The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm If anyone gets fired, they should refuse to leave and file multiple suits.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm If anyone gets fired, they should refuse to leave and file multiple suits.
I'm pretty sure that's what one of them has been doing for the past few weeks.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

:clap:
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:45 am
I'm pretty sure that's what one of them has been doing for the past few weeks.
One lawsuit is in motion already. Emphasis added. That is the clear issue. If the report that 88% of OMB is in the 'exception' category is accurate this will be a no-brainer. If it was 1% then maybe there would be something to argue. This was a ham-fisted move.
An employee union and three House Democrats on Tuesday launched a new defense against the president’s recent executive order on the career federal workforce.

The National Treasury Employee’s Union is suing the Trump administration over the recent executive order, which President Donald Trump signed last week.

NTEU filed a lawsuit Monday night in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. The union is looking for declaratory and injunctive relief from the Schedule F executive order, and the suit names the president and Michael Rigas, the acting director of the Office of Personnel Management, as defendants in the case.

“This case is a textbook example of the president acting contrary to Congress’s express and limited delegation of authority to the president,” the NTEU lawsuit reads. “Under the law, the president may only except positions from the competitive service when ‘necessary’ and ‘as conditions of good administration warrant.’ The president’s sweeping order fails to make a meaningful showing that shifting large numbers of federal employees into a new excepted service category so that they can be fired more quickly and without cause is necessary or supported by good administration principles.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think the long-term impact of this EO is going to be pretty limited, though maybe a few people get fired between now and inauguration day. But it's another view into how Trump was going to bring the federal bureaucracy fully to heel in service of his ambitions to consolidate an autocracy in his second term.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:14 pm I think the long-term impact of this EO is going to be pretty limited, though maybe a few people get fired between now and inauguration day. But it's another view into how Trump was going to bring the federal bureaucracy fully to heel in service of his ambitions to consolidate an autocracy in his second term.
True. I take it a bit as evidence why some of it might have failed. This is such a amateurish swipe at it. Honestly it feels like it was done to placate Trump who was complaining about the bureaucracy. They jumped more than few hurdles when a more deliberate approach chipping away at it with their new 'Federalist judiciary' would have been more effective.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When Rush Limbaugh turns on you, you might just be ready for the broom.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Trump takes credit for DOW reaching 30K. Due to Biden transition? Nah, hiding in a bunker is great for the economy.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Like a few of us were just mentioning in the investment thread... Doesn't feel right. In any event, the Dow hitting ATH is great for a small percentage of America, but it's minor news for most during the pandemic.

[Edit - Also, it's almost as through DJT hasn't made the connection to the fact that it's news that he's really, truly, for realz this time on his way out that helped spur these recent gains.]
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's also not a great indicator. There's inflation, the fact that the DOW is price weighted, the fact that there are fewer stocks available to invest in today vs any time in the past, all drive up the points number out of pace.

And the fact that the 1% still owns around 80% of the DOW (how's Occupy going?).
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm Trump takes credit for DOW reaching 30K. Due to Biden transition? Nah, hiding in a bunker is great for the economy.
I don't think it's specifically Biden, I think it's first and foremost over-reaction to vaccine news, which is more closely related to Trump, aka warp speed (with the exception Pfizer) but secondly related to Biden only insofar as the market has more faith that he will push through COVID relief where Trump doesn't care and lets Mitch take the heat for his apathy.

All that said, none of it makes sense. I've been saving my paychecks for the new year instead of investing. I don't feel good about putting new money anywhere. I did put my 401k back in about two days too late after the initial Pfizer announcement, while still waiting on election news to clear and I'm glad I did. I was losing about .25% a week in my 401k money market :shock: and at least for now, I'm up about 5% from that slow bleed low. I fully expect that to go poof sooner than later.

Just took a peak. Looking at across the board 2-6% ups today for me in my personal portfolio. The hell?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Staying on-brand to the end. Also: Good.

Outgoing First Lady Melania Trump - who once said she resented the burden of having to decorate the White House for Christmas - will skip the unveiling of this year's holiday décor. White House says: "The First Lady will not be in attendance."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 pm Staying on-brand to the end. Also: Good.

Outgoing First Lady Melania Trump - who once said she resented the burden of having to decorate the White House for Christmas - will skip the unveiling of this year's holiday décor. White House says: "The First Lady will not be in attendance."
Why even spend the money on decorations then?

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not their money.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:13 pm It's not their money.
Well, yeah, exactly. Why are we spending money on decorations that no one wants and will be depressingly ironic at best?

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:15 pm
Well, yeah, exactly. Why are we spending money on decorations that no one wants and will be depressingly ironic at best?
And isn't she on tape saying she hates this too?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:21 pm
She hates irony? I think that ship has sailed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:26 pm
I think it is a reasonable conclusion - she has to loathe herself at this point. She is a parody of a first lady married to a parody of President living a parody of a marriage.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:26 pm
I think it is a reasonable conclusion - she has to loathe herself at this point. She is a parody of a first lady married to a parody of President living a parody of a marriage.
I think it gives her too much credit to call the marriage a parody. I think she is full on part of this mess. What has she done to mitigate a single piece of the damage versus what has she done to exacerbate it? She is as much a shitpile as he is.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I've never had much sympathy for Melania. She may loathe Trump in private, but she has done nothing but enable him in public. And she's been an absolute joke of a First Lady. If she had a shred of actual decency, she could have embraced the role and tried to do some good with her position. Instead we got some half-hearted anti-bullying bullshit and public displays of non-affection.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:27 pm Yeah I've never had much sympathy for Melania. She may loathe Trump in private, but she has done nothing but enable him in public. And she's been an absolute joke of a First Lady. If she had a shred of actual decency, she could have embraced the role and tried to do some good with her position. Instead we got some half-hearted anti-bullying bullshit and public displays of non-affection.
Don't take my comment above to be pulling a punch from Melania. She is trash. She fits in perfectly with this garbage pile of a family. The whole anti-bullying stuff is a great example of that and will be easy pickings for future historians. The clear hypocrisy involved will pretty much write itself.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I began with sympathy but it began rapid evaporation with with the theft of Michelle Obama's speech while her husband was making his butter attacking Barrack and promising to tear down all traces of Barrack's presidency. I don't remember when it completely vanished. My instincts tell me it was when she made a nearly $200,000 tax payer funded day trip to Toronto.

There Internet tells me she made it until November 2018 before the last of my fucks were given and no more were left in the bag.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/melania- ... 2bd589a8d2
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Like a few of us were just mentioning in the investment thread... Doesn't feel right. In any event, the Dow hitting ATH is great for a small percentage of America, but it's minor news for most during the pandemic.

[Edit - Also, it's almost as through DJT hasn't made the connection to the fact that it's news that he's really, truly, for realz this time on his way out that helped spur these recent gains.]
He gave a press conference just to announce a DOW record? What an absolute bawbag.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe he thought now everyone would beg him to stay?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Douchebag is going to speak with Rudy (can fail) in PA tomorrow. PA has already certified their vote so must be a grifting of America.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:40 am El Douchebag is going to speak with Rudy (can fail) in PA tomorrow. PA has already certified their vote so must be a grifting of America.
I read several days ago that one of the PAC's, think it was Make America Great Again, which was asking for donations to fight the election results is now allocating 75% for another leadership PAC. On the surface it looks like the money is being redirected to another PAC, Save America, but the fine print states the money can be used at the discretion of the leadership PAC including personal expenses.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Looks like the Trump campaign stiffed the city of El Paso. Another state Agolf can't visit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:22 pm He gave a press conference just to announce a DOW record? What an absolute bawbag.
This "press conference" was announced on just a few minutes' notice and lasted literally one minute. He walked out, took credit for the stock market, and left the room. He took no questions.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Trump’s planned trip to PA is off after a member of the campaign tested positive.
Lives to grift another day.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote:Looks like the Trump campaign stiffed the city of El Paso. Another state Agolf can't visit.
It’s not like they have anything going on where that money might come in handy.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Insane" is one way to describe it. "Incredibly dangerous" would be another. "Deranged" would be yet another.

Even four years in, it’s insane that the president can retweet something as unhinged as this and have it barely register.
This is the "Kraken" derpspew that he's amplifying to a million brainless MAGAs.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So how does Kraken here fit in with this far-reaching conspiracy? Has he been a deep cover agent all this time?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:45 pm So how does Kraken here fit in with this far-reaching conspiracy? Has he been a deep cover agent all this time?
He probably fits in by reconsidering 'Ironrod.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here’s one for the Self-Ownage Hall of Fame:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:40 am El Douchebag is going to speak with Rudy (can fail) in PA tomorrow. PA has already certified their vote so must be a grifting of America.
Trump backed out. I won't read anything into it other than I hope it is because he is having a tantrum.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 pmTrump backed out. I won't read anything into it other than I hope it is because he is having a tantrum.
They demanded payment and/or a large non-refundable deposit up front - it's his kryptonite.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That ifea was febunked fecades ago.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:45 pm So how does Kraken here fit in with this far-reaching conspiracy? Has he been a deep cover agent all this time?
He probably fits in by reconsidering 'Ironrod.'
How does his name change from Ironrod to Kraken fit in with the timeline of the development of the Kraken cyberwarfare weapon?

We really need to put someone here on digging through the evidence here. I bet it goes ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP.
Black Lives Matter.