last few years I was part of an unclassified briefing by a 3 letter agency about making sure that executives traveling to Asia did not use their own cell phones or even carry them on their person when visiting certain facilities.
NEA?
Black Lives Matter.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

REVOLUTION!!! YOU ARE IN A REVOLUTION!!! PREPARE TO WATER THE TREES OF FREEDOM WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS!!!

California is apparently in revolution. Good luck guys!

And apparently Breeding is happening. Damn immigrentss always breeding!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 8477868032
Spoiler:
There is a Revolution going on in California. Soooo many Sanctuary areas want OUT of this ridiculous, crime infested & breeding concept. Jerry Brown is trying to back out of the National Guard at the Border, but the people of the State are not happy. Want Security & Safety NOW!
Now I don't know a lot, but calling something a revolution in America harks back to some oh, colonial days, 2nd amendment, I don't know.
Last edited by Stefan Stirzaker on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:01 pm Is it normal for the President to not file his income tax returns on time? I'm honestly asking, I don't even know anymore.
I don't think it is unusual for complicated tax returns such as Trump's to seek extensions. I can't say Iv'e heard of presidents getting extensions before but most/all of them don't have the complicated returns and payments from Moscow that Trump has.
So while we've established that it's not legally required for Presidential candidates to release their tax returns, is that also the case for a sitting President? Or are Presidents required to release those? If so, are we now about to see another extension request until after the midterms to delay the release of damaging info?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 pm
So while we've established that it's not legally required for Presidential candidates to release their tax returns, is that also the case for a sitting President? Or are Presidents required to release those? If so, are we now about to see another extension request until after the midterms to delay the release of damaging info?
You seem to be assuming that the damaging info will be released?

Anywho, no there's no legal requirement for anyone (sitting president or otherwise) to release their tax returns. It's a matter of custom for the past 50-ish years.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 am REVOLUTION!!! YOU ARE IN A REVOLUTION!!! PREPARE TO WATER THE TREES OF FREEDOM WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS!!!

California is apparently in revolution. Good luck guys!

And apparently Breeding is happening. Damn immigrentss always breeding!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 8477868032
Spoiler:
There is a Revolution going on in California. Soooo many Sanctuary areas want OUT of this ridiculous, crime infested & breeding concept. Jerry Brown is trying to back out of the National Guard at the Border, but the people of the State are not happy. Want Security & Safety NOW!
Now I don't know a lot, but calling something a revolution in America harks back to some oh, colonial days, 2nd amendment, I don't know.
Where are all those states' rights people now?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I think we can safely say the DoJ IG has been corrupted:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... or-general
The Justice Department’s inspector general has referred its findings on former deputy director of the FBI Andrew McCabe to the U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C. for possible criminal charges, CNN and the Washington Post reported Thursday afternoon.
The charges were questionable at best, and a criminal referral is absolutely ridiculous.

Apparently the referral has been with the Washington US Attorney for a while, so hopefully this means they are opting to not press charges.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He might very well be corrupt but he's not been put in place via Trump's loyalty test

https://oig.justice.gov/about/meet-ig.htm
PLW

Post by PLW »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 pm I think we can safely say the DoJ IG has been corrupted:
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... or-general
The Justice Department’s inspector general has referred its findings on former deputy director of the FBI Andrew McCabe to the U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C. for possible criminal charges, CNN and the Washington Post reported Thursday afternoon.
The charges were questionable at best, and a criminal referral is absolutely ridiculous.

Apparently the referral has been with the Washington US Attorney for a while, so hopefully this means they are opting to not press charges.
I don't know.. Dude seems like a straight arrow to me, and I don't see much evidence of ties to Trump or even to Republicans, in general.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Excellent analysis of the McCabe report.
What McCabe did is probably indistinguishable from the kind of lying and half-lying that happens in every corner of government every day of the week. He would have gotten away with it if the FBI and Justice Department had not become the focus of historic partisan ire.
He got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Just bad luck for a bureaucrat. The interesting subtext though is that McCabe wasn't trying to scuttle the Clinton Foundation investigation as Trump claims. He was *protecting it*. He leaked to rebut claims that there was interference in the Clinton investigation and the nice side effect was it was a career boost to himself.

