For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by malchior »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump must have found out Spicey couldn't speak Russian...
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm shocked.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's a shame that he probably has stacks of NDA's and 'Classified' stamps stuffed in his mouth.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Whats going to happen to Melissa Mccarthy?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Defiant wrote:Whats going to happen to Melissa Mccarthy?
Guess she will go back to making shitty movies. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I wonder what Trump will do when he finds out Scaramucci is pro gun control and is firmly in the climate change is real camp.
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Job security for Trump-related mouthpieces isn't what it used to be.
U.S. President Donald Trump's outside legal team spokesman has resigned amid media reports the team is being reorganized as investigations continue into alleged Russian meddling in the U.S. election and possible collusion with Trump's campaign.

Mark Corallo confirmed his departure on Friday in an emailed statement.

His resignation comes amid reports regarding the role of Marc Kasowitz, Trump's attorney handing the investigation into the Trump campaign's possible ties to Russia.

NBC reported on Friday that Kasowitz was no longer leading the legal team but would remain on board to provide guidance. The New York Times reported late on Thursday that his "role ... will be significantly reduced."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

pr0ner wrote:I wonder what Trump will do when he finds out Scaramucci is pro gun control and is firmly in the climate change is real camp.
I'm sure Scaramucci has already changed his tune about those. The Trump virus infects and corrupts all who contract it.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Octavious wrote:Spice Out!!!!!!!!!!!! Man SNL is losing a lot of content from this move.
They could pull in Dana Carvey to do Scaramucci impersonations.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Looks like we know what we're getting here.
Trump will love this. Scaramucci says he is smart, a good communicator, a brilliant businessman, genuine, a good athlete & more.
Spicer was a professional liar; this guy is a world-class flatterer. He said "I love the president" at least three times, maybe more. He actually said Trump is doing "phenomenally well" in the polls.

But he's the Comms boss, right? Sarah Huckabee Sanders will actually be Press Secretary.

I think they can do her as McCarthy's Spicer in a wig.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

When asked if he would carry on the tradition of propagating falsehoods like the assertion that 3-5 million people voted illegally, Scaramucci said “If the president says it … probably some level of truth” in it.

That's all I need to know. No need to believe anything he says. This job is no longer about conveying accurate information... it's about fluffing the president and making him feel like a good boy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Man, things must be getting really stressful - President Trump is coming to NJ for for three weeks in August to hang out in his Bedminster Golf Club.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

the unraveling is fun...
anyone ready to return an express comment?
Rip.... I'm sure you have 'anything' to defend your deplorable loyalty? anything?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Bets on how long until Scaramucci's title gets changed to Minister of Truth?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Smoove_B wrote:Man, things must be getting really stressful - President Trump is coming to NJ for for three weeks in August to hang out in his Bedminster Golf Club.
"The Senate better stay through the August recess to make sure health care gets fixed right! Good thing I don't have anything to do with that, I'm going on a three week vacation. Nobody knew being President could be so hard!"
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Early start
Enlarge Image

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Except nobody elects the press; might as well flush the 1st amendment.

I'm worried that Trump being so "One of Us" with the lowest common denominator has created a frothing demand for this as a continued blood sport, and that the Congress/Senate won't be interested in shoring up the gaps that have allowed Trump to act so horrifically.

Ethics and Divestment shouldn't be optional for a US President.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm impressed that he used such a large word today. "beleaguered" He must of googled it before he wrote it. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

His continued deflection towards Hillary is the surest sign of guilt yet. He literally has nothing in this world to pin his hopes on other than his brain-dead (actual) fake news believing supporters.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote:His continued deflection towards Hillary is the surest sign of guilt yet. He literally has nothing in this world to pin his hopes on other than his brain-dead (actual) fake news believing supporters.
Oh you mean the ones who actually got him elected to the highest office in the land? Until those core supporters start to waver, I think that's an awful lot to pin his hopes to.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Octavious wrote:I'm impressed that he used such a large word today. "beleaguered" He must of googled it before he wrote it. :lol:
That's a Scaramucci word. Dude is out there earning his wings every day.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote:
Octavious wrote:I'm impressed that he used such a large word today. "beleaguered" He must of googled it before he wrote it. :lol:
I watched the Jake Tapper v. Scaramucci interview from State of the Union yesterday. First time I've watched him, but it sure looks like he's an upgrade for Trump. Much more adept at sparring with Tapper.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Captain Caveman

YellowKing wrote:His continued deflection towards Hillary is the surest sign of guilt yet. He literally has nothing in this world to pin his hopes on other than his brain-dead (actual) fake news believing supporters.
Trump has another "I need a fix" rally in Ohio tomorrow night. It's going to be so pathetic seeing the crowd continue with the "lock her up" chants.
Captain Caveman

Kurth wrote:
Holman wrote:
I watched the Jake Tapper v. Scaramucci interview from State of the Union yesterday. First time I've watched him, but it sure looks like he's an upgrade for Trump. Much more adept at sparring with Tapper.
Watch Scaramucci challenge Obama way back in 2010: https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/ ... 6843990016
Man, I miss that guy.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The electorate that put him in office has already wavered:
Fake News Washington Hoax wrote:
Donald Trump eked his way into the White House last fall on the strength of 78,000 votes in three states. He lost the popular vote by about two percentage points, earning the support of just under 46 percent of voters who cast a ballot.

Since Nov. 8, polling has consistently shown that an even smaller percentage of the country thinks the president is doing a good job. The most recent weekly approval rating average from Gallup, for example, has Trump at 39 percent approval — seven percentage points lower than the support he got at the ballot box.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't speak for the electorate, in general, but I am ashamed to admit that the electorate in Michigan that got him elected that I am aware of have not seen a crack in their support. Every time I wonder is this will be the crack, but every time, they are reflection of Trumps tweets

Hillary did this...
You talk about how horrible x is but these liberals have done this horrible thing...
Democrats ruined health care...
No democrat has supported a single thing this Congress trying to do...

And then strictly of FB the the thought is. "Give it a rest. You keep going after stuff and your wrong."

I assume this reflection of Michigan Trump electors extends at least somewhat throughout the US because Rip is an exact echo of the Trump Voter here. Some being more bold that others, as a bizarre love of the confederate flag is beginning to appear. Now, I don't doubt, somewhere in their heads they don't support Trump, per se, but they will still support him because Hillary! because Pelosi!

And so I wait and hope for that crack. For a sign that they're frustrated. For that recognition that they've been duped but I keep not seeing it and get angry like an ex-smoker around someone lighting up. And I keep not seeing it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Kurth wrote:
That was my impression. He seems a lot more intelligent (OK - glib) than anyone pushed out before him.

That still doesn't mean he's not doing the Devil's business, however.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I couldn't get over the part where Tapper calls him out for his specific comments about Trump and Scaramucci blatantly lied (elegant as it might have been) about it. But I can't stand someone not owning what they said in black and white. I also found it especially creepy as hell that he made those comments that were clearly to Trump. It was surreal - like watching an over the top movie.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Maybe I'm just being naively optimistic, but I look at it this way:

Trump had the following in his favor:
- A much reviled Democratic opponent
- Jill Stein drawing votes away from Clinton
- Disgruntled Bernie fanatics sitting this one out
- Disgruntled Americans of all stripes sitting this one out
- Following a two-term President of the opposing party
- A swing in his favor from blue-collar independents
- Russian collusion

And even then...even with all that....he barely managed to squeak out a victory, even while losing the popular vote.

Unless somehow Trump can magically bring back economic prosperity to the working class, AND avoid all fallout from the Russian scandal, AND prevent any other disastrous fuck-ups in the next three years, AND hope the Democrats put up another candidate as reviled as Hillary, he's one and done. I don't care how many Fox News Facebook friends he has.

And that's assuming he even serves out his first term, which I highly doubt.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Democrats ruined health care...
I'm curious what made the halcyon days before the ACA so halcyon. Do Trumpsters remember a mythical golden age of cheap insurance and stable prices?
YellowKing wrote:
Unless somehow Trump can magically bring back economic prosperity to the working class, AND avoid all fallout from the Russian scandal, AND prevent any other disastrous fuck-ups in the next three years, AND hope the Democrats put up another candidate as reviled as Hillary, he's one and done. I don't care how many Fox News Facebook friends he has.
Irrespective of whatever tax and budget policies the Republicans manage to impose upon us, we are overdue for an ordinary business-cycle recession. Whether it's two months or two years away, it's sure to land during Trump's watch, and he will take heat for it, as presidents always do. That alone will turn some percentage of the Trumpelos.

If they succeed in screwing over the healthcare sector this week, that recession will begin with a good old-fashioned panic just days or weeks from now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:
I'm curious what made the halcyon days before the ACA so halcyon. Do Trumpsters remember a mythical golden age of cheap insurance and stable prices?
You make it look like I am saying that. My personal belief is that democrats put a bandage on a coronary rupture and claim to have fixed health care.

Really, I got nothing when it comes to this belief. Somehow the people I hear think that costs are only going through the roof since the ACA and that this had the exact cause of the democrats making the working class pay for illegal immigrant health care across the board through medicaid at the cost of their own healthcare rates.
Kraken wrote:If they succeed in screwing over the healthcare sector this week, that recession will begin with a good old-fashioned panic just days or weeks from now.

I thought the current plan is to announce its repeal now but to actually repeal in two years, so as not to screw over elections and kick the can down the road... Of course this would result in even more exchange failures, allowing the R's to proclaim a bigger failure of the exchanges...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:
You make it look like I am saying that. My personal belief is that democrats put a bandage on a coronary rupture and claim to have fixed health care.

Really, I got nothing when it comes to this belief. Somehow the people I hear think that costs are only going through the roof since the ACA and that this had the exact cause of the democrats making the working class pay for illegal immigrant health care across the board through medicaid at the cost of their own healthcare rates.
I meant to ask what the Trumpelos think. I struggle to understand their alien world.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote:Maybe I'm just being naively optimistic, but I look at it this way:

Trump had the following in his favor:
- A much reviled Democratic opponent
- Jill Stein drawing votes away from Clinton
- Disgruntled Bernie fanatics sitting this one out
- Disgruntled Americans of all stripes sitting this one out
- Following a two-term President of the opposing party
- A swing in his favor from blue-collar independents
- Russian collusion

And even then...even with all that....he barely managed to squeak out a victory, even while losing the popular vote.

And that's assuming he even serves out his first term, which I highly doubt.

All it takes is one mass shooter to walk across the southern border or a bomb on a plane from Europe and the Executive branch is god.

And with Putin giving us tips on how to deal with domestic terrorism, what could possibly go wrong [for Trump]?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:
YellowKing wrote:
Irrespective of whatever tax and budget policies the Republicans manage to impose upon us, we are overdue for an ordinary business-cycle recession. Whether it's two months or two years away, it's sure to land during Trump's watch, and he will take heat for it, as presidents always do. That alone will turn some percentage of the Trumpelos.

If they succeed in screwing over the healthcare sector this week, that recession will begin with a good old-fashioned panic just days or weeks from now.
I don't think we're overdue. I think we're due at some point in the next year or 2, but all it would take is one catastrophe (not even market related) to send things spiraling.

As an example, another middle east war (starting in Qatar?) which pulls in the western powers, or something stupid out of North Korea, etc.

The markets are in good shape for now, but the foundation is not solid, and the weakening of Dodd-Frank isn't going to help, nor would a GOP assault on Obamacare without fixes - one race to the bottom will cause others, IMHO.

Oh, and a massive tax cut (via health care and tax reform) will only make the house of cards fall further after an initial boom (and cost us more in the inevitable bailout - probably in 2021, because I have no faith in Trump or Pence or McConnell or Ryan to be able to address another financial collapse appropriately). In terms of actual macroeconomic policy, they should actually be raising taxes on those in sectors benefiting from the market boom, and using that money to pay down the deficit/debt for the next time.

In other words, the exact opposite of what they plan to do. Which is why I have such a low opinion of them and their ability to respond to another financial crisis. If they are too blind to get it right now when things are easy, what will they do when things get tough?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Today Trump is addressing the annual Boy Scout Jamboree. Since he only knows how to give one speech, he's turning it into a political rally about hating his enemies and the need to Kill Obamacare.

As a former scout, all I can say is Fuck That Fascist Noise.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Watching Trump address Boy Scout Jamboree. Said at beginning that he wouldn't bring politics into his speech. So couple minutes in he talks about repealing Obamacare. Scouts start chanting USA! USA! And now he talks about the loyalty of Boy Scouts and how we can use more loyalty. Scouts chant Make America Great Again! Very, umm late 1930s Germany. Also whining about fake news and how they will lie about crowd size.

Oh shit now he called out Obama for not coming to a jamboree. Will have to check that...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lest we forget, Trump has a long history with the Boy Scouts. https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/ ... 4953117700
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tgb

Post by tgb »

Can you get a merit badge for tweeting?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:
I meant to ask what the Trumpelos think. I struggle to understand their alien world.
They think Trump will Fix The Bad because he's a genius businessman who can cut through the crap, but mainly health care somehow doesn't really matter because they've been fine so far, and anyway Trump hates the people they hate.