The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by pr0ner »

I come in as obese according to BMI, and I guarantee you I am in far better shape than Trump.

My blood pressure and cholesterol levels are far better than Trump's, too.
Hodor.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I found it interesting the doctor specifically mentioned Drumpf doesn't wear dentures in his report.

I'm sure that made Drumpf feel better, but if true it does undercut the out some were giving him in that speech where he was slurring his word so much. If it wasn't due to slipping dentures, what exactly was that all about?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am
wonderpug wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am
Plus, Trump is probably not 6'3"
Someone FOIA'd his NY Drivers License and it lists 6'2". Which still seems a bit tall.
Obama is supposed to be 6'1" - the angle of the picture may give you an inch of variance, tops:

Justin Trudeau is 6'2":

...and Jeb Bush is 6'3".
Enlarge Image
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Weren't we looking for a quantifiable measure of the effects of gutting the State Dept and diplomatic corps?

A year into Donald Trump's presidency, global confidence in US leadership has fallen to a new low, according to an opinion survey conducted across 134 countries.

The Gallup poll puts global approval of US leadership at just 30%, slightly behind China on 31% and only three points ahead of Russia. Germany is now the top-rated global power in the world, with an approval rating of 41%, according to the survey.

The US rating is down nearly 20 points from the 48% approval rating in the last year of President Barack Obama's administration, Gallup said. It's also four points lower than the previous low of 34%, seen in the final year of George W. Bush's presidency.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am I found it interesting the doctor specifically mentioned Drumpf doesn't wear dentures in his report.

I'm sure that made Drumpf feel better, but if true it does undercut the out some were giving him in that speech where he was slurring his word so much. If it wasn't due to slipping dentures, what exactly was that all about?
Thought the party line was dry mouth.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am
wonderpug wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am
milo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 am BMI is designed to predict healthy weights for average, mostly sedentary individuals, not strength athletes. The BMI scale assumes a much higher percentage of body fat and a much lower muscle density than what an NFL quarterback is likely to be carrying around.
Plus, Trump is probably not 6'3"
Someone FOIA'd his NY Drivers License and it lists 6'2". Which still seems a bit tall.
I find it hard to believe Trump has ever driven, or had a need for a driver's license.

I also find his official height and weight hard to believe. I'm 6'2", and a little over 240 pounds with about 32% body fat. I'm officially obese. Trump looks to be significantly larger than I am. I'll admit, there's a lot of denial going on when I look in the mirror... but there's no way I'm fatter than Trump.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll just leave these here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm waiting for Trump's response to Stormy Daniels.

Has her full interview dropped yet? The rumor is that she declares him bad at sex. There's no way he lets that go.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm I'm waiting for Trump's response to Stormy Daniels.

Has her full interview dropped yet? The rumor is that she declares him bad at sex. There's no way he lets that go.
I read an article that was recounting the interview, so they had access to it even if it isn't available to the public yet (I don't know that it is/isn't).

She says he's bad at sex, but then expounds on it, and it basically sounds like they had typical old man sex. From what I can tell, it's not "bad" it's just generic, which isn't noteworthy, in my opinion.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Maybe she can sign off on his medical assessment. Or the next Executive Order.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remember when Trump told us that Hillary should absolutely have left Bill for cheating on her?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm Remember when Trump told us that Hillary should absolutely have left Bill for cheating on her?
Sadly, no one cares. I'm sure the faithful are applauding Trump for his choice in women. Que the misogynistic memes...

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Holman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm Remember when Trump told us that Hillary should absolutely have left Bill for cheating on her?
Yeah but she was probably allowed to leave if she wanted to.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:34 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 pm I'm waiting for Trump's response to Stormy Daniels.

I read an article that was recounting the interview, so they had access to it even if it isn't available to the public yet (I don't know that it is/isn't).

She says he's bad at sex, but then expounds on it, and it basically sounds like they had typical old man sex. From what I can tell, it's not "bad" it's just generic, which isn't noteworthy, in my opinion.
Why would it be noteworthy if he was "bad"? Personally I don't care if he is the worst or the greatest lover of all time or any thing in between. He is still a horrible human and a rotten President.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Remus, I didn't mean noteworthy to *you*. It's clearly noteworthy to someone though (good, bad, ugly) as they interviewed her, asked her related questions and now are going (have done?) publish the interview.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Non-deplorables write letters to the editor for the NY Times explaining their support of Trump. Democrats better figure out how to get these kind of middle Americans back if they want to win in 2020.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 pm Non-deplorables write letters to the editor for the NY Times explaining their support of Trump. Democrats better figure out how to get these kind of middle Americans back if they want to win in 2020.
Pay walled for me.

But what I assume is a similar concern I posted yesterday, not necessarily from Trump supporters but from "Middle America" democrats.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ana-216273

I'd start with fearing the midterms elections before fearing the 2020. I think dems get the picture but then who knows? They still seem to be the party of Pelosi and that could spell pain when it should the party of Trump should lead them to easy victories.

