The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Remus West

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Remus West »

Fitzy wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm Id sooner kiss the Queen's wrinkly butt than shake Trump's hand.
I would shake hands with Trump and call him the greatest ever president before I bow to any monarch.
Pfft. The British monarchy is no longer that kind of thing. Hell, the way idiot orange behaves we are closer to it than they. That said, they aren't too far removed from being the international joke we now are. Don't forget Brexit.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Remus West wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:49 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm Id sooner kiss the Queen's wrinkly butt than shake Trump's hand.
I would shake hands with Trump and call him the greatest ever president before I bow to any monarch.
Pfft. The British monarchy is no longer that kind of thing. Hell, the way idiot orange behaves we are closer to it than they. That said, they aren't too far removed from being the international joke we now are. Don't forget Brexit.
I'm not sure any country is clean right now. We just get a lot of attention.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Or dump a lot of tea! They hate when you do that!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sometimes when he just gets talking to his friends from Fox he actually tells the truth...

link
Trump wrote:Hey, [Kim Jong Un] is the head of a country and I mean he is the strong head. Don’t let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.
Later he dismissed the comment as "sarcasm," but it sure doesn't come off like that in the moment.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I sometimes wonder if Trump wishes he could strap people who oppose him to a fence and fire at them with anti-aircraft guns. These are the people our President envies...
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have a hare enough time accepting that you are my president on a daily basis. But I am not your people. RESIST. (But I do sit up and pay attention. I pay attention like I never have before in my life)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I can't take the Democrat seriously as #RESIST! When given the opportunity to pull power back from Trump they vote no. It's true it would have diminished the executive branch's power to regulate and returned it to Congress (where I think it belongs). But if I'm supposed to think Republicans are horrible and only Democrats can save us, but the Democrats refuse when given the chance to make a small change, why should I think the Democrats will improve the country if returned to power?

A pox on both parties!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am I have a hare enough time accepting that you are my president on a daily basis. But I am not your people. RESIST. (But I do sit up and pay attention. I pay attention like I never have before in my life)
Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

getting on two year of that now and I thinking it's taking a toll on my already poor health.

I am a snowflake.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watching this string of absolute lies and bullshit without a single goddamn person calling him on it drives me insane. From this morning's impromptu press conference.
1.) Trump says he wants “his people” to treat him the same way North Koreans treat dictator Kim Jong-un.

“He’s the head of the country — and he’s the strong head, don’t let anyone think anything different,” Trump said during an interview with Fox News’ Steve Doocy. “He speaks and his people sit up in attention. I want my people to do the same.”

2.) Trump says he’s kissing up to Kim because he doesn’t want him to nuke the United States. When asked by a reporter why he praised Kim so much despite his atrocious human rights record, Trump said, “I don’t want to see a nuclear weapon destroy you and your family.”

3.) Trump lies about Democrats being responsible for his own administration’s policy of separating children from their families at the United States border. “Democrats forced that law on the nation,” Trump falsely claimed.
And my favorite:
7.) Blames Obama for “giving away” Crimea — and refuses to blame Russian President Vladimir Putin for illegally annexing it. Trump blamed his predecessor for Russia’s decision to annex Crimea from Ukraine, and he reiterated his call for Russia to be invited back to the G7.
This shit is exhausting.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 am A pox on both parties!
They're equally bad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am getting on two year of that now and I thinking it's taking a toll on my already poor health.

I am a snowflake.
I've spoken to several people that are having mental health issues based on the current reality in the US, some American, some Canadian. Including myself. Given that, any time ANY soldier claims PTSD about anything, I am inclined to believe it.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:10 am Watching this string of absolute lies and bullshit without a single goddamn person calling him on it drives me insane. From this morning's impromptu press conference.

2.) Trump says he’s kissing up to Kim because he doesn’t want him to nuke the United States. When asked by a reporter why he praised Kim so much despite his atrocious human rights record, Trump said, “I don’t want to see a nuclear weapon destroy you and your family.”

So he's appeasing the murderous dictator of a nation that can't nuke the US and declaring trade war on nation that can? There's not even internal consistency in his mounds of BS.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am
Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 am A pox on both parties!
They're equally bad!
No. They’re both bad. Not equally so.

If I have to choose between getting run over by a semi or a pickup. I’ll take the pickup. But either way it’s going to hurt and I’m likely dead in both cases so my preference would be neither.

But this ludicrous notion that the Democrats are saints is getting out of hand.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Agreed. I've always felt like dealing with politics was often the choice between a dogshit taco in one hand and a bottle of urine in the other. You've got to consume one or the other if you're voting. If you're not voting, you're letting other people choose for you.

For the longest time I chose not to vote, but started when Trump became a real threat. I voted for the bottle of urine, but not because I thought drinking pee would be awesome.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm Only the best people
Taylor Weyeneth, a controversial member of the Trump administration who came under scrutiny in early January over his lack of qualifications, will resign his post later this month, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday evening.
WaPo on Weyeneth
He was one of the fastest-rising political appointees of the Trump administration, an unpaid campaign intern with no professional experience who soared into a top job with a six-figure salary at the White House’s drug policy office. But on Jan. 14, in the hours after a front-page Washington Post story cast doubt on his résumé and qualifications, 24-year-old Taylor Weyeneth was feeling vulnerable.
Two months later, Weyeneth was gone — demoted, told not to speak publicly and finally fired as the political fallout spread.
Weyeneth recently agreed to a request from The Post to talk about his experiences in the administration and the unusual circumstances that enabled him to climb through the ranks and into the White House. He provided emails, texts and other documents to back up his account.

In just over a year, Weyeneth received six promotions in the campaign and administration. They culminated with his appointment as deputy chief of staff at the Office of National Drug Control Policy, where he oversaw veteran employees and helped steer an operation that was supposed to lead the fight against the opioid epidemic.
A senior White House official, speaking on condition of anonymity, accused Weyeneth of betraying his former colleagues by speaking to The Post for this story.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:12 pm I voted for the bottle of urine, but not because I thought drinking pee would be awesome.
Obviously.

If you liked drinking pee you'd already be on the Trump train. #releasethetapes
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fitzy wrote:But this ludicrous notion that the Democrats are saints is getting out of hand.
I'm not sure who is shouting that from rooftops. Certainly nobody that I know.

However, there is a clear difference between the parties right now. Democrats are acting like traditional "normal" politicians. The Republican party is not.

As with any normal politician, there are plenty of things to be disdainful of. But let's not pretend that the current GOP administration is acting anything like "normal."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Words foreign to GOP at this time......tact, humanity, intelligence, reserve, public image, caring, world view, future.

Words known to them.......greed, arrogance, silly, laughable, politics, tit for tat, pettiness.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:16 pm
Fitzy wrote:But this ludicrous notion that the Democrats are saints is getting out of hand.

However, there is a clear difference between the parties right now. Democrats are acting like traditional "normal" politicians. The Republican party is not.

As with any normal politician, there are plenty of things to be disdainful of. But let's not pretend that the current GOP administration is acting anything like "normal."
You don't see the "only the democrats can save us from Trump"? Right here on this board people are insisting that voting third party is equivalent to voting for Trump. Critisim of Democrats is met with “at least they aren’t Trump”. Or let’s get rid of Trump and the GOP then worry about the Democrats as if electing Democrats without demanding responsiblity will result in something good.

People are putting their faith in the Democrats as if they can fix things. They can't. All they can do is, if they are extremely lucky, remove Trump. That gets us out of crazyland, but puts us right back into mostly crazyland. I'll take it. I'll hold my nose and vote for it.

But, to steal from Paingod, how long can we drink urine before we get sick?

I have no doubt the Democrats would do the exact same thing in a similar situation. So I don't see the clear difference other than my desire to remove Trump. And yes, I fear that if electing Democrats just because they aren't GOP happens, nothing will really change.

Donald Trump is without question unqualified to be president. He's not normal. He should have been stopped by sane people a long time ago. His administration is a reflection of his narrisism and it is hurting the country.

However, I don't think the GOP is acting out of character. We have a two party system, if the GOP "leaders" cut Trump loose, if they stand up to him, the party will fall apart. Their only hope is to ride Trump out and hope he doesn't do to much damage. You're asking for selfless behavior from people elected by and representing the selfish. This is the system we have created by insisting everything is binary. We did this by insisting we can have it all without sacrifice, without selflessness. This is our, the American voters and non-voters, fault.

We did this because we ask every poltician "What are you going to give me to vote for you." Trump is the ultimate expression of that mindset.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm You're asking for selfless behavior from people elected by and representing the selfish. This is the system we have created by insisting everything is binary. We did this by insisting we can have it all without sacrifice, without selflessness. This is our, the American voters and non-voters, fault.

We did this because we ask every poltician "What are you going to give me to vote for you." Trump is the ultimate expression of that mindset.
Not exactly. Someone else asks, "What are you going to give me if I [give you money to] get votes for you?" And then we, in aggregate, do what they want.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm You don't see the "only the democrats can save us from Trump"?
I believe at this current moment in time only democrats can save us from trump.

At the same time I agree with the flow the democratic support is running with that "good will" and growing in the sentiment that well now that you're on board against the common enemy, toe the line and I think it's cancerous. But there are different stages of cancer.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'll take my chances.

We had plenty of Democratic rule during the Obama era, and they managed not to separate kids from their parents, be racist a-holes, start trade wars with our allies, cozy up to our enemies, have multiple administration personalities plead guilty to criminal charges, etc.

At this point, I'd be willing to go back to the worst "normal" President. Where's Jimmy Carter when you need him?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I was at the gym and one of the news networks had Trump on saying how the recent report completely vindicates him. Ok, yeah yeah. But what slapped me in the face as I was reading the closed captioning and anticipating his next words, he said something like, "...and it vindicates my millions, many millions, of followers..." Reading along I thought for sure he would say "supporters" or maybe "Trump voters.". Nope, he's a god now.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:08 pm But this ludicrous notion that the Democrats are saints is getting out of hand.
Wtf are you talking about?

Heaping piles of criticism on the GOP does not imply the Dems are without fault, but the idea that somehow we shouldn't be forgetting about the Dem faults while drumpf burns down the country is an incredible waste of outrage.

Worse, we've had this exact same conversation before. Perhaps not with you specifically, but it's the nature of the beast that somehow talking about the faults of both parties at the same time is "fair" or that heavy criticism of one party somehow implies the other party is golden.

But none of that matters because drumpf is busy giving NK a handjob on the global stage while destroying decades old trade ties, ties that many countries, including the US have come to rely on.

But no, yeah, let's talk about how the GOP are the semi and the Dems are pickup trucks and how both are trying to run you over. Sure. No problem. The Dems absolutely would be arguing that Russia be allowed back into the G7 while refusing to sign anything coming out of the G7 at the same time.

Sure. Right.

The GOP are leprosy but the dems are a hangnail. Let's make sure we don't forget about the hangnail while trying not to literally die from leprosy.

Isgrim, if you're bored, I've said things to the same effect before. This entire conversation has already happened at least once. If you could find it and point me to it, that would be great. No sweat if this assignment is of no interest to you. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm

You don't see the "only the democrats can save us from Trump"?
The GOP are busy sucking his dick. I think you're out of your god damn mind if you think there is anyone in the current GOP (or future, if current campaigning is to be believed) that has any interest in anything that doesn't involve maintaining the current status quo.

I'm not even sure the Dems can save you from Drumpf, but I know for a fact that the GOP won't do it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 pm I was at the gym and one of the news networks had Trump on saying how the recent report completely vindicates him. Ok, yeah yeah. But what slapped me in the face as I was reading the closed captioning and anticipating his next words, he said something like, "...and it vindicates my millions, many millions, of followers..." Reading along I thought for sure he would say "supporters" or maybe "Trump voters.". Nope, he's a god now.
He's a social media "influencer".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Right now I only see Trump saving us from Trump. Either via his dietary choices or through hubris.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm Isgrim, if you're bored, I've said things to the same effect before. This entire conversation has already happened at least once. If you could find it and point me to it, that would be great. No sweat if this assignment is of no interest to you. :D
I'll back you up that this is round 2 of this discussion, but I have no interest in running down this particular rabbit hole.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 pm
Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:05 pm

You don't see the "only the democrats can save us from Trump"?
The GOP are busy sucking his dick. I think you're out of your god damn mind if you think there is anyone in the current GOP (or future, if current campaigning is to be believed) that has any interest in anything that doesn't involve maintaining the current status quo.

I'm not even sure the Dems can save you from Drumpf, but I know for a fact that the GOP won't do it.
I may very well have been the one arguing before in a similar manner. :think:

I damn well know that everyone in the GOP is out to maintain the status quo. That’s our entire damn system! If you think the Dems aren’t trying to do the same thing, then I am not the one out of mind.

I don’t think there has to be some sort of even exchange where critizing the gop must be met with equal time spent criticizing the Dems. Not do I equate criticism of the Democrats with support of trump. I’m sick of both parties but right now I wouldn’t touch the gop with a hazmat suit. That still doesn’t mean I’m going to bend over and take a reaming from the Democrats.

The Democrats are not the resistance. Their motives are not more pure than the gop. But yes, right now I will vote and support for them. But I still get to fucking criticize them when they are being stupid! Criticism of the Democrats does not equal support of Trump.

This all started because I posted that the Democrats literally had the opportunity to take power away from trump. They voted no to retain the power for their next president. I probably should not have done that in the trump thread but seeing RESIST again applied to them annoyed me.

The GOP is not going to save us. The Democrats aren’t going to save us. Only the American people can choose for ourselves to end this. And right now we are not doing that.

Well, that or Lawbeefaroni’s dietary suggestion.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm

I damn well know that everyone in the GOP is out to maintain the status quo. That’s our entire damn system! If you think the Dems aren’t trying to do the same thing, then I am not the one out of mind.
The GOP and Dems have different status quos though. The current status quo is potentially the worst one in my 1/2 century of being alive. Where would you put the Dems status quo during the Obama years as far as status quos go over the last 50 years?

Are both parties maintaining the status quo really the same thing, as you seem to be implying?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm I probably should not have done that in the trump thread but seeing RESIST again applied to them annoyed me.
I guess I'm going to keep on annoying because RESIST is all I know how to do right now. And accepting a party and leadership I largely don't agree with to RESIST the one in power that is openly advancing global economic social instability for religious and/or bigoted authoritarianism in the name of being "a unique form of government, a constitutional republic", well it's what I'm going to do. No one wants to be lectured with one member's sophistry on what a good democratic voter is supposed to not only do but hold dear to his heart while concurrently trying to figure out if another's liberal outrage is posting quotes or critiques on quotes less than I do. Believe me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 pm
I'll back you up that this is round 2 of this discussion, but I have no interest in running down this particular rabbit hole.
Me neither, which is why I took a long shot with you. :P

My argument then and now is that there will be plenty of time getting the hangnail fixed when the leprosy (was probably cancer last time I did this) is exorcised. If people have the stamina, interest and willpower to deal with both at the same time, great. I just don't think they do. Not to mention you kind of have to use the hangnail to remove the leprosy first. What do you do with the hangnail after? I'm not sure. I'm damn sure I want the leprosy taken care of though. I might be able to live with a hangnail, but the leprosy is almost certainly going to kill all of us, and worse, seems to have that as its main motivation.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm Criticism of the Democrats does not equal support of Trump.
Of course. But right now, given the math, voting for a third-party candidate does.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:50 pm
Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm Criticism of the Democrats does not equal support of Trump.
Of course. But right now, given the math, voting for a third-party candidate any candidate but the leading Democrat in a particular race does.
FTFY. I hate that this is the truth, but this is the truth today. Every concerned citizen needs to vote in Nov, and needs to vote D top to bottom. Sorting out beyond that is an issue for 2019 and beyond.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is an unbelievably inopportune moment to rail against the 2 party system.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:44 pm
Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm

The GOP and Dems have different status quos though. The current status quo is potentially the worst one in my 1/2 century of being alive. Where would you put the Dems status quo during the Obama years as far as status quos go over the last 50 years?

Are both parties maintaining the status quo really the same thing, as you seem to be implying?
It depends on what you mean by status quo. I believe both parties use whatever powers they have at the moment to increase the power of their party. They ignore the Constitution when it’s holding them back, scream about violations when it is not.

Obama used executive power to push through what he couldn’t get through Congress, mostly in regards to regulation, but also the manner of the Iran deal. He created an entire class of immigrants, DACA, through executive power alone. He used the power of the original Authorization for Military Force against Terrorists to expand the reach of the US military in fighting terrorism. He approved the assasination of an American citizen by drone. He approved countless drone strikes against people that killed enemies and innocent people. Nothing. In this paragraph was done by the manner specified in the Constitution.

As for Congress, they have been ecalating their fights for years. I have no idea who stated it, but it wouldn’t surprise me if you could trace it back to Adams and Jefferson. Lately? Democrats slowed approvals of Bush appointments. Republicans slowed approvals of Obama appointments. Democrats reduced the need to get 60 votes on some approvals, but agreed to keep it on others. Republicans stopped a Supreme Court nominee without even a hearing. Democrats slowed Trump appointments. Republicans killed the filibuster.

I have no idea who’s hands are dirtier. The Supreme Court thing was ridiculous and a huge escalation, but would Democrats walk it back if returned to power? I doubt it. I tried asking my Senators, but they never responded. They did sign me up for their email lists :roll:

Hell, I don’t like GOP policies. So I would gladly say they are worse, but is my judgement biased? I don’t like the Democrats shift to the left right now either. Not enough to prevent me voting mostly Democratic, but enough to worry me.

Democrats passed the ACA, fairly by the rules, they changed it through reconciliation, again allowed by the rules. The Republicans did the same thing recently for the tax cut. Neither managed bipartisanship. But both technically allowed. Republicans tried 7 billion times to repeal the ACA and then failed to do so when they had a real chance.

Trump is an outlier. GOP support for him is not. They have a binary choice. Support Trump or lose power. Can you honestly say the Democrats would not do the same?

I’m also starting to think Trump is the logical extension of the Baby Boomer’s greed and selfishness. The ultimate expresssion of it. That he’s also a racist, liar and sexist asshole just proves there is something wrong with us as a people. More people didn’t vote then voted for either candidate. We knew everything we needed to about Trump, that so many chose to not to vote says something bad about us and about the two parties.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 pm I hate that this is the truth, but this is the truth today. Every concerned citizen needs to vote in Nov, and needs to vote D top to bottom. Sorting out beyond that is an issue for 2019 and beyond.
If you hate it, imagine how I feel agreeing with you.
Rip

Post by Rip »

You will feel even worse when you see they don't.

Nothing to indicate the next election will see much more turnout than any other has. Looking for help from the non-voting masses is futile.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm It depends on what you mean by status quo. I believe both parties use whatever powers they have at the moment to increase the power of their party. They ignore the Constitution when it’s holding them back, scream about violations when it is not.
It depends on what you think it means. You're the one who said that both parties are out to maintain the status quo, which is true, but completely meaningless in the context of this conversation.

Is your concern about behaviour or governance?