The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

BAM!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A self BAM! I haven't seen one of those in a while!
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:14 am A self BAM! I haven't seen one of those in a while!
I think we petition the admins to rename Isgrimnur to BAM! It's much easier to say and spell.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just when I think I can't possibly scream WTF any louder, another story emerges regarding the Trump administration:
The Trump administration is threatening to cut funding for a Middle East studies program run by the University of North Carolina and Duke University, arguing that it’s misusing a federal grant to advance “ideological priorities” and unfairly promote “the positive aspects of Islam” but not Christianity or Judaism.

An Aug. 29 letter from the U.S. Education Department orders the Duke-UNC Consortium for Middle East Studies to revise its offerings by Sept. 22 or risk losing future funding from a federal grant that’s awarded to dozens of universities to support foreign language instruction. The consortium received $235,000 from the grant last year, according to Education Department data.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm Just when I think I can't possibly scream WTF any louder, another story emerges regarding the Trump administration:
The Trump administration is threatening to cut funding for a Middle East studies program run by the University of North Carolina and Duke University, arguing that it’s misusing a federal grant to advance “ideological priorities” and unfairly promote “the positive aspects of Islam” but not Christianity or Judaism.

An Aug. 29 letter from the U.S. Education Department orders the Duke-UNC Consortium for Middle East Studies to revise its offerings by Sept. 22 or risk losing future funding from a federal grant that’s awarded to dozens of universities to support foreign language instruction. The consortium received $235,000 from the grant last year, according to Education Department data.
Can't they get on board with "Know thine enemy" or something?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:03 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm Just when I think I can't possibly scream WTF any louder, another story emerges regarding the Trump administration:

Can't they get on board with "Know thine enemy" or something?
Hey, listen Mr. ivory tower egg head professor. AMERICA GOOD ISLAM BAD. Why is that so hard to understand?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Remember when we were wondering why AG Barr was traveling the world a few weeks ago? Turns out it wasn't that important - he's just running errands to help President Trump enact personal vengeance:
Barr has been meeting with the U.S.’ closest foreign intelligence allies in recent months, making repeated overseas trips as part of an investigation he is overseeing into the origins of the Russia probe and whether any inappropriate “spying” occurred on Trump’s campaign.

As part of that investigation, Barr and John Durham, the federal prosecutor he appointed to conduct it, have been probing a conspiracy theory for which there is little if any evidence, according to several people with knowledge of the matter: that a key player in the Russia probe, a professor named Joseph Mifsud, was actually a Western intelligence asset sent to discredit the Trump campaign — and that the CIA, under Brennan, was somehow involved.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This has been relatively clear since May and as of the beginning of this month it was triggering anxiety in intelligence veterans because the inquiry is seen as 'insane' and a purely domestic issue that has no foundation in reality. It has been reported to inspire deep skepticism in our partners.

From the sidelines have to assume that foreign governments are keeping secrets to themselves that they'd ordinarily share and they must be looking at *us* with a very wary eye. They'd be insane themselves not to. They likely have great confidence in the intelligence community but have to assume the intelligence *could* make its way to Trump himself and be compromised.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:37 pm This has been relatively clear since May and as of the beginning of this month it was triggering anxiety in intelligence veterans because the inquiry is seen as 'insane' and a purely domestic issue that has no foundation in reality. It has been reported to inspire deep skepticism in our partners.

From the sidelines have to assume that foreign governments are keeping secrets to themselves that they'd ordinarily share and they must be looking at *us* with a very wary eye. They'd be insane themselves not to. They likely have great confidence in the intelligence community but have to assume the intelligence *could* make its way to Trump himself and be compromised.
One of the biggest dangers of this is the fact that Trump and his current team do not trust American intelligence agencies. Instead they are trying to rely on foreign agencies. Which is beyond insane. They could cook up whatever they want in order to manipulate Trump into getting what they want. None of it has anything to do with America's best interest. Only Trumps.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exactly. There is going to be a hell of reckoning if we get out of the other side. Our problems will still be there but only worse. This guy has been a complete and utter disaster for the United States, our allies, and large swaths of the world. We knew it'd be bad but the wreckage he is leaving is unimaginable and the international community is now preparing for a big recession that they pin almost exclusively on him. While that is a tad unfair he has upset the apple cart so greatly that you can't help but understand that they believe all the shock waves come from here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scraper wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:43 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:37 pm This has been relatively clear since May and as of the beginning of this month it was triggering anxiety in intelligence veterans because the inquiry is seen as 'insane' and a purely domestic issue that has no foundation in reality. It has been reported to inspire deep skepticism in our partners.