Of course this opinion comes from someone waiting and hoping for the GOP to implode so he can put his vote elsewhere. I have effectively been taken hostage, something I vowed I would never let happen.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Reading the first few letters, they're delusional. That's only a different kind ignorance. How does anyone get through to these people? Lie to them better than your opponent?

Plus, some of them are clearly more articulate, more cautious deplorables.

Good luck America.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dear NYT,

I support Trump for all of Obama's policies and plans that he's taken credit for, for the benefits we're seeing from changes he's made that haven't actually been implemented yet, and for all of the good stuff he said his policies will give us, regardless of whether those policies actually do that stuff. Oh, and he's got that 50s Man's Man vibe going.

Sincerely, a Non-Deplorable
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm
Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 pm Non-deplorables write letters to the editor for the NY Times explaining their support of Trump. Democrats better figure out how to get these kind of middle Americans back if they want to win in 2020.
Pay walled for me.

But what I assume is a similar concern I posted yesterday, not necessarily from Trump supporters but from "Middle America" democrats.

I'd start with fearing the midterms elections before fearing the 2020. I think dems get the picture but then who knows? They still seem to be the party of Pelosi and that could spell pain when it should the party of Trump should lead them to easy victories.

Of course this opinion comes from someone waiting and hoping for the GOP to implode so he can put his vote elsewhere. I have effectively been taken hostage, something I vowed I would never let happen.
Dems need to give up on guns, abortion, and any other non-imperative issues, highly-divisive issues. Save them for down the road. There are a ton of single issue voters that might move two two or three issues if they felt some security on issue #1.

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I was surprised to see that nearly all of those letters justified support for Trump because "Trump beat ISIS." That's a tough one to comprehend, considering that Trump was just executing the policies put in place by Obama beginning in 2015.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 pm
Pay walled for me.

Dems need to give up on guns, abortion, and any other non-imperative issues, highly-divisive issues. Save them for down the road. There are a ton of single issue voters that might move two two or three issues if they felt some security on issue #1.
Gun control is wildly popular, though, so...maybe don't give up on that issue.

In general, it's probably a bad idea to set one's policy agenda based upon a few letters to the NYT.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You don't get it. These are non-deplorables, just average joes, who like what's been going on the last year or so.

Be more like Drumpf, I guess is the take away for getting them to vote for you? Bribe Fox News to spew positive propaganda about you no matter the realities?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's not like Trump or the GOP is going to help these people though. So they've given up on Democrats. What are they going to do in 2018 when they realize Trump's policies aren't working either?

Of course I'm not the best judge of these things because I have little to no sympathy for God-fearin' gun totin' salt of the earth people of any political stripe. I think they're all delusional.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

With a few self-proclaimed exceptions, the writers of those letters seem firmly right-wing (e.g. want tax cuts, get rid of "entitlements", want conservative justices, etc). I don't think they necessarily represent "middle Americans", at least politically.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You’re a deplorable if you voted for Trump, in my book.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Of course -- Trump signed an executive order that he is 1 inch taller than Obama.

It's all about the hand size.

;)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pay walled for me.

As soon as it's obvious that they're avoiding these issues, the GOP will just push them back to the front. If they're at risk of losing the socially conservative Democrats who have voted Republican, it's easy for the Republicans to just remind them why they started switching in the first place. Plus, then the Democrats piss off their base of social liberals.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It's also worth restating that Democrats don't actually have to win over the deplorables. In the last election about 25% of the country voted for Drumpf, a few million more voted for Clinton, and the rest stayed home. All Democrats need is to energize their base (which Drumpf is doing a good job of on his own) and motivate voters who stayed home to turn out (also with help from Drumpf).

Drumpf's die hard, Fox watching, deplorable base isn't going anywhere, but there are plenty of reports of Drumpf's support weakening over time. This represents the non-deplorables who convinced themselves Drumpf wouldn't be so bad turning on him as it becomes apparent how unfit he is to be President. Those folks aren't necessarily going to vote Democrat, but staying home and not supporting Drumpf will be enough.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm
Pay walled for me.

As soon as it's obvious that they're avoiding these issues, the GOP will just push them back to the front. If they're at risk of losing the socially conservative Democrats who have voted Republican, it's easy for the Republicans to just remind them why they started switching in the first place. Plus, then the Democrats piss off their base of social liberals.
I'm not talking about legislation. I'm talking about campaigning and Sunday morning talk show rhetoric. Don't say you want to ban semi-automatic weapons or put a Planned Parenthood in every Starbucks. Write a bill to do so, if you want. Most voters don't know what their representatives do in Washington. Feel free to state your [party's] position when asked. But don't go all stupid. When Pelosi says her crazy, there are single issue voters who would cast their votes for the next 10 years right then and there if they could. And most of them aren't voting for her.

Maybe I'm just desensitized and used to crazy coming from the right but damn, the Dems have sure stepped it up the last few years.

I have a long history of hating Trump, going back to the 80s. However, that didn't prevent me from noticing the GOP-level insanity from the Dems in 2016. You know that feeling you got when Trump won? I got that feeling when it officially became a 2-horse race.

