The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Captain Caveman

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Captain Caveman »

Are we allowed to call this what it is yet?

"unless you act very quickly" is pretty damn ominous. Wonder how long until he proposes a solution?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's right, though. You almost can't get a good curry or kebab anymore, for all the damned KFCs and gastropubs that have taken over London.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, wait. By 15 years, maybe he meant 1,500 years? MEGA?

Gildas records a "final" victory of the Britons at the Battle of Mount Badon in c. 500, and this might mark a point at which Anglo-Saxon migration was temporarily stemmed.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Senator Graham is asking for my opinion.
1. Do you support or oppose Judge Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump's nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court?
Support
Oppose
Undecided

2. Do you support or oppose calls to abolish ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement)?
Support
Oppose
Undecided

3. Do you support or oppose a plan pending before Congress that would 1) fully fund construction of the border wall and 2) allow people who entered the country illegally as children to obtain citizenship?
Support
Oppose
Undecided
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Has he stopped hitting his wife?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't know where this goes, so I'll stick it here. A couple hundred...thousand show up in the UK to protest Trump
Jeremy Corbyn joined anti-Trump protesters as they took over central London with more than 250,000 people taking to the streets.

Police told MailOnline four people have been arrested at the demonstration as they urged members of the public to stay away from Trafalgar Square as the area reached full capacity.

Scuffles broke out near Whitehall earlier today as tempers flared between pro-Trump supporters and campaigners.

A spokesman for the Met said so far four people had been arrested for common assault and attacking a police officer.
My favorite sign from those pictures: "What's that Trump? We don't speak dickhead here."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 am He's right, though. You almost can't get a good curry or kebab anymore, for all the damned KFCs and gastropubs that have taken over London.
We just got back from Athens and Vienna. We could have had kebab for every meal, at a different restaurant, without breaking a sweat sprinting to the places and I can’t sprint without sweating (probably can’t sprint period). If I ever see another kebab it will be too soon.

More relevant, we were in Athens because my wife was consulting with a group that works to integrate refugee women and children into Greek society. The taxi drivers were not happy to take her and probably wouldn’t have had we not waved a cash tip. An African American colleague and his wife could not get a taxi for an over an hour at the Athens airport. Drivers would pull away when they saw them.

And, I hadn’t heard this before, they are intercepting refugee boats and taking the refugees to an island. There’s a big tent city there and the refugees are happy to stay because it’s better than where they came from. :(

The trip changed my perspective of Europe from one of semi-embarassment that they are more civilized, to fuck their pretend superiority.

On the other hand, the ruins of Athens and the cathedrals and palaces of Vienna were amazing. And their metro systems were awesome.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People suck. People have always sucked. And they will continue to suck. Borders don’t affect that.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 am He's right, though. You almost can't get a good curry or kebab anymore, for all the damned KFCs and gastropubs that have taken over London.
We just got back from Athens and Vienna. We could have had kebab for every meal, at a different restaurant, without breaking a sweat sprinting to the places and I can’t sprint without sweating (probably can’t sprint period). If I ever see another kebab it will be too soon.
He means on the streets of the UK. Drumpf doesn't care about the EU, he's at war with the EU. He wants the UK out of the EU so they are easier pickin's for Putin (I'm totally serious here. They have their own Russia-related scandals going on).

Lawbeef's point is that the UK is already extremely multicultural as evidenced by their streetfare. Which is interesting, since they also breed some of the most racist (white) people I've ever witnessed. Other races are racist there too, but they're just trying to fit in. :wink:

The truth is there is racism enough for everyone. Greece just had their economy collapse remember, that does not make for a happy, smiley feeling, even when tourist dollars are on the line. Italy has shut it's doors to any new refugees, turning boats away in the hopes that they become someone else's problem. Spain *seems* to be doing alright and are still taking in refugees, but I may just have missed the headlines. Poland is about to go full Germany 1939 politically, so that's scary as shit. France, which I've always considered one of the most openly racist cultures in Europe are somehow managing to do ok despite the everyman racism. Politically I think they staying above water. Still, they bulldozed an entire refugee shanty town that sprung up near the English/French connection a few years ago, and that was heinously callous. Callously heinous? Bad, I guess is the meaning I'm going for here.

Europe is not even remotely close to a unified, contiguous culture, so it should not come as a surprise that you find awful people being awful to other people who might also be awful in their own ways. I say that as someone that barely leaves his commute route so I have little practical experience.

I think places like America (slavery) and Germany (nazism) have worked extremely hard to turn around the wrongs they've done in the past and this is reflected in a lot of racism being camouflaged and culturally shamed into the shadows. Canada is hardcore politically correct and the fact that we're 85% white doesn't hurt. Who are we going to be racist to? The French? We're prejudiced against them, they're not a race. :wink:

Places like Italy or Greece, which seem to have deeply seated masculine/misogynist cultures feel that it's their right to hate anyone that's different than them as well. I find the idea of Greeks turning away American dollars because they hate whoever to be particularly hilarious in its self destructiveness. It wasn't that long ago that an American dollar was like treasure in that economy. If it wasn't for Germany they would have collapsed. Of course it was Germany putting pressure on them to pay their bills which also almost caused a collapse, but still. :D
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:44 pm
Fitzy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm
He means on the streets of the UK. Drumpf doesn't care about the EU, he's at war with the EU. He wants the UK out of the EU so they are easier pickin's for Putin (I'm totally serious here. They have their own Russia-related scandals going on).

Lawbeef's point is that the UK is already extremely multicultural as evidenced by their streetfare. Which is interesting, since they also breed some of the most racist (white) people I've ever witnessed. Other races are racist there too, but they're just trying to fit in. :wink:
I just saw the opportunity to go on a kebab rant :wink:

But yeah, Isgrimnur is right and you are, people suck. People are racist. We need an alien invasion to bring us together so space alien speciesism overtakes human racism. At least that’s what I learned from playing Stellaris.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My far too long winded response was supposed to say that because Greece is geographically isolated and never had an atrocity that cause society-wide shame (correct me if I'm wrong please), the loudly misogynist culture has no problem being bigoted and racist without shame as well.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can't help but notice that the hip new royals who will being taking over any day now are nowhere to be seen.

That said, I was sure the Queen was a no-go as well, so...progress for Drumpf?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:02 pm My far too long winded response was supposed to say that because Greece is geographically isolated and never had an atrocity that cause society-wide shame (correct me if I'm wrong please), the loudly misogynist culture has no problem being bigoted and racist without shame as well.
I didn’t even see the “long winded” version somehow. :lol: I think I’m going blind.

But I have nothing to contradict it. I do like your theory that the US and Germany with major atrocities are more aware of trying to avoid another. Though... Trump. :evil:

The people my wife worked with were good people. Our final taxi driver made fun of Trump and Republicans. He asked us why republicans liked to start wars. He’d fit in well here. :D

But there was a lot of overt racism on display. And I felt horrible for my wife’s colleague. Due to a canceled flight they’d been flown from Copenhagen to Oslo to catch a connection to Athens. A 12 hour journey took 26. They arrive in Athens exhausted with two other colleagues who they graciously let take the first cab saying they’ll grab the next. And then get stuck for an hour. Racism sucks.

I did see a lot of historical conflict with Asia Minor, Persia, and that area going back 3000 years. Combined with an attitude of you have to be born Greek to be Greek I could see how they got there. Doesn’t excuse it, but might begin to explain it.

We were not there long enough to say. Just small observations.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 pm I can't help but notice that the hip new royals who will being taking over any day now are nowhere to be seen.

Prince Charles is neither hip nor new. :coffee:

I was surprised that a "working visit" included a photo-op with any Royals, let alone the Queen. One hopes that Prime Minister May didn't need to squander too much political capital in order to set that up.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Queen needed Trump to complete her collection. How many US presidents has she met now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 pm I can't help but notice that the hip new royals who will being taking over any day now are nowhere to be seen.

I thought he officially called "not it" and is no longer in line?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 pm That said, I was sure the Queen was a no-go as well, so...progress for Drumpf?
Nope. Just he and Melania were faster.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

:doh:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 pm

I thought he officially called "not it" and is no longer in line?
Nope, he is still next at bat so far as I (and the Internet) know.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 am :doh:

MAGA types were quick to point out "But she fell behind him!!," thus blaming a 92-year-old woman for not keeping pace.

Also, that disturbance in The Force you feel is generations of London tailors crying out at his unbuttoned jacket.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It’s been interesting to watch the Red Hats toss up #notmyqueen and #1776 hash tags this morning in response to the criticism.

Setting aside all politics and titles, that’s not how any decent man (ANY man) treats a 92 year old woman (ANY woman).

But since we already know that Trump isn’t a decent man, none of it should be a surprise.

And no, in the grand acheme of things this behavior doesn’t change anything and doesn’t really matter. It’s simply another small example to throw on the absolute mountain of evidence that our President is truly an awful human being.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am It’s been interesting to watch the Red Hats toss up #notmyqueen and #1776 hash tags this morning in response to the criticism.

Setting aside all politics and titles, that’s not how any decent man (ANY man) treats a 92 year old woman (ANY woman).

But since we already know that Trump isn’t a decent man, none of it should be a surprise.

And no, in the grand acheme of things this behavior doesn’t change anything and doesn’t really matter. It’s simply another small example to throw on the absolute mountain of evidence that our President is truly an awful human being.
That's a bit over the top. If you watch the clip starting back a bit, he clearly doesn't know what she's asking him to do. He's a buffoon for not knowing protocol, but he clearly didn't do it with any ill intent or out of a superiority complex.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f29PbgbmK ... p;start=57
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am It’s been interesting to watch the Red Hats toss up #notmyqueen and #1776 hash tags this morning in response to the criticism.

That's a bit over the top. If you watch the clip starting back a bit, he clearly doesn't know what she's asking him to do. He's a buffoon for not knowing protocol, but he clearly didn't do it with any ill intent or out of a superiority complex.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f29PbgbmK ... p;start=57
While I still think he handled that poorly and rather disrespectfully, your point is well taken. Thanks for the additional context.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I believe I am the supreme drumpf hater here on OO, having been at it for decades and can still maintain a white hot fevered pitch. With that mantel, I don't find this particular faux pas heinous. A little dumb and and little unsure of himself and what he's supposed to do, maybe, but as far as drumpf goes, I don't see any malice here. In fact you can practically smell his desperate hope, need and stress "not to mess up" with the Queen.

I give him mostly a pass on this just because he's a clueless moron, just not a malicious clueless moron (in this particular case).
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You know with five minutes prep, he probably would've known what to do. But he doesn't need no prep, so he winds up looking like an oaf. That isn't the end of the world, or even important, except that it's a problem that cuts across everything he does. Stuff like this is minor, stuff like refusing to prep before major international meetings is actually dangerous.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can't disagree with you there. Hilarious statements from him about his NK meeting prep.

We have plenty of leaked evidence that his handles are in constant panic trying to get him to do anything that will help keep him from being a moron, so we can assume that's true.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At this point if Britain came over to take the US back Id support them over Trump. He is such a piece of shit in every way.He is all "me me me mememememe" and to me he is all "turd turd turdmoronturd turd turd moron moronicturdmoron"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm I believe I am the supreme drumpf hater here on OO, having been at it for decades and can still maintain a white hot fevered pitch. With that mantel, I don't find this particular faux pas heinous. A little dumb and and little unsure of himself and what he's supposed to do, maybe, but as far as drumpf goes, I don't see any malice here. In fact you can practically smell his desperate hope, need and stress "not to mess up" with the Queen.

I give him mostly a pass on this just because he's a clueless moron, just not a malicious clueless moron (in this particular case).
The spin I've seen on it elsewhere is that he needed the Queen to explain to him how to walk properly.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:23 am Also, that disturbance in The Force you feel is generations of London tailors crying out at his unbuttoned jacket.
Did I say "unbuttoned jacket"?

I also meant "that loose-flapping sack of navy-blue wool-blend he calls a suit."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm I believe I am the supreme drumpf hater here on OO,
I'm not sure that's true, you'e just more articulate than Daehawk. :wink:
Last edited by Alefroth on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He is a fine edged scalpel and I am a blunt object.

