The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not surprised that Trump would sink so low. There are all kinds of nasty people in the world. What I am surprised in is that so many people are willing to support his behavior.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Trump's approval rating of 49% matches his all-time high -- Gallup.
It appears that Trump’s handling of the coronavirus response is behind the approval rating bump. Sixty percent of voters overall said they approve of the job Trump is doing to address the epidemic, including 94 percent of Republicans, 60 percent of independents and 27 percent of Democrats.
“Historically, presidential job approval has increased when the nation is under threat. Every president from Franklin Roosevelt through George W. Bush saw their approval rating surge at least 10 points after a significant national event of this kind. Bush's 35-point increase after 9/11 is the most notable rally effect on record,” Jones wrote.
Maybe we should take solace in the fact that Trump's boost is below 10%? Gotta take what we can find, these days.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pretty much any president would see a boost during a crisis. That it's so small is pretty telling. I highly doubt it goes much higher unless he finds a magic cure and we'll all out of the house by Easter. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

And the other shoe hasn't dropped yet -- the stock market indicates that the economy is in a world of hurt, and most of us are losing our income or know someone who has, but the statistics haven't landed yet. While these numbers aren't directly his fault, I can't imagine that potentially 30% unemployment and a 50% drop in GDP are going to help Trump's approval.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

His epitaph will read: It wasn't my fault!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote:His epitaph will read: It wasn't my fault!
I take no responsibility whatsoever!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:14 pm And the other shoe hasn't dropped yet -- the stock market indicates that the economy is in a world of hurt, and most of us are losing our income or know someone who has, but the statistics haven't landed yet. While these numbers aren't directly his fault, I can't imagine that potentially 30% unemployment and a 50% drop in GDP are going to help Trump's approval.
Yeah, Trump's real problem is not his incompetent response (as that's being filtered through conservative media for much of the country), but the economic damage that's going to result from all of this, which is almost impossible to avoid. At a minimum I think that's going to put a ceiling on Trump's possible vote percentages.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 pm Maybe we should take solace in the fact that Trump's boost is below 10%? Gotta take what we can find, these days.
Yup. Historically this crisis would be a rally-round-National-Purpose moment, and any president who could demonstrate competence and leadership would enjoy a huge boost. Trump's getting only the most modest slice of that.
Last edited by Holman on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:19 pm
I stand by nothing!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:25 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 pm Maybe we should take solace in the fact that Trump's boost is below 10%? Gotta take what we can find, these days.
Yup. Historically this crisis would be a rally-round-National-Purpose moment, and any president could demonstrate competence and leadership would enjoy a huge boost. Trump's getting only the most modest slice of that.
FWIW Italy's Prime Minister's approval rating is up to 71%.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:47 pm
I stand by nothing!
The buck stops in Switzerland.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Unagi wrote:
I stand by nothing!
"I closed the borders to China!"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus wrote:
Unagi wrote:
I stand by nothing!
"I closed the borders to China!"
*CHY-na!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just remember right now about half the country think this guy is doing a bang up job. :sob:
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm
I stand by nothing!
"The buck stops here. The blame goes over there."
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Jolor wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm
I stand by nothing!
"The buck stops here. The blame goes over there."
I have always envisioned the sign on Trump's desk reading "The Buck Stops There --------->"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Also people who aren't paying attention are probably giving credit to Trump that should be going to their governor. Trump has done relatively little to combat this plague in contrast to state leaders.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:27 pm Also people who aren't paying attention are probably giving credit to Trump that should be going to their governor. Trump has done relatively little to combat this plague in contrast to state leaders.
Yep. Heck looking forward, in time he will probably squarely take the blame for enabling the pandemic.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 am
YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:27 pm Also people who aren't paying attention are probably giving credit to Trump that should be going to their governor. Trump has done relatively little to combat this plague in contrast to state leaders.
Yep. Heck looking forward, in time he will probably squarely take the blame for enabling the pandemic.
History has an odd clarity to it. All the dust settles, the stories are told, and the truth is all that remains. Generally.

I expect he'll be ranked last place in the "Most Presidential" persons when historians run the tallies again.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 am
History has an odd clarity to it. All the dust settles, the stories are told, and the truth is all that remains. Generally.

I expect he'll be ranked last place in the "Most Presidential" persons when historians run the tallies again.
He'll be last across the board. Without a doubt now. I can't think about any positive qualities anyone can credit him with. Unless they literally purge all records/video and that seems far-fetched. Nuclear war probably wouldn't erase that. There is cached evidence of his incompetence everywhere.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

He'll be last across the board. Without a doubt now. I can't think about any positive qualities anyone can credit him with. Unless they literally purge all records/video and that seems far-fetched. Nuclear war probably wouldn't erase that. There is cached evidence of his incompetence everywhere.
But he pwns the Libs and makes the snow flakes cry. What else do you need?
FTE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

He'll be first in the list put out by the MAGA Journal of American Greatness, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Reagan pretty much killed the middle class and they hold him as a hero. So I don't hold much faith that the Republicans will learn much from any of this. Every day I learn how much shittier people are than I ever imagined. I see TONS of people jumping on board with the idea of just allowing the old people to die if it means we can get working again.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is why so many of "the kids" hate democracy. The irony is that they have huge numbers. They can get most of what they want out of the system if they'd just show the fuck up.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am Reagan pretty much killed the middle class and they hold him as a hero. So I don't hold much faith that the Republicans will learn much from any of this. Every day I learn how much shittier people are than I ever imagined. I see TONS of people jumping on board with the idea of just allowing the old people to die if it means we can get working again.
Yeah, it definitely depends on who is making the list. For sure Trump will be regarded as a hero by some portion of the Republican base at a minimum, and maybe for the Republican party as a whole.

And heck, Andrew Jackson was a horrific asshole and a disaster of a President, but he'll still on the currency and regarded surprisingly well.
Black Lives Matter.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am
Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am Reagan pretty much killed the middle class and they hold him as a hero. So I don't hold much faith that the Republicans will learn much from any of this. Every day I learn how much shittier people are than I ever imagined. I see TONS of people jumping on board with the idea of just allowing the old people to die if it means we can get working again.
Yeah, it definitely depends on who is making the list. For sure Trump will be regarded as a hero by some portion of the Republican base at a minimum, and maybe for the Republican party as a whole.

And heck, Andrew Jackson was a horrific asshole and a disaster of a President, but he'll still on the currency and regarded surprisingly well.
I assure you the MAGA crowd still thinks he walks on water
FTE
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 am

Trump will be an easier difficulty opponent option than Crazy Ivan in a future Ancient Art of War remake.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 amAnd heck, Andrew Jackson was a horrific asshole and a disaster of a President, but he'll still on the currency and regarded surprisingly well.
In certain camps and there isn't reams of video evidence of what he did. In contrast people will be able to actually see it all. It's possible history will go the wrong way and this type of behavior "normalized" but I doubt it. Contemporaries are ignoring it because they are getting something out of it. Drop all that selfish stuff out and the bad will stand out.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If this was anyone else you would think they were cracking.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am Drop all that selfish stuff out and the bad will stand out.
Substitute golf for fiddle and corona virus for fire and we have the modern day Nero.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's nice that Trump still has time to stay on top of the latest celebrity gossip. A lesser statesman would be too busy to keep up with it all.

@realDonaldTrump wrote:I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still ending his rants with a forceful sentence. I cant wait until I can read......

"Donald Trump died today in a horrible and stupid manner according to how he behaved. Good riddance!"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am Drop all that selfish stuff out and the bad will stand out.
Substitute golf for fiddle and corona virus for fire and we have the modern day Nero.
Twitter, not golf
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jeff V wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 pm
Twitter, not golf
They aren't mutually exclusive. Well, weren't.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just used 'puttered'. It works on multiple levels.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump kisses his own ass on Fox News

I think we should start calling him The very elderly President Trump in all public things to simply piss him off.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sports radio giant Mike Francesa blasted President Trump on Monday, criticizing his administration's handling of the coronavirus outbreak and lack of medical equipment in the nation, according to Politico.

The radio host, who came out as a Trump advocate during his 2016 presidential campaign, accused him of not providing enough personal protective equipment, or PPE, to New York City, the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4904 ... s-response
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Got a propaganda an email update from CMS Updates today. I have to subscribe for work.

Starts out like this:
Trump Administration Makes Sweeping Regulatory Changes to Help U.S. Health Care System Address COVID-19 Patient Surge

At President Trump’s direction, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued an unprecedented array of temporary regulatory waivers and new rules to equip the American health care system with maximum flexibility to respond to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. CMS sets and enforces essential quality and safety standards for the nation’s health care system and is the nation’s largest health insurer serving more than 140 million Americans through Medicare, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, and Federal Exchanges.

Made possible by President Trump’s recent emergency declaration and emergency rule making, these temporary changes will apply immediately across the entire U.S. health care system for the duration of the emergency declaration. This allows hospitals and health systems to deliver services at other locations to make room for COVID-19 patients needing acute care in their main facility.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daily reminder that fucking over public health is the plan, not a mistake.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/trump-admin ... 1842575969
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daily reminder that fucking over public health is the plan, not a mistake.
Do we need more reminders? Remember when fixing health care was "the going to be done in the first 100 days". Repeal an replace when they had all every phase of federal government.