It seems like the new expectation is a complete national reimagining every 4 or 8 years. I'm more for the status quo (or was when it was a different status quo) with incremental changes.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm
Pay walled for me.

I'm not talking about legislation. I'm talking about campaigning and Sunday morning talk show rhetoric. Don't say you want to ban semi-automatic weapons or put a Planned Parenthood in every Starbucks. Write a bill to do so, if you want. Most voters don't know what their representatives do in Washington. Feel free to state your [party's] position when asked. But don't go all stupid. When Pelosi says her crazy, there are single issue voters who would cast their votes for the next 10 years right then and there if they could. And most of them aren't voting for her.

Maybe I'm just desensitized and used to crazy coming from the right but damn, the Dems have sure stepped it up the last few years.

I have a long history of hating Trump, going back to the 80s. However, that didn't prevent me from noticing the GOP-level insanity from the Dems in 2016. You know that feeling you got when Trump won? I got that feeling when it officially became a 2-horse race.

It seems like the new expectation is a complete national reimagining every 4 or 8 years. I'm more for the status quo (or was when it was a different status quo) with incremental changes.
The good news is that the GOP has become so crazy and divorced from mainstream opinion that even on divisive issues, they've left democrats plenty of room to stake out reasonable positions. Say that you want to ban assault weapons, high capacity ammo magazines, and bump stocks, which has overwhemling popular support. Don't say that you want to put a Planned Parenthood in every Starbucks, because that's a crazy thing that no one would ever actually say.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm I'm not talking about legislation. I'm talking about campaigning and Sunday morning talk show rhetoric. Don't say you want to ban semi-automatic weapons or put a Planned Parenthood in every Starbucks. Write a bill to do so, if you want. Most voters don't know what their representatives do in Washington. Feel free to state your [party's] position when asked. But don't go all stupid. When Pelosi says her crazy, there are single issue voters who would cast their votes for the next 10 years right then and there if they could. And most of them aren't voting for her.
Right but if you're trying to court the socially conservative Democrat who is pro life and anti gay marriage, the GOPer who is running just makes a point of mentioning that he is pro life and anti gay marriage, and you're at the same point. You can try to avoid the issues during campaigns, but the other side is going to go to great lengths to bring up your unpopular beliefs.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Nearly every one of those letters references the economy, ISIS, and some version of immigration. If a single one of those people could name specifics as to how the differences in Trump's policies (from Obama's) are contributing factors to success in any of those areas, I'll eat my hat.

Gotta give kudos to Fox News though. They've convinced all of them that Trump has, in a year, reversed all "bad" Obama policies and magically made everything better. Regardless of what you think about it, that's some impressive control over message.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

el Guapo wrote:The good news is that the GOP has become so crazy and divorced from mainstream opinion that even on divisive issues, they've left democrats plenty of room to stake out reasonable positions. Say that you want to ban assault weapons, high capacity ammo magazines, and bump stocks, which has overwhemling popular support. Don't say that you want to put a Planned Parenthood in every Starbucks, because that's a crazy thing that no one would ever actually say.
What is currently most popular and best selling firearm class in the US? Hint, it's what you suggested banning. Just about every person who owns legally one will vote the other way. Automatically and regardless of any other issue. That's what I'm talking about.

MYT
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/ ... 7571512332

Is this real life? WTF is going on? Are we all in a simulation?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:06 pm
el Guapo wrote:The good news is that the GOP has become so crazy and divorced from mainstream opinion that even on divisive issues, they've left democrats plenty of room to stake out reasonable positions. Say that you want to ban assault weapons, high capacity ammo magazines, and bump stocks, which has overwhemling popular support. Don't say that you want to put a Planned Parenthood in every Starbucks, because that's a crazy thing that no one would ever actually say.
What is currently most popular and best selling firearm class in the US? Hint, it's what you suggested banning. Just about every person who owns legally one will vote the other way. Automatically and regardless of any other issue. That's what I'm talking about.
80% support the ban. If the other 20% are really upset and vote the other way, I would still sign on to that 1,000%. You can't win everyone, so you want to focus on winning the majority.

Now, not every democrat has to sign on to every position. If the state that you are running in is filled with the 20%, you can oppose the ban. A candidate wants to have a few disagreements with the national party to show that they are independent-minded and whatnot.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm Are we all in a simulation?
I thought we all came to that unspoken consensus in November '16...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/ ... 7571512332

The gorilla channel was a ridiculous attempt at pointing out the absurdity of our current situation. This is allegedly a true story and it's leaps and bounds more ridiculous. I think your conclusion is likely.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/ ... 7571512332

The gorilla channel was a ridiculous attempt at pointing out the absurdity of our current situation. This is allegedly a true story and it's leaps and bounds more ridiculous. I think your conclusion is likely.

Come on, relax guys. It's not like a guy who would pay a porn star to spank him with a Forbes magazine that had his daughter on the cover would ever even dream of having a Russian hooker pee on him. Geeze, such partisan hackery around here, LOL.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell