The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Scoop20906

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Scoop20906 »

OK. I am a fan of trying to things differently in Washington and I know there are a lot of smart people who do this every day in Washington. I work with some of them and keep in touch with others.

But the bureaucracy and rulez prevent a lot of great ideas from getting of the ground.

Bringing in a bunch of business people won't change this and if they guys understood government they would be doing it instead of the private sector.

I don't think this will amount to much simply because everything involved with Trump is poorly thought out and doesn't take into account the realities of well reality. I'll be watching this and hoping for something good but they want to reinvent veteran affairs? I hope they know what they are getting in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Carpet_pissr

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scoop20906 wrote:I don't think this will amount to much simply because everything involved with Trump is poorly thought out and doesn't take into account the realities of well reality. I'll be watching this and hoping for something good but they want to reinvent veteran affairs? I hope they know what they are getting in to.
Of course they don't. Very big talk until they actually get into the meat of issues. See: "Wow, healthcare is REALLY hard and REALLY complicated! WHO KNEW?"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kushner is positioning the new office as “an offensive team” — an aggressive, nonideological ideas factory capable of attracting top talent from both inside and outside of government, and serving as a conduit with the business, philanthropic and academic communities.
The very idea of the office is ideological. One side wants government run like a business, for better and worse, and the other side wants government to be government.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scoop20906 wrote:
But the bureaucracy and rulez prevent a lot of great ideas from getting of the ground.
The bureaucracy and rulez are there for a reason. Government shouldn't move at the speed of business because there's a lot more at stake than another failed start-up.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Govt isn't a business. And their understanding of business isn't even correct. Business isn't about achievements and efficiencies for the customer (forgetting the fact that we are the Board of Directors and not the customer). Business is about one thing - making money.

And government isn't and can't be about that (except for enriching the First Family I guess).

So, nothing about the White House asking Fox News to lie and say the Prez was working at the White House while he was out golfing again, and Fox News doing it?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

RunningMn9 wrote:So, nothing about the White House asking Fox News to lie and say the Prez was working at the White House while he was out golfing again, and Fox News doing it?
Link?

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Scoop20906 wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:So, nothing about the White House asking Fox News to lie and say the Prez was working at the White House while he was out golfing again, and Fox News doing it?
Link?
Link.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

BTW, if you start to hear conservative pundits wax starry-eyed over the innovation of putting Kushner in charge of running the government like a business, remember that Kushner is 36 years old and his business expertise consists of inheriting his dad's company after dad was sent to jail for illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering.

Fun fact: the U.S. attorney who sent dad to prison was none other than Chris Christie.

Kushner being Trump's son-in-law, there was never any point during Trump's whole long candidacy at which Christie had the slightest chance of being anything but a prop to be discarded. You have to wonder what illusions he had about Trump's impartial goodness.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And yet...
President Donald Trump is tapping Gov. Chris Christie to chair a commission devoted to combatting opioid abuse in America, two sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed to NJ Advance Media.
The position would be a part-time volunteer job and would not require Christie, a longtime Trump friend and adviser and fellow Republican, to step down as New Jersey's governor, according to the sources, who requested anonymity to speak candidly about the situation.
Christie has been working with Trump's son-in-law, New Jersey native Jared Kushner, on the issue, despite long-running reports of friction between the two of them, according to the Post.

Trump is expected to formally announce Christie's position later this week, the newspaper added.
This after Christie: 'I don't see any evidence' Trump was ever spied on by U.S.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Better Kushner than Bannon.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tgb wrote:Better Kushner than Bannon.
He's the Kraken being held in reserve. Once enough chum has been thrown out, policies eviscerated, and he's created enough chaos, Trump will step aside and Bannon will cast off his guise, sliding into the blood-soaked political ocean to feed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:And yet...
President Donald Trump is tapping Gov. Chris Christie to chair a commission devoted to combatting opioid abuse in America, two sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed to NJ Advance Media.
The position would be a part-time volunteer job and would not require Christie, a longtime Trump friend and adviser and fellow Republican, to step down as New Jersey's governor, according to the sources, who requested anonymity to speak candidly about the situation.
Christie has been working with Trump's son-in-law, New Jersey native Jared Kushner, on the issue, despite long-running reports of friction between the two of them, according to the Post.

Trump is expected to formally announce Christie's position later this week, the newspaper added.
Well, that's very surprising. If I were Christie, though, I would be very suspicious of any gifts or opportunities coming from Trump.

There's a not-insignificant chance that they're setting him up as a patsy, or maybe as an unpopular figurehead/lightning rod for the New War On Drugs.

Or maybe they realize that big-name groveling submission like Christie's is in shorter supply now that the wheels are coming off.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Holman wrote:
President Donald Drumpf is tapping Gov. Chris Christie to chair a commission devoted to combatting opioid abuse in America, two sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed to NJ Advance Media.
The position would be a part-time volunteer job and would not require Christie, a longtime Drumpf friend and adviser and fellow Republican, to step down as New Jersey's governor, according to the sources, who requested anonymity to speak candidly about the situation.
Christie has been working with Drumpf's son-in-law, New Jersey native Jared Kushner, on the issue, despite long-running reports of friction between the two of them, according to the Post.

Drumpf is expected to formally announce Christie's position later this week, the newspaper added.
This after Christie: 'I don't see any evidence' Drumpf was ever spied on by U.S.
Well, that's very surprising. If I were Christie, though, I would be very suspicious of any gifts or opportunities coming from Drumpf.

There's a not-insignificant chance that they're setting him up as a patsy, or maybe as an unpopular figurehead/lightning rod for the New War On Drugs.

Or maybe they realize that big-name groveling submission like Christie's is in shorter supply now that the wheels are coming off.
Trump's pool of people he trusts to come work for him are quite small. You don't have to go far then seem the number of administrative posts he has yet to fill. Many qualified people do not want to work for him knowing at any moment he expects complete undying loyalty while providing none in return.

I realize at some point if he is to survive there will be a Trump 2.0 but I wonder if by that point he will be appointing fox news hosts cause thats the only ones left.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Paingod wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:
Link?
Link.
That is such an inane headline. To be honest the less time he is doing his "job" then things are probably better for our country. I wonder how long before he spends his first week out of the White House?

Within two months?

One month?

Any guesses?

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote:

Well, that's very surprising. If I were Christie, though, I would be very suspicious of any gifts or opportunities coming from Trump.

I'd venture a guess that Kushner may have suggested Christie for the job, despite the fact that they pretty much hate each other. Christie has actually been promoting some very responsible policies in NJ (at least on paper) aimed at reducing the drug epidemic, so he is a decent candidate for the job.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote:
Holman wrote:

I'd venture a guess that Kushner may have suggested Christie for the job, despite the fact that they pretty much hate each other. Christie has actually been promoting some very responsible policies in NJ (at least on paper) aimed at reducing the drug epidemic, so he is a decent candidate for the job.
Awhile back I saw a speech that Christie gave on addiction and abuse, talking about a friend of his who was a well established and reputable law firm partner before getting addicted to something (not sure if it was an opoid or not) and then descending into losing his family and job and eventually dying. It was a genuinely moving speech, and so I think this is an issue that Christie genuinely cares about. In terms of post-NJ jobs this is probably the best case scenario, both for Christie and everyone else.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

El Guapo wrote:
gilraen wrote:
Holman wrote:
President Donald Drumpf is tapping Gov. Chris Christie to chair a commission devoted to combatting opioid abuse in America, two sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed to NJ Advance Media.
The position would be a part-time volunteer job and would not require Christie, a longtime Drumpf friend and adviser and fellow Republican, to step down as New Jersey's governor, according to the sources, who requested anonymity to speak candidly about the situation.
Christie has been working with Drumpf's son-in-law, New Jersey native Jared Kushner, on the issue, despite long-running reports of friction between the two of them, according to the Post.

Drumpf is expected to formally announce Christie's position later this week, the newspaper added.
This after Christie: 'I don't see any evidence' Drumpf was ever spied on by U.S.
Well, that's very surprising. If I were Christie, though, I would be very suspicious of any gifts or opportunities coming from Drumpf.

Awhile back I saw a speech that Christie gave on addiction and abuse, talking about a friend of his who was a well established and reputable law firm partner before getting addicted to something (not sure if it was an opoid or not) and then descending into losing his family and job and eventually dying. It was a genuinely moving speech, and so I think this is an issue that Christie genuinely cares about. In terms of post-NJ jobs this is probably the best case scenario, both for Christie and everyone else.
You know I was talking to my boss and I said something good needs to come out of this administration. Maybe this is one of those things. Its nice to see some refreshing news.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a NJ local and someone that's part of the larger public health community, I would not consider the recent legislation from Chris Christie a "win". It makes him look good and the general public might like it because it appears he's doing something, but I'm not aware of anyone in the medical or public health community that feels this was a good broad-brush decision. I'd argue it further cements Chris Christie as a guy that wants to look good but doesn't actually care what the long term impacts will be.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

How Trump’s presidency is succeeding
Was the failure of the health-care bill a fatal blow to Trump's presidency? Not really. Despite the chaos and the growing credibility gap, Trump is systematically succeeding in his quest to “deconstruct the administrative state.”

THE BIG IDEA: Reading some of the news coverage this weekend, one might get the impression that Donald Trump’s failure to repeal Obamacare is akin to Woodrow Wilson not getting the League of Nations ratified. In other words, a fatal blow to his presidency. That’s hooey.
  • Health care is a siren song that has seduced many presidents since Harry Truman called for a national insurance program in 1945. Bill Clinton, for instance, spent far more political capital on the issue than Trump during his first year as president. His party also controlled both chambers of Congress, and he too failed spectacularly. But Clinton bounced back and won reelection.
  • Liberals mock Trump as ineffective at their own peril. Yes, it’s easy to joke about how Trump said during the campaign that he’d win so much people would get tired of winning. Both of his travel bans have been blocked – for now. An active FBI investigation into his associates is a big gray cloud over the White House. The president himself falsely accused his predecessor of wiretapping him. His first national security adviser registered as a foreign agent after being fired for not being honest about his contacts with the Russian ambassador. His attorney general, at best, misled Congress under oath.
  • Despite the chaos and the growing credibility gap, Trump is systematically succeeding in his quest to “deconstruct the administrative state,” as his chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon puts it. He’s pursued the most aggressive regulatory rollback since Ronald Reagan, especially on environmental issues, with a series of bills and executive orders. He’s placed devoted ideologues into perches from which they can stop aggressively enforcing laws that conservatives don’t like. By not filling certain posts, he’s ensuring that certain government functions will simply not be performed. His budget proposal spotlighted his desire to make as much of the federal bureaucracy as possible wither on the vine.
  • Trump has been using executive orders to tie the hands of rule makers. He put in place a regulatory freeze during his first hours, mandated that two regulations be repealed for every new one that goes on the books and ordered a top-to-bottom review of the government with an eye toward shrinking it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Max Peck wrote:How Trump’s presidency is succeeding
Was the failure of the health-care bill a fatal blow to Trump's presidency? Not really. Despite the chaos and the growing credibility gap, Trump is systematically succeeding in his quest to “deconstruct the administrative state.”

THE BIG IDEA: Reading some of the news coverage this weekend, one might get the impression that Donald Trump’s failure to repeal Obamacare is akin to Woodrow Wilson not getting the League of Nations ratified. In other words, a fatal blow to his presidency. That’s hooey.
  • Health care is a siren song that has seduced many presidents since Harry Truman called for a national insurance program in 1945. Bill Clinton, for instance, spent far more political capital on the issue than Trump during his first year as president. His party also controlled both chambers of Congress, and he too failed spectacularly. But Clinton bounced back and won reelection.
  • Liberals mock Trump as ineffective at their own peril. Yes, it’s easy to joke about how Trump said during the campaign that he’d win so much people would get tired of winning. Both of his travel bans have been blocked – for now. An active FBI investigation into his associates is a big gray cloud over the White House. The president himself falsely accused his predecessor of wiretapping him. His first national security adviser registered as a foreign agent after being fired for not being honest about his contacts with the Russian ambassador. His attorney general, at best, misled Congress under oath.
  • Despite the chaos and the growing credibility gap, Trump is systematically succeeding in his quest to “deconstruct the administrative state,” as his chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon puts it. He’s pursued the most aggressive regulatory rollback since Ronald Reagan, especially on environmental issues, with a series of bills and executive orders. He’s placed devoted ideologues into perches from which they can stop aggressively enforcing laws that conservatives don’t like. By not filling certain posts, he’s ensuring that certain government functions will simply not be performed. His budget proposal spotlighted his desire to make as much of the federal bureaucracy as possible wither on the vine.
  • Trump has been using executive orders to tie the hands of rule makers. He put in place a regulatory freeze during his first hours, mandated that two regulations be repealed for every new one that goes on the books and ordered a top-to-bottom review of the government with an eye toward shrinking it.
I don't think he's passed a single bill that wasn't a Joint Resolution regarding a rule, or a naming bill.

Essentially because he hasn't even gotten a serious bill to a vote in either house.

However, I don't "mock his ineffectiveness", but I am happy with some of his failures thus far, and am very disturbed by a lot of other things. I do hope that the lessons he learns from his failures lead to a better approach to actually governing, but I fear that won't be the case given his patterns thus far.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At last we learn of the real victim of Trump's ascendancy.
A Canadian man's last name has been deemed too offensive to go on his personalised car number plate.

Lorne Grabher says the plate, which he has had for decades, was suddenly refused when it came up for renewal.

Nova Scotia's transport department told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation the plate could be misinterpreted as a symbol of "violence against women".

Mr Grabher said the name is of Germanic origin, and that he bought the plate for his father's 65th birthday.

He started using the plate after his father died.

"I've never once had anybody come up to me and say they were offended," Mr Grabher told CBC News.

"They would look at it and say, 'Am I reading this right?' And I would go, 'Yes.'

"And they would go, 'Is this your last name?' And I would go, 'Yes.' And they would always just give a little chuckle."'
Talk about over-reaching government regulation...

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So I take it:

Image- JOB

is right out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jaymann wrote:So I take it:

Image- JOB

is right out.
Oh, no.. That's perfectly fine. The important thing is that it supports Trump's claim of creating more jobs, in whatever form.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

"When DC Comics made Lex Luthor president, he sold LexCorp. Trump is literally less ethical than a comic book villain."
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Holman wrote: "When DC Comics made Lex Luthor president, he sold LexCorp. Trump is literally less ethical than a comic book villain."
This made my day!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Image- JOB

is right out.
Didn't know you'd had your last name changed ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote:

Image- JOB

is right out.
Didn't know you'd had your last name changed ;)
He hasn't, it is just a stage name.
Scoop20906

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Scoop20906 »

Remember the "Bo Knows" ads from the 80s?

Krushner Knows might the new thing:

White House Announces Jared Kushner Is Now Responsible For Everything - The Huffington Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Trump prepares to score his biggest win yet.
President Trump will take the most significant step yet in obliterating his predecessor’s environmental record Tuesday, instructing federal regulators to rewrite key rules curbing U.S. carbon emissions.

The sweeping executive order also seeks to lift a moratorium on federal coal leasing and remove the requirement that federal officials consider the impact of climate change when making decisions.

The order sends an unmistakable signal that just as President Barack Obama sought to weave climate considerations into every aspect of the federal government, Trump is hoping to rip that approach out by its roots.

“This policy is in keeping with President Trump’s desire to make the United States energy independent,” said a senior administration official who briefed reporters on the directive Monday evening and asked for anonymity to speak in advance of the announcement. “When it comes to climate change, we want to take our course and do it in our own form and fashion.”

Some of the measures could take years to implement and are unlikely to alter broader economic trends that are shifting the nation’s electricity mix from coal-fired generation to natural gas and renewables. The order is silent on whether the United States should withdraw from the 2015 Paris climate agreement, under which it has pledged to cut its greenhouse gas emissions between 26 and 28 percent by 2025 compared to 2005 levels, because the administration remains divided on that question.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote:
The order is silent on whether the United States should withdraw from the 2015 Paris climate agreement, under which it has pledged to cut its greenhouse gas emissions between 26 and 28 percent by 2025 compared to 2005 levels, because the administration remains divided on that question.
Meaning Ivanka and dad don't see eye-to-eye?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
The order is silent on whether the United States should withdraw from the 2015 Paris climate agreement, under which it has pledged to cut its greenhouse gas emissions between 26 and 28 percent by 2025 compared to 2005 levels, because the administration remains divided on that question.
Meaning Trump merely wants to scrap the deal while Bannon wants to seize Paris for the Reich.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Meaning Trump merely wants to scrap the deal while Bannon wants to seize Paris for the Reich.
How hard could that be?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A friend just posted a snapchat link on FB of Betsy Devos and Ivanka at NASA "excited to celebrate the role of women and girls in STEM" I could feel the bile rising from so many ducts that I needed to vent... Trump and Women? Trump and Science? Trump and STEM Education. Trumps concern for girl's education?

And of course the poster advocates for the role of women and girls in STEM are two billionaire heiresses, a Christian Faith Warrior Donor who purchased her way in to favor and the child of narcissistic nepotism.

I really try not to make Ivanka a target of malice but I fail.

Trump also wants to slash international education programs, currently costing $7 million, which helps support exchange students and global academic initiatives.

Had a special teacher who changed your life? Well, teacher recruitment and training would suffer greatly under the plan — with the Teacher Quality Partnership grants and Supporting Effective Instruction State Grants program on the list of budget losses.

The proposal cuts the Department of Health and Human Services’ training services for those who want to work in the health professions or on the nursing career track. The White House says they want to instead move $403 million of those funds to scholarships and student loan aid for people serving in parts of the U.S. dealing with a nursing shortage.

And: 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums in the U.S. may be further strapped as the Institute of Museum and Library Services faces cuts.

Looking elsewhere, the NASA education office is also on the chopping block. The White House says it basically does the same thing as the department’s Science Mission Directorate.

Community service organizations funded by the government are mentioned in the budget as well. The Corporation for National and Community Service gets $771 million annually, and Trump wants to slash that allotment. They’re known for AmeriCorps, Learn and Serve America, and its Social Innovation Fund work.

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, a program with $11 million government funding, supports young Americans interested in social and community work. They also host research and fellowships in the social, humanities fields.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote:A friend just posted a snapchat link on FB of Betsy Devos and Ivanka at NASA "excited to celebrate the role of women and girls in STEM" I could feel the bile rising from so many ducts that I needed to vent... Trump and Women? Trump and Science? Trump and STEM Education. Trumps concern for girl's education?
DeVos and STEM education?? DeVos, who went to a Christian school and a liberal arts college, and who invests in snake-oil science like "biofeedback therapy"?
Trump also wants to slash international education programs, currently costing $7 million, which helps support exchange students and global academic initiatives.
The entire program costs less than one of Drumpf's weekend getaway to Mar-a-Lago. What a disgusting pig.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gilraen wrote: DeVos and STEM education?? DeVos, who went to a Christian school and a liberal arts college, and who invests in snake-oil science like "biofeedback therapy"?
(I have nothing but contempt for DeVos, but surely you don't mean "liberal arts college" to be a bad thing?)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holman wrote:
gilraen wrote: DeVos and STEM education?? DeVos, who went to a Christian school and a liberal arts college, and who invests in snake-oil science like "biofeedback therapy"?
(I have nothing but contempt for DeVos, but surely you don't mean "liberal arts college" to be a bad thing?)
No, I didn't mean it that way, and I'm sure Calvin College offers some STEM programs (in addition to their "Developing a Christian Mind" mandatory course...) - but since DeVos didn't major in any of them, I don't consider her to be qualified to speak out on women in STEM.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Presumably it is where she learned of the importance of STEM education and the shortage of women in STEM fields.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

My high school physics/computer programming/calculus teacher had a degree from Calvin College.

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Meal wrote:My high school physics/computer programming/calculus teacher had a degree from Calvin College.
That's a lot of hats for one teacher to wear!
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

He was a fantastic teacher. Other than his computers classes, he really only taught courses to the college-bound seniors. And I had him for three of my six periods my senior year.

He was a mellow dude and rolled with so much of the stuff we threw at him. Typically he'd show up for the physics class a few minutes late (as he had to switch from his normal computers room to a different wing in our high school). One time by the time he got there, we had moved the desks and the portable blackboard to the lawn just outside the class room. He let himself out the external door to the biology room and taught that day's lecture as if nothing were different.

We had a fire drill early in the school year and the next day's recap over the loudspeakers (occurring during our physics class) mistakenly stated during future fire drills we should all move 300 yards away from the building. The next fire drill happened during physics, and true to our previous discussion we all met up at the McDonalds on the other side of the football field. 300 yards is 300 yards, after all.

We "broke into" the school one weekend (Tim's mom was our English teacher, and he surreptitiously pilfered her set of keys) and filled the floor of the computer room up 3' high with balloons. He loved it. Well, he loved it until the first period's class, in their stompy efforts to clean up the mess, came across a few of the water balloons we had left behind. He chewed us out for that. Water + Apple ][ computers was a no-no. Mea culpa.

For a physics midterm all his test problems involved things happening to doughnuts (probably the lessons involving projectile motion or something). The next lecture, coordinate on the cue of his chalk touching the chalkboard, we pelted him with doughnut holes. He roared with delight. (There were a lot of greasy 1.5" circles on the blackboard for the rest of that week, which I'm sure confused other teachers using that room.)

The summer after graduation the core of this class (about a dozen of us) snuck out to his farm and recreated the Monte Python scene with the chanting monks slapping themselves in the face (we used calculus books). He had to do some explaining to his wife, but he got a big kick out of it.

He was a big one for "when the work's done, your time is yours." The bakery runs this attitude enabled is probably the genesis for the doughnut-themed mid-term. He basically gave a bunch of high school seniors the sort of leeway most of us wouldn't normally see until college a year early, and for the most part we didn't take advantage of his flexibility and trust.

Thanks KB (Oh, whoops. K-college, not Calvin. My bad.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra