The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by hepcat »

Fox News isn't even trying to hide the fact that this all about loyalty to Trump. Check out the headline for the announcement:

Ex-federal prosecutor Ratcliffe would bring strong resume, loyalty to DNI gig :roll:
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Fox News isn't even trying to hide the fact that this all about loyalty to Trump. Check out the headline for the announcement:

Ex-federal prosecutor Ratcliffe would bring strong resume, loyalty to DNI gig :roll:
Trump is the state so loyalty to him is loyalty to America. The GOP should just be called the Grand Old Politburo
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just before signing the 9/11 victims compensation bill, Trump jokes with the first responders and their families that the stage may not hold all of them but that if it collapses they "are not falling very far"
Please make it stop.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

There’s no way he actually said th.... oh for f*ck’s sake there’s video?

What joke is he even trying to make there? What the hell?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't make a joke in poor taste. But it does prove he's incapable of compassion. Otherwise he would've felt badly about saying that...or even stopped himself.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm There’s no way he actually said th.... oh for f*ck’s sake there’s video?

What joke is he even trying to make there? What the hell?
Well, you see, many of their friends / colleagues / relatives died when they fell very far when the Twin Towers collapsed. This is funny because here they might also be falling, but not as far, and probably not to their deaths, unlike their friends / colleagues / relatives. So...humor!
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

9/11 is a fertile ground for his act.

Trump on 9/11/2001 wrote:“40 Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest — and then, when they built the World Trade Center, it became known as the second tallest,” Trump said in the WWOR interview. “And now it’s the tallest.”
Huzzah!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:25 pm I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't make a joke in poor taste. But it does prove he's incapable of compassion. Otherwise he would've felt badly about saying that...or even stopped himself.
I actually agree that he likely didn't even consider the connection.

Mostly because he's a blithering idiot.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

$iljanus wrote:
hepcat wrote:Fox News isn't even trying to hide the fact that this all about loyalty to Trump. Check out the headline for the announcement:

Trump is the state so loyalty to him is loyalty to America. The GOP should just be called the Grand Old Politburo
Yup. Need to have Party officials in every department to ensure orthodoxy.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:44 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:25 pm I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he wasn't make a joke in poor taste. But it does prove he's incapable of compassion. Otherwise he would've felt badly about saying that...or even stopped himself.

I dunno...that's a weird non-sequitor otherwise. I think the most likely explanation is that he really was making a 9/11 joke to 9/11 first responders.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:44 pm

How common is it to make a joke about a stage collapsing? I mean even without the 9/11 context it would be a weird remark to make. He had to have been "inspired". I'm sure his mind had some kind of cloudburst like "9/11, buildings collapsed, what if this stage collapses, well it's a lot shorter than a building, aha, joke!"

I can buy that maybe it wasn't malicious, owing to his complete lack of empathy, but not that it was a random unfortunate coincidence.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There were a lot of folks shuffling into line to get up on stage at the time, so I don't think it's that far fetched to assume he wasn't trying to be dark and edgy with the funny.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:16 pm There were a lot of folks shuffling into line to get up on stage at the time, so I don't think it's that far fetched to assume he wasn't trying to be dark and edgy with the funny.
He doesn't have the capacity to be dark and edgy so I'd never assume that. He just associated a few thoughts and did his thing.

I have a 3-year-old who is similarly unfiltered.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 pm I have a 3-year-old who is similarly unfiltered.
I am similarly unfiltered. :oops:

I don't see the problem. I see the unintentionally inappropriate. i see the lack of empathy. It's rollyeyes worthy which means little to me in this sea of shit that comes form the Whitehouse and those lay MAGAts that feed off it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In his own mind he's a rapid fire comedic Robin Williams who can riff on anything, so in a microsecond his brain goes to large groups of people collapsing stages on American's Funniest Home Videos and his mouth just says it. I doubt there was any malicious intent. He's just an idiot.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rewinding back a couple shitstorms, let's check out "There's Always A Tweet: Baltimore Edition"

2015 Donald Trump wrote:Our country has to come together. We have to start working with, and really liking, each other. The whole world is watching Baltimore.

President Obama, you have a big job to do. Go to Baltimore and bring both sides together. With proper leadership, it can be done! Do it.

"@Vanderpunked: Can we drop @realDonaldTrump off in the middle of #Baltimore so he can show Obama how it's done?" I would fix it fast!
So...Baltimore's struggles are entirely due to Presidential ineptitude, they are the POTUS' responsibility to correct, and Trump could fix it immediately if he were in charge.

Gee, I wonder what changed?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:20 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:27 pm
GungHo wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 pm Amazing how these fools keep lining up to shovel trump's shit then leave covered in it while he continues to sit untouched on his throne.

Scary to think what the new crop of sycophants in there now will let him get away with, if we believe that this 'old guard' (Mattis, McMaster, Kelly etc) really did try to hamper him.
Coats has a reputation for not sucking up to Trump and attempting to keep alive the mission of the intelligence services. He has spoken out against Russian interference and has testified to Congress that it is serious and real.

