The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 pmPretty much. I never thought entertaining that possibility would be a thing.
As they pointed out in the article, once McConnell just simply refused to hear the nomination of a Supreme Court Justice - and nothing happened - we turned a corner. The idea that a single person could do that is unfathomable to me. And look at the world we live in a year later. It's beyond reason.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exactly. The abuse of power they've openly shown means history is not going to be kind to the GOP. Assuming they don't get around to banning people writing the truth about it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've long since held McConnell as the biggest piece of shit in Congress and that's an impressive title. His treachery spans Decades. Ultimately, I can easily consider him a proximate cause for being the worst thing to happen to the US in lifetime.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:11 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 am Can I say how mad I am at Warren for spreading this rigging nonsense? It wasn't 'rigged'. Even Brazile, in her article, while she includes lots of drama and loaded language, says in her article (/book excerpt) that she did a thorough digging and didn't find any evidence of skewed decision making or really any actual rigging. The bombshell, such as it is, is that the fundraising agreement (which was reported on at the time, and which Sanders had complained about during the campaign) may have given Clinton some control over the DNC organization earlier than is normal during a campaign, but there's no evidence that the DNC did (or perhaps even could) do anything to actually influence or alter the outcome of the primaries.

Well done, Warren.
Typical Warren. I just don't like her.
Typical.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's also pretty rich of Brazile to write a book about "hacks" putting Trump into the White House while this is also a thing:

She really nailed Gore's campaign in 2000 as well, I might add.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So, who thought it was a good idea for Trump to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial just before visiting Japan? What could possibly go wrong?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 pm So, who thought it was a good idea for Trump to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial just before visiting Japan? What could possibly go wrong?
"Not many people know that the IJN took the Dem navy completely by surprise. Amazing work! Made crippled Lame Franklin look like a chump. Sad!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm thinking he brings up the "cowardly sneak attack" at an inappropriate time and demands Japan buy us a new navy or something.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The White House on Saturday disparaged the legacies of the only two living Republican presidents to precede Donald Trump, after reports that both men castigated Trump in interviews last year and refused to vote for him.

Former president George H.W. Bush mocked then-candidate Trump as a “blowhard” and voted for a Democratic president, while the younger Bush worried aloud that Trump would destroy the idea of a Republican president in all but name, according to “The Last Republicans,” which is scheduled to go on sale later this month.

The White House responded after quotes from the book were published on Saturday, entering an extraordinary war of words involving three presidents from the same party.

“If one Presidential candidate can disassemble a political party, it speaks volumes about how strong a legacy its past two presidents really had,” the White House wrote to CNN. It called the younger Bush's decision to wage war on Iraq “one of the greatest foreign policy mistakes in American history.”
As he watched Trump's campaign, the younger Bush feared he — Bush — would “be the last Republican president,” said the author, who founded the National Medal of Honor Museum this year, after several years as director of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum.

“And it wasn't just about Hillary Clinton becoming president,” he said. “It was because Donald Trump represented everything that the Bushes abhorred.”

Trump stood for rudeness, international isolationism and weak leadership in the eyes of the Bushes, according to Updegrove — reservations echoed by many establishment Republicans. In September, George W. Bush gave speech in which he didn't mention Trump but lamented these same vices — and politics that “seems more vulnerable to conspiracy theories and outright fabrication.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:47 pm WaPo
“If one Presidential candidate can disassemble a political party, it speaks volumes about how strong a legacy its past two presidents really had,” the White House wrote to CNN. It called the younger Bush's decision to wage war on Iraq “one of the greatest foreign policy mistakes in American history.”
It wasn't too long ago that that kind of talk meant you were objectively pro-terrorist.

We should ask Sean Hannity about it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 pm I'm thinking he brings up the "cowardly sneak attack" at an inappropriate time and demands Japan buy us a new navy or something.
Well, there's this...
U.S. President Donald Trump has said Japan should have shot down the North Korean missiles that flew over the country before landing in the Pacific Ocean earlier this year, diplomatic sources have said, despite the difficulties and potential ramifications of doing so.

[...]

The U.S. president said he could not understand why a country of samurai warriors did not shoot down the missiles, the sources said.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because they're using out hand-me-down tech, maybe?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Or because Samurai used swords and not patriot missiles?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm picturing this, but with a samurai warrior.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 pm I'm thinking he brings up the "cowardly sneak attack" at an inappropriate time and demands Japan buy us a new navy or something.
Well, there's this...
U.S. President Donald Trump has said Japan should have shot down the North Korean missiles that flew over the country before landing in the Pacific Ocean earlier this year, diplomatic sources have said, despite the difficulties and potential ramifications of doing so.

[...]

The U.S. president said he could not understand why a country of samurai warriors did not shoot down the missiles, the sources said.

There's no way he actually said that.

*reads article*

OH COME ON!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I guess Trump is pretty jealous now that he can't just purge people who disagree with him all Saudi style.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, we have our own Neville Chamberlain.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:15 pm Cool, we have our own Neville Chamberlain.
Even better a Neville Chamberlain who wishes he was Hitler! A two-fer!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope we get video of Trump performing for Putin like Marilyn did for JFK.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So part of Trump's speech about Japan shooting down misses went somthing like, "Once he [Abe] purchases and installs the antimissile system..."

He's a goddamn salesman. I mean great for NOC and BA and whomever but what the hell? An ally's ability to defend themselves from a nuclear threat is dependent on their up-front purchase? What a dick.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

link
Trump wrote:Getting ready to make a major speech to the National Assembly here in South Korea, then will be headed to China where I very much look forward to meeting with President Xi who is just off his great political victory.
WTF? "Political victory"?

Either Trump
(a) believes China actually has free elections, or
(b) is congratulating Xi on his recent elevation by the Party to Mao-like levels of autocratic authority.

WTF???
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump confuses China with numerous other countries on a daily basis. Last week he sent out happy birthday wishes to their pope.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's one of those situations where you hope it's the result of Trump's idiocy rather than his malevolence.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a great code name for Trump......AgentOrange . They're both the same color so easy to remember and they both cause cancer.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 pm link
Trump wrote:Getting ready to make a major speech to the National Assembly here in South Korea, then will be headed to China where I very much look forward to meeting with President Xi who is just off his great political victory.
WTF? "Political victory"?

Either Trump
(a) believes China actually has free elections, or
(b) is congratulating Xi on his recent elevation by the Party to Mao-like levels of autocratic authority.

WTF???
He only wishes he had an obedient Politburo to enforce his will and give him the adoration he truly deserves.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And, Korea DMZ appearance canceled due to weather. Must have been super-important.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm It's one of those situations where you hope it's the result of Trump's idiocy rather than his malevolence.
The most likely explanation is that he is saying nice things about Xi because he believes that will lead to Xi saying/doing nice things for him. The world's best negotiator, in action.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm It's one of those situations where you hope it's the result of Trump's idiocy rather than his malevolence.
The most likely explanation is that he is saying nice things about Xi because he believes that will lead to Xi saying/doing nice things for him. The world's best negotiator, in action.
I remember when presidents in public spoke for the United States and its standards and values.

It's the same as his praise for the Saudi sham judicial coup and purge. Of course that one has the added bonus of Jared being sent to do Trump-family foreign policy without any interference from the State Department.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

An interesting/horrifying look at why nothing Trump does will sway the true believers.
Joey Del Signore still loves Trump. “Everybody I talk to,” he said, “realizes it’s not Trump who’s dragging his feet. Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did.”

I stopped him, informing him that, yes, Barack Obama liked to golf, but Trump in fact does golf a lot, too—more, in fact.

Del Signore was surprised to hear this.

“Does he?” he said.

“Yes,” I said.

He did not linger on this topic, smiling and changing the subject with a quip. “If I was married to his wife,” Del Signore said, “I don’t think I’d go anywhere.”

He added: “Some of these things are like that thing he said to Billy, Billy Bob, Billy Bud”—searching, unsuccessfully, for the name Billy Bush—“on the bus, that comment he made.” Del Signore shrugged. “He’s a human male. I’m glad he wasn’t saying, ‘Hey, I like little boys.’ You know? So he’s not perfect.”

Del Signore said he’s been following politics far more than before because of Trump. Trump, he said, is just “more interesting.” So now he likes watching the news. “Ninety-nine percent of the time I watch Fox,” he said. “Sometimes I’ll be sitting there listening to all this Fox stuff, and I’ll say, ‘Maybe they aren’t right, maybe I’ll flip to CNN’—but every time I’ve found that Fox has been correct, and CNN is definitely fake news.”

A Catholic whose wife goes to church every Sunday, whereas he, “shame on me,” does not, Del Signore told me toward the end of our lunch that some people at church told his wife that Obama is the antichrist. “She comes home and tells me these things that they tell you in church,” he said. I asked him whether that’s what he thinks. “I don’t know,” he said. “Some people say that.”

If Obama, I asked, is the antichrist—whose arrival is said to precede the second coming of Christ—what would that make Trump?

“The savior?” Del Signore suggested.

Not even Trump, though, can stop what’s coming, he added. “Just looking around, and putting two and two together, a little bit of business savvy, a little bit of street savvy, a little common sense, a little bit of education, you kind of deduct different things,” he told me. “I think we’re going to see the end of the world in our generation.”
Yep, we're fucked.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

All of sudden anti-trust is an issue in the AT&T merger and word is they were told specifically to sell DirectTV *or* specifically the parent unit of CNN. Certainly looks retaliatory as hell. The business world might have just had a shot fired across its bow.

Edit: I wasn't a fan of this deal anyway - I think media consolidation is part of the cause of our extraordinarily compliant and vacuous media but this certainly doesn't look to be some principled decision. Maybe it is principled but this administration has deservedly earned extreme skepticism about its decisions.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

skinypupy wrote:Yep, we're fucked.
I'm still optimistic. Just look at the recent election results. Sane people outnumber these fuck nuts, and will prevail. Fool me once, shame on , shame on you, fool me - won't get fooled again.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm All of sudden anti-trust is an issue in the AT&T merger and word is they were told specifically to sell DirectTV *or* specifically the parent unit of CNN. Certainly looks retaliatory as hell. The business world might have just had a shot fired across its bow.

Edit: I wasn't a fan of this deal anyway - I think media consolidation is part of the cause of our extraordinarily compliant and vacuous media but this certainly doesn't look to be some principled decision. Maybe it is principled but this administration has deservedly earned extreme skepticism about its decisions.
Not really sure what to make of this. DOJ demanding divestments in a merger isn't unusual by itself. What's potentially questionable here is that since this is a vertical merger, antitrust concerns are typically less (at least, in general mainstream antitrust analysis), so blocking the deal in court would be a tough task for DOJ, making this a fairly aggressive stance. I do think that there has been more discussion lately about whether vertical mergers should receive more antitrust scrutiny than they have in the past, though, so while this would be aggressive, it's not obviously crazy. Trump's repeated threats to use antitrust as a weapon against opponents combined with this being fairly aggressive does raise red flags, though, to be sure. But then DOJ Antitrust staffers as a rule probably don't like Trump very much at all, so an order coming down from on high to the effect of "block this merger unless they divest CNN / Time Warner" would have a high chance of getting leaked.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hmmmm

