The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz wrote:I'm dense, what's the mistake in the second version?
'Best-selling' (and other compound adjectives) is hyphenated when used as an adjective.

Also, of course, fake news isn't a thing that's capitalized, but as he says that's an intentional mistake because... MAGA? And calling something fake when it just found an objective mistake in his tweet might just be the most Trumpian thing Trump did yesterday.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Meta Trump
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Everyone knows that the American conservative is a deep state front.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh hey here's the POTUS making a joke about sexually assaulting Senator Warren.

Link
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I don't care what your political agenda is, standing behind this thing we have in office makes you just as disgusting.

Our president, ladies and gentlemen.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is an actual quote from the President of the United States at a rally in Montana last night:
I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
What. The. Fuck? :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wow.

I mean, anyone still wonder if this man is playing 3 dimensional chess with us or if he's just a complete fool?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, if you're not openly, loudly speaking out against this kind of rhetoric against sitting Senators (looking at you entire GOP), then you are complicit.

Trump's leash could have been yanked a long time ago had the GOP put on a united front against this kind of talk, but they've just sat by and passively let it occur. And like a toddler, Trump has felt ever more emboldened the longer he gets away with it.

There is a MINIMUM level of civility that professionals (much less a President) should have in dealing with their peers, and Trump just doesn't care. It's disgusting not on a political level, it's disgusting on just being a human being level. He has forever taken a big dump on the office of the President, and it burns me up to no end.

I was reading the news last night and my daughter asked me what I was doing. I told her I was reading the news. She asked what was going on. I told her, "The President is still a horrible human being." And I will keep reiterating that to my kids at every opportunity that this is NOT a role model. And I resent him for me having to train my kids NOT to look up to the highest political office in the land.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am This is an actual quote from the President of the United States at a rally in Montana last night:
I have broken more Elton John records, he seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
No one has thought of Elton John concerts as a standard for crowd size in, what, forty years?

But his team just pulled a fun little diplo-gesture of offering Kim Jong Un a Trump-signed copy of "Rocket Man," so he had Elton John near the top of the list of things his brain is vaguely aware of.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 am Yeah, if you're not openly, loudly speaking out against this kind of rhetoric against sitting Senators (looking at you entire GOP), then you are complicit.

Trump's leash could have been yanked a long time ago had the GOP put on a united front against this kind of talk, but they've just sat by and passively let it occur. And like a toddler, Trump has felt ever more emboldened the longer he gets away with it.
They can't and never could. Reigning in the rage and insults would be Political Correctness, which they've rejected for years (though they call it "civility" when defending their own).

Trump says what right-wingers believe they will somehow be punished for saying. Crossing the line looks like fearlessness to them.

This is why Trump statements never feel like gaffes. The offense is always intentional.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 am I was reading the news last night and my daughter asked me what I was doing. I told her I was reading the news. She asked what was going on. I told her, "The President is still a horrible human being." And I will keep reiterating that to my kids at every opportunity that this is NOT a role model. And I resent him for me having to train my kids NOT to look up to the highest political office in the land.
Raising young kids with this man in office if horrible.

"What's a Pee Tape ?" (actually asked) would be just one of the question generated by leaving the TV on, some Sunday morning....

I shudder to think of the homes of Trump supporters and how the young kids are being taught to hate.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Did we ever find out what record he broke before his stable genius brain took him on a side quest to WTFville?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 am This is an actual quote from the President of the United States at a rally in Montana last night:
I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ.

The brain is an organ. So I guess I agree with him for once.
He won. Period.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am Did we ever find out what record he broke before his stable genius brain took him on a side quest to WTFville?
I think it was (yet another) instance of him bragging about crowd size and how many people can't get in to his rallies. Here's a twitter thread that's basically a live blog of the rally. It's all pretty nuts.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 am

I shudder to think of the homes of Trump supporters and how the young kids are being taught to hate.
His first week in office we had a kid tell my daughter, "You can come over to my house more now since [Mexican and Argentinian besties] will all get kicked out of America!"

It's only gotten worse since then. It sucks and we're trying to fight it by doing a deep dive into Ameican history.

And the SAS Survival Handbook.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 am

His first week in office we had a kid tell my daughter, "You can come over to my house more now since [Mexican and Argentinian besties] will all get kicked out of America!"

It's only gotten worse since then. It sucks and we're trying to fight it by doing a deep dive into Ameican history.
Little B 9.4 had something similar happen. She came home crying because the other kids on the playground were telling Monish (from India) that he had to leave now because Trump was President.

The sad thing is that you know these kids aren't making this stuff up on their own at that age (they would have been 8). They're simply parroting what they hear from parents and/or other family members, but are now growing up believing that is the truth. Scary times.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It truly shines a spotlight on how much racism had gone to ground and still is prevalent in today's society. But sure, it's a thing of the past because we had a black president, and there's no need to inspect voting districts and consider race in college admissions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaz wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 am I think it was (yet another) instance of him bragging about crowd size and how many people can't get in to his rallies.
There is somehow a joke to be made about having to brag about your crowd because you have no organ.
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:11 am Little B 9.4 had something similar happen. She came home crying because the other kids on the playground were telling Monish (from India) that he had to leave now because Trump was President.

