The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

NYT
Elizabeth, 92, who is now the world’s longest-reigning monarch, has met every president since Truman, except for Lyndon B. Johnson. The latest was President Trump, whom she received at Windsor Castle on Friday.

12/45 = 26.67%
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

ImLawBoy wrote:
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 pm The Queen needed Trump to complete her collection. How many US presidents has she met now?
Someone on the Twitter said that she has met 25% of the men who have ever served as US President. It was on Twitter, so it must be true.
And The Queen collects another sample of hair from a President, increasing her unnatural powers!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 am
Pretty sure I have made my opinion of Russia quite clear. I would be harder on them than any of you or the EU.
When will this happen? Because since Trump took office, you've been Chamberlaining like a champ.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:34 pm
Pretty sure I have made my opinion of Russia quite clear. I would be harder on them than any of you or the EU.
When will this happen? Because since Trump took office, you've been Chamberlaining like a champ.
*OH SNAP*
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Rip wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 am Pretty sure I have made my opinion of Russia quite clear. I would be harder on them than any of you or the EU.

Not much opinion on EU because EU isn't a country.
Well, there's this..
Senator Lindsay Graham: "If Russia doesn't understand that they're gonna pay a price for continuing to interfere in our elections it will be a big mistake. Because they are. And to accept their denial would be to accept fake news. The President's success or failure in this summit may be defined by how aggressive he is about Russian interference in our election. And that's been created by this unwillingness to go there.

Trump: "I have President Putin, he just said it's not Russia. I will say this: I don't see any reason why it would be. [stuff about email servers redacted] I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today, and what he did is an incredible offer. He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators... "

Trump was really hard on Russia, wasn't he?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Rip

Post by Rip »

I have never been anything but critical of Russia, I was the one screaming for us to do something when they invaded Crimea. If I recall correctly most of you guys were just like "there isn't anything we can do" and moved on. How's that working out?
Rip

Post by Rip »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:36 pm
Rip wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 am Pretty sure I have made my opinion of Russia quite clear. I would be harder on them than any of you or the EU.

Not much opinion on EU because EU isn't a country.
Well, there's this..
Senator Lindsay Graham: "If Russia doesn't understand that they're gonna pay a price for continuing to interfere in our elections it will be a big mistake. Because they are. And to accept their denial would be to accept fake news. The President's success or failure in this summit may be defined by how aggressive he is about Russian interference in our election. And that's been created by this unwillingness to go there.

Trump: "I have President Putin, he just said it's not Russia. I will say this: I don't see any reason why it would be. [stuff about email servers redacted] I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today, and what he did is an incredible offer. He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators... "

Trump was really hard on Russia, wasn't he?
I keep hearing that but to this day no one has put the check on the table. Talk is cheap, I see no action in the works that would cause Putin to do anything more than roll his eyes.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We have to be living in a simulation at this point, right? Right?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rip wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:57 pm
I have never been anything but critical of Russia, I was the one screaming for us to do something when they invaded Crimea. If I recall correctly most of you guys were just like "there isn't anything we can do" and moved on. How's that working out?
The most the West could do aside from war was what they did. Sanctions. Arming Ukraine. Supporting Ukraine. And Trump is undermining that *right now*. Trying to ignore the conversation with this 'I'm stronger on Russia' card you are trying to play is pathetic but expected from you.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Rip wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:59 pm
I keep hearing that but to this day no one has put the check on the table. Talk is cheap, I see no action in the works that would cause Putin to do anything more than roll his eyes.
He probably needs chap stick for his ass after today.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm We have to be living in a simulation at this point, right? Right?
None of it makes any sense. Until you accept the suggestion that: (1) Trump is being directly influenced by Putin and (2), the leadership plus rank and file members of the GOP are complicit so long as they're able to continue to enjoy the benefits of their current position(s). Then it all makes perfect sense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm We have to be living in a simulation at this point, right? Right?
None of it makes any sense. Until you accept the suggestion that: (1) Trump is being directly influenced by Putin and (2), the leadership plus rank and file members of the GOP are complicit so long as they're able to continue to enjoy the benefits of their current position(s). Then it all makes perfect sense.
Correct. Especially since they have to do it or leave Congress. The base of the GOP has shown that they will throw out anyone who won't kiss Trump's ring. The GOP top to bottom is a reflection of a broken electorate. And Trump is also a twisted reflection of our own worse selves. And the only way out is for Congresscritters who only crave power to give up power. All while trapped in a game where no one wants to act first on top. We are boned.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bull. Since Trump took office, you've been downplaying every proven report of Russian meddling with a shrug and a "what can you do?". Or even worse, by trying to trivialize their meddling by comparing them to things our allies have done, or by blaming the U.S. for "letting it happen".

You're practically asking Putin if you can give him a back rub and a cold drink at this point.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm Bull. Since Trump took office, you've been downplaying every proven report of Russian meddling with a shrug and a "what can you do?". Or even worse, by trying to equate their meddling with things our allies have done, or by blaming the U.S. for "letting it happen".

You're practically asking Putin if you can give him a back rub and a cold drink at this point.
I sometimes wonder if he lives in a Trump-like fantasy world where he actually buys into his own bullshit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The best explanation I've seen says that the Large Hadron Collider tipped us into an alternate timeline. Science!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm Bull. Since Trump took office, you've been downplaying every proven report of Russian meddling with a shrug and a "what can you do?". Or even worse, by trying to equate their meddling with things our allies have done, or by blaming the U.S. for "letting it happen".

I sometimes wonder if he lives in a Trump-like fantasy world where he actually buys into his own bullshit.
Yes! It’s called narcissism. He creates a false self to protect himself from low self esteem.

Oops, I thought you were talking about Trump. I don’t know Rip well enough to say he’s a narcissist. :oops:

Sorry Rip!
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:10 pm
The most the West could do aside from war was what they did. Sanctions. Arming Ukraine. Supporting Ukraine. And Trump is undermining that *right now*. Trying to ignore the conversation with this 'I'm stronger on Russia' card you are trying to play is pathetic but expected from you.
Sorry you feel disappointed. For what it is worth I am very unhappy with how Trump has dealt with Russia. I look forward to voting for people with a strong anti-Russian agenda in the midterms and with any that run for POTUS in the 2020 primaries/election. I would very much like to see Trump not make it through the primaries in 2020.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 pm
Bull. Since Trump took office, you've been downplaying every proven report of Russian meddling with a shrug and a "what can you do?". Or even worse, by trying to trivialize their meddling by comparing them to things our allies have done, or by blaming the U.S. for "letting it happen".

No I haven't. I have said very directly what we should do. Full on trade blockages from us and the EU. Military build-up. Install some missile defense systems. Start admitting some more countries into NATO. There are tons of things that could/should have been done since Crimea and before. Wasn't any political will then to do anything of substance just like there isn't now from either side. The rage only goes so far as Trump hating allows.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 pm The Queen needed Trump to complete her collection. How many US presidents has she met now?
Someone on the Twitter said that she has met 25% of the men who have ever served as US President. It was on Twitter, so it must be true.
Remarkably, it is fairly truthy:
  1. Harry Truman – October 31, 1951
  2. Dwight D. Eisenhower – October 17, 1957
  3. John F. Kennedy – June 15, 1961
  4. Richard Nixon – February 15, 1969
  5. Gerald Ford – July 17, 1976
  6. Jimmy Carter – May 7, 1977
  7. Ronald Reagan – June 7, 1982
  8. George H.W. Bush – June 1, 1989
  9. Bill Clinton – June 4, 1994
  10. George W. Bush – November 21, 2003
  11. Barack Obama – May 24, 2011
  12. Товарищ Дональд Трамп - July 13, 2018
That's actually 26.7% of all US presidents, so the tweet was a slight understatement.

Edit: Damn you Isgrimnur! <insert fist-shake here> ;P
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rip wrote:Wasn't any political will then to do anything of substance just like there isn't now from either side. The rage only goes so far as Trump hating allows.
As long as Republicans block any action, Rip doesn't care.

If the Democrats want to act, they just hate Trump so Rip doesn't care.