This is not yet-another-scandal-plagued-departure. Coats' retirement and replacement by a Trump loyalist is a serious threat to the country.
I kind of assumed that what's left of the administrative branch had already been reduced to incompetents who are only there to scavenge the corpse. You're telling me that there are still pockets of professionalism that haven't been rooted out yet?
Remember when U.S. Cyber Command effectively counter-attacked Russian cyber assets during the 2018 election?

It keeps being rumored that Coats and some others managed that operation with, shall we say, minimal input from the White House.

Coats' likely replacement spent his time at the Mueller hearing attacking the investigation and running Fox talking points.

We are fucked.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So maybe this is why President Treason went after Representative Cummings?

BREAKING: Chairman @RepCummings releases new documents that show corporate and foreign interests seek to influence U.S. nuclear policy towards Saudi Arabia.
This...kinda feels like a big deal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

News that Russians tried to break into all 50 election systems across the country barely registered. Nothing matters anymore.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

YellowKing wrote:In his own mind he's a rapid fire comedic Robin Williams who can riff on anything, so in a microsecond his brain goes to large groups of people collapsing stages on American's Funniest Home Videos and his mouth just says it. I doubt there was any malicious intent. He's just an idiot who is President and should know better.
Mortoned.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:16 pm There were a lot of folks shuffling into line to get up on stage at the time, so I don't think it's that far fetched to assume he wasn't trying to be dark and edgy with the funny.
Has he made that joke with any other crowds getting onto a stage?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don’t know, and even if he hasn’t that’s not proof he was making an intentional joke at the expense of 9/11 victims. There’s a first time for every unintentional gaffe.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm
Just before signing the 9/11 victims compensation bill, Trump jokes with the first responders and their families that the stage may not hold all of them but that if it collapses they "are not falling very far"
Please make it stop.
During that same speech, he apparently said this as well

“I was down there [at Ground Zero] also, but I'm not considering myself a first responder, but I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you."

I can only assume his comments on the moon landing feature his remembrances from his work in Mission Control as the first steps were being taken on the moon.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:47 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm
Please make it stop.
During that same speech, he apparently said this as well

“I was down there [at Ground Zero] also, but I'm not considering myself a first responder, but I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you."

I can only assume his comments on the moon landing feature his remembrances from his work in Mission Control as the first steps were being taken on the moon.
This claim has been roundly debubked. Unless he went down there in disguise and snuck around, no one remembers seeing him down there.

He has also said he saw people jumping from.the towers from his office in Trump Tower. 4 miles away.

FWIW, I was in Lower Manhattan on 9/27/2001 and even then, while the area was largely deserted, Ground Zero was highly active with cameras and checkpoints everywhere. No way Trump goes down there without a shitload of coverage.

Also, there the rooftop celebrations with thousands of Muslims cheering? More Trump fabrication.

So all his 9/11 bullshit is pure pandering.

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 am
Has he made that joke with any other crowds getting onto a stage?
I thought he said it toward the end of his remarks.

MYT
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I know this is a small sample size but I have hope that some of the states that flipped red in the 16 election will flip back and let me explain why. Disclaimer, this is based purely on my own observations and nothing else.

I live in rural Ohio, on my 15 mile drive to work I pass at least 6 full size Trump 2020 flags (and one giant rock that has TRUMP painted on it) flying at different locations. This is expected, I live in a VERY Republican county. Over the weekend I drove through large parts of rural Indiana, Illinois and (most importantly for this observation) Wisconsin. These places should be hot beds for Trump supporters. I actively looked for any signs of support for Trump on those country roads and I did not see a single one. I know that's not scientific evidence, but I would have thought for sure that I would have seen at least one in Indiana. The fact that I didn't see any in Wisconsin gives me hope because it is a sign that Wisconsin and other Midwestern states like it could flip back to the Democrats in 2020.

Again I know these observations don't mean much but they do give me hope. Is it a sign that his support is waning with moderate Republicans and Independents? I don't know. What I do know is that his base is still very much on the Trump train and if there is any hope of a switch next year it will come from the suburbs and rural areas of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
FTE
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:59 am
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:47 am During that same speech, he apparently said this as well

This claim has been roundly debubked. Unless he went down there in disguise and snuck around, no one remembers seeing him down there.

He has also said he saw people jumping from.the towers from his office in Trump Tower. 4 miles away.

FWIW, I was in Lower Manhattan on 9/27/2001 and even then, while the area was largely deserted, Ground Zero was highly active with cameras and checkpoints everywhere. No way Trump goes down there without a shitload of coverage.

Also, there the rooftop celebrations with thousands of Muslims cheering? More Trump fabrication.

So all his 9/11 bullshit is pure pandering.
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting he was there. Just noting the insanity continues.

The day it happened, wasn't he also calling into stations saying how his building was now the tallest because the Trade Centers were down? (And even then it wasn't the tallest.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 am

The day it happened, wasn't he also calling into stations saying how his building was now the tallest because the Trade Centers were down? (And even then it wasn't the tallest.)
Yep. You could almost hear the glee in his voice.

