The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by wonderpug »

Sean Spicer is going to be on the next season of Dancing with the Stars in 4 weeks.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 am Rudy Giuliani stepped up to claim that Trump really meant disloyalty to Israel, not disloyalty to the U.S.

But that's another pernicious trope. The idea that Jews must be "loyal" to Israel (meaning they must support the policies of its currently right-wing government) implies that (1) the secular nation of Israel somehow *is* Judaism, and (2) Jews always have divided loyalty.

The first is justified only by apocalyptic theo-political nonsense, and the other is how you get 1930s Germany.
Honestly the most generous interpretation (to Trump) is that Trump was talking about American Jews being disloyal to him. Which would still be hugely problematic.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't get religion but isn't a demand of religious loyalty to a person or government a form of idolatry and isn't idolatry like at the top of the nono list for monotheism? My memory for such things isn't very good but wasn't that why Jews and protestants alike disliked Catholics? That they put too much emphasis on Mary who is not God.

I am so ignorant when it comes to this stuff and I don't seem to have the necessary neurons to integrate the understanding. It's Kerbal Space Program all over again....
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm Sean Spicer is going to be on the next season of Dancing with the Stars in 4 weeks.
The idea that he's somehow able to translate his name and notoriety into TV celebrity is offensive to me. The idea that anyone from the administration is able to do anything other than hide in shame is disgusting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If Hitler had survived AND avoided the Nuremberg trials, I'm quite sure that America's Got Talent would have tried to book him.

In short, these shows thrive on hiring scumbags. Look at The Apprentice, for instance.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm I don't get religion but isn't a demand of religious loyalty to a person or government a form of idolatry and isn't idolatry like at the top of the nono list for monotheism? My memory for such things isn't very good but wasn't that why Jews and protestants alike disliked Catholics? That they put too much emphasis on Mary who is not God.
Jews disagree with Christians over the whole Jesus Son of God thing.

One of the reasons some of the Protestant groups have for being separate from Catholics was around Mary and the saints in general.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really want an Amish president at this point.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm I don't get religion but isn't a demand of religious loyalty to a person or government a form of idolatry and isn't idolatry like at the top of the nono list for monotheism? My memory for such things isn't very good but wasn't that why Jews and protestants alike disliked Catholics? That they put too much emphasis on Mary who is not God.

One of the reasons some of the Protestant groups have for being separate from Catholics was around Mary and the saints in general.
The church that I was raised in taught that Catholics are idolators, and therefore not Christians.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

He would have my vote.

18-1™ & 2-0
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 pm

The church that I was raised in taught that Catholics are idolators, and therefore not Christians.
Yeah, it depends on the flavor on how strongly a group believes that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:45 pm He would have my vote.

I just don't want another tweeting president. That he also fears velcro as a tool of the devil, thinks net neutrality is a term for apathetic fly fishing, and would insist on calling everyone else "the English" is just a bonus.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That is what I see from without but right down to the protestants I don't understand how one flavor are righteous I'll get mine sinners in the hands of an angry God and another flavor live God's benevolent Will and have charity instilled in them so deep they don't seem to know when getting mine is integral to being able to continue being charitable. I don't get reconciling wrath and benevolence. Again, I can't make the leap. Perhaps that's why I'm not really part of the flock when so much of my family is. (I am thankful that none forced us in to enlightenment)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm I don't understand how one flavor are righteous I'll get mine sinners in the hands of an angry God and another flavor live God's benevolent Will and have charity instilled in them so deep they don't seem to know when getting mine is integral to being able to continue being charitable.
It's almost as if the congregation ends up reflecting the desires of those in charge and attracts those that are like-minded.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:18 pm
wonderpug wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm Sean Spicer is going to be on the next season of Dancing with the Stars in 4 weeks.
The idea that he's somehow able to translate his name and notoriety into TV celebrity is offensive to me. The idea that anyone from the administration is able to do anything other than hide in shame is disgusting.
Spicer is from the halcyon days of the early Trump era. Back when a single bald-faced lie was in the news cycle for days and the administration felt the need to smooth it over with a coat of bullshit. Now, why bother?

So Spicer represents a kinder time, a metaphorical Bartles & Jaymes to today's 4 Loko.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:28 pmSo Spicer represents a kinder time, a metaphorical Bartles & Jaymes to today's 4 Loko.
Case in point:

Trump says he's "very seriously" looking at trying to change the Constitution by executive order.

"We're looking at that very seriously -- birthright citizenship. Where you have a baby on our land ... 'congratulations the baby is now a US citizen' ... it's, frankly, ridiculous."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:07 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm I don't understand how one flavor are righteous I'll get mine sinners in the hands of an angry God and another flavor live God's benevolent Will and have charity instilled in them so deep they don't seem to know when getting mine is integral to being able to continue being charitable.
It's almost as if the congregation ends up reflecting the desires of those in charge and attracts those that are like-minded.
What makes me the most sad is the second flavor get mixed with the first and they get used like any other disposable resource of a thing you will eventually just throw away. Their desire to be part of God's Will in charity is focused on the Church of I'll Get Mine. An example of this dichotomy is very close to me and it breaks my heart. :cry:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:40 pmCase in point: <tweets>
Man, I read that thing about birthrights on US soil not guaranteeing citizenship and all I heard in my head was:

Service guarantees citizenship!
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:56 pm Service guarantees citizenship!
Except that it doesn't.
Many Americans probably don’t know it, but the U.S. deports military veterans. Though it’s difficult to determine exactly how often, it happens. That’d be bad enough if we hadn’t also spent many years dangling the prospect of citizenship before these same immigrants before yanking it away from them after putting their lives on the line for this country—their country.

I met two such men, including the first Hector, on a day trip to Tijuana. I stumbled upon the Unified U.S. Deported Veterans Center, scarcely a football field away from the U.S./Mexico border. I was walking along Calle José María Larroque when I saw their sign out on the sidewalk, so I ducked into the modest space. Inside I met Luis Vargas Salazar and Hector “Hex” Lopez. Salazar served in the U.S. Marine Corps in Beirut, Lebanon, and Grenada. Lopez served in Grenada, too. Both men served as what are sometimes referred to as “green card soldiers.” Both men were deported.
Lopez points out a dark irony too: As a veteran, if he died today, he has the right to be buried in the United States “with full military honors.” But so long as he’s alive? He can’t enter the United States—not even for medical care as a U.S. veteran.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And Sarah Sanders Huckleberry just announced she's joining Fox News.

Christ, it's like watching the lives of one giant incestuous family at this point.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 am And Sarah Sanders Huckleberry just announced she's joining Fox News.

Christ, it's like watching the lives of one giant incestuous family at this point.
That's the reward for "service".
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m honestly quite shocked it took this long
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:And Sarah Sanders Huckleberry just announced she's joining Fox News.

The swamp needs to flow somewhere.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is unbelievable. How does this nation survive 5 more years of this? This is an endless nightmare.

Edit: Even more "hilarious" is the original tweet he spelled Powell as Powel. The guy controls nuclear weapons and he is unhinged. Powell simply gave a speech at Jackson Hole. There was nothing for the 'Fed' to do. This fucking maniac thinks that the Fed should be lowering rates every day or something.

Last edited by malchior on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So...why is "brilliantly" in quotes?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going to go out on a limb ans say he's quoting someone's direct comments about him on Fox news.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 am Going to go out on a limb ans say he's quoting someone's direct comments about him on Fox news.
Is "speak" in sarcasm quotes or Fox-said-it quotes?

Also, I love him hinting at some great plan he has up his sleeve. He just needs time to figure out what it is and tell his inept staff to execute some farce of a plan.

How many of these duds have we been treated to already?

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Amazing he can say with a straight face that a man he appointed to run the Fed is a bigger enemy to the US than Xi of China.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 amHow many of these duds have we been treated to already?
All of them? I think we need to hunt for anything he did right which is probably close to 0.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"Billiant!"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 amHow many of these duds have we been treated to already?
All of them? I think we need to hunt for anything he did right which is probably close to 0.
I mean some "big thing to be announced shortly" that turns out to be 6 hours of intern work and a FedEx Kinko's print job.

The Fake News Awards is one I can think of. The North Korean "deal" is another.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Like the big announcements of our victorious trade wars to date, or the ones that solved border problems with Mexico, or the ones that fixed healthcare, maybe about the Puerto Rico woes being solved, or fires of California being solved...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Salon
A federal employee turned over “credible” evidence to House Democrats of possible “inappropriate efforts to influence” the IRS presidential audit process, House lawyers said in a court filing Tuesday.

In July, House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal, D-Mass., sued Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin after the latter rejected the panel’s request for six years of Trump’s tax returns. On Tuesday, House lawyers cited the new evidence in a motion asking a federal judge to rule without trial that the Treasury Department is required by law to turn over the president’s tax returns.

The motion included a letter from Neal to Mnuchin revealing that the committee in July received an “unsolicited communication” from a federal employee “setting forth credible allegations of ‘evidence of possible misconduct’ — specifically, potential ‘inappropriate efforts to influence’ the mandatory audit program,” Politico reported.

In a response two weeks later, Mnuchin rejected Neal’s request for records related to the matter and urged him to take it up with the IRS inspector general.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A fun hashtag has sprung up this morning on Twitter - #IHerebyOrder. Because mocking this shit stain is about all we can do considering our useless political class.

Here is my version

#IHerebyOrder that MLB minor league call up umps find a consistent strike zone
#IHerebyOrder that my cat stop chasing me up the stairs
#IHerebyOrder that Grubhub lower their delivery fees

#IHerebyOrder
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#IHerebyOrder a large Meat Lovers Pizza and an order of breadsticks.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

#IHerebyOrder a lifetime subscription to American Renaissance magazine and Mexico will pay for it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

#IHerebyOrder 1,000 rounds of defense ammo.

#IHerebyHancock Rockit.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:03 pm #IHerebyHancock Rockit.
Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

#IHerebyOrder the end to war, hunger and homeless.

#IHerebyOrder free parking for every apartment.

#IHerebyOrder ollieollieoxenfree.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What an idiot. That's like saying

#IHerebyOrder myself to stop being so damn sexy

:roll:
Covfefe!
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

#HerebyOrder Every team the Longhorns play this year have to quit at halftime.

Also this nitwit has gone crazy. the pressure has clearly gotten to him bc the stuff that's come out of his mouth this last week is bonkers even for him.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup