The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:03 pm Apparently there were not just your average run of the mill asshole, they were Qanon assholes.
WaPo
QAnon adherents encourage those seeking the truth to “follow the White Rabbit,” but it’s hard to hop down this hole without getting totally lost in their horrorland. The simplest description of the plot line goes something like this: President Trump isn’t under investigation; he is only pretending to be, as part of a countercoup to restore power to the people after more than a century of governmental control by a globalist cabal. Also, there are pedophiles.

A figure named “Q,” who supposedly possesses Q-level security clearance, disperses “crumbs” that “bakers” bring together to create a “dough” of synthesized information. (This is not how baking works, but that seems the least of our worries.) Because Q is the 17th letter in the alphabet and 17 is also a number Trump has said a few times, among other clearly-not-coincidences, he is the real deal, not an Internet troll engaged in an elaborate example of live-action role-play.
Now that it’s clear that what starts on the fringe doesn’t stay there, it is a real concern. QAnon’s lurch from online to off hasn’t manifested only in T-shirted ralliers wielding weird signs. Last week, a “baker” appeared outside Michael Avenatti’s office because Q sent him there. Others have started searching for child sex camps in the desert outside Tucson. A man in an armored truck blocked a bridge near the Hoover Dam demanding the release of a report that Q claimed the government was withholding. He had two guns.

What’s scariest of all, though, might be what motivates Trump’s base to believe in so byzantine a conspiracy. QAnon isn’t your average story of all-powerful actors exercising complete control over a helpless populace. This time, the heroes are already in charge and, still, the theorists see themselves as victims. Why, even with their man in the Oval Office, do they feel embattled?

One explanation has to do with the on-the-ground reality of this presidency. Perhaps the men and women who buy into this gibberish aren’t so confident that they’re in charge at all. The special counsel looks ever closer to proving ties between Trump and Russia and, in the meantime, Trump appears more erratic. If he really is under investigation and not just pretending to be, all his supporters’ hopes evaporate.
The “forgotten men and women of our country” didn’t stop feeling forgotten when their self-proclaimed avatar walked into the White House. There was too much dissent, too much doubt cast on his (and, by extension, their) legitimacy and ability to lead. Now, they’ll only be assuaged by the destruction of everything and everyone that stands in their way, through the mass arrest of those who they say connived against them and the installation of a state filled only with loyalists.

That’s what QAnon followers really want, after all. That’s where their “storm” motto comes from. Most Americans were puzzled when, in a meeting with military leaders months ago, Trump said, “You know what this represents? Maybe it’s the calm before the storm.” But these theorists thought they knew exactly what he was talking about. Trump was pointing at the officers’ uniforms.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

These particular assholes are going to get someone (or someones) killed.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And he's happy to have them. I"m sure they're "good people".
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:52 pm Not yet available at shop.donaldjtrump.com.
They are now, and sold out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm These particular assholes are going to get someone (or someones) killed.
I'd really love to see a concerted effort to prank these idiots. It shouldn't be difficult as gullible as they are.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm These particular assholes are going to get someone (or someones) killed.
I'd really love to see a concerted effort to prank these idiots. It shouldn't be difficult as gullible as they are.
I rather doubt I'd want to prank them. My assumption is that this a generation of script kiddies that grew up to be angry hackers with no skills other than the ones it takes to wage anonymous wars to ruin lives over the Internet.

Unless you mean the people they attract, like the people at the rally. I'd fear they are also too dangerous to prank until such a time as they don't feel invulnerable as long the ihr fuhrer is in power.

Going down the rabbit hole, having never heard of them until this thread...

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/cou ... n-letters/

https://www.reddit.com/r/greatawakening ... eep_state/

What's that about reasonable people following Alex Jones?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Haven't had a Trump rally AAR in a while. Please do enjoy, written from the perspective of a "undercover" NJ news reporter.
"Remember when I referred to MS-13 as animals," asked Trump. "They are animals!"

Wild applause ensue.

"The only thing they understand--" said Trump.

An African American woman in a blue MAGA T-shirt interjected loudly, screaming "is a bullet in the head!"

Even more cheering follows this.
According to social media, the father of one of my daughter's friends was there last night - he has all kinds of pictures of himself at the rally, blasted out to all his followers. I've known this guy (socially) for over a decade and he's just revealing himself to be a vocal Trump supporter now. I feel gross.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Enough

Post by Enough »

I'm going to guess a lot of these jokers were also embroiled in Gamersgate as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 pm
I rather doubt I'd want to prank them. My assumption is that this a generation of script kiddies that grew up to be angry hackers with no skills other than the ones it takes to wage anonymous wars to ruin lives over the Internet.