One of the biggest dangers of this is the fact that Trump and his current team do not trust American intelligence agencies. Instead they are trying to rely on foreign agencies. Which is beyond insane. They could cook up whatever they want in order to manipulate Trump into getting what they want. None of it has anything to do with America's best interest. Only Trumps.
Also, that Trump can't (well, won't) read, or bother to listen and learn.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The anonymous senior Trump administration official whose 2018 New York Times op-ed was called treasonous by President Donald Trump has written a new book about Trump titled "A Warning" that will be published next month, CNN has learned.

CNN has exclusively obtained a cover of the book, which has been a closely guarded secret until now and will be released November 19 by Twelve, a division of the Hachette Book Group. The author will remain anonymous, and sources familiar with the book tell CNN that "elaborate precautions have been taken to protect the author's identity."

The sources say that the publisher and the author's literary agents at Javelin were provided verification that the author is the same person who penned the Times op-ed, titled "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration," on September, 5, 2018.
When asked for comment, Matt Latimer, cofounder of Javelin, told CNN that the author was not doing it for the money.

"The Author of A WARNING refused the chance at a seven figure advance and intends to donate a substantial amount of any royalties to the White House Correspondents Association and other organizations that fight for a free press that seeks the truth," Latimer said, adding that the book "was not written by the author lightly, or for the purpose of financial enrichment. It has been written as an act of conscience and of duty."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:31 pm CNN
The anonymous senior Trump administration official whose 2018 New York Times op-ed was called treasonous by President Donald Trump has written a new book about Trump titled "A Warning" that will be published next month, CNN has learned.

CNN has exclusively obtained a cover of the book, which has been a closely guarded secret until now and will be released November 19 by Twelve, a division of the Hachette Book Group. The author will remain anonymous, and sources familiar with the book tell CNN that "elaborate precautions have been taken to protect the author's identity."

The sources say that the publisher and the author's literary agents at Javelin were provided verification that the author is the same person who penned the Times op-ed, titled "I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration," on September, 5, 2018.
When asked for comment, Matt Latimer, cofounder of Javelin, told CNN that the author was not doing it for the money.

"The Author of A WARNING refused the chance at a seven figure advance and intends to donate a substantial amount of any royalties to the White House Correspondents Association and other organizations that fight for a free press that seeks the truth," Latimer said, adding that the book "was not written by the author lightly, or for the purpose of financial enrichment. It has been written as an act of conscience and of duty."
Just in time so that a sequel for the Impeachment can be written...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's going to lose his f-ing mind on Twitter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 pm He's going to lose his f-ing mind on Twitter.
This is about the only thing I like about this. Anything that causes Trump pain gives me joy at this point. Which is fucked up but whatever. What I don't like is this anonymous shit from 'senior officials'. I don't care that they are donating the proceeds. The time to pretend that people like this hiding in the shadows are protecting us is over. It is faulty logic at best. You never understand their motives or even have a frame to evaluate their POV. Plus, this feels like some scammed up way out for the person after it all crashes down to have clean hands. Just another charlatan playing games with our Democracy.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 pm He's going to lose his f-ing mind on Twitter.
This is about the only thing I like about this. Anything that causes Trump pain gives me joy at this point. Which is fucked up but whatever. What I don't like is this anonymous shit from 'senior officials'. I don't care that they are donating the proceeds. The time to pretend that people like this hiding in the shadows are protecting us is over. It is faulty logic at best. You never understand their motives or even have a frame to evaluate their POV. Plus, this feels like some scammed up way out for the person after it all crashes down to have clean hands. Just another charlatan playing games with our Democracy.
^ This

I don't like this anonymous book writer stuff at all. Feels like a big marketing ploy, rather than a legit source of damning information (which there is already plenty of).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 am
malchior wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:56 am
^ This

I don't like this anonymous book writer stuff at all. Feels like a big marketing ploy, rather than a legit source of damning information (which there is already plenty of).
It isn't even damning information. It is stuff we know. We know he is incompetent. Tell us about actual crimes or major missteps that hasten his downfall. Otherwise shut the fuck up or better quit and say why you quit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I did hear that (per the publisher) "Anonymous" is donating most proceeds from book sales to organizations defending the rights of journalists, so that's something.

I also assume the writer's identity will be known within a week of publication.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Erm...
During an event in Pennsylvania Wednesday, President Donald Trump told the crowd that his administration is building a wall on the border of New Mexico. Then, he said one was being built in Colorado.