The sad thing is that you know these kids aren't making this stuff up on their own at that age (they would have been 8). They're simply parroting what they hear from parents and/or other family members, but are now growing up believing that is the truth. Scary times.
I am thankful that as racist as my parents are, they not only hide it, they fight it, and they never ever ever let their children be exposed to their bias until we were adults. I suppose that's where I once had a patient hope that this from of bigotry would die in the US necessarily as the generations passed. I usually like being wrong, coming to an ah ha moment and learning more about the world. These last 10 years have been a kind of wrong I don't like being.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 am I am thankful that as racist as my parents are, they not only hide it, they fight it, and they never ever ever let their children be exposed to their bias until we were adults. I suppose that's where I once had a patient hope that this from of bigotry would die in the US necessarily as the generations passed. I usually like being wrong, coming to an ah ha moment and learning more about the world. These last 10 years have been a kind of wrong I don't like being.
While bigotry and racism are not dying in the US, I do think they're diminishing. I think back to when I was a kid, and can imagine nearly every kid on the playground saying something similar to what my daughter heard. Now it's just a select few. I think of the multi-cultural influences that my kids interact with every day without even batting an eye, all of which would have been unheard of 20-30 years ago. I don't have data to back it up, but my feeling is that the number of kids learning and/or spouting racist rhetoric is far less these days compared to what it was.

Unfortunately, Trump has given a massive megaphone and a veneer of cultural acceptance to those who do subscribe to bigoted viewpoints. So while I don't think there's necessarily more of them, they are far more visible because the bigots now feel it's appropriate to do so. They're emboldened to speak their mind, and get more attention as a result.

That's what I'm going to keep telling myself, anyways. The alternative is too depressing.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am

But his team just pulled a fun little diplo-gesture of offering Kim Jong Un a Trump-signed copy of "Rocket Man," so he had Elton John near the top of the list of things his brain is vaguely aware of.
Wpah, woah, that was real? The fuck? Obviously Trump can only hold like 5 ideas in his brain at once. Clearly why he tossed that Elton John word salad. He had just signed the CD.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am
No one has thought of Elton John concerts as a standard for crowd size in, what, forty years?

For the first half of that quote I thought he was talking about breaking Elton John LPs. Elton does have a lot of those records.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am For the first half of that quote I thought he was talking about breaking Elton John LPs.
You were not alone.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:37 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am For the first half of that quote I thought he was talking about breaking Elton John LPs.
You were not alone.
same... I was much more inclined to think of the records he had made, and not at all inclined to think of Elton John as someone who held a record for something.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am Did we ever find out what record he broke before his stable genius brain took him on a side quest to WTFville?
Not record, RECORDS. Also, "virtually EVERY record" , to be exact.

I've spoken to people so high they can barely walk that made more sense than when our Trumpian fool gets behind a podium.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Seeing these quotes, and seeing all these testimonials about still supporting Drumpf, I think it would be fun to ask co-workers to read some of the quotes out loud, and if that's not enough, read them out loud loudly enough for multiple people to hear them.

It's less easy to be in denial when insanity is coming out of your own mouth. Being put on the spot and asked if they still support him after saying his words has got to cause some sort of psychological fracture, which is probably more fun than actually turning anyone's viewpoint.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm Seeing these quotes, and seeing all these testimonials about still supporting Drumpf, I think it would be fun to ask co-workers to read some of the quotes out loud, and if that's not enough, read them out loud loudly enough for multiple people to hear them.

It's less easy to be in denial when insanity is coming out of your own mouth. Being put on the spot and asked if they still support him after saying his words has got to cause some sort of psychological fracture, which is probably more fun than actually turning anyone's viewpoint.
I believe the standard response to something like that is "the effing libtards and corrupt media won't stop nitpicking and bullying him".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's fine. Get them to read the quote out loud. It's harder to ignore the insanity when it comes out of your own mouth. There's no need to engage in debate or argument.
malchior

Post by malchior »

As if we didn't need more evidence - it's a cult.

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

You can imagine Reagan and Goldwater somersaulting in their graves. Of course, neither of them would be electable in today's Republican party anyway.
malchior

Post by malchior »

*womp womp*

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I don't know if this goes in the 'trump attacks Healthcare' thread, the 'trump attacks our allies(aka trump foreign policy) thread, or here so I'll just leave it here.

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

So basically the US decides to brow beat Ecuador for having the gall to bring forth a resolution stating that boobs are good...err I mean that breastfeeding is a good thing. I believe they also had some wild ass claims like 'clean water is good' and another entitled 'Oxygen saves lives' but fortunately we brought them to heel before things got out of control.
Of course we didn't stop at brow beating, we needed to get nasty about it and talk trade penalties and the withdrawal of military aid.
It's getting to be repetitive in this trump era but....WTF?

Oh that's right...lobbyists. Good thing we drained that swamp. I'll note, merely as an aside because I'm certain in the 'trump is putin's bitch' world we find ourselves that this means absolutely nothing; but when Russia later brought forth the same resolution we did...nothing. At least we have the courage of our convictions. :puke-front:
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GungHo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 am I don't know if this goes in the 'trump attacks Healthcare' thread, the 'trump attacks our allies(aka trump foreign policy) thread, or here so I'll just leave it here.
Could fit anywhere.

Was discussed in the foreign policy thread.

As noted there, the only thing that got us to back down was our handlers Russia taking up the pro-breastfeeding side.

MYT
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Ahh ok thanks. These things seem to run together lately.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Supreme Court The Bachelor selection tonight in prime time.

Such shit.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm sure they're using this as inspiration.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump has decided to pardon two of the ranchers whose actions started the whole Bundy incident up in Oregon.

I guess anything goes now...as long as you're white and conservative. :roll: More detail here.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Emboldened people will embolden. And yes, it's in the right thread.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trumper assholes gonna asshole, but the cop simply standing around doing while that guy repeatedly got in her face was ridiculous.