Unless you mean the people they attract, like the people at the rally. I'd fear they are also too dangerous to prank until such a time as they don't feel invulnerable as long the ihr fuhrer is in power.
I was referring to the devotees. Come to think of it, maybe Q is already pranking them.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:According to social media, the father of one of my daughter's friends was there last night - he has all kinds of pictures of himself at the rally, blasted out to all his followers. I've known this guy (socially) for over a decade and he's just revealing himself to be a vocal Trump supporter now. I feel gross.
Ewww.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

em2nought wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 am What an @ss, how dare he? :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ERcDicclo
Completely agree, he IS an ass. And a lot more.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 pm
em2nought wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:44 am What an @ss, how dare he? :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ERcDicclo
Completely agree, he IS an ass. And a lot more.
It's positively not Presidential I tell ya, consorting with the common riff raff like us, really? :roll:

#WalkAway
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow. Trump is obviously the only President in the long history of US leaders to make such a noble, selfless gesture...like stopping his motorcade.

:roll:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized. It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!
He literally thinks the CA fires are so bad because they're actively dumping the water needed to fight them into the ocean instead of using it to fight the fire.

Stable genius, indeed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:11 pm
California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized. It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!
He literally thinks the CA fires are so bad because they're actively dumping the water needed to fight them into the ocean instead of using it to fight the fire.

Stable genius, indeed.
I think it's more likely that he's trying to use the fires as a pretense to obliterate water and wilderness protection laws/regs. Or perhaps more accurately someone who wants to obliterate water and wilderness protection has convinced him of this ridiculous bullshit.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:

Stable genius, indeed.
I think it's more likely that he's trying to use the fires as a pretense to obliterate water and wilderness protection laws/regs. Or perhaps more accurately someone who wants to obliterate water and wilderness protection has convinced him of this ridiculous bullshit.
If there were less trees we would have less forest fires.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 am

Stable genius, indeed.
Yeah, a lot of this is his pea brain spitting out random pieces of information that were told to him, mostly by self-interested parties.

To be fair, though, water use laws out west *are* bonkers and terrible, but they're not dumping water into the ocean, and it doesn't have much to do with the forest fires.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Actually, they are dumping water into the Pacific. They're called rivers. If we dry up the rivers before they reach the mouths, that's free real estate!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 am Actually, they are dumping water into the Pacific. They're called rivers. If we dry up the rivers before they reach the mouths, that's free real estate!
I thought those were extinct in CA due to growing monsoon crops in a desert.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:56 am
Lewis Carroll wrote: ‘Contrariwise,’ continued Tweetledum, ‘if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.’
FTFY
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 am Actually, they are dumping water into the Pacific. They're called rivers. If we dry up the rivers before they reach the mouths, that's free real estate!
"Dumping water into the Pacific" is basically a core talking point for lobbyists opposed to California water management plans. See here (emphasis added):
The problem is that flushing water through the system and out to sea is exactly what officials have done for more than 25 years to no effect – fish have continued to decline. All the board is doing is doubling down on the same unsuccessful strategy.
See, the problem is that we haven't restricted river flows enough!

That op-ed also includes the wise observation, "There's no question fish need water." So insightful.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I figured it was a dog whistle of some sort.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm
Not if Anonymous can help it.
The anarchist hacking group slammed the QAnon conspiracy as potentially dangerous and driven by a “brainless political agenda” in a video posted Sunday to what is widely considered the most reliable Anonymous Twitter account.

“We will not sit idly by while you take advantage of the misinformed and poorly educated,” the group said in the video, which was posted with the hashtags #OpQ and #OpQAnon.

The video claims that Anonymous “knew who was responsible for Q” and thought it was funny at first. However, the group now believes the conspiracy theory has gone too far.

“Someone is going to get hurt, so we have to put our foot down and start some shit with you all,” the group said in the video.

Seriously, tell someone 15 years ago that Anonymous would be fighting Qanon on the front line of American democracy. You would be talking gibberish.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:53 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm
Not if Anonymous can help it.
The anarchist hacking group slammed the QAnon conspiracy as potentially dangerous and driven by a “brainless political agenda” in a video posted Sunday to what is widely considered the most reliable Anonymous Twitter account.

“We will not sit idly by while you take advantage of the misinformed and poorly educated,” the group said in the video, which was posted with the hashtags #OpQ and #OpQAnon.

The video claims that Anonymous “knew who was responsible for Q” and thought it was funny at first. However, the group now believes the conspiracy theory has gone too far.

“Someone is going to get hurt, so we have to put our foot down and start some shit with you all,” the group said in the video.
Are they likely to actually do something, and if so is anything they do likely to be effective?
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Q is going to bust this mess wide open.........

So many Qs and so little time......
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 pm Wow. Trump is obviously the only President in the long history of US leaders to make such a noble, selfless gesture...like stopping his motorcade.

:roll:

don't read the youtube comments.... holy shit.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:03 pm Q is going to bust this mess wide open.........

So many Qs and so little time......
You do love your conspiracy theories, don't you? :ninja:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Time for a game! Who said it?
"If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous.

"Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms."
Spoiler:
It was Pence, writing about then President Clinton.
Times sure have changed, eh?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If you and I fall into bad moral habits, we can harm our families, our employers and our friends. The President of the United States can incinerate the planet. Seriously, the very idea that we ought to have at or less than the same moral demands placed on the Chief Executive that we place on our next door neighbor is ludicrous and dangerous.

"Throughout our history, we have seen the presidency as the repository of all of our highest hopes and ideals and values. To demand less is to do an injustice to the blood that bought our freedoms.****
***only valid when a Democrat is POTUS
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m a huge fan of Pence’s role as Two Face in the Batman movies.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

is there is difference between what The sitting president does on a regular basis and what Musk did today? Are we entering yet another new normal?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Musk actually builds stuff, as opposed to playing golf and putting kids into concentration camps?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:06 pm is there is difference between what The sitting president does on a regular basis and what Musk did today? Are we entering yet another new normal?

This is a little weird, especially including the share price.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Used to be called pump and dump. Now it's winning.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC
The Trump administration is hitting Russia with new sanctions punishing President Vladimir Putin's government for using a chemical weapon against an ex-spy in Britain, U.S. officials told NBC News Wednesday.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo signed off on a determination that Russia violated international law by poisoning the former spy, Sergei Skripal, and his daughter in March, officials said, a decision that was announced Wednesday afternoon by State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert.
The decision could bolster President Donald Trump's claim that despite the noise of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian election meddling, which Trump has called a "witch hunt," his administration has been tough on Moscow in practice and has hit hard when needed.

But Trump had to be nudged by Congress into unleashing the penalties after blowing more than a month past a statutory deadline. The government had two months after a formal congressional request in March for Trump to determine whether Russia had violated international law. After the deadline came and went with no response, Trump was called out in late July by House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce, NBC News first reported.
The sanctions are structured in two tranches, laid out in a 1991 law, the Chemical and Biological Weapons and Warfare Elimination Act. An initial, immediate round limits exports and financing but may have limited impact, because it largely overlaps with other restrictions already in place, such as on selling arms to Russia.

The biggest impact from the initial sanctions is expected to come from a ban on granting licenses to export sensitive national security goods to Russia, which in the past have included items like electronic devices and components, along with test and calibration equipment for avionics. Prior to the sanctions, such exports were allowed on a case-by-case basis.

That new prohibition could cut off hundreds of millions of dollars in future exports to Russia, said a senior State Department official.

A second, more painful round kicks in three months later unless Russia provides "reliable assurances" that it won't use chemical weapons in the future and agrees to "on-site inspections" by the U.N. — conditions unlikely to be met. The second round of sanctions could include downgrading diplomatic relations, suspending state airline Aeroflot's ability to fly to the U.S, and cutting off nearly all exports and imports.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:57 pm NBC
The Trump administration is hitting Russia with new sanctions punishing President Vladimir Putin's government for using a chemical weapon against an ex-spy in Britain, U.S. officials told NBC News Wednesday.

A second, more painful round kicks in three months later unless Russia provides "reliable assurances" that it won't use chemical weapons in the future and agrees to "on-site inspections" by the U.N. — conditions unlikely to be that the Trump administration is likely to pretend have been met. The second round of sanctions could include downgrading diplomatic relations, suspending state airline Aeroflot's ability to fly to the U.S, and cutting off nearly all exports and imports.
Mortoned.

NBC News is so adorable sometimes.
Black Lives Matter.