The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:36 am There may even be some liability involved if people see it, believe them, then show up with their defenses lowered and end up dead.
That's why they have the liability waivers.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:35 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:41 am How many of the monuments that have been taken down are Federal property? I'm sure a few, but it seems like most of the ones I've heard about have been state property.
It seems every time I turn around the statues are on local municipal property but actually owned by private interest (Daughters of the Confederacy or whatever they're called, etc...)

A lot of them get federal funds for upkeep.
Then

A) The federal government should be using their weight to protect them

and

B) The federal government should stop funding their upkeep and the need for them to protect monuments to bigot appeasement. That's below pork.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I get federal funds for upkeep. It doesn't make me federal property.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:40 pm Oh, we weren't flawless. We were deeply flawed. Trump came along and took advantage of as many of those flaws as he could to benefit himself, and in the process turned those cracks into canyons. But no, the cracks were already there. We were already headed toward disaster. Trump just took a slow, subtle process and accelerated it. Hopefully quickly enough that enough people will see the cracks and be able to repair them before we're left with ruins.
USA is low voter turnout, high levels of nimby, massive partisan bickering, way too much kardashian duck dynasty real housewives, supremely underfunded schools and teachers, mind numbingly high levels of gun violence, and residual racism.

He is the president we deserve. I just hope we only need to learn this lesson once.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:47 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:40 pm Oh, we weren't flawless. We were deeply flawed. Trump came along and took advantage of as many of those flaws as he could to benefit himself, and in the process turned those cracks into canyons. But no, the cracks were already there. We were already headed toward disaster. Trump just took a slow, subtle process and accelerated it. Hopefully quickly enough that enough people will see the cracks and be able to repair them before we're left with ruins.
USA is low voter turnout, high levels of nimby, massive partisan bickering, way too much kardashian duck dynasty real housewives, supremely underfunded schools and teachers, mind numbingly high levels of gun violence, and residual racism.

He is the president we deserve. I just hope we only need to learn this lesson once.
If we're able to use this as our wake-up call and address these issues once and for all, then Trump may actually have helped the nation by making these flaws so visible. The alternative might have been to slowly evolve into this over a period of decades. Frog, boiling water. If we win and spend the next four years stigginit to the Rs instead, we're done.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am I get federal funds for upkeep. It doesn't make me federal property.
Actually, it does. Which means, as a federal employee, that I get to order you around. That's just the law, I'm afraid.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:47 amHe is the president we deserve. I just hope we only need to learn this lesson once.
I've said it elsewhere - Carl Sagan predicted this in The Demon Haunted World (1995):
“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:52 am
Jaymon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:47 amHe is the president we deserve. I just hope we only need to learn this lesson once.
I've said it elsewhere - Carl Sagan predicted this in The Demon Haunted World (1995):
“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”
I wonder what he would say to news being reduces 280 characters or less or an average of 57 words or less.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Where I disagree with Sagan is that this stuff is necessarily getting worse. I mean, in the 19th century there was a Know Nothing party that got a congressman elected who became speaker of the House.

Though I'm not sure that "we've always been incredibly stupid and ignorant" is a comfort.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

em2nought wrote:Just like your party did with Abraham Lincoln the last time youse guys were so pissed off that somebody was trying to move people up and off the democrat plantation? :ninja:
I understand the pedantic nature of your argument, but the entire strength of the modern Republican Party is the conservative southern block that formerly resided in the Democratic Party. Like, you know that. You know that this Republican Party is very much the party of Jefferson Davis, and not Lincoln.

Can even a shred of you be honest about that?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't read Demon Haunted World in years so I didn't remember the quote, but damn.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, Damn.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:29 pm
The Meal wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:04 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:49 pm What in the world are you guys gonna do if Trump wins in 5 months?
Is OO only made up of stimpy and "you guys"?
My comment was towards those that are active in this thread and are blatantly and whole-heartedly repulsed and disgusted by everything Trump and blame him for single handedly bringing our once great and flawless country to it's knees in just short of 4 years. Was just curious how they would stop their heads from exploding should their worst fear come to fruition.
stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 pm I love the attention, guys, I really, really do.
But my vanity only goes so far before I feel the need to remind you that this thread isn't about me or my beliefs or experiences.
If you must continue to make it about me, please go right ahead.
But just know it's starting to get a wee bit embarrassing to know my life and opinions matter that much to you guys.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 pm Where I disagree with Sagan is that this stuff is necessarily getting worse. I mean, in the 19th century there was a Know Nothing party that got a congressman elected who became speaker of the House.

Though I'm not sure that "we've always been incredibly stupid and ignorant" is a comfort.
The "Know Nothing" party wasn't called that because they celebrated ignorance. It was because they were secretive and were instructed to say "I know nothing" if questioned about the party.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:55 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 pm Where I disagree with Sagan is that this stuff is necessarily getting worse. I mean, in the 19th century there was a Know Nothing party that got a congressman elected who became speaker of the House.

