The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Octavious »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm For those wondering, the DJIA was 19,827 when Trump took office on 1/20/17. As I write this, it's currently sitting at 20,902.

Since DJIA = "the economy" in Trumplandia, that could be important to note.
His fan base is just saying it's not his fault. Honestly at the end of the day they just want to stick it to everyone else. I do think that unless this somehow blows over in the next month that he's toast in November. Assuming they hold a election. That's what I'm scared about now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:53 pmHis fan base is just saying it's not his fault.
I expect that even rabid fans will bite the hand that stokes their egos if it stops feeding them for long enough.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:53 pmHis fan base is just saying it's not his fault.
I expect that even rabid fans will bite the hand that stokes their egos if it stops feeding them for long enough.
If the economy sucks in November 2020 (and I don't see how it won't, but maybe there will be a miracle before then, who knows), then people will vote en masse against the "in party" (which is the Republicans). I'm not sure that there will be much active thought about whose to blame so much as an instinctive "throw the bums out".

Though I worry that this will also tempt Trump to pull more overtly authoritarian bullshit, especially since mass protests would be problematic right now.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:53 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm For those wondering, the DJIA was 19,827 when Trump took office on 1/20/17. As I write this, it's currently sitting at 20,902.

Since DJIA = "the economy" in Trumplandia, that could be important to note.
His fan base is just saying it's not his fault. Honestly at the end of the day they just want to stick it to everyone else. I do think that unless this somehow blows over in the next month that he's toast in November. Assuming they hold a election. That's what I'm scared about now.
Yeah, I'm seeing lots of goalpost moving today. "Trump's economic plan was perfect, but no one could have expected this!"

While we didn't expect exactly a worldwide pandemic, I think pretty much anyone who isn't in the cult has been expecting some version of this downturn for quite a while now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Clearly we couldn't have expected it. That's why we fired the pandemic response office in 2018. Amirite? MAGA!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:03 pm Yeah, I'm seeing lots of goalpost moving today. "Trump's economic plan was perfect, but no one could have expected this!"
Wasn't that kind of his response to "will you take responsibility for this?" It was POS response. Pull the rug out from everyone and then say no one could have expected the floors to get scratched the moment someone walks in without wearing rubber shoes. The CDC and FEMA don't exist because of what we expect. The EPA doesn't exist because we expect the environment to remain without change no matter we throw at it. The FDA doesn't exist because we expect businesses to put the consumer first. Controls weren't put on banks because we expect them to follow those controls without guidance.

He has a way of speaking and making me feel all Greta Thunberg.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If he does lose re-election because of this, there's some poetic justice in it. Trump undone by his disregard for science, and his inability to accept reality. It's too bad so many will have to suffer for it, but maybe it helps us in the long run.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:16 pm If he does lose re-election because of this, there's some poetic justice in it. Trump undone by his disregard for science, and his inability to accept reality. It's too bad so many will have to suffer for it, but maybe it helps us in the long run.
While not a happy justice, Trump undone by the death of his base, en masse, due to his inability to accept reality may become a thing.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/ ... he-eldery/

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:16 pm If he does lose re-election because of this, there's some poetic justice in it. Trump undone by his disregard for science, and his inability to accept reality. It's too bad so many will have to suffer for it, but maybe it helps us in the long run.
It'll be spun as a nefarious Democrat plot after all when blue states (who are taking prudent measures) are less affected than MAGA country, following the Fox News. They will follow Trump's lead and disavow any responsibility for their own inaction.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:33 pm
It'll be spun as a nefarious Democrat plot after all when blue states (who are taking prudent measures) are less affected than MAGA country, following the Fox News. They will follow Trump's lead and disavow any responsibility for their own inaction.
I don't see that happening. I can only imagine that populations density (which is a blue state thing) is going to make this a lot more painful for blues states, at least short term.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What are the odds that the motherfucker tries to suspend the elections due to national emergency?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Believe it or not Trump is conducting a reasonably cogent briefer today. Aside from the usual pollyannish answers he always gives he actually was answering questions without too much drama. He had some doozys to be sure. A month ago no one was thinking about this. Lol wut? It is funny that he sometimes gets about 80% of the way through almost normal and then veers off the page into crazy train land.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:36 pm
I don't see that happening. I can only imagine that populations density (which is a blue state thing) is going to make this a lot more painful for blues states, at least short term.
Look at the swing states, where it matters most. Communities that are able to effectively mitigate it (and these are mostly pro-donkey) will be proportionally less effective, flattening the notorious spike while the elephants get impaled upon it. Keep in mind too that the reaper part of the virus favors the elderly, which existing in greater numbers within the elephant community. It is not unreasonable to think this could have a significant impact on the elephant electorate and a much milder one on the donkey base.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm sure it'll be spun as a Dem plot, but for the opposite reasons.

