The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:54 pm Taking people's children without due process for a misdemeanor or for no reason whatsoever is simply immoral.
It not immoral if they are subhuman animals. That's why you don't need to get people to change their core morality, just who they consider animals.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That is a serious party.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:32 pm That is a serious party.
We assume the parade, not the changing of core morality.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:While I lay the blame for the current clime of hostility firmly at the feet of the Mangerine, I also don't feel adapting his style is going to help the cause of anti-orange.
It's still fox, rush, et al who created the climate of hate. Trump is just taking advantage of the foundation of hate they (and others) have been laying for decades. President Palin would be just about the same.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 pm So, the White House's government consolidation plan is out and...oh. Oh no. Read it for yourself here.

Some "highlights" of the plan can be found in this thread, starting here.

:o
The single most critical question I have is: Can the next president undo this shit easily...?
Why would the Honey Boo-Boo/Joe the Plumber administration want to undo all this winning?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:02 am
hepcat wrote:While I lay the blame for the current clime of hostility firmly at the feet of the Mangerine, I also don't feel adapting his style is going to help the cause of anti-orange.
It's still fox, rush, et al who created the climate of hate. Trump is just taking advantage of the foundation of hate they (and others) have been laying for decades.
Completely agree. Jon Stewart called them on it too, many years ago when he told them to their faces they were destroying the country with their lies and bullshit and hatemongering style. As much as I enjoy piling on Trump whenever possible, this is not on him.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump: US Steel is opening six major facilities and expanding others.

US Steel: Wait...we're doing what now?

:doh:
"The head of U.S. Steel called me the other day, and he said, 'We're opening up six major facilities and expanding facilities that have never been expanded.' They haven't been opened in many, many years."- President Donald Trump, roundtable with American workers, Duluth, Minnesota, June 20, 2018

The Facts

President Trump has a tendency to cite conversations that did not occur quite the way he describes them - if they took place at all. So we were a bit suspicious when he mentioned a phone conversation with Dave Burritt, chief executive of U.S. Steel.

Burritt did take part in a roundtable in March at the White House, and in May the president appeared to reference that meeting.

But then, on June 20, the conversation became a phone call. On June 26, Trump suggested that the news was disclosed in a public announcement.

One would think this would be easy to clear up. But the White House did not respond to a query. Burritt also did not respond to an email from The Fact Checker asking him to confirm the conversation.

Meghan M. Cox, U.S. Steel's spokeswoman, simply offered this response: "To answer your question, we post all of our major operational announcements to our website and report them on earnings calls. Our most recent one pertained to our Granite City 'A' blast furnace restart."

Translation: The president is wrong. But apparently U.S. Steel is afraid to say that out loud.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

As long as you get the turnout you're getting down there, this is going to keep happening.

And fuck people who both sides this shit. Your in a culture war and the forces of good are losing.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Pyperkub

Re: Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:02 am
It's still fox, rush, et al who created the climate of hate. Trump is just taking advantage of the foundation of hate they (and others) have been laying for decades.
Completely agree. Jon Stewart called them on it too, many years ago when he told them to their faces they were destroying the country with their lies and bullshit and hatemongering style. As much as I enjoy piling on Trump whenever possible, this is not on him.
Well, it is to the extent that he is making it much, much worse her deserves it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In a rare bought of good news on the Trump Front.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2018/0 ... -and-more/
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:04 am In a rare bought of good news on the Trump Front.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2018/0 ... -and-more/
It's another name for privitization.

If, as Trump says, it's "less expensive for the us" (the government), I'm skeptical. I'm going to get a brief on this at work but right now it looks like kicking the can.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

He lies about everything. It's an insult to every one of us.

link

link

link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Why stop making things up now? It got him this far.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If you assume that everything out of his mouth is a lie, you will be right ~70% of the time (politifact) -- and that's not including his half-truths. If you disbelieve everything he says, you'll only be wrong 17% of the time.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:30 pm If you assume that everything out of his mouth is a lie, you will be right ~70% of the time (politifact) -- and that's not including his half-truths. If you disbelieve everything he says, you'll only be wrong 17% of the time.
That's obviously the very definition of 'deplorable' so I won't say I'm surprised particularly as I listen to quite a bit of it every day. But it is definitely remarkable and it's definitely hurting the country. I feel a bit like I imagine Germans felt in the 30s. 'Oh yeah this sucks but eventually he's gonna do something we all realize is crackers, and he's out.'. Cept that never happened. 😢
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump supporters are fantastic. You can lie straight to their face and they'll believe you. They're tomorrow's Morlocks. :D
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:00 pmThey're tomorrow's Morlocks. :D
How's it feel to be the Eloi? :(
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's frustrating. I don't care if I agreed with someone's politics 110% - if they're that pathological liar, I'm not going to support them out of principle. The fact that so many Republicans are wiling to turn a blind eye to it is disgusting.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 am
hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:00 pmThey're tomorrow's Morlocks. :D
How's it feel to be the Eloi? :(
Whoops...I screwed up my literary reference. :oops:
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Raise your hand if you are surprised:
President Donald Trump's most recent financial disclosure reveals that in 2017 the first lady earned at least $100,000 from Getty Images for the use of any of a series of 187 photos of the first family shot between 2010 and 2016 by Belgian photographer Regine Mahaux.

It's not unheard of for celebrities to earn royalties from photos of themselves, but it's very unusual for the wife of a currently serving elected official. More problematic for the many news organizations that have published or broadcast the images, however, is that Getty's licensing agreement stipulates the pictures can be used in "positive stories only."

According to the revenue statement in President Trump's May financial disclosure, Melania Trump earned between $100,000 and $1,000,000 in photo royalties in 2017 from the Getty deal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

And the news now is that Trump is intending to meet Putin...1 on 1...alone...again.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 pm And the news now is that Trump is intending to meet Putin...1 on 1...alone...again.
I think Putin has access to that tracking device we saw in Kingsman: The Golden Circle. This should end well.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The Trump administration is moving to rescind Obama-era guidance to colleges and universities on how they can use race in admissions decisions to promote diversity, according to an administration official.

The action, expected Tuesday afternoon, is likely to signal a push to emphasize admissions that are race-blind. The Supreme Court has upheld race-conscious admission practices as recently as 2016, but affirmative action in higher education remains a contentious issue.

In 2011 and 2016, the Obama administration’s Justice and Education departments jointly spelled out for colleges their view of the law on the voluntary use of race in admissions.

The 2011 statement said the departments “recognize the compelling interest that postsecondary institutions have in obtaining the benefits that flow from achieving a diverse student body.” It went on to assert that schools have flexibility “to take proactive steps, in a manner consistent with principles articulated in Supreme Court opinions, to meet this compelling interest.”

The Obama-era documents replaced a 2008 letter on the subject from the Bush administration. Now it appears that the Trump administration is about to assert its own views. A Justice Department spokesman said an announcement was imminent.

Opponents of affirmative action said they were heartened.
I'm sure this will be the reasoned, equal opportunity policy that everyone has been waiting for.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump wrote:After having written many best selling books, and somewhat priding myself on my ability to write, it should be noted that the Fake News constantly likes to pour over my tweets looking for a mistake. I capitalize certain words only for emphasis, not b/c they should be capitalized!
:lol:

"Pore." The verb he wants is "pore."

This idiot.

(And he brought this on himself, as all of his books were ghostwritten.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm(And he brought this on himself, as all of his books were ghostwritten.)
And so is that tweet. :lol:
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm
Trump wrote:After having written many best selling books, and somewhat priding myself on my ability to write, it should be noted that the Fake News constantly likes to pour over my tweets looking for a mistake. I capitalize certain words only for emphasis, not b/c they should be capitalized!
:lol:

"Pore." The verb he wants is "pore."

This idiot.
Actually, he has it right, doesn't he? A "pore" is one of those little holes in your skin.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's an old definition of pore and it is only used in that expression these days.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I can’t fault him for this one; I would’ve made the same mistake!
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Biyobi wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 pm Actually, he has it right, doesn't he? A "pore" is one of those little holes in your skin.
To closely examine something is to "pore over" it.

"Pour over" has an obviously different meaning. No educated writer would confuse them.

I could forgive the slip in a casual context. In a claim that he is a successful and effective writer, it's ridiculous and sad.

Actual writers proofread, edit, and think. It's likely Trump has never done any of these.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I can’t fault him for this one; I would of made the same mistake!
FTFY
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The tweet is especially ridiculous since it's widely known that he's always used ghost writers. But we're obviously not the target audience for that tweet. As always, it's for his fanatics, who take everything he says at face value and don't question any of it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Brian

Post by Brian »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:59 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I can’t fault him for this one; I would of made the same mistake!
FTFY
You cheeky bastard. :clap:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
Holman

Post by Holman »

The original tweet was deleted because we pored over it and saw he's an idiot.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Chaz wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 pm The tweet is especially ridiculous since it's widely known that he's always used ghost writers. But we're obviously not the target audience for that tweet. As always, it's for his fanatics, who take everything he says at face value and don't question any of it.
Everything that he says is for his base. Their support was enough to bring him to power and it's enough to cow Congress -- he doesn't need or care about anybody else, but he has to keep them whipped up. We are only his target audience when he's trying to divide or distract us.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The fact that he had to delete and repost a corrected version of the tweet where he complains about people looking for mistakes in his magnificent writing is just /chef kiss.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 pm I can’t fault him for this one; I would’ve made the same mistake!
generally, I would as well, but I wouldn't do it while I'm bragging about writing skillz being better than journalists who have never written so many best selling books wherein I claim to be the best at writing, whereas Fake News can't see my leet tweet "meant to do that" form of button mashing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz wrote:The fact that he had to delete and repost a corrected version of the tweet where he complains about people looking for mistakes in his magnificent writing is just /chef kiss.
As is the fact that the corrected tweet still has an error.

Also:

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm dense, what's the mistake in the second version?