The "Know Nothing" party wasn't called that because they celebrated ignorance. It was because they were secretive and were instructed to say "I know nothing" if questioned about the party.
I understand that that was the origin of their name, but they were a nativist party that celebrated ignorance (at least, to the extent that anyone celebrates ignorance - e.g., Trump does in effect but doesn't literally say "ignorance is good").
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

em2nought wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:25 am
GungHo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:54 am
stimpy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:49 pm What in the world are you guys gonna do if Trump wins in 5 months?
Hope there is a true patriot out there who saves us all.
Just like your party did with Abraham Lincoln the last time youse guys were so pissed off that somebody was trying to move people up and off the democrat plantation? :ninja:
You are a drive by troll and nothing more. When anyone engages you on any point you make, you retreat into silence and say nothing. I have no doubt that you will do the same here when challenged on this point.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you the National Anthem of Octopus Overlards:

Everyone sing!!!!
You're welcome.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:31 am I haven't passed judgement on any of you.
Say what you want. Do what you want. Feel what you want.
:roll:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:43 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:31 am I haven't passed judgement on any of you.
Say what you want. Do what you want. Feel what you want.
:roll:
Man....that is so last night.
Let it go, buddy.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I thought you liked being quoted.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fear the combover!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:46 pm I thought you liked being quoted.
Only when it proves that I said something that someone thought I said when I never said what they thought I said therefore they can't quote the thing they thought I said because I never said that thing which can be quoted by the someone who thought I said it to quote it. Got it?.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What d'ya think we are? Sherlock Gnomes?
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:53 pm What d'ya think we are? Sherlock Gnomes?
BAM. Another payment!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you the National Anthem of Octopus Overlards:

Everyone sing!!!!
You're welcome.
Well shit, that settles it. stimpy can't possibly be a racist now.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:13 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you the National Anthem of Octopus Overlards:

Everyone sing!!!!
You're welcome.
Well shit, that settles it. stimpy can't possibly be a racist now.
Wait, Flav's back in the band now!?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Desperate times and all that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

When was that made? They had their spat back in March. Which seems like years ago but wasn't.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

'twas a hoax.
It turns out Public Enemy, Enemy Radio, Chuck D and Flavor Flav never had a falling out, and hypeman Flav was never fired.

That’s in contrast to messages the band was putting out at the beginning of March, when the longtime collaborators were fighting it out in public on social media, against the background of who was or wasn’t endorsing Sen. Bernie Sanders for president.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 pm When was that made? They had their spat back in March. Which seems like years ago but wasn't.
Released on Juneteenth 2020
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good lord - this administration is beyond ridiculous.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:46 pm Good lord - this administration is beyond ridiculous.

Well, they're going to love lunch.

Enlarge Image

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. He's spamming his own Twitter now with WANTED fliers for people defacing statues. From yesterday, this is great.

Suspect #12 is totally Mike Pence.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Fully ripe for a photoshop.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

In the first few seconds of this video retweeted by Trump, two MAGAs share a clear, loud shout of “White Power!”

EDIT: Trump deleted the retweet, but it was up for hours. Dog-whistle accomplished.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was probably this that set him off:

I thought we were at least a few more weeks away from the President tweeting “White Power,” but I guess that’s what happens when you get caught letting Putin kill our soldiers.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I wouldn't put it past Trump to attempt to kick off a series of riots/attacks by right wing militia types. If he thinks he's going to lose the election he might feel like he has nothing to lose. If he goads them into doing something maybe he thinks the in the ensuing turmoil he can be the hero by ordering them to stand down. In theory they would stand down because they'd be told this will help him get re-elected. This will make him look effective for once. Ordinarily I would consider this idea too crazy to mention but this IS 2020 isn't it? The time for crazy ideas is now.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know it may sound crazy, but I honestly feel like Trump has lost his will to fight. He acts more like a defeated whipped puppy than a cornered wolverine right now. His attacks on Biden have been anemic at best, and aside from his typical Twitter ramblings that everyone ignores, he's not going on the offensive anywhere. And this really started even before his flop of a rally - that rally contained almost no second term plans or ideas.

The one thing about bullies is that when they're finally given a taste of their own medicine, they usually back down. Trump's been hit with multiple punches that he has no answer for, and he's responded not with fight but with sticking his head in the sand and going to play golf.

I'm not saying his campaign and cronies won't put up a scrap before November. But if things remain as they are now, or God forbid get even worse, I can see him just rolling over and letting Biden run away with this thing. At this point, I'm predicting the fears of Trump refusing to leave office, or destroying everything in an effort to win in November, are unfounded.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If he refuses to leave office, I'm sure the military will totally back him up. :roll:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter