The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:37 pm Looks like that one got deleted.

Here's a fun one though:

If we don’t have a wall system, we’re not going to have a country. Congress must fund the BORDER WALL & prohibit grants to sanctuary jurisdictions that threaten the security of our country & the people of our country. We must enforce our laws & protect our people!
OMG, HOW HAS THE US SURVIVED THIS LONG WITHOUT A WALL? HOW WILL WE REPEL THE MEXICAN INVADERS???

:roll:
That video of Trump personally examining and approving blueprints for The Wall reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

raydude wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:49 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:15 pm Aaaaaaand, the POTUS just publicly accused the Deputy Director of the FBI of taking bribes. Awesome.

How can FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, the man in charge, along with leakin’ James Comey, of the Phony Hillary Clinton investigation (including her 33,000 illegally deleted emails) be given $700,000 for wife’s campaign by Clinton Puppets during investigation?
I'm legitimately starting to wonder which government institutions might actually be left standing after this asshole is through. Jesus Christ. :grund:
It's easier to set oneself up as Emperor when all the pillars preventing one from doing so are gone.
WaPo
The FBI office that handles employee discipline has recommended firing the bureau’s former deputy director over allegations that he authorized the disclosure of sensitive information to a reporter and misled investigators when asked about it — though Justice Department officials are still reviewing the matter and have not come to a final decision, a person familiar with the case said.

The recommendation from the FBI’s Office of Professional Responsibility is likely to add fuel to the political fire surrounding former deputy director Andrew McCabe, who abruptly stepped down from his post earlier this year but technically remained an FBI employee.

McCabe was hoping to retire in just days, when he becomes eligible for his full benefits. If he is fired, he could lose his retirement benefits. President Trump has long made McCabe a particular target of his ire, and the recommendation to fire the former No. 2 FBI official could give him new ammunition.
Justice Department Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz has for some time been working on a report that blasts McCabe for allowing two high-ranking bureau officials to sit down with the Wall Street Journal as the news outlet prepared a report in 2016 on an investigation into Hillary Clinton’s family foundation, then misleading the inspector general’s team about his actions. A person familiar with the matter said Horowitz’s findings are what sparked the Office of Professional Responsibility’s recommendation, which was first reported by the New York Times. Horowitz’s report has not been released, and McCabe denies having misled anyone, a person familiar with the case said.
Horowitz is also examining broad allegations of misconduct involving former FBI director James B. Comey, including the public statement he made recommending that the Clinton email case be closed without charges and his decision 11 days before the election to reveal to Congress that the FBI had resumed its work. McCabe briefly took over as the FBI’s acting director after Trump fired Comey in May.

The matter McCabe authorized FBI officials to discuss with a reporter came just as the bureau announced it was resuming its look at Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of state, though the article focused more on the separate case involving her family’s foundation.
The inspector general was interested in McCabe’s role in authorizing officials to talk about the matter, people familiar with the case said, because the article detailed ongoing criminal investigative work, which law enforcement officials are not normally allowed to discuss.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

A few points on how ridiculous this is:
1) McCabe was one of the FBI agents arguing to investigate the Clinton Foundation which, if he was beholden to the Clintons, would be pretty stupid
2) He has no actual connection to the Clintons... his wife is a Democratic politician, her campaign got money from Terry McAuliffe during her campaign, and McAuliffe is a former Clinton employee... that's the full extent of Drumpf's ludicrous bribery claims
3) The IG hasn't publicly indicated why he thought McCabe wasn't "forthcoming"
4) McCabe is retiring in days, so all this would do is reduce his benefits
5) Drumpf has complained in the past that he thinks McCabe shouldn't be getting full benefits, making this pretty obvious, childish retribution for a perceived slight
FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is racing the clock to retire with full benefits. 90 days to go?!!!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm
5) Drumpf has complained in the past that he thinks McCabe shouldn't be getting full benefits, making this pretty obvious, childish retribution for a perceived slight
The report was by an IG appointed by Obama, though it seems the suggestion of firing came from someone other than the IG? Until (and if) the full report comes out, it's impossible to judge if this is a serious issue or not.

It's entirely possible that Trump got all the reasons wrong, but McCabe still did something worth being fired over. Though Trump's comments will likely mean this doesn't end soon unless the FBI lets McCabe retire.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm It's entirely possible that Trump got all the reasons wrong, but McCabe still did something worth being fired over. Though Trump's comments will likely mean this doesn't end soon unless the FBI lets McCabe retire.
That can't be ruled out until we see the OPR report. However, we have a documented pattern of Drumpf pushing Sessions to fire McCabe for demonstrably false reasons which is undoubtedly putting pressure on the IG. The tiny bits of the OPR report that are public are thin gruel to base the firing of a senior FBI official on given the interference we've seen coming from Drumpf.

If the OPR has any hope of maintaining some credibility they need to release the full report.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm It's entirely possible that Trump got all the reasons wrong, but McCabe still did something worth being fired over.
Maybe, but that's the thing about credibility. Once it's lost, getting it back is a lengthy, difficult journey. Let me know when Drumpf even begins to think about starting down that path. Until then, I'll just continue to assume everything this man says is self serving and a complete fabrication.

When a broken clock is right twice a day, it doesn't suddenly become a credible source of what time it is.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo wrote:
Fitzy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm It's entirely possible that Trump got all the reasons wrong, but McCabe still did something worth being fired over.
Maybe, but that's the thing about credibility. Once it's lost, getting it back is a lengthy, difficult journey. Let me know when Drumpf even begins to think about starting down that path. Until then, I'll just continue to assume everything this man says is self serving and a complete fabrication.

When a broken clock is right twice a day, it doesn't suddenly become a credible source of what time it is.
Basically this. The man continues to tweet facially incorrect things every single day. He speaks clearly false statements every single time he opens his mouth. This is a years-long pattern.

Nothing he says earns the benefit of the doubt. None of the things. Zero things. If he wants to claim someone needs to be fired because they did something shady? Prove it*.

* - Also, he should, you know, stop doing shady things himself.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 pm I mean, he doesn't even try to hide it anymore...
He’s telling it like it is! And he’ll always be a straight shooter with the American people. MAGA baby.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No, he 'already did that.' Work's done. Just gotta keep it great now.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't know if it's already been pointed out, but KEEP AMERICA GREAT is the slogan from the horror film PURGE: ELECTION YEAR. Yes, Trump literally stole his next campaign slogan from a horror movie which features a government taken to its most right-wing extremes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Thing is, he's not even a broken clock. He's a broken counterfeit Rolex watch caked in dog excrement, soaked in prostitute urine, on a sidestreet in Queens. And people are still using him to tell time. Like they are actually going there, picking him up in all his shitpiss covered glory, and peering at his two little hands and declaring, "It's noon hours of four!"

I'm not sure which is worse, him or the ones using him to tell time (that's us).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kudos for that visual, LB. Bravo.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am Kudos for that visual, LB. Bravo.
Yeah, the final visualization of that image after my mind processed the words was pretty amusing (and gross). :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:No, he 'already did that.' Work's done. Just gotta keep it great now.
KAGA baby! (flows off the tongue better than KAG, like fine vomit)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am I don't know if it's already been pointed out, but KEEP AMERICA GREAT is the slogan from the horror film PURGE: ELECTION YEAR. Yes, Trump literally stole his next campaign slogan from a horror movie which features a government taken to its most right-wing extremes.
Hat sales have dried up. Time to take another pass at the first-run MAGA rubes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

So it turns out even their base isn't moved by tax cuts for the wealthy, so what's a flailing political party to do?

More tax cuts! Yeah, that's the ticket!
Amid all the turmoil and uncertainty, with his White House seemingly fraying, his legislative agenda stalled and his electoral base in danger, President Trump these days finds one area of comfort: talking about his tax cuts. He finds it so reassuring, in fact, that he is increasingly talking about doing it all over again.

“We’re now going for a Phase 2,” he told a selected group of supporters at a Boeing factory in St. Louis. He did not describe what would be in such a Phase 2 but said he would team up with Representative Kevin Brady, Republican of Texas and chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee. “It’s going to be something very special. Kevin Brady’s working on it with me.”
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

How? How could they possibly cut taxes again?
Hodor.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This shows Trump's ignorance about his only victory. The hastily put together 2017 tax act couldn't even get its name right and is flat-out wrong in quite a few sections either by not working as intended or creating the opposite result.

Rep. Kevin Brady has been spending months trying to put together a "fix" and "technical corrections" bill for the 2017 tax act. Apparently someone sold it to Trump as "phase 2: additional tax cuts" rather than a patch. But the Democrats will stand united against another tax bill, and Republicans don't have the votes between the deficit hawks and departing congressmen.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 pm This shows Trump's ignorance about his only victory. The hastily put together 2017 tax act couldn't even get its name right and is flat-out wrong in quite a few sections either by not working as intended or creating the opposite result.

Rep. Kevin Brady has been spending months trying to put together a "fix" and "technical corrections" bill for the 2017 tax act. Apparently someone sold it to Trump as "phase 2: additional tax cuts" rather than a patch. But the Democrats will stand united against another tax bill, and Republicans don't have the votes between the deficit hawks and departing congressmen.
Also, don't they only get one (filibuster-proof) reconciliation bill per year? Didn't they use that on the tax bill?
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Thing is, he's not even a broken clock. He's a broken counterfeit Rolex watch caked in dog excrement, soaked in prostitute urine, on a sidestreet in Queens. And people are still using him to tell time. Like they are actually going there, picking him up in all his shitpiss covered glory, and peering at his two little hands and declaring, "It's noon hours of four!"

I'm not sure which is worse, him or the ones using him to tell time (that's us).
K.

Gross.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:30 am
Amid all the turmoil and uncertainty, with his White House seemingly fraying, his legislative agenda stalled and his electoral base in danger
Nope, I'm regularly told by the single noteworthy troll here that everything is fine and this is exactly what those who voted for him wanted.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:17 pm Rep. Kevin Brady has been spending months trying to put together a "fix" and "technical corrections" bill for the 2017 tax act. Apparently someone sold it to Trump as "phase 2: additional tax cuts" rather than a patch. But the Democrats will stand united against another tax bill, and Republicans don't have the votes between the deficit hawks and departing congressmen.
Given what little we know that makes much more sense that the Republicans actually wanting to have another go at tax cuts.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 am
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 pm I mean, he doesn't even try to hide it anymore...
He’s telling it like it is! And he’ll always be a straight shooter with the American people. MAGA baby.

We do have a Trade Deficit with Canada, as we do with almost all countries (some of them massive). P.M. Justin Trudeau of Canada, a very good guy, doesn’t like saying that Canada has a Surplus vs. the U.S.(negotiating), but they do...they almost all do...and that’s how I know!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 am

We do have a Trade Deficit with Canada, as we do with almost all countries (some of them massive). P.M. Justin Trudeau of Canada, a very good guy, doesn’t like saying that Canada has a Surplus vs. the U.S.(negotiating), but they do...they almost all do...and that’s how I know!
The thought process reminds me of elementary school kids giving what passes as "proof" for some of the most silliest things. It's cute when they do it but not so much when adults do it.

"...and that's how I know". What's he going to pull out when meeting with Kim Jong-un? "I know YOU are...but what am I?"
Black lives matter!

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just to underscore that Drumpf is both wrong and ignorant, here's a nice breakdown:
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... th-canada/
For the past three years, we’ve had a trade deficit in goods with Canada of about $20 billion, mostly because we import lots of oil and natural gas from them (about $70 billion in 2017). But that’s only tangible goods. We export a lot of services to Canada (financial services, computer services, etc.), and as a result we’ve been running a total trade surplus of about $5 billion. This is what Trudeau was talking about. It has nothing to do with timber, and the number $17 billion doesn’t show up anywhere.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No.

:grund: :grund: :grund: :grund: :grund: :grund: :grund: :grund:

[Edit - beaten by Sepiche]
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Timestampped 8:29am. Going to guess Fox was making the same point a few minutes prior?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

NEW: Trump has decided to oust H.R. McMaster and has asked his chief of staff for a list of replacements. The latest on the chaos inside the White House
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This was a major mistake on their part. Did you read his comments about it? They should have just let him ride off into the sunset. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm This was a major mistake on their part. Did you read his comments about it? They should have just let him ride off into the sunset. :lol:
It's temporary bad press, but it also tells law enforcement - prosecute who Trump wants you to prosecute, or lose your pension.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This is why, even if you support Trump's policies from a conservative sense, I can't wrap my head around how you can stick up for this administration. These are just cruel, vindictive people with no empathy for anyone but themselves. It's really troubling that so many people can just put blinders on to this kind of behavior.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The scariest part for me is the reinforcement of the narrative that anyone who has ever disagreed with Trump, ever said a positive word about a liberal, or ever worked with/for a Democrat is immediately branded the “enemy”. And done so completely regardless of what their actions and behaviors actually demonstrate.

That continues to be horrifying.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This is a blunt message targeted directly at the FBI, and I hope it backfires.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

He lied under oath. I don't see the big deal.

You either hold yourself accountable to the same level as those you investigate/prosecute or you lose any integrity you would have accusing others of lying. They wouldn't hesitate to do something like this in trying to get one of Trump's aides to flip. I think it was the only choice they could make. It was after all the FBI's own oversight structure that recommended termination.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rip wrote:He lied under oath. I don't see the big deal.
Saved for posterity. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:35 am
Rip wrote:He lied under oath. I don't see the big deal.
Saved for posterity. :)
This is a Bill Clinton slam.

Because asking someone about their sex life is imperative to the well being of the nation.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Except he is claiming he didn't lie under oath, that James Comey knew what he was doing, and he was being targeted for political reasons. And if that bears out to be true then this is a scandal that ordinarily would have shaken multiple institutions to their foundations. If this was Hillary - I'd expect the IG, AG, and possibly the President to go down if the allegations proved to be false and cooked up. We'll see what happens. Nonetheless this is very, very disturbing. We are in deep shit. This is behavior I'd expect out of Russia. Seriously. This isn't banana republic territory anymore.

Edit: From a BBC article on this:
"McCabe has issued a lengthy statement vehemently rejecting the allegations against him and denouncing what he described as a campaign of attacks on his credibility.

He insisted he had done nothing wrong in organising the October 2016 interview, saying "it was the type of exchange with the media that the Deputy Director oversees several times per week".

He said of the subsequent justice department investigation that he tried to answer the questions "truthfully and accurately" and "when I thought my answers were misunderstood, I contacted investigators to correct them".

"The big picture is a tale of what can happen when law enforcement is politicized," he went on to say.

"Here is the reality: I am being singled out and treated this way because of the role I played, the actions I took, and the events I witnessed in the aftermath of the firing of James Comey."
Absolutely disturbing. They went hunting for anything they could hang on him because it looked slightly off-color and used it to smear him and punish him publicly. This is a direct attack on the FBI and the rule of law.