Edit: As to the IG - I think you have to view it through the lens that there is tremendous pressure generated when the President acts like he does. That is the entire problem with his interference with the DOJ. As Comey said last year - it has echoes of 'Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?'
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 pm
This was my original thought as well. Seems like it would be standard practice that they submit the findings for review, and only becomes concerning if/when they decide to actually press charges.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rough but deserved - Ted Cruz is a stain.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Rudy just joined Trump's legal team and vows to get the investigation shut down. :law-policeblue:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Enough wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm Rudy just joined Trump's legal team and vows to get the investigation shut down. :law-policeblue:
I'm thinking it's far more likely his mouth gets him indicted too.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 pm
Enough wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm Rudy just joined Trump's legal team and vows to get the investigation shut down. :law-policeblue:
Rudy has some ulterior motives too perhaps.
Giuliani was also a vice chairman of the Trump transition team, whose activities have come under scrutiny by Mueller’s investigators, and he also agreed to serve as a cybersecurity adviser to the Trump administration, although there have been few signs of his involvement on that front.

The former New York mayor has also represented Reza Zarrab, a Turkish-Iranian gold trader charged in the U.S. for helping Iran skirt sanctions. Just weeks before Trump’s inauguration, Michael Flynn, then the incoming national security adviser, reportedly included Zarrab in talks with Turkish officials and was seeking her release as part of a larger diplomatic exchange that later came under Mueller’s scrutiny.

Giuliani met with Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, early last year in an effort to resolve the charges against Zarrab. In addition, the law firm from which Giuliani is now taking leave, Greenberg Traurig, is a registered lobbyist in the U.S. for the Turkish government.

Flynn’s guilty plea on a false statement charge last December included an admission that in filings with the Justice Department he misrepresented his work for the Turkish government.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Obviously Trump doesn't trust any lawyer who doesn't stand to get indicted with him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 pm
:pray:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I give Giuliani a month before Drumpf fires him or a scandal forces him to quit.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 am I give Giuliani a month before Drumpf fires him or a scandal forces him to quit.
That saddens me because it carries the implication that Trump will remain in office for longer than another month.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

If anyone placed any long shot bets on Drumpf nationalizing an industry, you might be in for a windfall...
Trump's Latest Plan for Saving Coal Comes From the Cold War
Now, more than a half century later, Trump administration officials are considering using the same statute to keep struggling coal and nuclear power plants online, according to four people familiar with the discussions who asked for anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

Under the approach, the administration would invoke sweeping authority in the 68-year-old Defense Production Act, which allows the president to effectively nationalize private industry to ensure the U.S. has resources that could be needed amid a war or after a disaster.
The law allows the president to allocate and prioritize contracts for materials, equipment and services. It also empowers the president to provide incentives to modernize and expand the production capacity of critical resources such as energy -- including buying equipment for private companies to use.
I'll be honest... the Republican version of a free market is different than I expected what with all the socialism talk the last few years. :|
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat from West Virginia, urged President Donald Trump to employ the statute in a letter Wednesday.
But the administration has struggled to find an approach that can survive scrutiny from the courts and independent energy regulators. A proposal to subsidize some power plants was unanimously rejected by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in January. And doubts have risen within the White House about a request by a FirstEnergy Corp. subsidiary for the government to declare a grid emergency and guarantee profits for coal and nuclear plants using a legal authority generally reserved for emergencies such as war.

Administration officials are researching the law that Truman invoked on behalf of steel as a possible alternative. The statute classifies energy as a "strategic and critical material" and gives the president wide latitude to protect providers, including by ordering businesses to accept contracts for materials and services. It was previously invoked in 2001 to keep natural gas flowing to California utilities to avoid electrical blackouts.
The Defense Department, for example, bought semiconductor manufacturing equipment so companies could churn out radiation-hardened microelectronics used by the military -- such a niche market that businesses might not have made the investment on their own. It has also been deployed to fund research and procurement projects in lithium ion batteries, lightweight ammunition and other technologies.

The government also invoked the statute to force telecommunication companies to divulge confidential information about their networks in 2011. And Trump told Congress last June he would use the law to buttress the aerospace industry and prevent shortfalls in the production of a vaccine for military use.
It totally doesn't sound prone to government abuses.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ted seems the type of guy to suicide. Just his look in that last pic.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"