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm 9/11 is a fertile ground for his act.

Trump on 9/11/2001 wrote:“40 Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest — and then, when they built the World Trade Center, it became known as the second tallest,” Trump said in the WWOR interview. “And now it’s the tallest.”
Huzzah!

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am I know this is a small sample size but I have hope that some of the states that flipped red in the 16 election will flip back and let me explain why. Disclaimer, this is based purely on my own observations and nothing else.

I live in rural Ohio, on my 15 mile drive to work I pass at least 6 full size Trump 2020 flags (and one giant rock that has TRUMP painted on it) flying at different locations. This is expected, I live in a VERY Republican county. Over the weekend I drove through large parts of rural Indiana, Illinois and (most importantly for this observation) Wisconsin. These places should be hot beds for Trump supporters. I actively looked for any signs of support for Trump on those country roads and I did not see a single one. I know that's not scientific evidence, but I would have thought for sure that I would have seen at least one in Indiana. The fact that I didn't see any in Wisconsin gives me hope because it is a sign that Wisconsin and other Midwestern states like it could flip back to the Democrats in 2020.

Again I know these observations don't mean much but they do give me hope. Is it a sign that his support is waning with moderate Republicans and Independents? I don't know. What I do know is that his base is still very much on the Trump train and if there is any hope of a switch next year it will come from the suburbs and rural areas of Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
I wouldn't put too much into Indiana either way. They never had a lot of Trump signage. Pence has been their guy since 2001 so it's kind of unnecessary.

Michigan doesn't have room for Trump signs with all the guns and weed ads.

Keep in mind, all bets are off beginning around this time next year when battle lines need to be drawn.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am
Not doing great with independents:

Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:47 am During that same speech, he apparently said this as well

Nonsense. He was very clear about how be beat low-energy weak Armstrong down the ladder.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 am

Phew, great news. Now I don't have to vote!

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You live in Illinois. That boat sailed a long time ago.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 am

Phew, great news. Now I don't have to vote!
:lol:

I keep reminding myself that he "won" by barely 87,000 votes spread across three states, with Russian help, and with Democrats feeling smug that Clinton was inevitable. She never even campaigned in MI, and only lost there by 11,000 votes, almost a rounding error. So it should not take a huge effort to flip those states back.

Granted, Trump has all the advantages of incumbency plus four more years of GOP rigging, and they've given Putin the green light to jump in again. The starting conditions are different now, and the only real issue is whether or not to junk democracy for a permanent MAGA Nation. Patriotic Americans must recognize this threat and not be sanguine. But I like our chances.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 amI keep reminding myself that he "won" by barely 87,000 votes spread across three states, with Russian help, and with Democrats feeling smug that Clinton was inevitable.
That's great and all, but it's a complete embarrassment that Trump won a single state even at the primary level, let alone in the general election.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:49 pm Welp, here's one hero that Trump won't need to pardon.

U.S. Navy SEAL acquitted of most serious charges in war crimes trial
Nothing to see here, just Trump punishing military lawyers who prosecuted allegations of war crimes:
​President Trump said Wednesday that he would order the Navy to rescind medals given to military lawyers who prosecuted a ​former ​Navy SEAL the president supported during his court martial on murder charges.

“The Prosecutors who lost the case against SEAL Eddie Gallagher (who I released from solitary confinement so he could fight his case properly), were ridiculously given a Navy Achievement Medal,” Trump wrote on Twitter.

“I have directed the Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer & Chief of Naval Operations John Richardson to immediately withdraw and rescind the awards​,” Trump continued.

​”I am very happy for Eddie Gallagher and his family!​”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There really is nothing that is beneath him, eh?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This seems like a totally legit request that is in no way troubling.
The Trump administration is taking inventory of many of America’s top spies, The Daily Beast has learned. The White House recently asked the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) for a list of all its employees at the federal government’s top pay scale who have worked there for 90 days or more, according to two sources familiar with the request.

The request appears to be part of the White House’s search for a temporary director of national intelligence—a prospect that raises concerns in some quarters about political influence over the Intelligence Community.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:35 pm This seems like a totally legit request that is in no way troubling.
The Trump administration is taking inventory of many of America’s top spies, The Daily Beast has learned. The White House recently asked the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) for a list of all its employees at the federal government’s top pay scale who have worked there for 90 days or more, according to two sources familiar with the request.

The request appears to be part of the White House’s search for a temporary director of national intelligence—a prospect that raises concerns in some quarters about political influence over the Intelligence Community.
Apparently the law states that the person directly beneath Coats is supposed to become interim director, but of course that's not good enough for Trump.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The chatter I've seen is that Radcliffe's nomination is coming with some strings from some GOP Senators. He is seen as too inexperienced and political so some are speculating they want to tie his approval to keeping Susan Gordon as his top deputy (who is mentioned by name in the yahoo story). As the story mentions though, she is apolitical so this probably is a search for someone more in Trump's mold who could fit the role and could be sold to the skeptics in his caucus. Everything's fine though. Don't worry about it.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Withdrawn
Home of the Akimbo AWPs