The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Combustible Lemur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Defiant wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Kind of funny how much shit Maddow seems to be taking about it today. Two hours in advance she tweeted out what she had (Trump's 1040 from 2005), so it's not like she dramatically overhyped this really. People seem to be mad at her because this makes Trump look (relatively) good, and because there's no bombshell in there like everyone wanted there to be. But this is still definitely newsworthy - was she supposed to not report on this?
A lot of the shit I'm seeing is more focused on the actual show itself than on the promotion. She apparently had a very lengthy intro then a commercial break before providing any details about 20 minutes into the show. By that time, others had already leaked the info and determined that there really wasn't much there.
From what I've seen (the occasional episode), I think that's normal for her show. I think they shouldn't have hyped it at all if they realized that there was nothing substantial in it.
This, that's her regular format. She even mentioned a minute or so in that the biggest part of her story was that someone apparently has easy access to the tax returns.
But she gets in her own way when she gets riled up in partisan fervor.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Enough

Post by Enough »

A federal judge in Hawaii has frozen President Trump’s new executive order temporarily barring the issuance of new visas to citizens of six-Muslim majority countries and suspending the admission of new refugees.

U.S. District Judge Derrick K. Watson froze the order nationwide.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Enough wrote:
A federal judge in Hawaii has frozen President Trump’s new executive order temporarily barring the issuance of new visas to citizens of six-Muslim majority countries and suspending the admission of new refugees.

U.S. District Judge Derrick K. Watson froze the order nationwide.
Oh thank Jeebus - I'm scheduled to fly tomorrow and I was dreading having to fight through protesters and whatnot at the airport.
Holman

Post by Holman »

George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt. They must be so fucking proud.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:
George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt. They must be so fucking proud.
Darwin was wrong.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've changed my mind. He's definitely mentally ill.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Not sure everyone appreciates what a piece of shit Huckabee is. Here he is urging the President to ignore a lawful court order, AND the precedent he cites is what President Jackson supposedly said before ignoring a SCOTUS opinion and thereafter committing ethnic cleansing against native tribes.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

That would be stupid.

This is a judicial fight in which he will be heavily favored.

Almost a slam dunk.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya he's been killing it so far with the courts. :lol: Sounds like he's going to release the wiretapping evidence right after he's out of the routine audit process.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rip

Post by Rip »

Octavious wrote:Ya he's been killing it so far with the courts. :lol: Sounds like he's going to release the wiretapping evidence right after he's out of the routine audit process.
How well he has been doing or not isn't relevant. The law and precedent is pretty clear.

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015a- ... d7f9b30000
The Executive Order of January 27, 2017, suspending the entry of certain
aliens, was authorized by statute, and presidents have frequently exercised that
authority through executive orders and presidential proclamations. Whatever we,
as individuals, may feel about the President or the Executive Order,1
the
President’s decision was well within the powers of the presidency, and “[t]he
wisdom of the policy choices made by [the President] is not a matter for our
consideration.” Sale v. Haitian Ctrs. Council, Inc., 509 U.S. 155, 165 (1993).
This is not to say that presidential immigration policy concerning the entry of
aliens at the border is immune from judicial review, only that our review is limited
by Kleindienst v. Mandel, 408 U.S. 753 (1972)—and the panel held that limitation
inapplicable. I dissent from our failure to correct the panel’s manifest error.
I
In this section I provide background on the source of Congress’s and the
President’s authority to exclude aliens, the Executive Order at issue here, and the
proceedings in this case. The informed reader may proceed directly to Part II.
A
“The exclusion of aliens is a fundamental act of sovereignty.” United States
ex rel. Knauff v. Shaughnessy, 338 U.S. 537, 542 (1950); see also Landon v.
Plasencia, 459 U.S. 21, 32 (1982). Congress has the principal power to control the
nation’s borders, a power that follows naturally from its power “[t]o establish an
uniform rule of Naturalization,” U.S. Const. art. I, § 8, cl. 4, and from its authority
to “regulate Commerce with foreign Nations,” id. art. I, § 8, cl. 3, and to “declare
War,” id. art. I, § 8, cl. 11. See Am. Ins. Ass’n v. Garamendi, 539 U.S. 396, 414
(2003); Harisiades v. Shaughnessy, 342 U.S. 580, 588–89 (1952) (“[A]ny policy
toward aliens is vitally and intricately interwoven with contemporaneous policies
in regard to the conduct of foreign relations [and] the war power . . . .”). The
(3 of 29)
President likewise has some constitutional claim to regulate the entry of aliens into
the United States. “Although the source of the President’s power to act in foreign
affairs does not enjoy any textual detail, the historical gloss on the ‘executive
Power’ vested in Article II of the Constitution has recognized the President’s ‘vast
share of responsibility for the conduct of our foreign relations.’” Garamendi, 539
U.S. at 414 (quoting Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer, 343 U.S. 579,
610–11 (1952) (Frankfurter, J., concurring)). The foreign policy powers of the
presidency derive from the President’s role as “Commander in Chief,” U.S. Const.
art. II, § 2, cl. 1, his right to “receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers,” id.
art. II, § 3, and his general duty to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed,”
id. See Garamendi, 539 U.S. at 414. The “power of exclusion of aliens is also
inherent in the executive.” Knauff, 338 U.S. at 543.
In the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, Congress exercised its
authority to prescribe the terms on which aliens may be admitted to the United
States, the conditions on which they may remain within our borders, and the
requirements for becoming naturalized U.S. citizens. 8 U.S.C. § 1101 et seq.
Congress also delegated authority to the President to suspend the entry of “any
class of aliens” as he deems appropriate:
Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any
(4 of 29)
class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the
interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such
period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or
any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the
entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.
Thens Part II really shreds.
It is
indeed an “uncontroversial principle” that courts must defer to the political
judgment of the President and Congress in matters of immigration policy. The
Supreme Court has said so, plainly and often. See, e.g., Mathews v. Diaz, 426 U.S.
67, 81 (1976) (“[T]he responsibility for regulating the relationship between the
United States and our alien visitors has been committed to the political branches of
the Federal Government.”); Harisiades, 342 U.S. at 590 (“[N]othing in the
structure of our Government or the text of our Constitution would warrant judicial
review by standards which would require us to equate our political judgment with
(10 of 29)
that of Congress.”); Shaughnessy v. United States ex rel. Mezei, 345 U.S. 206, 210
(1953) (“Courts have long recognized the power to expel or exclude aliens as a
fundamental sovereign attribute exercised by the Government’s political
departments largely immune from judicial control.”); Henderson v. Mayor of N.Y.,
92 U.S. (2 Otto) 259, 270–71 (1876). On the other hand, it seems equally
fundamental that the judicial branch is a critical backstop to defend the rights of
individuals against the excesses of the political branches. See INS v. Chadha, 462
U.S. 919, 941 (1983) (reviewing Congress’s use of power over aliens to ensure that
“the exercise of that authority does not offend some other constitutional
restriction” (quoting Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1, 132 (1976))).
I'd suggest reading the entire thing. A real page turner.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Rip wrote: On the other hand, it seems equally
fundamental that the judicial branch is a critical backstop to defend the rights of
individuals against the excesses of the political branches. See INS v. Chadha, 462
U.S. 919, 941 (1983) (reviewing Congress’s use of power over aliens to ensure that
I'd suggest reading the entire thing. A real page turner.[/quote]
The premise in the Hawaii case is that Trump hss overtly and consistently tied his current bill to his overall goal to ban Muslims which would be the First constitutional restriction? So while yes, presidents have broad immigration powers, they still can't write unconstitutional executive orders.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Rip wrote: On the other hand, it seems equally
I'd suggest reading the entire thing. A real page turner.
The premise in the Hawaii case is that Trump hss overtly and consistently tied his current bill to his overall goal to ban Muslims which would be the First constitutional restriction? So while yes, presidents have broad immigration powers, they still can't write unconstitutional executive orders.[/quote]
Even if we have questions about the basis for the President’s ultimate
findings—whether it was a “Muslim ban” or something else—we do not get to
peek behind the curtain. So long as there is one “facially legitimate and bona fide”
reason for the President’s actions, our inquiry is at an end
. As the Court explained
in Reno v. American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, 525 U.S. 471 (1999):
The Executive should not have to disclose its “real” reasons for
deeming nationals of a particular country a special threat—or indeed
for simply wishing to antagonize a particular foreign country by
focusing on that country’s nationals—and even it if did disclose them
a court would be ill equipped to determine their authenticity and
utterly unable to assess their adequacy.
Id. at 491; see Mezei, 345 U.S. at 210–12; Knauff, 338 U.S. at 543.
The panel faulted the government for not coming forward in support of the
Executive Order with evidence—including “classified information.” Washington,
847 F.3d at 1168 & nn.7–8. First, that is precisely what the Court has told us we
(23 of 29)
should not do. Once the facial legitimacy is established, we may not “look behind
the exercise of that discretion.” Fiallo, 430 U.S. at 795–96 (quoting Mandel, 408
U.S. at 770). The government may provide more details “when it sees fit” or if
Congress “requir[es] it to do so,” but we may not require it. Din, 135 S. Ct. at
2141 (Kennedy, J., concurring in the judgment). Second, that we have the capacity
to hold the confidences of the executive’s secrets does not give us the right to
examine them, even under the most careful conditions. As Justice Kennedy wrote
in Din, “in light of the national security concerns the terrorism bar addresses[,] . . .
even if . . . sensitive facts could be reviewed by courts in camera, the dangers and
difficulties of handling such delicate security material further counsel against
requiring disclosure.” Id.; see Chi. & S. Air Lines v. Waterman S.S. Corp., 333
U.S. 103, 111 (1948) (“It would be intolerable that courts, without the relevant
information, should review and perhaps nullify actions of the Executive taken on
information properly held secret. Nor can courts sit in camera in order to be taken
into executive confidences.”). When we apply the correct standard of review, the
President does not have to come forward with supporting documentation to explain
the basis for the Executive Order.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The court isn't looking behind the curtain -- the ugliness was exposed in full view by Giuliani.

What is the "legitimate and facially non-prejudicial basis" Trump can defend this regurgitated turd of an Executive Order? Apparently Sessions still has to actually come up with something that passes the bullshit test.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Not sure everyone appreciates what a piece of shit Huckabee is. Here he is urging the President to ignore a lawful court order, AND the precedent he cites is what President Jackson supposedly said before ignoring a SCOTUS opinion and thereafter committing ethnic cleansing against native tribes.
No points for Huck staying on-message?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rip wrote:
Even if we have questions about the basis for the President’s ultimate
findings—whether it was a “Muslim ban” or something else—we do not get to
peek behind the curtain. So long as there is one “facially legitimate and bona fide”
reason for the President’s actions, our inquiry is at an end
. As the Court explained
in Reno v. American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, 525 U.S. 471 (1999):
The Executive should not have to disclose its “real” reasons for
deeming nationals of a particular country a special threat—or indeed
for simply wishing to antagonize a particular foreign country by
focusing on that country’s nationals—and even it if did disclose them
a court would be ill equipped to determine their authenticity and
utterly unable to assess their adequacy.
Id. at 491; see Mezei, 345 U.S. at 210–12; Knauff, 338 U.S. at 543.
The panel faulted the government for not coming forward in support of the
Executive Order with evidence—including “classified information.” Washington,
847 F.3d at 1168 & nn.7–8. First, that is precisely what the Court has told us we
(23 of 29)
should not do. Once the facial legitimacy is established, we may not “look behind
the exercise of that discretion.” Fiallo, 430 U.S. at 795–96 (quoting Mandel, 408
U.S. at 770). The government may provide more details “when it sees fit” or if
Congress “requir[es] it to do so,” but we may not require it. Din, 135 S. Ct. at
2141 (Kennedy, J., concurring in the judgment).
That bolded section should chill our bones. Even if we know they are abusing power, as long as it looks good at first glance then move on. Awesome. Words to live by. Anyway it doesn't matter because it is isn't secret that it is an abuse of power. This is not the same as the case cited. The President campaigned on banning Muslims. He talked about it openly at press conferences. Turns out public pronouncements have an effect on the outcome of court cases. Who would have thunk it?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zarathud wrote:The court isn't looking behind the curtain -- the ugliness was exposed in full view by Giuliani.

What is the "legitimate and facially non-prejudicial basis" Trump can defend this regurgitated turd of an Executive Order? Apparently Sessions still has to actually come up with something that passes the bullshit test.
Stephen Miller doubled down on the ugliness yesterday, too.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Miller is 70 percent forehead.
He won. Period.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

On one hand I'm enjoying this crazy ride to insanity but on the other hand I'm a bit scared of the long term effects it'll have on everyone...
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote:Miller is 70 percent forehead.
Didn't he get exiled to Venus?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Vorret wrote:On one hand I'm enjoying this crazy ride to insanity but on the other hand I'm a bit scared of the long term effects it'll have on everyone...
You mean like having to send someone out to get a new water chip?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I know Maddow's been burned for hyping the 2005 tax returns like something grand. This other report should overshadow that from a couple days ago. I didn't see this covered in headlines, maybe I wasn't watching.

Basically, on Friday, Trump ordered 46 AG's across the nation fired. In itself, a relatively normal move. However, most presidents have a plan and people they want there and give them notice. One shining point in this mess is the AG for New York, who has been involved in investigations around big business in the globe that potentially involves Trump's (and family) business dealings. For some reason, when he was told to resign, he refused and made them fire him. This bought him 24 hours. The question is: Why did he stall, and if he has something on Trump, was he able to salvage it before leaving.

So Trump cans 46 AG's out of the blue, and the one that might be investigating his business dealings refuses to go on his own.

Added bonus: There's a massive deal underway between a shell company that China uses to buy property and a Jared Kushner owned property that will net Kushner hundreds of millions - and the only people who can disapprove that sale are all of Trump's hand-picked cabinet members.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote:For some reason, when he was told to resign, he refused and made them fire him. This bought him 24 hours. The question is: Why did he stall, and if he has something on Trump, was he able to salvage it before leaving.
He likely refused because Trump personally told him he'd stay on at a meeting in Trump Tower. It was a widely praised move. Then Trump made a highly unusual and unethical call to the US Attorney's office in NY last week. Only days before the sudden firing occurred. Bharara declined to call him back in consultation with the AG's office. In the face of the President not keeping his word Bharara declined to resign and asked to be fired. Personally I don't think it was to buy time, it was probably mostly out of principle.
So Trump cans 46 AG's out of the blue, and the one that might be investigating his business dealings refuses to go on his own.
While an interesting angle - I don't think it'd kill an investigation. If a new US Attorney comes in and kills an investigation I'd expect that someone in that office is gonna spring a leak really quick.
Added bonus: There's a massive deal underway between a shell company that China uses to buy property and a Jared Kushner owned property that will net Kushner hundreds of millions - and the only people who can disapprove that sale are all of Trump's hand-picked cabinet members.
Yup - still Jared has divested himself - moreso than his FIL has at least. But it does raise questions for sure.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The New York AG refused to resign because he said that Trump promised him he could keep his job, so his feelings were hurt.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote:The New York AG refused to resign because he said that Trump promised him he could keep his job, so his feelings were hurt.
I read some snark in here. :)

Bharara's mistake was expecting Trump to have integrity. He should have certainly known better.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

ImLawBoy wrote:The New York AG refused to resign because he said that Trump promised him he could keep his job, so his feelings were hurt.
This.

The AG issue is a nothing issue. People want it to be something but really it just isn't. I'm actually surprised about the big deal the media made about it. Making a big deal of a pretty standard procedure (replacing AGs with their own) only feeds Trump's "biased media" and "fake news" agenda. If the media keeps biting and then grasping they are going to contribute to their own demise. Despite their dislike of trump they need to try and stay as neutral as possible or they indeed will lose more credibility.

Honestly CNN has been less non partisan since trump was elected which is only helping his narrative and is undermining having a free press. They are contributing to their own issues now. Much the same as Maddow managed to do this week. Come on media, stop playing into his trap.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If Trump were simply calling him before the firing to let him know he couldn't keep his promise, that's one thing. But if he was calling in an attempt to influence an investigation, that's intriguing. Hopefully the truth will come out...either the unexciting, boring one; or the scandalous, wee wee hookers exciting one.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
This.

The AG issue is a nothing issue. People want it to be something but really it just isn't. I'm actually surprised about the big deal the media made about it. Making a big deal of a pretty standard procedure (replacing AGs with their own) only feeds Trump's "biased media" and "fake news" agenda. If the media keeps biting and then grasping they are going to contribute to their own demise. Despite their dislike of trump they need to try and stay as neutral as possible or they indeed will lose more credibility.
Frankly I don't understand this. Meaning this was a *very minor* stand about integrity. The President's integrity, Most of the reporting on this explicitly said it was normal to fire US Attorney's and that the only things that were unusual was the *PLEDGE TO KEEP HIM ON*, the call to Bharara last week which was unusual, and the fact that they didn't have any transition plans in place. IMO it is a reflection on people like yourself that see that reporting as partisan. It wasn't in most cases and that comes from someone *very hard* on the press. They did a reasonable job explaining this one if you were willing to listen to the context.
Chrisoc13

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Chrisoc13 »

malchior wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
This.

Frankly I don't understand this. Meaning this was a *very minor* stand about integrity. The President's integrity, Most of the reporting on this explicitly said it was normal to fire US Attorney's and that the only things that were unusual was the *PLEDGE TO KEEP HIM ON*, the call to Bharara last week which was unusual, and the fact that they didn't have any transition plans in place. IMO it is a reflection on people like yourself that see that reporting as partisan. It wasn't in most cases and that comes from someone *very hard* on the press. They did a reasonable job explaining this one if you were willing to listen to the context.
OK. I'm very opposed to Trump's presidency. So... I'm glad it's a reflection of "people like me" that see it as partisan. I have stopped checking CNN because half of their pieces seem to be then grasping at straws frequently after trump. They are seeming much more partisan. And that isn't because of trump. It's because of them.

Now I get most of my news from BBC and straight from the ap. I guess that makes me partisan and part of the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
malchior wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
This.

OK. I'm very opposed to Trump's presidency. So... I'm glad it's a reflection of "people like me" that see it as partisan. I have stopped checking CNN because half of their pieces seem to be then grasping at straws frequently after trump. They are seeming much more partisan. And that isn't because of trump. It's because of them.

Now I get most of my news from BBC and straight from the ap. I guess that makes me partisan and part of the problem.
Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt here. Still it's great you read the BBC. You still managed to not get the context right at all.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Can we stop saying AGs? :)

AG = Attorney General, which in this case would be a State post and not a federal post, thus not subject to Presidential appointment (or firing).

The 46 that were asked to resign were US Attorneys.

As a whole, this was something of a non-story in the sense that it's normal to ask for (and receive) the resignations of the US Attorneys. They are political appointments. And while it's true that Preet Bharara holds jurisdiction over Trump Tower and most dealings of TrumpOrg, that doesn't necessarily mean that shenanigans are afoot.

He would be asked to resign regardless (outside of an apparent pledge to not ask him to resign).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

RunningMn9 wrote:Can we stop saying AGs? :)

AG = Attorney General, which in this case would be a State post and not a federal post, thus not subject to Presidential appointment (or firing).

As a whole, this was something of a non-story in the sense that it's normal to ask for (and receive) the resignations of the US Attorneys. They are political appointments. And while it's true that Preet Bharara holds jurisdiction over Trump Tower and most dealings of TrumpOrg, that doesn't necessarily mean that shenanigans are afoot.

He would be asked to resign regardless (outside of an apparent pledge to not ask him to resign).
That's all I'm saying. It's a non-story that has been attempted to be turned into a story. At one point CNN has an article about how trump has made a powerful enemy and what a mistake that was. No way around it that smells like bias.

Plenty of real trump stories to go around. No need to find non stories.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

malchior wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
malchior wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
This.

Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt here. Still it's great you read the BBC. You still managed to not get the context right at all.
What patronizing garbage this post is. Sorry to step on your toes. I'll be done responding to you and bow out of R&P again.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Chrisoc13 wrote:That's all I'm saying. It's a non-story that has been attempted to be turned into a story. At one point CNN has an article about how trump has made a powerful enemy and what a mistake that was. No way around it that smells like bias.

Plenty of real trump stories to go around. No need to find non stories.
I agree in principle, with the caveat that he indeed may have made an enemy out of Bharara. Whether anyone cares about that, or whether that constitutes a "powerful" enemy, I have no idea.
Make up bags of change
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Asking for and accepting resignations is normal. Doing so without having people lined up to fill the positions, not so much (this applies to this administration's transition across the board, not just with regard to the US Attorney purge). The disdain for continuity has Bannon's fingerprints all over it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Indeed. It should be AsG.

(Waiting to see if anyone gets it...)
malchior

Post by malchior »

What patronizing garbage this post is. Sorry to step on your toes. I'll be done responding to you and bow out of R&P again.
I agree. My tone was all wrong. Mea culpa. Ill admit i was irked and responded inappropriately. To me the original sounded awfully judgmental with incomplete facts. The coverage in the NY Times and WaPo put it in good context IMO. It was indeed overblown including the reaction to Bharara who has shown great integrity with some minor issues for years. I also don't get how the President showing a lack of integrity isnt news.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Re:

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defiant wrote:
Indeed. It should be AsG.

(Waiting to see if anyone gets it...)
Attorneys General.

Attorney Generals work for JAG.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Max Peck wrote:Asking for and accepting resignations is normal. Doing so without having people lined up to fill the positions, not so much (this applies to this administration's transition across the board, not just with regard to the US Attorney purge). The disdain for continuity has Bannon's fingerprints all over it.
That's also normal. The positions are normally filled with interim appts by the USAG.
Make up bags of change
malchior

Post by malchior »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Max Peck wrote:Asking for and accepting resignations is normal. Doing so without having people lined up to fill the positions, not so much (this applies to this administration's transition across the board, not just with regard to the US Attorney purge). The disdain for continuity has Bannon's fingerprints all over it.
That's also normal. The positions are normally filled with interim appts by the USAG.
Sure but in an orderly fashion. Much of the discussion over the weekend pointed out how disorderly this particular transition was handled. And how it correlates with the amateurish actions we've seen from this administration.