The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

We need to flood the airwaves (or whatever) with that kind of content: peaceful protesters of all ages and races together.

Fox is pushing hard on making the footage of fringe violence represent the entire movement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Like this?

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When they act like Nazis and fascists the call their opposition Nazis and fascists... What does Tom Cotton feel about the Confederacy and insurrection?

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... elegation/
Sen. Tom Cotton was one of two Senate Armed Services Committee members Wednesday who voted against establishing a commission to help remove "names, symbols, displays, monuments and paraphernalia that honor or commemorate the Confederate States of America."

The White House is threatening to veto the National Defense Authorization Act if it includes language to that effect.

Cotton, a Dardanelle native who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, declined requests for comment about the issue Thursday and Friday.

His Libertarian opponent, Ricky Dale Harrington of Pine Bluff, criticized Cotton for attempting to preserve Confederate symbols.

"The objective fact is the Southern states seceded from the Union. ... It was an insurrection. So why would someone want to honor insurrectionists," said Harrington, whose forebears in Texas were freed once the Confederacy fell.
I can only take this to mean he supports the protestors in Portland as honoring his heritage.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Their objective is to inflame opposition in order to justify more troops and violence (further inflaming opposition, and so on). By the time of the election they will be in position to lock down all Democratic cities, or at least intimidate us into staying home.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's not a lullaby, it's a taunt.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:39 am That's not a lullaby, it's a taunt.
That’s not the tune they had though.

It was more ‘ring around the rosie’
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:55 am

Non-taunting uses are also seen, also associated with children. One tune for Ring a Ring o' Roses (which is sung to many variant tunes) uses the "Nyah nyah..." musical figure
It's Yanny, damn it!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:13 am
Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:55 am

Non-taunting uses are also seen, also associated with children. One tune for Ring a Ring o' Roses (which is sung to many variant tunes) uses the "Nyah nyah..." musical figure
It's Yanny, damn it!
You know it's Laurel.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It sounds more taunting to me. A child's chant to invoke a response, rather than an adult singing to a child.

OTOH, it sounds like the intent was to be both be a taunt and to demonstrate harmlessness.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

well, I mean it was a lot of people chanting, and that comes with some 'taunt' implied - and it's clearly not a group of adults trying to put a child to bed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
The Senate banking committee on Tuesday approved controversial Federal Reserve nominee Judy Shelton as well as Christopher Waller for two vacancies on the central bank’s board of governors.

Their nominations now head to the full Senate for confirmation. President Donald Trump had announced his intention to nominate the pair in July 2019 but the move had been held up during the pandemic and amid mounting controversy over Shelton.

Shelton gained the committee’s nod on a party-line 13-12 vote five months after a contentious confirmation hearing on her views.
Waller was approved by an 18-7 margin.

While Waller faced little opposition during a confirmation hearing in February, Shelton had a much harder time.

She faced persistent and at-times hostile questions about her support for the gold standard, her beliefs on whether bank deposits should be insured and whether the Fed should be independent of political influences.

Leading up to Tuesday’s vote, Rep. Don Beyer (D-Virginia) released a statement opposing Shelton’s move to the central bank, said her “extreme ideas” should disqualify her for confirmation.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Philly DA to Trumptroopers: Go ahead and try it, chucklefucks.
My dad volunteered and served in World War II to fight fascism, like most of my uncles, so we would not have an American president brutalizing and kidnapping Americans for exercising their constitutional rights and trying to make America a better place, which is what patriots do. Anyone, including federal law enforcement, who unlawfully assaults and kidnaps people will face criminal charges from my office. At trial, they will face a Philadelphia jury. It’s the least we can do to honor those who fought fascism, including those who are fighting it even now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm Philly DA to Trumptroopers: Go ahead and try it, chucklefucks.
My dad volunteered and served in World War II to fight fascism, like most of my uncles, so we would not have an American president brutalizing and kidnapping Americans for exercising their constitutional rights and trying to make America a better place, which is what patriots do. Anyone, including federal law enforcement, who unlawfully assaults and kidnaps people will face criminal charges from my office. At trial, they will face a Philadelphia jury. It’s the least we can do to honor those who fought fascism, including those who are fighting it even now.
That's awesome. Lightfoot sent Trump a similar "fuckyou very much" message yesterday when the threat of sending feds to Chicago came up.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm Philly DA to Trumptroopers: Go ahead and try it, chucklefucks.
What does that look like? Philly police arresting armed federal agents, or just filing the charges after the fact?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:56 pm CNBC
The Senate banking committee on Tuesday approved controversial Federal Reserve nominee Judy Shelton as well as Christopher Waller for two vacancies on the central bank’s board of governors.

Their nominations now head to the full Senate for confirmation. President Donald Trump had announced his intention to nominate the pair in July 2019 but the move had been held up during the pandemic and amid mounting controversy over Shelton.

Shelton gained the committee’s nod on a party-line 13-12 vote five months after a contentious confirmation hearing on her views.

While Waller faced little opposition during a confirmation hearing in February, Shelton had a much harder time.

She faced persistent and at-times hostile questions about her support for the gold standard, her beliefs on whether bank deposits should be insured and whether the Fed should be independent of political influences.

Leading up to Tuesday’s vote, Rep. Don Beyer (D-Virginia) released a statement opposing Shelton’s move to the central bank, said her “extreme ideas” should disqualify her for confirmation.
:doh:

Shelton is a flat out gold standard nutso. She wants a 0% inflation target which is....unsupported by any modern understanding of monetary policy. She argues for an approach to economics that was disproven in the great depression. *BUT* she wrote a nice op-ed about Trump so here we are.
raydude

Post by raydude »

No Coronavirus Task force members at first briefing in months

If this is true, and especially if this is just the Donald show, I hope every single one of the reporters' questions is "Where is Fauci?" or "Where is Brix?" or "Where is someone qualified to talk about the coronavirus?"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:clap:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Narrator: He is not.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ah yes, the return of the "presidential pivot" that journalists periodically spy just over the horizon.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 am Ah yes, the return of the "presidential pivot" that journalists periodically spy just over the horizon.
Line 1:
You don't have to believe in pivots to see the big moments piling up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Let him pivot. Save lives. This is what we want, isn't it?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 amLet him pivot. Save lives. This is what we want, isn't it?
Absolutely.

My only concern is that any action will be met with thunderous applause from his base and make him look even marginally responsible. The attention span of so many people is so short that if he actually starts giving a shit now, he might have a chance in November. I mean, fuck, they applauded when he drank from a glass with one hand as a demonstration of his prowess.

I'm not suggesting at all that he's capable of that, though. Any good deed he does is a flash in the pan and evaporates once he goes back off-script.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 am Let him pivot. Save lives. This is what we want, isn't it?
Yes, but I also think it is fair game to point and laugh at media talking heads who want to roll out the 'this is when he became a President' line of old and stale clichés. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:21 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 am Let him pivot. Save lives. This is what we want, isn't it?
Yes, but I also think it is fair game to point and laugh at media talking heads who want to roll out the 'this is when he became a President' line of old and stale clichés. :)
He has to become a man (or woman) before he can become President. Can't skip that crucial step.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's also just stupid, because obviously Trump is who he is at this point. Even if he wanted to be "presidential", it's not in his DNA.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 am
It's also just stupid, because obviously Trump is who he is at this point. Even if he wanted to be "presidential", it's not in his DNA.
It's also dumb because even during the 'pivoted' 'briefing,' whenever he went off-script it was clearly the same old dude. To write about a changed demeanor is to reveal that one did not actually watch the briefing.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 am
It's also dumb because even during the 'pivoted' 'briefing,' whenever he went off-script it was clearly the same old dude. To write about a changed demeanor is to reveal that one did not actually watch the briefing.
It's like wondering whether Trump's going to decide to evolve into a being of pure energy and light.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He may be changing his stripes - from zebra to prison.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:50 amLet him pivot. Save lives. This is what we want, isn't it?
Absolutely.

My only concern is that any action will be met with thunderous applause from his base and make him look even marginally responsible. The attention span of so many people is so short that if he actually starts giving a shit now, he might have a chance in November. I mean, fuck, they applauded when he drank from a glass with one hand as a demonstration of his prowess.

I'm not suggesting at all that he's capable of that, though. Any good deed he does is a flash in the pan and evaporates once he goes back off-script.
I don't see any sane person being swayed by his change of heart. In fact I see a lot of push back from his base about the whole mask thing. They still don't want to wear it. Can't fix stupid.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:45 am
It's also foolish because there is a good chance they did watch it and so, so desperately want to write this storyline to appear or claim the 'balanced' tag. And we see right through it. This is why some of them sound so phony.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Honestly I'm really really worried about these fed troop deployments. It will be a great way to scare people from voting if there's a bunch of armed feds throwing people in vans. I'm 100% sure that's where he's going with this. By November all the major dem cities will have troops. This is terrifying.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am Honestly I'm really really worried about these fed troop deployments. It will be a great way to scare people from voting if there's a bunch of armed feds throwing people in vans. I'm 100% sure that's where he's going with this. By November all the major dem cities will have troops. This is terrifying.
Isn't that why we have all the armed prepper militias? You mean to tell me they won't come to the aid of their federally oppressed brethren? Did they not stock up on urban camo patterns?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:18 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:56 pm CNBC

:doh:

Shelton is a flat out gold standard nutso. She wants a 0% inflation target which is....unsupported by any modern understanding of monetary policy. She argues for an approach to economics that was disproven in the great depression. *BUT* she wrote a nice op-ed about Trump so here we are.
Whatever happened to the Chicago school of econ thinking in conservative circles? Friedman needs to come back from the grave and taunt these chuckleheads, heh.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wish her well. I heard she is a little blue in the slammer. It'd be a shame if something happened.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I find it hilarious that I have a ton of right wing people on FB that think that it's Bill Clinton that killed Epstein. Totally ignoring the fact that Trump has many many ties to the ahole. It's fascinating to watch the mental gymnastics these people use to ignore the obvious.

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:36 pm I wish her well. I heard she is a little blue in the slammer. It'd be a shame if something happened.
but if something doesn't I can find a way to, pardon the expression, forgive her.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

Post by Default »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am Honestly I'm really really worried about these fed troop deployments. It will be a great way to scare people from voting if there's a bunch of armed feds throwing people in vans. I'm 100% sure that's where he's going with this. By November all the major dem cities will have troops. This is terrifying.
Oh, hell no, that's not going to stop anybody. You are just going to piss people off, and they will show up.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Default wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:21 pm
Oh, hell no, that's not going to stop anybody. You are just going to piss people off, and they will show up.
Pulling people out of voting lines and throwing them into vans would be a disaster for Trump - that wouldn't work well, and probably wouldn't deter people (might make them more determined).

But instigating conflicts / violence near polling places could work. Or shortly before the election Trump announces gathering restrictions related to coronavirus (no groups of 10+ inside buildings, for example), then has his stormtroopers shut down polling places in Democratic leaning areas on that basis.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:26 pm
Default wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:21 pm
Pulling people out of voting lines and throwing them into vans would be a disaster for Trump - that wouldn't work well, and probably wouldn't deter people (might make them more determined).

But instigating conflicts / violence near polling places could work. Or shortly before the election Trump announces gathering restrictions related to coronavirus (no groups of 10+ inside buildings, for example), then has his stormtroopers shut down polling places in Democratic leaning areas on that basis.
The purpose of trump's invasions is to grow and radicalize the opposition -- to turn peaceful protests into riots. If they're successful, the major Dem cities will be in flames and under martial law (declared or not).