In other words, Rip only cares if FOX gives him instructions. #notapuppet

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm No I haven't. I have said very directly what we should do. Full on trade blockages from us and the EU. Military build-up. Install some missile defense systems. Start admitting some more countries into NATO. There are tons of things that could/should have been done since Crimea and before. Wasn't any political will then to do anything of substance just like there isn't now from either side. The rage only goes so far as Trump hating allows.
I support all of these things, though oddly enough, I agree that EU needs to pull more military weight for their part. Doesn't it seem to you this administration decreased trade sanctions, decreased military presence in the area, and has actively been seeking to sew chaos in to NATO while asking its partners to seek energy solution for Russia?

To be honest, I didn't pay enough attention until post Crimea (Late 2014?) but by all means before the election when all of the Ukraine stuff started coming to light.

I think with you stance you'd be raging the Administration like they were headed by a Clinton.

Edit; Holy Crap. Never thought I'd see this
Rip wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm I look forward to voting for people with a strong anti-Russian agenda in the midterms and with any that run for POTUS in the 2020 primaries/election. I would very much like to see Trump not make it through the primaries in 2020.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote:
Edit: Damn you Isgrimnur! <insert fist-shake here> ;P
BAM! :horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some CNN headlines and stories.......

Wow of all places Fox is anti Trump today.....
Ex-Fox News analyst unloads: Trump licked Putin's boots

Typical for President Bumbles
Trump's zero preparation, zero achievement summit

Anderson Cooper defends calling Trump's actions 'disgraceful'

At least CNN refuses to kiss Trump's skanky ass
Don Lemon questions whether Trump is fit to lead the country

How long can his war Cabinet tolerate Trump's farce?

And finally tonight we have Rand. With EVERYONE else pointing out Trump's stupidity we have Rand doing what Rand does best...act the idiot. Shame his neighbor didn't get in a few more good licks.
Rand Paul sides with Trump over US intel

I will say that I think the most thoughtful and intelligent response to Shinsplints actions came from of course Sen John McCain.
John McCain: Trump gave 'one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory'

Say what you will and this coming from a Democrat...John McCain is the only Republican I can respect or even like in DC. Shame he is sick. The other GOP members will simply brush his remarks off as the confusion of a sick man.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

McCain probably would have been a good president. It's a shame his career was Palined. I was leaning toward voting for him until that happened.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is amusing with hindsight: The Hill gets it exactly wrong.
Given Putin’s Cold War career and his behavior in office, what should we realistically expect from today’s summit? At the very least, President Trump will make it clear that his White House is not the Obama White House and that Russia’s destabilizing actions will not be met with indecision or acquiescence.
Unlike his predecessor, President Trump is a pragmatist who sees the world as it is. His is not hobbled by a default setting that sees America as the cause of the world’s ills. At the same time, he understands how the clear expression of power and success shapes relationships and can influence the behavior of bad actors. That is why he is the right man to meet with and rein in the former KGB colonel.
He sure took Putin to the woodshed! :lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 am This is amusing with hindsight: The Hill gets it exactly wrong.
Given Putin’s Cold War career and his behavior in office, what should we realistically expect from today’s summit? At the very least, President Trump will make it clear that his White House is not the Obama White House and that Russia’s destabilizing actions will not be met with indecision or acquiescence.
Unlike his predecessor, President Trump is a pragmatist who sees the world as it is. His is not hobbled by a default setting that sees America as the cause of the world’s ills. At the same time, he understands how the clear expression of power and success shapes relationships and can influence the behavior of bad actors. That is why he is the right man to meet with and rein in the former KGB colonel.
They also got it comically wrong with foresight. It's not like this should have been unexpected - Trump said stuff that he's said a million versions of already. It's just that the visuals are more clear and striking with this press conference.

So expecting Trump to be tough on Putin in the press conference was idiocy before the press conference happened.
Black Lives Matter.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

El Guapo wrote:
They also got it comically wrong with foresight. It's not like this should have been unexpected - Trump said stuff that he's said a million versions of already. It's just that the visuals are more clear and striking with this press conference.

So expecting Trump to be tough on Putin in the press conference was idiocy before the press conference happened.
This, one of the talking heads noted that every one who was "shocked" yesterday weren't paying attention the past two years. He's said all this shit before, it's his standard Russian stance. The only shocking part was Putin with his thumb physically in trump's ass while he said it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 am McCain probably would have been a good president. It's a shame his career was Palined. I was leaning toward voting for him until that happened.
Picking her was probably indicative of the moment his brain cancer started. Who knows what other off-the-wall things he might have done if elected?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 am McCain probably would have been a good president. It's a shame his career was Palined. I was leaning toward voting for him until that happened.
Picking her was probably indicative of the moment his brain cancer started. Who knows what other off-the-wall things he might have done if elected?
He needed to excite the Tea Party, and he hoped picking a woman would partly nullify Obama's charisma as a fresh choice.

It was that clumsy and that crass a selection. Postmortems of the campaign admitted that they barely even tried to vet her.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 am
Jeff V wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am
He needed to excite the Tea Party, and he hoped picking a woman would partly nullify Obama's charisma as a fresh choice.

It was that clumsy and that crass a selection. Postmortems of the campaign admitted that they barely even tried to vet her.
In McCain's partial defense, running to replace a hugely unpopular two-term incumbent of your party during a severe recession meant that he was a major underdog in that race. Adopting high variance strategies makes sense when you are a big underdog.

That said, that doesn't mean that you do so in a slapdash fashion. I'm sure he could have picked a better, more polished high risk / high reward choice.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 am This is amusing with hindsight: The Hill gets it exactly wrong.
Are we taking bets on how long it took Gorka to conclude that yesterday's ludicrously disastrous press conference was actually a clear sign of Trump's triumph over Putin?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am
Are we taking bets on how long it took Gorka to conclude that yesterday's ludicrously disastrous press conference was actually a clear sign of Trump's triumph over Putin?
Oh geez, I didn't realize that piece was by Gorka. You might as well say that the propaganda minister got it wildly wrong in his praise of the glorious leader. Getting it right is not the point.

Shame on The Hill for letting Gorka publish something there, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 am

My favorite bit was "he won't blame America." It's Mueller's fault! It's Obama's fault! Whaddabout Hillary's emails?!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No, you’re the puppet.
that the Russians have engaged in cyberattacks against the United States of America, that you encouraged espionage against our people, that you are willing to spout the Putin line, sign up for his wish list, break up NATO, do whatever he wants to do, and that you continue to get help from him, because he has a very clear favorite in this race.
So I think that this is such an unprecedented situation. We’ve never had a foreign government trying to interfere in our election. We have 17 — 17 intelligence agencies, civilian and military, who have all concluded that these espionage attacks, these cyberattacks, come from the highest levels of the Kremlin and they are designed to influence our election. I find that deeply disturbing.
Oh... My... God... I'm living in someone else's Total Recall (Take that ILB and hepcat!)
Back in reality someone is getting lobotomized while we are engaged his fantasy adventure in which he thinks he's a hero.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:50 pm Oh... My... God... I'm living in someone else's Total Recall (Take that ILB and hepcat!)
Which one of us is Kuato and which of us is the three breasted prostitute in this fever dream of yours?
He won. Period.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

It’s worse than that. We’re in the Colin Farrell version.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<hepcat sadly puts away his triple boob costume...maybe next year, he says to himself...maybe next year.>
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 am

My favorite bit was "he won't blame America." It's Mueller's fault! It's Obama's fault! Whaddabout Hillary's emails?!
The other missing piece is that when Obama found out about the election meddling in 2016, he immediately tried to work with both houses (and was shot down by McConnell, of course), and then imposed sanctions, which Trump and his team tried to dismantle so fast that they did it even before they were in office.

Now, in light of the new indictments, the Trump Administration's position is... do nothing but lick Putin's boots.

Oh, and make it even easier for the Russians to meddle in our elections (if you didn't see this the other day):
Nonprofits that spend money to influence elections but are not required to disclose donors to the public — called “dark money” groups by critics — no longer need to share their donors’ names or addresses in their tax filings under a new Treasury rule announced Monday.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:56 pm Which one of us is Kuato and which of us is the three breasted prostitute in this fever dream of yours?
It's not my dream. I'm a projection stuck in somebody else' lobotomy.

Also, back in the 80s, I had a triple boob costume and even a small wardrobe for it as my iteration of the triple breasted whore from Eroticon 6 ended up making a few appearances over the course of two years.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.