We should team up and smack and poke the jerk.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 pm I believe I am the supreme drumpf hater here on OO,
I'm not sure that's true, you'e just more articulate than Daehawk.
Agreed.
I admire and more or less entirelty agree with GreenGoo's posts on Drumpf... I only hang back on my assesment because I feel unhinged in my ability to communicate my sorrow and rejection of this foul creature....

Not only do I lack the articulateness of Alefroth, Daehawk, or GreenGoo - I'm also totally derailed by the idea that any substantial amount of people would defend such an obvious con. (Confidence Scam, Rip) To think that our county is filled with enough people to be scammed by Trump and his obvious Russian backing... How do people like Rip seriously defend Trump and his behavior toward Russia.

H O W ?

Please Rip, give me some perspective here. What side are you on. Why do you openly mock the EU - and (just like Trump) support Russia? How do you justify it?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 pm He is a fine edged scalpel and I am a blunt object.

We should team up and smack and poke the jerk.
Blunt Away !!!
it's not like there isn't PLENTY of room for protest that is also unhinged and unrefined. Trump sucks at every single station of thought... he is trying to completely undermine the world's most impressive gains.
We could equally be Mexico, Britain, Belgiam, Turkey... - he is just trying to play us... to me his presidency seems like a oligarthy play for dominence. We reject or comply to our condemnation.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

By walking in front of her, it was a sign that he was not going to grab her by the pussy.

HONESTLY - She was a fucking idiot for giving him the photo-op. What a disgrace to 'her Monarchy'. TOTAL wreck, and it is entirely On Her. What On EARTH did she thing would become of this. What a ROYAL mistake.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ask not what your country can do for your queen, ask your queen what she can do for your country.

That's basically it. Between, her handlers and the May government, I'm sure it was decided to take one for the team in the hopes that it might help relations. While Drumpf is a random, broken rodeo clown, the Queen has decades of geopolitical experience (as tgb implied). It was a conscious decision. Sure it likely had some pretty potentially explosive downsides, but if there's a chance at an up side, she was willing to do what it took.

Joke's on her though. Drumpf has no upsides.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Alefroth wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 pm
I'm not sure that's true, you'e just more articulate than Daehawk.
Agreed.
I admire and more or less entirelty agree with GreenGoo's posts on Drumpf... I only hang back on my assesment because I feel unhinged in my ability to communicate my sorrow and rejection of this foul creature....

Not only do I lack the articulateness of Alefroth, Daehawk, or GreenGoo - I'm also totally derailed by the idea that any substantial amount of people would defend such an obvious con. (Confidence Scam, Rip) To think that our county is filled with enough people to be scammed by Trump and his obvious Russian backing... How do people like Rip seriously defend Trump and his behavior toward Russia.

H O W ?

Please Rip, give me some perspective here. What side are you on. Why do you openly mock the EU - and (just like Trump) support Russia? How do you justify it?
Pretty sure I have made my opinion of Russia quite clear. I would be harder on them than any of you or the EU.

Not much opinion on EU because EU isn't a country.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 pm Ask not what your country can do for your queen, ask your queen what she can do for your country.

That's basically it. Between, her handlers and the May government, I'm sure it was decided to take one for the team in the hopes that it might help relations. While Drumpf is a random, broken rodeo clown, the Queen has decades of geopolitical experience (as tgb implied). It was a conscious decision. Sure it likely had some pretty potentially explosive downsides, but if there's a chance at an up side, she was willing to do what it took.

Joke's on her though. Drumpf has no upsides.
The Times: Prince Charles and Prince William Refused to Meet Trump.

It's paywalled, but the upshot is that they took advantage of the fact that it was not a formal state visit to avoid contact. They wanted nothing to do with him.

Good for them. If Trump is going to go around offending and attacking our allies, he deserves at least a solid British snubbing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 pm The Queen needed Trump to complete her collection. How many US presidents has she met now?
Someone on the Twitter said that she has met 25% of the men who have ever served as US President. It was on Twitter, so it must be true.
That's my purse! I don't know you!