The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GungHo

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by GungHo »

Holman wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:21 pm
POTUS wrote:I was actually sticking up for Sleepy Joe Biden while on foreign soil. Kim Jong Un called him a “low IQ idiot,” and many other things, whereas I related the quote of Chairman Kim as a much softer “low IQ individual.” Who could possibly be upset with that?
Hamfisted attempt at snark doubles down on everything wrong with the original move.

The president is an asshole.

I've thought since he was elected that trump is this generation's version of Bozo the Clown: scary with bad hair, and not funny.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Holman

Post by Holman »

WTF is Trump's obsession with this? It came up at least a year ago: Trump has a strong retro opinion about steam vs electric catapults on America's nuclear aircraft carriers.

This week he brought it up while visiting the USS Wasp (a Harrier and helicopter carrier that has no catapult at all).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Never saw this one coming...

Holman

Post by Holman »

OMG. Mustn't upset the Toddler-in-Chief.

I want to believe that at least some officers pushed back on this.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, apparently the Navy denied this and the WH totally denied this.... (shame on the Navy. DEEP Shame)

And then they found a letter from the WH sent to the Pentagon that specifically requested it be done was found.

Was that part of the original story or is this "denial" and then "evidence" new?

The narcisism is so foul and they can't even admit it (of course), how can any American find this creature worthy of the office.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

“But the economy is good.”

That’s what one of the Trumpaloos told me this morning. Then complained that she was fired from her job during the Obama administration. As if it’s the Democrats fault she sucks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 pm

WTF is Trump's obsession with this? It came up at least a year ago: Trump has a strong retro opinion about steam vs electric catapults on America's nuclear aircraft carriers.

This week he brought it up while visiting the USS Wasp (a Harrier and helicopter carrier that has no catapult at all).
Stable genius. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be super easy to retro design a steam catapult onto the ship. It won't set the ship back years.
Unagi wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:27 am So, apparently the Navy denied this and the WH totally denied this.... (shame on the Navy. DEEP Shame)

And then they found a letter from the WH sent to the Pentagon that specifically requested it be done was found.

Was that part of the original story or is this "denial" and then "evidence" new?

The narcisism is so foul and they can't even admit it (of course), how can any American find this creature worthy of the office.
The narcissism is disgusting but the bottomless lying is the real problem. We can't trust the guy and he is corrupting institutions with his Trump touch. The one where everything he touches turns to shit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

When you were thinking the McCain story couldn't get worse for them...

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I suppose ultimately the more people who get the full Trump experience firsthand, the better.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The day the special counsel more or less said Congress needs to do its job and impeach the president, something completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things has once again taken over the news cycle. The news media hasn’t learned anything over the past two years.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I would hope that all seamen decline to go to any further Administration events until McCain's sailors are also allowed. That's total bullshit and even worse at the Royal decree of the CiC and/or his appointed handlers.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:04 am The day the special counsel more or less said Congress needs to do its job and impeach the president, something completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things has once again taken over the news cycle. The news media hasn’t learned anything over the past two years.
In a new study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we look at how often, and in what context, Twitter accounts from the Internet Research Agency—a St. Petersburg-based organization directed by individuals with close ties to Vladimir Putin, and subject to Mueller’s scrutiny—successfully made their way from social media into respected journalistic media.

We searched the content of 33 major American news outlets for references to the 100 most-retweeted accounts among those Twitter identified as controlled by the IRA, from the beginning of 2015 through September 2017. We found at least one tweet from an IRA account embedded in 32 of the 33 outlets—a total of 116 articles—including in articles published by institutions with longstanding reputations, like The Washington Post, NPR, and the Detroit Free Press, as well as in more recent, digitally native outlets such as BuzzFeed, Salon, and Mic (the outlet without IRA-linked tweets was....
Drumroll....
Spoiler:
Vice Media).
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:04 am The day the special counsel more or less said Congress needs to do its job and impeach the president, something completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things has once again taken over the news cycle. The news media hasn’t learned anything over the past two years.
They are talking about both to be fair. However, the story is only going to be about how Pelosi won't take up the fight because they love to talk about the drama at the edges instead of the core issue.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pro Trumpers on Twitter are trying to spin that Trump did not call Meghan Markle "nasty" in a recent video.

Judge for yourself (apologies for linking to such a pro Trump Twitter):

Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well. To be fair, he calls her 'nasty' for sure, but he means that to describe how she talked about him.

As if he said "I didn't know she was so mean to me." That's what he means be 'nasty'.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I'm seriously considering buying a U.S.S John McCain t-shirt and just wearing it everywhere. The Twitter seems to think it might be a good Anti-MAGA hat.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McCain is Trump's kryptonite. He cringes at a picture of McCain. I wish people in Washington had the smarts to plaster McCain's mug all over town.

i wish
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

He literally fell asleep during the Queen's speech.

But by all means, let him keep talking about "Sleepy Joe Biden" and all the other "low energy" people. :roll:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

When Trump attends the D-Day ceremonies, I wonder if his handlers will be able to keep him from stating that there were some very fine people on both sides. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 am When Trump attends the D-Day ceremonies, I wonder if his handlers will be able to keep him from stating that there were some very fine people on both sides. :coffee:
Come on, his dad was born in Munich Berlin Duesseldorf and brokered the Louisiana Purchase Pax Romana Treaty of Versailles. Cut him a little slack.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks like somebody is going through withdrawal.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

According to my newspaper, Fox News folded after a few years in the UK because of dismal ratings -- no more than a few thousand viewers. It was attributed to their programming being entirely US-centered.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:When Trump attends the D-Day ceremonies, I wonder if his handlers will be able to keep him from stating that there were some very fine people on both sides. :coffee:
If. He blew off the last one because it rained.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:55 am Looks like somebody is going through withdrawal.

I'm just relieved CNN is the only problem going on in the UK. I had heard there was some other crazy stuff going on that was really tearing the nation apart, but if it's just CNN then I think they're in good shape!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

While Fox News doesn't help, it's consistent viewership is about 1/3 of ABC World News Tonight.

I think it's more of a symptom than a problem.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 pm While Fox News doesn't help, it's consistent viewership is about 1/3 of ABC World News Tonight.

I'm sure I've seen stats showing Fox News as the most watched news source in America, and have been operating under that assumption.

I'm confused to find out their viewership is so low. In fact I don't believe it. Digging into this is about as appealing as taking a bath in lemon juice and rusty razor blades, so I guess I'll have to remain ignorant for awhile yet.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:25 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 pm While Fox News doesn't help, it's consistent viewership is about 1/3 of ABC World News Tonight.

I'm sure I've seen stats showing Fox News as the most watched news source in America, and have been operating under that assumption.

I'm confused to find out their viewership is so low. In fact I don't believe it. Digging into this is about as appealing as taking a bath in lemon juice and rusty razor blades, so I guess I'll have to remain ignorant for awhile yet.
It's pretty easy, cable is still niche. It's the most watch cable news channel, but that's a fraction of the viewing audience. They are way more hardcore though.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:25 pm I'm sure I've seen stats showing Fox News as the most watched news source in America, and have been operating under that assumption.

Nope. There are separate ratings for cable news vs. network (evening) news, so you almost never see them side by side. I couldn't find anything easily readable or legible (that wasn't hidden behind a paywall), but here are a couple of links for you:

Q1 2019 Cable New Rankings

Evening News Ratings: Q1 2019 and Week of March 25
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump:
"There were thousands of people on the streets cheering, and even coming over today there were thousands of people cheering. And then I heard that there were protests, I said, 'Where are the protests? I don't see any protests.' I did see a small protests today when I came, very small, so a lot of it is fake news I hate to say," Trump said.
Reality:

Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Old angry retired people watch a lot of TV.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Wow. Actual Diplomacy from Trump:
Making nice at the end, President Donald Trump eased up Tuesday on his frequent criticism of outgoing British Prime Minister Theresa May over her handling of the tortured Brexit deal, declaring that history will remember her fondly if the United Kingdom can successfully leave the European Union.
Of course, if she were a US politician, he'd be calling her a loser, etc. but hey!, baby steps...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump is one of those cowards that says whatever they want when their target isn't in the room, then gets nice when they are.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 pm Trump:
"There were thousands of people on the streets cheering, and even coming over today there were thousands of people cheering. And then I heard that there were protests, I said, 'Where are the protests? I don't see any protests.' I did see a small protests today when I came, very small, so a lot of it is fake news I hate to say," Trump said.
I'll just point out that one of his stipulations for a state visit in 2017 was that no protests be visible during his time in London. When they couldn't provide assurances to that effect, he simply didn't go.

He is such a shit goblin.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:11 pm Wow. Actual Diplomacy from Trump:
Making nice at the end, President Donald Trump eased up Tuesday on his frequent criticism of outgoing British Prime Minister Theresa May over her handling of the tortured Brexit deal, declaring that history will remember her fondly if the United Kingdom can successfully leave the European Union.
Of course, if she were a US politician, he'd be calling her a loser, etc. but hey!, baby steps...
First, she's out. She doesn't matter any more.

Second, she's was trying to Brexit, something he supports.

This isn't diplomacy, this is propping up a fallen ally (if just in action) like he does with Putin, Kim, the Saudis, etc.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:16 am
In a new study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we look at how often, and in what context, Twitter accounts from the Internet Research Agency—a St. Petersburg-based organization directed by individuals with close ties to Vladimir Putin, and subject to Mueller’s scrutiny—successfully made their way from social media into respected journalistic media.

We searched the content of 33 major American news outlets for references to the 100 most-retweeted accounts among those Twitter identified as controlled by the IRA, from the beginning of 2015 through September 2017. We found at least one tweet from an IRA account embedded in 32 of the 33 outlets—a total of 116 articles—including in articles published by institutions with longstanding reputations, like The Washington Post, NPR, and the Detroit Free Press, as well as in more recent, digitally native outlets such as BuzzFeed, Salon, and Mic (the outlet without IRA-linked tweets was....
Drumroll....
Spoiler:
Vice Media).
So Vice news is in Putin's pocket? If this is even somewhat true it'd be a real shocker. Or is the article stating that the Vice group gave the Russian fake news trollers too much attention?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:44 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:16 am

Drumroll....
Spoiler:
Vice Media).
So Vice news is in Putin's pocket? If this is even somewhat true it'd be a real shocker. Or is the article stating that the Vice group gave the Russian fake news trollers too much attention?
No, Vice is the only major news outlet that wasn't lazy enough to quote IRA twitterbots in stories. In other words, they were only ones to not give that particular fake news troller too much attention.

It may have been dumb luck or it may have been higher standards. It says less about Vice than it does about the other news outlets.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wonder how the Jane Fonda act goes over with the base. Remember how they treated John Kerry?

President Donald Trump in a televised interview Wednesday said he would have liked to have served in the U.S. military but not during the height of fighting in Vietnam because “I was never a fan of that war.”

Asked about whether he wished he had served in Vietnam, Trump said that “it was a terrible war” and he did not support U.S. efforts there.

“Nobody had ever heard of (Vietnam),” he said. “What are we doing? So many people are dying. What is happening over there?

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:38 pm Wonder how the Jane Fonda act goes over with the base. Remember how they treated John Kerry?

President Donald Trump in a televised interview Wednesday said he would have liked to have served in the U.S. military but not during the height of fighting in Vietnam because “I was never a fan of that war.”

Asked about whether he wished he had served in Vietnam, Trump said that “it was a terrible war” and he did not support U.S. efforts there.

“Nobody had ever heard of (Vietnam),” he said. “What are we doing? So many people are dying. What is happening over there?
So Cadet Bone Spurs lied on his deferrment by not stating he was a conscientous objector?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, he lied about being a human being on the form.
Covfefe!