The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am Trumper assholes gonna asshole, but the cop simply standing around doing while that guy repeatedly got in her face was ridiculous.
I'll point out that a second cop rolled up and immediately detained him. Fuck that first cop. You can almost pick out the thought process. White guy harassing a latino girl? Why get involved? :roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That was uncomfortable to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's been happening daily all over the United States for a few years now. I'm glad she managed to film it as I have no doubt people wouldn't believe it otherwise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am That was uncomfortable to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's been happening daily all over the United States for a few years now. I'm glad she managed to film it as I have no doubt people wouldn't believe it otherwise.
This has been making the rounds on FB, and the response from a few of my conservative acquaintances was "Since we don't know what happened before she started filming, I'm sure it's just more liberal fake news".

When you have to find ways to defend behavior like this, it's time to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Not that any of them ever will.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:52 am
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 am Trumper assholes gonna asshole, but the cop simply standing around doing while that guy repeatedly got in her face was ridiculous.
I'll point out that a second cop rolled up and immediately detained him. Fuck that first cop. You can almost pick out the thought process. White guy harassing a latino girl? Why get involved? :roll:
I'm not sure about how I feel about that first cop. He was obviously on the horn describing the situation and was likely waiting for backup rather than accidentally escalating the scene. But at the same time his presence with no interjection at all when she was pleading for an interjection while fuckhead is clearly in the wrong reinforces my fear for my country. Fucko was constantly putting himself in a situation where cop on the horn could do absolutely nothing if the situation turned from verbal abuse to physical abuse.

I believe I understand what he was doing but I think it was a bad judgement call in a situation that was already turning out poorly in small part to he his presence in choosing not to decide.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:52 am
I'm not sure about how I feel about that first cop. He was obviously on the horn describing the situation and was likely waiting for backup rather than accidentally escalating the scene. But at the same time his presence with no interjection at all when she was pleading for an interjection while fuckhead is clearly in the wrong reinforces my fear for my country. Fucko was constantly putting himself in a situation where cop on the horn could do absolutely nothing if the situation turned from verbal abuse to physical abuse.

I believe I understand what he was doing but I think it was a bad judgement call in a situation that was already turning out poorly in small part to he his presence in choosing not to decide.
Agreed. I'm not well versed on the finer points of police dispatch procedures, but it seems like conveying "white male being physically threatening towards a hispanic female at park on the corner of Elm and Main. Please send backup units" would allow you go intervene in the situation rather quickly.

Brevity is certainly a better option than appearing to simply ignore the situation for a few minutes while the dude gets more and more aggressive, and other people get involved.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, you don't have 'conversations' on the radio with dispatch. Doing so prevents the next guy in real trouble from getting on the radio and asking for help. Brevity rules aren't just for fun. If you need to have a conversation, you put down the radio and pick up your phone.

What he was likely doing was standing there waiting for a response. He was probably just holding his radio so he'd be ready to answer.

There is nothing - including waiting for backup - that would have precluded him simply separating the two verbally, telling the man that if he didn't stay 'over there', he'd be arrested.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 am That was uncomfortable to watch, and I'm pretty sure it's been happening daily all over the United States for a few years now. I'm glad she managed to film it as I have no doubt white people wouldn't believe it otherwise.
FTFY
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Flag Code language uses the term 'should' for the vast majority of its items.

FAA
We call "must" and "must not" words of obligation. "Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation on your readers to tell them something is mandatory. Also, "must not" are the only words you can use to say something is prohibited. Who says so and why?

Nearly every jurisdiction has held that the word "shall" is confusing because it can also mean "may, will or must." Legal reference books like the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure no longer use the word "shall." Even the Supreme Court ruled that when the word "shall" appears in statutes, it means "may."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks Meal, I was going to post something like that. Hilarious that angry nationalist gets nationalism wrong.

Less hilarious is that angry nationalist uses nationalism as cover for his aggressive racism.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

They do not violate the flag code. The code stipulates you can't use The Flag for stuff like clothing. Clothes that were designed with flag patterns from scratch were never flown as the American Flag and therefore do not qualify.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:00 pm
They do not violate the flag code. The code stipulates you can't use The Flag for stuff like clothing. Clothes that were designed with flag patterns from scratch were never flown as the American Flag and therefore do not qualify.
§ 3. Use of flag for advertising purposes; mutilation of flag

Any person who, within the District of Columbia, in any manner, for exhibition or display, shall place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing, or any advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America; or shall expose or cause to be exposed to public view any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign upon which shall have been printed, painted, or otherwise placed, or to which shall be attached, appended, affixed, or annexed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, or drawing, or any advertisement of any nature; or who, within the District of Columbia, shall manufacture, sell, expose for sale, or to public view, or give away or have in possession for sale, or to be given away or for use for any purpose, any article or substance being an article of merchandise, or a receptacle for merchandise or article or thing for carrying or transporting merchandise, upon which shall have been printed, painted, attached, or otherwise placed a representation of any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign, to advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark, or distinguish the article or substance on which so placed shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $100 or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or both, in the discretion of the court. The words 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign', as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:03 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:00 pm
§ 3. Use of flag for advertising purposes; mutilation of flag

Any person who, within the District of Columbia, in any manner, for exhibition or display, shall place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing, or any advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America; or shall expose or cause to be exposed to public view any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign upon which shall have been printed, painted, or otherwise placed, or to which shall be attached, appended, affixed, or annexed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, or drawing, or any advertisement of any nature; or who, within the District of Columbia, shall manufacture, sell, expose for sale, or to public view, or give away or have in possession for sale, or to be given away or for use for any purpose, any article or substance being an article of merchandise, or a receptacle for merchandise or article or thing for carrying or transporting merchandise, upon which shall have been printed, painted, attached, or otherwise placed a representation of any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign, to advertise, call attention to, decorate, mark, or distinguish the article or substance on which so placed shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $100 or by imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or both, in the discretion of the court. The words 'flag, standard, colors, or ensign', as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.
That's not the flag code. That's a DC law (or appears to be so.)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:05 pm That's not the flag code. That's a DC law (or appears to be so.)
Cornell Law School: U.S. Code › Title 4 › Chapter 1 › § 3
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Public Law 77-623
SEC. 4.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard; or used as any portion of a costume or athletic uniform. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Can we agree it's tacky?
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You might get by on the Title 4 reading, but the public law was to cover the entire US.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 pm Can we agree it's tacky?
As long as we can agree that one shouldn't hassle strangers over their fashion choices.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:18 pm
As long as we can agree that one shouldn't hassle strangers over their fashion choices.
Deal.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:18 pm
Deal.
Next person that commands me to stand and/or take off my hat for "God Bless America" is getting decked.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unless of course they are wearing some kind of Trump supporting garb.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 pm
Like a swastika?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:03 pm
Like a swastika?
Enlarge Image

So ya, thought you might like to go to a show...?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 pm Unless of course they are wearing some kind of Trump supporting garb.
Like a swastika?

Forget it Smoove. it's Rip town.

Also, Bah-zinga.

:clap:
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

GreenGoo wrote:
Rip wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:02 pm Unless of course they are wearing some kind of Trump supporting garb.
Like a swastika?

Forget it Smoove. it's Rip town.

Also, Bengh-ah-zinga

:clap:
FTFY

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

:lol:
Was this a poll of elderly white people who only watch Fox News?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I generally don't hassle strangers in public even if wearing MAGA garb. Silenty judge the hell out of them with utter contempt, yes, but that's using the inside voice.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:38 am

I generally don't hassle strangers in public even if wearing MAGA garb. Silenty judge the hell out of them with utter contempt, yes, but that's using the inside voice.
Remember this old Gary Larson cartoon? Replace that last dude with a MAGA hat.

It's a very clear indicator that I want absolutely nothing to do with that person, on any level.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moliere wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 am

:lol:
Was this a poll of elderly white people who only watch Fox News?
While I'd like to say, yeah "New Poll" is about meaningless. There is plenty of reason to be depressed

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/part ... ation.aspx

Gallup says that as of June 42% of Americans of still lean republican and they live in rural states in a heavily gerrymanderred country. All we need to is move a little faster and this tractor will start flying. It's physics, man.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Posting this in this thread because I think there is a direct line here to this Presidency and its ability to abuse loopholes and norms. Something encouraging I'm seeing is that some pundits are starting to finally start talking about the big picture issues with the Constitution. Especially around representation.

[sarcasm]Noted communist[/sarcasm] Norman Ornstein tweeted about the non-representational features of the government last night. It is important because I think people have to get this conversation going. Unless these realities are understood then you can't understand why our government is so off-the-rails. He was one of the first *very serious people* to really start talking about the Republicans abusing norms and being largely responsible for polarization. And he is starting to get at root causes IMO. Hopefully it'll drive more conversation in his circle. It's a good thing potentially.

naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:57 pm The Flag Code language uses the term 'should' for the vast majority of its items.

FAA
We call "must" and "must not" words of obligation. "Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation on your readers to tell them something is mandatory. Also, "must not" are the only words you can use to say something is prohibited. Who says so and why?

Nearly every jurisdiction has held that the word "shall" is confusing because it can also mean "may, will or must." Legal reference books like the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure no longer use the word "shall." Even the Supreme Court ruled that when the word "shall" appears in statutes, it means "may."

Including you should stand for the national anthem :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:38 am

I just do it to Dodger Fans.

Going to disneyland was fun. I made sure I had Giants gear all week.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump claims - for the third time - that he won Wisconsin and Reagan didn't.
President Trump on Thursday repeated for a third time his inaccurate claim that former President Reagan didn’t win the state of Wisconsin during his reelection bid.

“One of the states we won — Wisconsin — I didn’t realize this until fairly recently, that was the one state that Ronald Reagan didn’t win when he ran the board his second time,” Trump said during a press conference after the NATO Summit in Brussels.

“He didn’t win Wisconsin and we won Wisconsin,” he added.

This is the third time that Trump has reiterated the incorrect statement.

Reagan won the state in both 1980 and 1984. Minnesota was the only state he didn’t secure during the 1984 election
All his lies irritate me, but the stupid, petty, easily-disprovable ones like this feel more infuriating, for some reason. Mainly because there's literally no reason to repeat the lie, and anyone with half a brain and access to Google could take two seconds to disprove it...yet not a single Red Hat ever will. They will just take him at his word that winning Wisconsin when Reagan didn't is just further evidence of Dear Leader's greatness.

Just stop. fucking. lying. About every single thing, every goddamn day.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Why would he do that? It appears to be working.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He even says, "I didn't realize this until fairly recently..."

So either he doesn't remember using this lie previously or he is lying about not remembering a lie.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

He also said something like "I love Germany. My father was from Germany."

His grandfather was from Germany. His father was born in New York.

(Oh, and about that grandfather...)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
milo

Post by milo »

Oh, sure. Like Trump knows the difference between Wisconsin and Minnesota.
--milo
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

milo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:52 pm Oh, sure. Like Trump knows the difference between Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Of course he does. Paul Ryan.

It fits his imaginary narrative better that Reagan didn't get Wisconsin and he did.

MYT