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 pm Not really sure what to make of this. DOJ demanding divestments in a merger isn't unusual by itself. What's potentially questionable here is that since this is a vertical merger, antitrust concerns are typically less (at least, in general mainstream antitrust analysis), so blocking the deal in court would be a tough task for DOJ, making this a fairly aggressive stance. I do think that there has been more discussion lately about whether vertical mergers should receive more antitrust scrutiny than they have in the past, though, so while this would be aggressive, it's not obviously crazy. Trump's repeated threats to use antitrust as a weapon against opponents combined with this being fairly aggressive does raise red flags, though, to be sure. But then DOJ Antitrust staffers as a rule probably don't like Trump very much at all, so an order coming down from on high to the effect of "block this merger unless they divest CNN / Time Warner" would have a high chance of getting leaked.
The anti-trust folks are definitely not Trump people. I am separated from many by < 3 degrees fwiw but these decisions generally have a very small loop so lack of leaking wouldn't shock me. I have been told there was reason to believe that extreme political interference in other anti-trust decisions in the past never got leaked (cough cough Whirlpool/Maytag). Anyhow these decisions are more political than they should be but that is of little surprise considering the money involved. :)

My ultimate problem here is that we just simply can't trust that this is not a sham. In a way though that is almost a universal problem now. The people they have around them are shady as fuck and we can't trust them. Not a great way to govern.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:29 pm
Judge Throws Out Conviction Of Woman Who Laughed At Jeff Sessions

"Instead of sentencing a woman to jail time for laughing during Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing, a D.C. judge threw out the woman's conviction and called for a new trial."
DOJ drops prosecution:
Desiree Ali-Fairooz was scheduled to stand for her second trial on Nov. 13 after being arrested for what appeared to be laughing during Attorney General Jeff Sessions' confirmation hearing in January. Ali-Fairooz tweeted she had received notice that her case was being dropped on Monday afternoon.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:29 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 pm Not really sure what to make of this. DOJ demanding divestments in a merger isn't unusual by itself. What's potentially questionable here is that since this is a vertical merger, antitrust concerns are typically less (at least, in general mainstream antitrust analysis), so blocking the deal in court would be a tough task for DOJ, making this a fairly aggressive stance. I do think that there has been more discussion lately about whether vertical mergers should receive more antitrust scrutiny than they have in the past, though, so while this would be aggressive, it's not obviously crazy. Trump's repeated threats to use antitrust as a weapon against opponents combined with this being fairly aggressive does raise red flags, though, to be sure. But then DOJ Antitrust staffers as a rule probably don't like Trump very much at all, so an order coming down from on high to the effect of "block this merger unless they divest CNN / Time Warner" would have a high chance of getting leaked.
The anti-trust folks are definitely not Trump people. I am separated from many by < 3 degrees fwiw but these decisions generally have a very small loop so lack of leaking wouldn't shock me. I have been told there was reason to believe that extreme political interference in other anti-trust decisions in the past never got leaked (cough cough Whirlpool/Maytag). Anyhow these decisions are more political than they should be but that is of little surprise considering the money involved. :)

My ultimate problem here is that we just simply can't trust that this is not a sham. In a way though that is almost a universal problem now. The people they have around them are shady as fuck and we can't trust them. Not a great way to govern.
Sis quit ATT on Friday. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Sis quit ATT on Friday. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :shock:
I didn't even want to get into that considering how high up in the org she was involved in the merger. :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, it's hard to really know whether this is fundamentally political or not, but it sure looks ugly. Though if you're DOJ staff and you think that a divestment is the right answer, you're not going to not threaten to block it just because Trump ran his mouth off. Of course, ideally Trump would just keep his goddamn trap shut.

Side note: I joined the law firm that represented Whirlpool in their merger not long after the Whirlpool / Maytag merger review. While I was not there during the review, evidently all the lawyers at the firm assumed from the get-go that DOJ would sue to block the merger (since the combined market share was so astronomical). They were completely stunned when DOJ did not sue.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:48 pm Side note: I joined the law firm that represented Whirlpool in their merger not long after the Whirlpool / Maytag merger review. While I was not there during the review, evidently all the lawyers at the firm assumed from the get-go that DOJ would sue to block the merger (since the combined market share was so astronomical). They were completely stunned when DOJ did not sue.
That merger in particular and the machinations within are why I can't discount that the WH or the AG weren't directly involved in the decision on this. :ninja:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Actually, Trump's probably going to tweet about how he told DOJ / Sessions to block the merger because of Fake News CNN within a week.
Black Lives Matter.