More people are getting infected in highly populated urban areas (which skew liberal) while there aren't that many cases out on Bumblefuck, Arkansas (which skews conservative). The fact that the "hotspots" are all liberal just confirms the whole thing is politically driven because reasons.

(you laugh, but I've already seen this theory floated a number of times among my conservative friends)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Jeff V wrote:It'll be spun as a nefarious Democrat plot after all when blue states (who are taking prudent measures) are less affected than MAGA country, following the Fox News.
We can't stop the #MAGA contingent from spinning conspiracies. But if we let them define the narrative, we're to blame.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Final DOW today 20,188.52 −2,997.10 (12.93%)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm
I'm sure it'll be spun as a Dem plot, but for the opposite reasons.

More people are getting infected in highly populated urban areas (which skew liberal) while there aren't that many cases out on Bumblefuck, Arkansas (which skews conservative). The fact that the "hotspots" are all liberal just confirms the whole thing is politically driven because reasons.

(you laugh, but I've already seen this theory floated a number of times among my conservative friends)
There are urban areas in red states too that I'd expect to be hit harder than those in states taking drastic measures. Also, old people are the ones most at risk, and they are more likely to vote Republican. Urban, Democrat communities might see larger numbers, but within those numbers I think you'll see far a greater mortality among those getting their info from Fox News, while the younger Democrat base is largely unscathed.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm Final DOW today 20,188.52 −2,997.10 (12.93%)
Holy Shit. That's almost every point gained during this administration.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm Final DOW today 20,188.52 −2,997.10 (12.93%)
Second circuit breaker is 13%. Not that would have kicked in at the end of the day when everyone was rushing out. I think level 2 can't kick in with less than a half hour left in the day. Only level 3 (20%).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yup. They were very very very close to the 13% 2nd circuit breaker.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think about 16,000 would be where it’s passed his inauguration numbers.
Getting there...

We are at Feb,2017
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Apparently today exceeded Black Monday by percentage. #winning
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Unagi wrote:I think about 16,000 would be where it’s passed his inauguration numbers.
Getting there...

We are at Feb,2017
The Dow at his inauguration closed at 19,804. I think we’ll be below that tomorrow.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Anyone need a dose of casual racism from a world leader?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wipe out a few trllion in market cap, get a new endemic seasonal virus. Have a few deaths.

But hey, superlatives from a guy whose vocabulary is 75% superlatives and we're all OK!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Tao

Post by Tao »

I was reading an article today on a pro-trump conservative website RedState, and they kept referring to the virus as Wuhan Corona-Virus. The dog whistle was quite loud.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hong Kong Flu was already taken.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Hong Kong Flu was already taken.
Kung Flu?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Beijing Bug.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Flu Ah-Choo
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:22 pm
Kung Flu?
I like this one.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wu-Hu Flu
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chop Fluey?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Flu Manchu for the win.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:21 pm Hong Kong Flu was already taken.
Hong Kong Flu-ey
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:17 pm
Unagi wrote:I think about 16,000 would be where it’s passed his inauguration numbers.
Getting there...

We are at Feb,2017
The Dow at his inauguration closed at 19,804. I think we’ll be below that tomorrow.
Well I 'm not sure where you are getting your data?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/261 ... jia-index/

https://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jo ... t-10-years

15,766 Jan 20, 2016.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:41 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:22 pm
Kung Flu?
I like this one.
Bam Bam
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:46 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:21 pm Hong Kong Flu was already taken.
Hong Kong Flu-ey
Greatest Flu. Best Flu. #1 Super Flu.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:38 pm
Getting there...

We are at Feb,2017

15,766 Jan 20, 2016.
Donald Trump was inaugurated in 2017.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:32 am
Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:38 pm
Getting there...

We are at Feb,2017

15,766 Jan 20, 2016.
Donald Trump was inaugurated in 2017.
Omg.
Lol

Thank you.