"We're building a wall on the border of New Mexico and we're building a wall in Colorado," Trump said. "We're building a beautiful wall, a big one that really works that you can't get over, that you can't get under," Trump said while speaking to the Marcelus Shale Coalition, a pro-natural gas production organization.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't surprise me. He already said he was above the law and could shoot and murder someone on the street of NYC and wouldn't be arrested. Let him build a wall in Canada for all I care....seems to have built one like Pink did.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wonder if he'll make it higher than the Rockies so that people can't jump off the top of a mountain to get over it...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If Clinton's tweet about the parody letter triggered you, because politicians shouldn't do things like that, then you might want to skip to the next post immediately.

The Sharpie® is a nice touch.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I long for the good old days when the biggest headline of the week was the VP misspelling "potato."
malchior

Post by malchior »

The sharpie is a nice touch. I think some mild ribbing is appropriate and fine. It was fine in the past. They risk that this will be bothsided against tweets about lynching but what the hell at this point.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This is interesting. Rasmussen has it's lowest approval rating for Trump since January of 2018.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:34 pm If Clinton's tweet about the parody letter triggered you, because politicians shouldn't do things like that, then you might want to skip to the next post immediately.

My guess here is that Trump thought that Colorado borders Mexico.
Black Lives Matter.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 am This is interesting. Rasmussen has it's lowest approval rating for Trump since January of 2018.
It'd be more intresting if it were a more precipitous decline. As it is it seems like it's within 5-7 points of its high in Jan 18.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:58 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:34 pm If Clinton's tweet about the parody letter triggered you, because politicians shouldn't do things like that, then you might want to skip to the next post immediately.

Of course that's not it. Instead, it's... it's... whatever this is.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I hope all the other states take note that they are not significant enough to receive "benefit" from the border wall.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:03 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:58 am

Of course that's not it. Instead, it's... it's... whatever this is.
I *think* he's saying that he was kind of joking about building a wall in Colorado in order to communicate to the people from Colorado and Kansas that they're going to get the benefit of border walls. Which doesn't explain why he said "we're building a wall in Colorado".

So, sticking with the "he thought that Colorado borders Mexico" explanation, though the official party line is I think that he was joking to make a point.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Every time there is evidence of brain melt or bad behavior or criminal behavior coming out of his stupid idiot mouth - it's just I'm kidding. It's such bullshit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Exactly. Maybe that's the strategy. Let him say crazy things so they can use a "he's mentally unfit for trial" defense. I really have no idea at this point. All I know is that people in PA were standing and clapping over the "We're building a wall in Colorado" comment. It boggles the mind.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:34 pm Exactly. Maybe that's the strategy. Let him say crazy things so they can use a "he's mentally unfit for trial" defense. I really have no idea at this point.
That'd be questionable as a strategy in this case, though, wouldn't it? He's mentally unfit for trial, but mentally fit to continue as President?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He's mentally unfit for a third grade curriculum.
Last edited by Jaymann on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd tell Trump to keep his day job, but....
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't seen any news on him today but can only imagine what the orange moron is taking credit for and calling great today with his tiny hand gestures. He really should go to the hospital and see about getting Giuliani 's head removed from his butt hole. I dont see how the man breaths with all those other GOPs leeches in there with him.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:37 pmThat'd be questionable as a strategy in this case, though, wouldn't it? He's mentally unfit for trial, but mentally fit to continue as President?
Have you been following everything else going on? They'd make this claim and then double-down on it. :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:37 pmThat'd be questionable as a strategy in this case, though, wouldn't it? He's mentally unfit for trial, but mentally fit to continue as President?
Have you been following everything else going on? They'd make this claim and then double-down on it. :D
True.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm I *think* he's saying that he was kind of joking about building a wall in Colorado in order to communicate to the people from Colorado and Kansas that they're going to get the benefit of border walls. Which doesn't explain why he said "we're building a wall in Colorado".

So, sticking with the "he thought that Colorado borders Mexico" explanation, though the official party line is I think that he was joking to make a point.
The best explanation I've seen is that there is some Wall® construction (replacement of existing barriers) near Yuma, Arizona, alongside the Colorado River. He was probably briefed about that and when they said "Colorado River" he just heard "Colorado." I mean, it's an easier mistake to make than being briefed on Hurricane Dorian and hearing "Alabama" when someone actually said "Bahamas." Trump's ego being what it is, he'd rather make up a bullshit story about a joke than just admit he misheard or misremembered or mispoke anything, ever.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm I *think* he's saying that he was kind of joking about building a wall in Colorado in order to communicate to the people from Colorado and Kansas that they're going to get the benefit of border walls. Which doesn't explain why he said "we're building a wall in Colorado".
It also doesn't explain why he said it to a crowd in Pennsylvania.

If the rhetoric were really "The Wall protects us all!" then he could have gone local.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.