The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

:oops:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kelly in a briefing believes Gold Star families are no longer sacred after the convention last summer. Hard to see that as anything other than a slam on Trump.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/19/politics/ ... index.html
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:05 pm:oops:
Not a WTF at you. I accepted the tweet as legit too.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OMG, look at this body language.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm Kelly in a briefing believes Gold Star families are no longer sacred after the convention last summer. Hard to see that as anything other than a slam on Trump.

Kelly wrote:"He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1%. He knew what the possibilities were because we were at war," Kelly said, channeling Dunford's words to him upon the death of Kelly's son. "And when he died he was surrounded by the best men on this earth, his friends. That's what the President tried to say to the four families the other day."
How stupid do you have to be to take that, and get this from it?
he knew what he signed up for, I guess
Giving condolences takes tact and empathy. It's not easy for the best of us. For God's sake, Mr. President, get someone on your staff to do it. You are not cut out for it. Not even a little. This is less about Drumpf being a terrible person and more about Drumpf being completely incapable of doing the job (condolences) successfully.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:57 pm OMG, look at this body language.
I noticed that right away too. The world's greatest negotiator. Cool as a cucumber. He's lucky he doesn't play poker.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:57 pm Giving condolences takes tact and empathy. It's not easy for the best of us.
My wife said the exact same thing this morning. As much as we despise him, we agreed we might have cut him slack if he could have just apologized and clarified. He's incapable of being a decent person, much less president.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:57 pm Giving condolences takes tact and empathy. It's not easy for the best of us.
My wife said the exact same thing this morning. As much as we despise him, we agreed we might have cut him slack if he could have just apologized and clarified. He's incapable of being a decent person, much less president.
Yeah, I'm empathetically challenged too, but I recognize that as a personal shortcoming and try to compensate. I usually know what words are expected in a given situation, and I can usually say them convincingly.

Trump has no personal shortcomings.
Chaz

Re: Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Chaz »

Alefroth wrote:
I noticed that right away too. The world's greatest negotiator. Cool as a cucumber. He's lucky he doesn't play poker.
There's a lot of videos of him defending himself with that exact same body language. If you looked up defensive lying in the body language dictionary, that's what you'd find.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, I've watched several times. Can someone give me the closed captions version of the body language?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 pm
Ok, I've watched several times. Can someone give me the closed captions version of the body language?
"Pouty, petulant man-child somehow lives to be 71, is caught lying (again), wants his KFC tendies. "
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 pm
"Pouty, petulant man-child somehow lives to be 71, is caught lying (again), wants his KFC tendies. "
Thanks. I can't read body language - he just looked constipated to me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Probably that, too.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Let's look at this another way:

Trump called the grieving widow of a dead solider, and upset her by his callousness.

Congresswoman Wilson was there at the side of the family when Trump called, because they were close before his death.

Who cares more about the family of veterans? The person who was there, and saw what happened. Not the President who phoned it in, and still failed.

#MAGA #NotWinning
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Another way to look at Kelly's comments:

He thinks President Trump...and all Presidents...should do nothing because they cannot "lighten the burden on these families" grieving for lost soldiers.

Whether or not that is true, shouldn't any President do their best to try? They are the Commander in Chief.

And shouldn't another parent of a fallen soldier want the President to honor the sacrifice of fallen veterans? Perhaps it's really that this President is incapable of the job.

Sad! #YoureFired
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 pm
Thanks. I can't read body language - he just looked constipated to me.
Crossed arms are an obvious defensive pose. Rounded shoulders make him look small. Trump is a man who ordinarily dominates the space around himself.
malchior

Post by malchior »

CIA Director inaccurately says Russia had no effect on election. Another *totally* normal day in Trump's America.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 pm Trump just claimed he gets a 10 out of 10 for the Puerto Rico response. I'd die laughing if people weren't actually dying due to his incompetence. Sic semper moronis futundo.
This is his narcissism at work. He can't acknowledge even the slightest need for improvement. He's unmoored from reality.

Just this week he declared that no other president has ever done as much as he has in nine months. His toadies like Sean Hannity play the same game. Sheriff David Clarke this week insisted that there is literally no one alive more sensitive to the feelings of Gold Star families than Donald Trump.

This is Pyongyang-level bullshit.
Trump is the head of a human centipede. Everyone behind him just eats whatever he shits out and passes it on.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What's amazing is he got a man like Kelly to go out, get outraged, get facts wrong, and just in general become a person who throws their reputation down the drain. It boggles the mind. There is something incredibly broken here. I'm not talking opinion here. They *constantly get verifiable facts wrong*. That is why it is so dangerous. If we can't agree on facts then the time for discussion is over. Sooner or later this will all blow up if this is the road we choose.

Edit: Just to further expand - Kelly made a personal attack on Wilson's character *and got the facts wrong there*. Someone clearly tried to clumsily dig up some dirt on Wilson and Kelly repeated it without verification. To smear her because she spoke up for a family who was hurting. Completely indefensible.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You lie down with dogs, you get fleas. And by fleas, I mean large amounts of illegal foreign money that can later be used to blackmail you.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 am What's amazing is he got a man like Kelly to go out, get outraged, get facts wrong, and just in general become a person who throws their reputation down the drain. It boggles the mind. There is something incredibly broken here. I'm not talking opinion here. They *constantly get verifiable facts wrong*. That is why it is so dangerous. If we can't agree on facts then the time for discussion is over. Sooner or later this will all blow up if this is the road we choose.

Edit: Just to further expand - Kelly made a personal attack on Wilson's character *and got the facts wrong there*. Someone clearly tried to clumsily dig up some dirt on Wilson and Kelly repeated it without verification. To smear her because she spoke up for a family who was hurting. Completely indefensible.
Video confirms that his story was bogus.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Is their unrelenting and unabashedly false attack on her more dog whisting? Am I being paranoid?

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote:
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm Kelly in a briefing believes Gold Star families are no longer sacred after the convention last summer. Hard to see that as anything other than a slam on Trump.

Kelly wrote:"He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1%. He knew what the possibilities were because we were at war," Kelly said, channeling Dunford's words to him upon the death of Kelly's son. "And when he died he was surrounded by the best men on this earth, his friends. That's what the President tried to say to the four families the other day."
How stupid do you have to be to take that, and get this from it?
he knew what he signed up for, I guess
Giving condolences takes tact and empathy. It's not easy for the best of us. For God's sake, Mr. President, get someone on your staff to do it. You are not cut out for it. Not even a little. This is less about Drumpf being a terrible person and more about Drumpf being completely incapable of doing the job (condolences) successfully.
Dear General Kelly - last I checked, we aren't at war in Niger.

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My social media feed this morning is full of Trumpsters talking about how John Kelly so bravely addressed this "disrespectful stunt" by the Democrats. "Disrespectful stunt" referring, of course, to Congresswoman Wilson and the widow's comments, and not anything Trump said or did.

I'll give them credit for one thing, they certainly do know how to circle the wagons.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm Dear General Kelly - last I checked, we aren't at war in Niger.
The soldier knew the US was at war when he signed up, and signed up anyway. That's his point. Not that he knew the US was at war with Niger when he was stationed there. In this case, I agree with Chrisoc.

Kelly will sink his own boat. He has already started drilling holes. For the good of the country, apparently. He doesn't need any help.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:08 pm Is their unrelenting and unabashedly false attack on her more dog whisting? Am I being paranoid?
In this case I feel it is laziness. They likely did quick research. She isn't well known so there probably wasn't that much material lying around for attack. They just seized on something poorly sourced. In other words, the WH simply doesn't have the best minds working for it and this is the result.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Activist judiciary, or Deep State obstruction?

Federal judge refuses to erase Joe Arpaio’s conviction despite Trump pardon
A federal judge on Thursday shot down former sheriff Joe Arpaio’s bid to sweep his criminal record clean.

Arpaio, the controversial former lawman in Arizona’s Maricopa County, was granted a pardon by President Trump on Aug. 25. He had been found guilty of criminal contempt of a federal court order after a five-day bench trial earlier this year and faced the possibility of up to six months in jail. After the pardon, the 85-year-old Arpaio petitioned the court to clear his record and prevent the ruling from being used in future litigation.

The case raised the novel question of how far a presidential pardon actually reaches.

In her ruling, U.S. District Judge Susan R. Bolton said the pardon only freed Arpaio from possible punishment. In a four-page order offering a check on the president’s executive power, Bolton wrote that a pardon could not erase the facts of the case.

“The power to pardon is an executive prerogative of mercy, not of judicial recordkeeping,” Bolton wrote in the decision. “To vacate all rulings in this case would run afoul of this important distinction. The Court found Defendant guilty of criminal contempt.”

The president issued the pardon, and Arpaio was spared “from any punishment that might otherwise have been imposed,” the judge wrote. “It did not, however, ‘revise the historical facts’ of this case.”

Arpaio’s attorney immediately filed a notice of appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What?!? Trump does not have the ability to rewrite reality?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Character Counts Week" sure went by fast, didn't it?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:07 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 am What's amazing is he got a man like Kelly to go out, get outraged, get facts wrong, and just in general become a person who throws their reputation down the drain. It boggles the mind. There is something incredibly broken here. I'm not talking opinion here. They *constantly get verifiable facts wrong*. That is why it is so dangerous. If we can't agree on facts then the time for discussion is over. Sooner or later this will all blow up if this is the road we choose.

Sanders is so despicable.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... attle.html
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Um. I just noticed that her eyes point in different directions. That's a little...offputting.
Formix

Post by Formix »

This was Kelly's Colin Powell at the UN moment. A lifetime of credibility down the tubes.
tgb

Post by tgb »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm Um. I just noticed that her eyes point in different directions. That's a little...offputting.
I clocked that a while ago. It's definitely disturbing.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Formix wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:34 pm This was Kelly's Colin Powell at the UN moment. A lifetime of credibility down the tubes.
Now it's about whether he speaks up or allows Trump/SHS to speak for him.

Kelly bought into and presented a totally false version of events. Does he apologize, or does he go along with his boss' lie?

His whole speech was about the virtues of military people, so it's clear what he ought to do. Will he do it?
malchior

Post by malchior »

The WH response was essentially - don't dare question a 4-star general. Yeah we're on solid ground here when that is your go to line.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Come on guys, we all know it's just flat out wrong to criticize our generals.

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And since then we've learned that Drumpf almost certainly has no idea who Patton or MacArthur are, except that they existed at one time and people tell him they were important and good at their jobs.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:26 pm "Character Counts Week" sure went by fast, didn't it?
Each time I see this behaviour, I can't help but wonder whether they gave a carrot or used a stick.
Last edited by Jolor on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

“As Gen. Kelly pointed out, if you're able to make a sacred act like honoring American heroes all about yourself, you’re an empty barrel,” Sanders said. “If you don't understand that reference, I will put it a little bit more simply as we say in the South, ‘all hat, no cattle.’”
The fuck? He called her an empty barrel for supposedly taking credit for the FBI building. God, fuck these people.

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

“As Gen. Kelly pointed out, if you're able to make a sacred act like honoring American heroes all about yourself, you’re an empty barrel,” Sanders said. “If you don't understand that reference, I will put it a little bit more simply as we say in the South, ‘all hat, no cattle.’”
The fuck? He called her an empty barrel for supposedly taking credit for the FBI building. God, fuck these people.
It's pretty galling to insult her (wrongfully so) for something his boss does on a regular basis. Do they really think most people don't catch that? And then to say it's inappropriate to debate a 4 Star General? Ugh.