For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:46 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:38 pm
Defiant wrote:
malchior wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:16 pm The US Air force wasn't even an entity until after WW2 which featured heavy usage of aerial combat. In that context, this sounds hilariously premature.
Yeah, I'm fine with the concept of a space force military branch, but this is like forming a navy after you've swum in a kiddie pool or an air force after riding in a hot air balloon - way too premature.
I'm 99% sure that we've signed and ratified multiple treaties regarding militarization of space.
And the Pentagon has black ops of which we know nothing. It might be justified. We do know that there are Nazis on the moon.

Persons more attuned to military history will know more than I do about this, but I'm dubious about the merits of establishing another top-level chain of command that requires more coordination between quasi-independent services. But people thought having an air force was a farce, too. Plus, moon Nazis.
Why are you so quick to judge moon Nazis? I’m sure they have some very fine people too.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

I wonder how the Air Force feels about this. I'm pretty sure they already understood space (at least out to near-earth orbit) to be part of their mandate.

I would not be surprised at all to her that Trump announced this without talking to the Joint Chiefs.

Hey! Do we have an *underground* force?? I'll bet Elon Musk would look awesome in gold braid!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Can the president even create a new branch? I would have thought that required Congress.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fitzy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 am Can the president even create a new branch? I would have thought that required Congress.
It'd require Congress.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Outer Space Treaty
Among its principles, it bars states party to the treaty from placing weapons of mass destruction in Earth orbit, installing them on the Moon or any other celestial body, or otherwise stationing them in outer space. It exclusively limits the use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes and expressly prohibits their use for testing weapons of any kind, conducting military maneuvers, or establishing military bases, installations, and fortifications (Article IV). However, the Treaty does not prohibit the placement of conventional weapons in orbit and thus some highly destructive attack strategies such as kinetic bombardment are still potentially allowable.
No nukes! No bugs! Leave your chemicals here!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

At this point I'm just amazed that every single week it just gets worse. It's kind of impressive in a horrifying way. Never did I imagine that one freaking asshat could cause this much trouble. The saddest part is when I have people on fb defending kids being locked up in warehouses. I'm continually appalled at how shitty a majority of the people out there are. This is so broken that I'm not even going to be shocked when he's elected again.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh look stock market is in the negative for the year. Master deal maker is making it RAIN! :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No, it's Trump's genius when it goes up. Going down is all Obama's fault.
Octavious wrote:Oh look stock market is in the negative for the year. Master deal maker is making it RAIN! :P
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Seems about right; we certainly don’t have the moral high ground right now.

Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

For serious? Seriously if they don't get rolled in the mid-terms I'm going to be seriously depressed.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Meeting nine times is such an onerous burden.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
The United States is expected to announce Tuesday that it will withdraw from the U.N. Human Rights Council, an entity it has long accused of being biased against Israel and giving a platform to rights-abusing governments, according to rights advocates with contacts in the Trump administration.
Bwahaha!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:11 pm Politico
The United States is expected to announce Tuesday that it will withdraw from the U.N. Human Rights Council, an entity it has long accused of being biased against Israel and giving a platform to rights-abusing governments, according to rights advocates with contacts in the Trump administration.
Bwahaha!
They're not wrong about the U.N. Human Rights Council, really. But still seems dumb to withdraw from it.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, I know they're not wrong, but complaining about the human rights record of member states is especially rich this week.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:39 pm No, it's Trump's genius when it goes up. Going down is all Obama's fault.
Octavious wrote:Oh look stock market is in the negative for the year. Master deal maker is making it RAIN! :P
Actually he it the cause and only solution when it goes up and it's not healthy to be overinflated when it goes down.

Kind like how we need to weaken the dollar for international trade before setting selective offsetting tariffs for international trade.

It's also kinda amazing that the market is down on the year after so many buybacks.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/20/investi ... index.html

How can the market be down if a $178 billion dollar boon was handed to it?

No walking contradiction

Jan 20, 2018 05:31:27 PM Unprecedented success for our Country, in so many ways, since the Election. Record Stock Market, Strong on Military, Crime, Borders, & ISIS, Judicial Strength & Numbers, Lowest Unemployment for Women & ALL, Massive Tax Cuts, end of Individual Mandate - and so much more. Big 2018!

Feb 7, 2018 09:59:49 AM In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!

Jun 11, 2018 04:52:36 PM Stock Market up almost 40% since the Election, with 7 Trillion Dollars of U.S. value built throughout the economy. Lowest unemployment rate in many decades, with Black & Hispanic unemployment lowest in History, and Female unemployment lowest in 21 years. Highest confidence ever!
The stock market could have been up 60%, but I have to do things, I can’t let other countries take advantage of us. The country is doing much better than the stock market.
-April 30 2018
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We know that 'reasonable' is not a word he puts any stock in, so he's going to keep it up until the economy overheats, or makes the wrong move and tanks it. I'd ask if anyone cares to take bets, but given that's where everyone's retirement is, it seems like poor form.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:48 pm I'd ask if anyone cares to take bets, but given that's where everyone's retirement is, it seems like poor form.
Not me baby, I am all in with Chinchillas!
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tao wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:48 pm I'd ask if anyone cares to take bets, but given that's where everyone's retirement is, it seems like poor form.
Not me baby, I am all in with Chinchillas!
I do not want to be downwind of your operations.
Tao

Post by Tao »

The smell is bearable, it's the shaving that is tough, not to mention finding tiny little electric shears.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:39 pm
No walking contradiction

Jan 20, 2018 05:31:27 PM Unprecedented success for our Country, in so many ways, since the Election. Record Stock Market, Strong on Military, Crime, Borders, & ISIS, Judicial Strength & Numbers, Lowest Unemployment for Women & ALL, Massive Tax Cuts, end of Individual Mandate - and so much more. Big 2018!

Feb 7, 2018 09:59:49 AM In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!

Jun 11, 2018 04:52:36 PM Stock Market up almost 40% since the Election, with 7 Trillion Dollars of U.S. value built throughout the economy. Lowest unemployment rate in many decades, with Black & Hispanic unemployment lowest in History, and Female unemployment lowest in 21 years. Highest confidence ever!
The stock market could have been up 60%, but I have to do things, I can’t let other countries take advantage of us. The country is doing much better than the stock market.
-April 30 2018
Waiting for the claim that the stock market is rigged. FAKE STOCKS!!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sometimes you see a crazy propaganda picture and you just have to trace it. Thinking. Nope. Can't be real. Must be hysteria. I'm so sick of propaganda.

Kessler<>Stewart<>DJT<>"good people on both sides"

No. No reason to bring up Nazi's with this president, somehow because Bush (which I'm still trying to figure out)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Jun 13, 2018 04:55:31 AM Congratulations to Corey Stewart for his great victory for Senator from Virginia. Now he runs against a total stiff, Tim Kaine, who is weak on crime and borders, and wants to raise your taxes through the roof. Don’t underestimate Corey, a major chance of winning!

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/stewart-i-wa ... -was-trump
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:39 pm
No walking contradiction

-April 30 2018
Waiting for the claim that the stock market is rigged. FAKE STOCKS!!
Not rigged. He's doing things! He has to do things! He has to protect our unprecedented success from other countries taking advantage of decades of unfair trade by creating a stock market showing 20% less value than the worth of its companies that is not an indicator of how great our country is doing and a weak dollar so... so... that's where he loses me.

My only conclusion is that so "foreign interests can buy US corporations at a 20% discount and get a premiums on that discount due to the strength of their own currency allowing them to evade the tariffs being put in place though domestic ownership on the multinational front." I can't make sense of it any other way. Only the president's authority to levy tariffs is based on national security. So, maybe we hurt Russia?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1GE1C0

Maybe we protect American Steel makers with no ill effects?

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-to-retal ... 04910.html

Just. No.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm Sometimes you see a crazy propaganda picture and you just have to trace it. Thinking. Nope. Can't be real. Must be hysteria. I'm so sick of propaganda.

Kessler<>Stewart<>DJT<>"good people on both sides"

No. No reason to bring up Nazi's with this president, somehow because Bush (which I'm still trying to figure out)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Jun 13, 2018 04:55:31 AM Congratulations to Corey Stewart for his great victory for Senator from Virginia. Now he runs against a total stiff, Tim Kaine, who is weak on crime and borders, and wants to raise your taxes through the roof. Don’t underestimate Corey, a major chance of winning!

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/stewart-i-wa ... -was-trump
Yeah, but you're a dirty liberal, so you'd call ANYONE a racist neo-Confederate alt-right fascist bigot authoritarian.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:10 pm Yeah, but you're a dirty liberal, so you'd call ANYONE a racist neo-Confederate alt-right fascist bigot authoritarian.
If you only knew how I longed to be conservative with a few weird outlier progressive notions of what it means to live 1st world 21st century. :( I got all my friggen retirement eggs in a retirement basket that is founded on conservative responsibility and retirement is all I have to look forward to in life.

But 1 not this way. 2 I don't trust the watch. At every opportunity to prove me wrong they give me cause to grow my distrust. If I were a smarter man, I'd pull all my money and put it in to CDs. The last time I said that was in 2007. I don't want to be right again and do nothing again. And yet...
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

That's one way to get rid of the Dept of Education...
The White House will recommend merging the Departments of Education and Labor as part of an overall reorganization of the federal government, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

The proposed merger, which is expected to be unveiled Thursday morning, would mark a significant step toward the Trump administration's goal of decreasing the federal workforce.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Someone took Rmn9's ideas regarding education to heart I see.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maybe Kim told Trump that labor camps are the best way to re-educate people.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 am Maybe Kim told Trump that labor camps are the best way to re-educate people.
:clap:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Enough

Post by Enough »

gilraen wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 pm That's one way to get rid of the Dept of Education...
The White House will recommend merging the Departments of Education and Labor as part of an overall reorganization of the federal government, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

The proposed merger, which is expected to be unveiled Thursday morning, would mark a significant step toward the Trump administration's goal of decreasing the federal workforce.
MADA: Make America Dumbasses Again.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I mean, Republicans can look at the demographics as well as anyone... their base by a fair margin is non-college educated whites, men in particular, so why not do your best to make sure they never learn the critical thinking skills necessary to see through propaganda?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

milo

Post by milo »

No, but they are *trolling* you.
--milo
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

milo wrote:No, but they are *trolling* you.
There's trolling and then there's simply being a piece of shit.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 pm
milo wrote:No, but they are *trolling* you.
There's trolling and then there's simply being a piece of shit.
She married trump. I don't imagine she's possessed of a whole lot of moral fiber...
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 pm There's trolling and then there's simply being a piece of shit.
NYT won't let me see, but because this is out of the immigration thread and in the general observations thread, I will say I don't agree.

It is my guess, she did not consult her husband on her wardrobe and she was in fact making a statement to the media and people OUTRAGED over her wardrobe. The same media who judged her for wearing stilettos to get on a plane the last time she visited Texas to better understand the need for humanitarian action, even tough she wore sneakers when she got off the plane, much like she wasn't wearing that jacket when she got off the plane.

If my guess is correct she had horrible judgement, and was reacting to feeling trapped and lashing out in the way fashionista knows how, not acting as a piece of shit.

And by hating on her and by changing the narrative to she wore this stuff to meet with separated families here, social media, and the news, we gave Trump the opportunity to be right about Fake News while concurrently allowing the GOP to benefit from our changing the focus away from our countries travesties to judge the impact of a value statement of a jacket worn to get on a plane and then worn again later at the end of the day to get off a plane in front of paparazzi disguised as news.

That's embarrassing for everybody.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Surprisingly, I don't agree. Wearing a sign explicitly telling everyone how much you don't care while heading out to meet folks separated from their families is a piece of shit move taken only by those without a moral fiber in their being. Full stop. What she may or may not have intended the jacket to do isn't really relevant, as it takes a very unintelligent person to misread the optics on this one.

This does not give any opportunity to DJT to be right about 'Fake News.' Where do you even get that idea? This is an accurate story that folks are rightfully outraged about. The GOP will call it out as fake/librul snowflakedness, just as they would any other story that isn't flattering to their agenda. Big fuckin' deal.

This 'story' is embarrassing to FLOTUS, DJT, and those who support them. It's simply sad and outrageous to those with common sense.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is a woman that wore a pussy-bow blouse to one of Trump's debates, after Trump's infamous Billy Bush tapes were aired for all to hear. I don't believe for a second her wardrobe selections are accidental or meaningless. I don't pretend to understand exactly what she's trying to convey (is she being ironic? is she trolling? is she crying out for help?), but anyone brushing this off as a meaningless coincidence hasn't been paying attention.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

She's also a model. Her fashion choices are intentional.

It's just not clear if her messages are to Trump or the public.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, especially at this point she'd have to be an idiot to not realize that wearing that jacket would cause a blow up. She doesn't seem like an idiot, though I guess I can't rule out incompetence here. As to why she did it....much harder to say.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am This does not give any opportunity to DJT to be right about 'Fake News.' Where do you even get that idea? This is an accurate story that folks are rightfully outraged about.
What FLOTUS is wearing to get on a plane should dominate a news cycle and turn the whole travesty of what is happening along the border into a discussion about paparazzi pictures over what she could be seen wearing for a minute or two?
That it was initially reported that she was wearing it to gathering she attended isn't fake news?
That social media, and our own OO are conflating getting on a plane with attendance isn't fake news?

That the stories that attack her choices all leave out that her choice in fashion for getting on a plane was attacked the last time she visited Texas for humanitarian purposes and that media has been making fun of her trying to stay away from media probably because they are critical of everything she does.

I don't accept any of this beyond it was bad judgement on her part.

OO quotes

The one that started this from Twitter: "Mrs. Trump wore a jacket to visit border kids"
"Why the hell else would she be wearing a coat, in Texas, in late June?" (Later retracted)
"Trump's tweet smacks of sweaty improvisation. "Sure my wife visited a humanitarian crisis in her I DON'T GIVE A SHIT t-shirt, but that was about hating the media!""

You don't have to agree but calling her a piece of shit over this seem uncharacteristic for you. Or maybe it's the baggage I carry. If I call someone a piece of shit that pretty much says I can have no empathy for them. I simply see no way out for them as human being. No context for redemption. Her husband, the majority of his children, McConnell, Ryan. All pieces of shit. Nunez, Piece of shit. DeVos piece of shit. Melenia was gold digger with a child who is in way over her head and seems to make a lot bad decisions when it comes to the public she tries to avoid. Everything beyond that is speculation. Her husband deserves no benefit of the doubt. She deserves suspicion for staying with him. I'm not so certain about disdain though.