The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by malchior »

Not to say that the Nobel committee hasn't made odd or controversial choices in the past. However, there is no chance they'll award it to someone so absent of any redeeming character. That is why the nominee makes the case to limit it to his 'achievement' but that is pretend naive posturing so they can complain when Trump isn't selected. Anyway, unless they completely lose their minds or are infiltrated - it just won't happen.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The committee isn't American. The curve of Trump's influence descends rather steeply after at our borders.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:05 pmThe curve of Trump's influence descends rather steeply after at our borders.
I agree in terms of things like the Nobel Peace Prize, but the American leader seems to have some level of influence on normalizing some behaviors abroad. It certainly feels like we've seen an uptick in right-wing authoritarian leaders in places where they might not have been a few years back. I could be mistaken or maybe I've just become sensitive to it since it started showing up in the US.

On a different note, Michael Cohen (Trump's former 'fixer' and lawyer), suspects that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Trump to try and pardon himself by resigning when he loses the election and then get Pence to wave all his crimes away.

The comedy in this would be if Pence had a sudden attack of religiosity and morals, refusing once he had the throne. It'd be in-character for the current GOP to throw Trump right under the bus once they were done with him and then stand up to claim they had purged the wicked and cleansed the office. Look how great they are, and how strong. If Trump gets completely brained in the election, taking some Red Senators with him, they'll be scrambling to patch the hull before they get dragged under. It'd be a beautiful moment.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:05 pmThe curve of Trump's influence descends rather steeply after at our borders.
I agree in terms of things like the Nobel Peace Prize, but the American leader seems to have some level of influence on normalizing some behaviors abroad. It certainly feels like we've seen an uptick in right-wing authoritarian leaders in places where they might not have been a few years back. I could be mistaken or maybe I've just become sensitive to it since it started showing up in the US.

On a different note, Michael Cohen (Trump's former 'fixer' and lawyer), suspects that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Trump to try and pardon himself by resigning when he loses the election and then get Pence to wave all his crimes away.

The comedy in this would be if Pence had a sudden attack of religiosity and morals, refusing once he had the throne. It'd be in-character for the current GOP to throw Trump right under the bus once they were done with him and then stand up to claim they had purged the wicked and cleansed the office. Look how great they are, and how strong. If Trump gets completely brained in the election, taking some Red Senators with him, they'll be scrambling to patch the hull before they get dragged under. It'd be a beautiful moment.
If it looks like Trump is losing as the election results come in, I assume that the Trump team will reach out to Biden's team and essentially offer to go quietly if Biden agrees to either pardon Trump, or to not raise a ruckus if Trump pardons himself. One question is how Biden would respond to that. I very much want justice on Trump, but at the same time if it means avoiding a hellish constitutional crisis, that would be pretty tempting.

Failing that, I think Trump would just pardon himself. Some people argue that the pardon power can't be used like that, but there's nothing clear in the text of the constitution that prohibits that, so odds are good that that would be sufficient to keep Trump out of jail.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:54 pmFailing that, I think Trump would just pardon himself. Some people argue that the pardon power can't be used like that, but there's nothing clear in the text of the constitution that prohibits that, so odds are good that that would be sufficient to keep Trump out of jail.
That sounds like it would rapidly end up in the supreme court, where they'd have to functionally decide if the president is above the law. If they can pardon themselves, no law (within the realm of their pardon power) applies to them. That'd be a sweet deal to keep on the table for both sides, right?
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Brian

Post by Brian »

I don't know. I mean, wouldn't pardoning himself be admitting guilt or wrongdoing on his part? This guy things that he is incapable of doing any wrong and that every decision he makes is the correct one so granting himself a pardon would be admitting to wrongdoing which I don't ever see him doing.

Besides, even if he does pardon himself, that's only good for Federal level crimes. He's still facing a mountain of non-Federal issues.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Brian wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:05 pm I don't know. I mean, wouldn't pardoning himself be admitting guilt or wrongdoing on his part? This guy things that he is incapable of doing any wrong and that every decision he makes is the correct one so granting himself a pardon would be admitting to wrongdoing which I don't ever see him doing.
I can easily see him doing it and saying the entire time "I didn't do anything wrong. This is a witch hunt. I'm going to prove it by pardoning myself just because I can. I'm not guilty, and I want to make sure Biden can't try to say I am. This is all Obama's fault for illegally spying on me. I'm pardoned. See? No crimes except Obama's."

He just needs his legal team to draft up a document for him to sign that covers all his asses and after that it's all ignorance and bluster.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:54 pm I assume that the Trump team will reach out to Biden's team and essentially offer to go quietly if Biden agrees to either pardon Trump, or to not raise a ruckus if Trump pardons himself.
(pauses for laughter)

Go loud; go quiet - just go. There will be no mercy, mainly because I'd trust Trump, the GOP and Mitch McConnell about as far as I can throw them (and I'm tired). F them and any deal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:11 pm Go loud; go quiet - just go.
He's the modern day Marvin K. Mooney.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I see a Photoshop + t-shirt opportunity!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Cascade of revelations this week...

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't know if it's just me, but things don't seem to be going so well for him this week. :lol: Looks like everyone that stayed quite is going to toss him under the bus at the last minute. I guess better late than never. They are really going to have to find some crazy crap to pin on Biden now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Waiting for his Supreme Court Justice wish list to drop. I can only assume Giuliani is on it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 pm I don't know if it's just me, but things don't seem to be going so well for him this week. :lol: Looks like everyone that stayed quite is going to toss him under the bus at the last minute. I guess better late than never. They are really going to have to find some crazy crap to pin on Biden now.
Or, if that doesn't work, as I've said before, Putin has plenty of Novichok poison left. And apparently he doesn't care who knows it (and in fact, probably is fine with people knowing it since it tends to put a chill on any anti-Putin shenanigans). Trump is destroying America deliciously from Putin's perspective, and he wants the chaos and divisiveness to continue obviously.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:19 pm Trump is destroying America deliciously from Putin's perspective, and he wants the chaos and divisiveness to continue obviously.
Putin definitely prefers Trump since he obviously has something on him but he'll take massive political damage as a consolation prize any day.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 pmWaiting for his Supreme Court Justice wish list to drop. I can only assume Giuliani is on it.
I was drinking when I bumped into this comment. I was a hair away from spraying my monitor with water and instead just ended up choking. Thanks.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:11 pm I don't know if it's just me, but things don't seem to be going so well for him this week. :lol: Looks like everyone that stayed quite is going to toss him under the bus at the last minute. I guess better late than never. They are really going to have to find some crazy crap to pin on Biden now.
They don't...from our perspective. The issue is whether or not any of this will move the needle on people who:
- were not planning to vote
-the so-called "undecideds" :roll:
-Bernie Bros and Gals who are pissed and are writing someone in or sitting this one out (no idea how big this contingent is)
-moderate, more old school GOP types who don't like Trump, but loathe the idea of voting for a Democrat.

Really, I think you could lump those last three into one category, since individually they may not be very significant. So non-voters, and that disaffected/disgruntled group.

Although NPR was practically jumping up and down through the radio about this news, very likely spitting into their mics, the people above either don't care about it, or for the others, it's just another Trump shenanigan of MANY. So, so many. I would bet a LOT of people are just tired of the constant, back-to-back coverage of said shenanigans, and just tune out (or maybe never even tuned in, more likely).

To me, this stuff is no worse than some of the previous garbage he's pulled. I read the headlines and immediately thought "wow, THERE'S a shocker! Unprecedented!" :P
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:30 pmUnprecedented!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

One thing that Trump has certainly accomplished during his tenure is expose the failings of the English language, particularly around expressing a departure from accepted norms. We should have 50 words for it now, like the Eskimos have for snow.
Black Lives Matter

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Whatever president had the Teflon moniker previously has sure ceded it to Trump now.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 pm Whatever president had the Teflon moniker previously has sure ceded it to Trump now.
trump's more like a gelatinous cube.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 pm Whatever president had the Teflon moniker previously has sure ceded it to Trump now.
I believe you're thinking of John Gotti, The Teflon Don, which works also.

Teflon Donald?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 pm Waiting for his Supreme Court Justice wish list to drop. I can only assume Giuliani is on it.
I don't know if this is better or worse....

Spoiler:
NEWS: Trump says Ted Cruz is on his list of judicial appointments if he's re-elected
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Name one of the most universally hated people (both parties) as a potential nominee. It's like he's trying to not get re-elected.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That seems about right. And Matt Gaetz will be a SC nominee in waiting. Hell, why not Ivanka? Just go whole hog, man! Kick Pence out and make your dog the VP.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote: I would bet a LOT of people are just tired of the constant, back-to-back coverage of said shenanigans, and just tune out (or maybe never even tuned in, more likely).
I've been thinking about this a lot, and I think we're all probably guilty of underestimating the effects of negative coverage of Trump.

I know he has a seemingly 40%-45%-ish base, but that's pretty much all he has. And maybe instead of focusing on the fact that Trump has 40% despite his flaws, maybe we should be looking at it from the other direction. That he seemingly can't figure out a way to cut into the majority that hate him. Not once, in four years.

I think the negative press has worked, and it's worked his entire term. Not because it hasn't cut into his base, but because it's kept him confined only to his base. It ushered in the Blue Wave that gave the House to the Democrats. It's working, but maybe not in the drastic, in-your-face way we want to see things.

I'm hoping it's really going to work to give him the boot this November. There's a reason Biden is up big in the polls, and that his polling has been so stable. in other words we say that while none of this matters, everything we're seeing from Biden's lead is that it absolutely does matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Teflon Donald?
Ronald Reagan was the original Teflon president.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:03 pm

Teflon Donald?
Ronald Reagan was the original Teflon president.
That's it. I was thinking maybe it was Clinton, but he was Slick Willy.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:41 pm

One thing that Trump has certainly accomplished during his tenure is expose the failings of the English language, particularly around expressing a departure from accepted norms. We should have 50 words for it now, like the Eskimos have for snow.
I don't believe you meant it that way but Eskimo is pejorative. The proper term is Inuit.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moat_Man wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 am

I don't believe you meant it that way but Eskimo is pejorative. The proper term is Inuit.
My apologies. I saw both Inuit and Eskimo in my Google search and remembered the "50 words for snow" as the latter from childhood. I was unaware.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 am Yeah I read a couple of his other posts on this topic - the argument against might end up being that he is not an "employee". That is why I've seen others think it might be a Nixon v Ferguson play saying he has absolute immunity from civil liability taken for actions taken as part of their official duties. And talking to the press is a duty of the President.
The Popehat Report posted a take that says he has a very plausible claim.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:06 am
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:08 am Yeah I read a couple of his other posts on this topic - the argument against might end up being that he is not an "employee". That is why I've seen others think it might be a Nixon v Ferguson play saying he has absolute immunity from civil liability taken for actions taken as part of their official duties. And talking to the press is a duty of the President.
I saw that. I think it makes sense legally. I also think he is exactly right where he delves into the outrage angle. People keep getting distracted away from the baseline fact that our society is trending steeply into despicable and evil because the powerful write the rules for themselves. They live and breath to make rich and powerful people unaccountable for their actions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:48 am
Moat_Man wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 am

My apologies. I saw both Inuit and Eskimo in my Google search and remembered the "50 words for snow" as the latter from childhood. I was unaware.
Well, while we're at it, they may not actually have 50 words for snow.

Spoiler:
According to NPR, the term Eskimo in and of itself is sometimes considered derogatory due to its history of usage in a racialized manner, though the Alaska Native Language Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks attributes its derivation from an Ojibwa term “to net snow.” In lieu of Eskimo, Inuit may be a more appropriate term.

The cliché that Eskimos have 100 words for snow became popularized after amateur linguist Benjamin Lee Whorf published his article titled “Science and Linguistics” in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology promotional magazine Technology Review. Whorf’s findings referenced anthropological linguist Franz Boas’ Handbook of American Indian Languages where Boas noted the differences between English and Inuit languages, specifically the distinct roots for snow in the Inuit language such as aput—“snow on the ground,” qana—”falling snow,” piqsirpoq—”drifting snow,” and qimuqsuq—”a snow drift,” whereas English uses phrases containing the root snow.

Whorf misconstrued Boas’ wonderment on the Inuit’s polysynthetic construction of words with what he believed was derived from a cultural necessity for more specific descriptors.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:13 am
I saw that. I think it makes sense legally. I also think he is exactly right where he delves into the outrage angle. People keep getting distracted away from the baseline fact that our society is trending steeply into despicable and evil because the powerful write the rules for themselves. They live and breath to make rich and powerful people unaccountable for their actions.
That's not exactly what he said. He said that the law is written such that this could happen. There is no indication that the authors envisioned this loop hole when they wrote it. Now once they are aware of it, closing it is not only boring, but they'd be ultimately making themselves more accountable - which has always been a tough ask.
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 am
malchior wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:13 am
That's not exactly what he said. He said that the law is written such that this could happen. There is no indication that the authors envisioned this loop hole when they wrote it. Now once they are aware of it, closing it is not only boring, but they'd be ultimately making themselves more accountable - which has always been a tough ask.
Ah right - I wasn't implying this was an intentional loophole. I was more thinking about the net corrosive effect of the idea that they keep finding loopholes to escape accountability.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The extension of official governmental acts to a candidate or employee’s personal affairs was a mistake. Don’t compound it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe this was just bragging...but WTF a thing to brag about. "Yeah you know that journalist we know MBS murdered? Haha. MBS got away with it because of *ME*."

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The original script for Monsters, Inc was too dark and was recycled as reality in favor of the version Pixar used.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

What's odd is that Trump gave Woodward more than a dozen unguarded interviews even after he felt burned by Woodward's 2018 book Fear, where Woodward got his scoops the exact same way. Trump even complained about it on Twitter.

Is Woodward that good, or is Trump simply that stupid, gullible, and responsive to flattery?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 pm What's odd is that Trump gave Woodward more than a dozen unguarded interviews even after he felt burned by Woodward's 2018 book Fear, where Woodward got his scoops the exact same way. Trump even complained about it on Twitter.

Is Woodward that good, or is Trump simply that stupid, gullible, and responsive to flattery?
I'd assume it's because he is incapable of resisting talking about himself. Mixed in with a healthy dose of being unable to perceive good and bad.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:19 pm What's odd is that Trump gave Woodward more than a dozen unguarded interviews even after he felt burned by Woodward's 2018 book Fear, where Woodward got his scoops the exact same way. Trump even complained about it on Twitter.

He has severe mental trauma from his childhood. Flattery is a literal drug to him and he's incapable, as is any addict deep in their throes of addiction, of resisting it.

To be honest, I'm not so sure putin 'has anything on trump' other than (at this point) mildly salacious money laundering; he just knows how to exploit trump's pathetic need for validation.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup