The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote:
Chaz wrote:"If people would just stop talking about it so much, there wouldn't be a problem!"
I used to think this way about racism but not for the reason you are implying. Before Internet really shone a light on institutionalized violence against people based on skin tone in today's US, I assumed it was the sort of thing was strictly a learned thing that was mental is all. A matter of language that reared it's ugly head into policy disadvantages. I had no idea how horrible the reality of my country is.
I believe the common colloquialism for this is "being an average, ignorant and innocent white guy" which has become a misdemeanor offense in 23 states. The punishment still isn't as harsh as "driving while black" but does involve lengthy speeches about injustices that you may or may not understand afterwards, but will at least know better than to stand there and look confused about.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

pr0ner wrote:Actually, and while I doubt I'll get a straight answer, I would love Rip to defend Trump's statement on Hannity last night that the national debt is going DOWN because the stock markets have gone up so much since he was elected.

He actually said on Hannity last night that the stock market increase has been enough to wipe out all of the deficits the Obama administration racked up in 8 years.
I have no interest in defending his political spinning and fabricating, as I have said I am only interested in policy. As long as the right things get done I don't care if he thinks he does it because some magical all powerful supreme being said he should.
Rip

Post by Rip »

pr0ner wrote:He said this at a rally earlier in the day:
Trump wrote:Very proudly, just in the stock market alone, we have increased our economic worth by $5.2 trillion, that’s right, since Election Day. $5.2 trillion. Think about that, that’s a quarter of the $20 trillion that we owe.
I mean, the stock market going up is great for my personal finances. Not so much for the National Debt.

This is probably how Trump went bankrupt so many times. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I kinda think he thinks he is actually literally in charge of the entire country instead of just the government. In his mind he IS the United States.

SO if you look at it like that he is right, The Wall Street division recovered much of the loses of the Government division......
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rip wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Actually, and while I doubt I'll get a straight answer, I would love Rip to defend Trump's statement on Hannity last night that the national debt is going DOWN because the stock markets have gone up so much since he was elected.

He actually said on Hannity last night that the stock market increase has been enough to wipe out all of the deficits the Obama administration racked up in 8 years.
I have no interest in defending his political spinning and fabricating, as I have said I am only interested in policy. As long as the right things get done I don't care if he thinks he does it because some magical all powerful supreme being said he should.
The ends justifies the means is a terrible, terrible way to govern. Our history as a nation speaks against that as a concept again and again.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Rip wrote: SO if you look at it like that he is right, The Wall Street division recovered much of the loses of the Government division......
That's not how it works.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

noxiousdog wrote:
Rip wrote: SO if you look at it like that he is right, The Wall Street division recovered much of the loses of the Government division......
That's not how it works.
But if you look at it in the wrong way then he is right.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:Christ, what an asshole.
...We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!
Look, we all inherently know this is true...but why on earth would you come out and actually say it? Especially so soon after the disaster?
I just read about this. He just views Puerto Rico as some third world backwater deserving of "tough love" unlike the good Americans on the continental US. This man is such a piece of garbage.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rip wrote:

None of us have any "interest" in his spinning and bullshit, but that doesn't mean it's not happening and doesn't have an very significant impact on the credibility and ultimate sustainability of the country as a whole.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The only 'Policy' Trump seems to have left is "Trump Good. White Good. Money Good. Everything Else Bad."
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote:The only 'Policy' Trump seems to have left is "Trump Good. White Good. Money Good. Everything Else Bad."
Man, you left out so much nuance! There's also "Obama bad" and "People who say Trump is good are good".
Black Lives Matter.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Obama falls under not white.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paingod wrote:The only 'Policy' Trump seems to have left is "Trump Good. White Good. Money Good. Everything Else Bad."
Too complicated.

It's really just "Trump Good".
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Archinerd wrote:
Too complicated.

Still too complicated. It's simply "Trump" -- reverent adjectives such as goodliest, all-powerful, all-knowing and large-handed are implicit.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TLDR;

me
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Archinerd wrote:
Too complicated.

"MAGA" would also be acceptable
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Does he really care about America though? Nearly every day he is disdainful or outright hostile to some portion of the population. Today it is journalists and Puerto Ricans.

edit:
..and sick people with no better options.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That there isn't widespread outrage on what Trump is doing to Puerto Rico by the general populace makes me think we're getting what we deserve. No other president in history would get away with being such a sack of crap. Brown People Don't Matter... F this country right now.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:Bad? It has been great.

Stocks doing well, unemployment down, less federal employees/contractors, fewer illegal immigrants, NK/Iran finally being shown the back of the hand. If not for his stupid tweeting it would be rosy. You can take Trump out of New York but you can't take the loud mouth shit talking New Yorker out of Trump. I can live with it.
Good news. You can add UNESCO to Trump's bitch-slap list.
The United States plans to withdraw from UNESCO, citing financial reasons, as well as what it said was anti-Israel bias at the U.N.’s educational, science and cultural organization.

UNESCO was notified Thursday morning of the U.S. intention to withdraw at the end of 2018. The State Department said the United States would like to remain involved as a nonmember observer state.

The withdrawal means the U.S. will halt the arrears it has run-up since it stopped funding the organization in 2011 to protest the admission of the Palestinian Authority as a full member. By the end of this calendar year, the unpaid U.S. bill will amount to $550 million. With no sign that U.S. concerns would be addressed, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson decided to pull out.

State Department officials said they hope the withdrawal will help push UNESCO to make changes that would satisfy Washington so the U.S. can resume full membership. Though it will not be able to participate in voting, as an observer the U.S. will remain part of discussions on culture, education, science and communication.

“It sends a strong message that we need to see fundamental reform in the organization, and it raises everyone’s awareness about continued anti-Israel bias,” said one official, speaking on condition of anonymity under department ground rules.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

“It sends a strong message that we need to see fundamental reform in the organization, and it raises everyone’s awareness about continued anti-Israel bias,” said one official, speaking on condition of anonymity under department ground rules.
No it doesn't - it *might* if a non-crazy, non-racist administration did this.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Granted, it's not the first time the U.S. pulled out of UNESCO - last time it was under Reagan, for "pro-Soviet" bias.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Look, we all inherently know this is true...but why on earth would you come out and actually say it? Especially so soon after the disaster?
First off again what a racist piece of shit - they are US citizens. We aren't "staying there". I want to scream in his face 'THEY ARE US CITIZENS'.
You know if Houston had no power, water, cell service or food he'd mobilize anything with two legs or wheels. But those people didn't vote for him and are brown, and have an uppity mayor, so fuck them.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He should schedule construction during regular commuting hours. That'd teach them a lesson.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:He should schedule construction during regular commuting hours. That'd teach them a lesson.
No, no. It's a "traffic study".
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote:
malchior wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Look, we all inherently know this is true...but why on earth would you come out and actually say it? Especially so soon after the disaster?
First off again what a racist piece of shit - they are US citizens. We aren't "staying there". I want to scream in his face 'THEY ARE US CITIZENS'.
You know if Houston had no power, water, cell service or food he'd mobilize anything with two legs or wheels. But those people didn't vote for him and are brown, and have an uppity mayor, so fuck them.
He gave out paper towels. What more do you want?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fauxnews is now running a story about how Puerto Rico is witholding FEMA supplies. His base will eat that up in seconds. Look at these ungrateful brown people! Let them rot!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Puerto Rico: US officials privately acknowledge serious food shortage
Federal officials privately admit there is a massive shortage of meals in Puerto Rico three weeks after Hurricane Maria devastated the island.

Officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema) say that the government and its partners are only providing 200,000 meals a day to meet the needs of more than 2 million people. That is a daily shortfall of between 1.8m and 5.8m meals.

“We are 1.8 million meals short,” said one senior Fema official. “That is why we need the urgency. And it’s not going away. We’re doing this much today, but it has to be sustained over several months.”

The scale of the food crisis dwarfs the more widely publicized challenges of restoring power and communications. More than a third of Puerto Ricans are still struggling to live without drinking water.

However, Fema provides no details on food deliveries, keeping its public statements to the most general terms. On its website, Fema says it has provided “millions of meals and millions of liters of water”.

In fact many of those meals are military ready-to-eat meals that civilians find hard to digest if consumed for more than a few days.

Now the biggest provider of cooked meals says Fema is putting its operations at risk of closure.

World Central Kitchen, founded by chef José Andrés, cooks and distributes 90,000 meals a day through a network of local chefs and kitchens.

Its Fema contract, to provide just 20,000 meals a day, ended on Tuesday. Fema insists it is bound by federal rules that mean it will take several weeks for a new contract to emerge to feed more Americans.

“There is no urgency in the government response to this humanitarian crisis,” Andrés said. “They have all the officials and armed guards at headquarters, but they have no information about the island. They don’t even have a map they can share about who needs food. Fema is over-paying and it is under-delivering.”

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There's no margin if you actually provide adequate food. Duh.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

$iljanus wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
Too complicated.

"MAGA" would also be acceptable
Me am good always?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Morons
Are
Governing
America
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tgb wrote:Morons
Are
Governing
America
And that is what I will see ever time I see a picture of that stupid hat forever more.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It's more like:

Me
Am
Govern
AMAZING
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
tgb

Post by tgb »

LordMortis wrote:
tgb wrote:Morons
Are
Governing
America
And that is what I will see ever time I see a picture of that stupid hat forever more.
I wish I could take credit but I saw it on a bumper sticker.

In other news, Oh, fuck me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Speaking to the Values Voters:

"We are stopping cold the attacks on Judeo-Christian values'".

I'll admit I'm bit rusty on the details, but I'm pretty sure the policies towards immigrants, women, children, healthcare and of course those currently suffering in Puerto Rico are 180 degrees from the "Judeo-Christian values" he's trying to wrap himself in.

What in the actual fuck is going on?
"They don't use the word Christmas because it is not politically correct," Trump said, complaining that department stores will use red and Christmas decorations but say "Happy New Year." "We're saying Merry Christmas again."
Oh, important stuff.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

At the end of the day it's really just Fix News running our country right now. That is so terrifying.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Funny all that coming from someone who probably isn't religious in the slightest.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fox.. Eh can't fix it from my phone. Edit button never works.

The Meal

You don't say?

Post by The Meal »

pr0ner wrote:Funny all that coming from someone who probably isn't religious in the slightest.
The twice-divorced former casino mogul?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pr0ner

Re: You don't say?

Post by pr0ner »

The Meal wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Funny all that coming from someone who probably isn't religious in the slightest.
The twice-divorced former casino mogul?
That one.

I don't think be believes a word of what he says about anything about religion or God, he's just saying it to pander to his base.

YMMV.
Hodor.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:

I am going to guess you also don't give a hoot what process he uses for said policy. Unilateral fiat action by the executive to kill ACA subsidies would be executive branch over reach if Obama did it, but no bad taste now as long as he kills Obamacare, am I right?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell