Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes, that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 pm Why is it such a terrible thought then? I don't get it.
I don't have an answer. Maybe it's because we are all vulnerable bags of meat and it could all change on a dime.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's sort of the equivalent of hiring a college intern with no experience to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company. He comes in and fucks everything up because he has no experience, hires all of his dorm buddies, passes insane policies and spends half of every day playing Xbox. He spends all his time on social media tweeting shitty things about half of his shareholders. And the other half are just shrugging their shoulders and going "Well kids will be kids."

Even when you kick that kid out the door, how do you recover from that? The precedent has been set.

Trump doesn't scare me, because his incompetence somewhat mitigates his damage. I fear the next Trump - the one with an actual IQ, who knows how to exploit the political cracks that Trump exploited, but in a way that's not self-destructive.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:35 pm Trump doesn't scare me, because his incompetence somewhat mitigates his damage. I fear the next Trump - the one with an actual IQ, who knows how to exploit the political cracks that Trump exploited, but in a way that's not self-destructive.
Predicting Trump's untimely demise does not necessarily mean that I'm rooting for it (although sometimes I do). You nailed the reason for that. The GOP will look for another outsized personality, another great leader. Some of the contenders will compete to out-Trump Trump. Imagine if Republicans rally behind someone just as horrible, but with an actual political agenda and the brains to carry it out. Imagine if Trump is an anti-John the Baptist figure paving the way for an anti-Christ figure.

You know what? Let's not imagine that. I'm sure that sanity and moderation will prevail when he is gone.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can't help but agree. The American people voted in an obvious two bit conman with zero talents except riling people up.

God help you if you get a smarter, wiser, more experienced cynic willing to exploit peoples' weaknesses for personal gain. Public opinion used to keep those people in check. The hint of an affair was enough to derail any of them. Now? All bets are off. Affairs? What an enviable playah. I like to fuck, too. Tax fraud? Smart guy. Racist, bigoted fear mongering shitmouth? Telling it like it is. All former obstacles are gone.

I take some consolation in the fact that Drumpf cashed in a lifetime of self promotion and propaganda to win over the American people. They had been specifically conditioned by the media and drumpf himself regarding his artificial persona. That's a LOT of investment, but it paid off. There really isn't anyone out there or ever will be again with that kind of time investment in the cult of his own personality, which the media actively participating in creating. Hell, I knew what he was and still watched the Apprentice because it was fun entertainment for awhile. Others bought the message hook, line and sinker, because the apprentice messaging was just the latest in a long, decades long line of propaganda and self promotion. No politician has the time or energy or even money to be that narcissistic and start their messaging so early. Drumpf is practically a perfect storm and hopefully that only nets him a single term.

Will we go back to the norms that were? maybe not. But I don't think the American people will ever be fooled to this degree again. Many billionaires have tried, but only one of them has succeeded, and that's because he was "special" but not in a good way. There just isn't the opportunity for most politicians to create that much self promotion with that much impact over that many years, not to mention that most media wouldn't have aided and abetted a politician in the same way they did with the golden boy of NY real estate (which is itself a lie that the media helped create).

So...I think your concerns are valid but I hope that I'm right about the perfect storm scenario.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:56 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:35 pm Trump doesn't scare me, because his incompetence somewhat mitigates his damage. I fear the next Trump - the one with an actual IQ, who knows how to exploit the political cracks that Trump exploited, but in a way that's not self-destructive.
Predicting Trump's untimely demise does not necessarily mean that I'm rooting for it (although sometimes I do). You nailed the reason for that. The GOP will look for another outsized personality, another great leader. Some of the contenders will compete to out-Trump Trump. Imagine if Republicans rally behind someone just as horrible, but with an actual political agenda and the brains to carry it out. Imagine if Trump is an anti-John the Baptist figure paving the way for an anti-Christ figure.

You know what? Let's not imagine that. I'm sure that sanity and moderation will prevail when he is gone.
Drumpf won because he was a fear mongering hate monger, and, apparently, so are many Americans. But people listened to him in the first place because of his lifetime of celebrity and image creation. Cruz could not have done what drumpf did, even if he completely replicated drumpf's every action. Romney couldn't. Bush couldn't. Not only was Drumpf a celebrity in the hollywood sense, the natural outcome of the way people viewed him (that he was promoting for at least 40 years) was respect, admiration, belief that he was smart and successful. He had America's ear from day one not because of his views or campaigning, but because he was the boss. He was gold. He was the American ideal personified. (the appearance of) Rich, confident, successful, charismatic (in his way), white (for those that care. Even non-racists might experience racial affinity), male (which seems to be more important than race for many). He was exactly like his gold gilding he put on everything. The appearance of awesome but actually tacky and hollow. But shiny gold is enough to fool a lot of people, especially when you've spent a lifetime telling people how awesome shiny gold coloured things are while they raptly listened and media helped spread that message.

Maybe the next up and coming GOP politician can replicate what drumpf accomplished, but I have my doubts. It's not like people haven't tried to do exactly what he did before. Hell, drumpf himself tried to do what drumpf did, except 8 years earlier and it didn't catch on like it did this time. Don't forget this wasn't his first kick at the can and he failed miserably that time.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:03 am
I take some consolation in the fact that Drumpf cashed in a lifetime of self promotion and propaganda to win over the American people. They had been specifically conditioned by the media and drumpf himself regarding his artificial persona. That's a LOT of investment, but it paid off. There really isn't anyone out there or ever will be again with that kind of time investment in the cult of his own personality, which the media actively participating in creating.
Isn't Fox News and all of conservative media about grooming those people? I don't watch or listen to them myself, so maybe I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that there are a lot of outrageous personalities competing for attention. Trump was just another huckster until suddenly he wasn't. Plenty of others will try to follow the path he blazed.

I hope your perfect storm hypothesis is right, but with global warming we get even those all the time now.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GreenGoo brings up a good point, and I agree it's unlikely we see someone quite like Trump again. I believe he quite literally suffers from mental issues, and it's hard to imagine someone like that coming to power without an extensive history with the public.

However, I know that GOP political strategists are taking notes. One won't have to be a persona like Trump to use the same tricks that have kept him popular with his base in spite of all his flaws. Planting seeds of doubt against elections and the free press. Stoking the fear and paranoia of racists and xenophobes. Anyone can do that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pushing a political agenda on your viewers is not the same as a lifetime of a very specific image creation. Drumpf, in theory, is a real estate mogul. There are a ZILLION real estate moguls. Drumpf is different, imo, because of the unbelievably extensive promotion of self and his worth (monetarily and otherwise) and media's support of that fact. He was a media DARLING in the 80's, even through his bankruptcies. He was good for ratings and that was enough for them.

He had a fawning fan base long before he entered the political arena. Conceptually his popularity is no different than a popular rock star, movie star, pop singer etc. Except his popularity is/was based on the idea that he was just so good at the American dream. He was living it. He wasn't some two bit string strummer, he was respectable. Enviable. He made it acceptable for rich successful people to sing his praises, because he was just like them, but better.

When drumpf was elected I had an older co-worker tell me that drumpf was a deal maker. That's what he does for a living. And he's good at it. See all the money he has? He understand business thus the economy and what is a politician anyway but a deal maker, and he's the best that ever was. That's how far his image reached. With absolutely no knowledge of any of the details of drumpf's life, co-worker knew how awesome he was, because every one knows. To even question it is somehow irrational. It. Is. Known.

So that's how I think drumpf is different from any of the other political rock stars that Fox News may decide to promote. I'm not saying they won't make good progress, but not this kind of inherent, it is known credibility that was a lifetime in the making. His image making is so good that many people (not just Americans) are rationalizing why what he is doing is so awesome even now, with all evidence to the contrary. For some, they are almost literally seeing him through the lenses of 4 decades of propaganda. Belief (it is known!) is hard to overcome, even with facts.

No politician that I'm aware of has ever had that sort of credibility (obviously unwarranted, imo) or probably ever will.

Perfect storm, etc. I hope.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 am However, I know that GOP political strategists are taking notes. One won't have to be a persona like Trump to use the same tricks that have kept him popular with his base in spite of all his flaws. Planting seeds of doubt against elections and the free press. Stoking the fear and paranoia of racists and xenophobes. Anyone can do that.
But people have been trying that for decades with only middling success.

Two things that I want to make clear. My opinion is that Drumpf's starting place in the American mind was so incredibly far ahead of the rest of the GOP field that they were playing catch up the entire time.

But that's not what won him the election. It's only what made people listen to him and it's what gave his words credibility, but he clearly won playing on peoples' fears, hatreds and other negative emotions. "He hates who we hate" is not a comedian's punchline (well, not only that anyway).

No one in my opinion will ever get that head start again. But plenty of people can and will use the same techniques he used to win over the same people who let their hate and fear drive their decision making.

How successful will it be? I have no idea. My gut tells me only marginally so based on historical precedent and because I believe drumpf is an insanely far outlier, but my gut is a poor fortune teller these days.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Oof

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I think that was an excerpt from his next book, titled "How to Make Enemies and Alienate People"

Has RIP weighed in on Trump lately? I don't remember reading a recent post... I'll have to go looking. Maybe he still thinks this is all according to plan.

*Edit: He hasn't posted anything with more than 6 words in over a month, and nothing at all in two weeks. I think the Midterms broke him.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 am *Edit: He hasn't posted anything with more than 6 words in over a month, and nothing at all in two weeks. I think the Midterms broke him.
He's busy with his new endeavour, and I think the fun of trolling finally ran low for him.

I wish him well.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Gotcha. Took me a minute to backtrack and find that.
Rip wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 pmAlso just FYI, I'm not ignoring you guys. Just streaming a crazy amount (over 300 hours the last month). I'm reading but haven't time for worthwhile responses and I don't want to just do drive-bys.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 am
Rip wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 pmI don't want to just do drive-bys.
Ha... Ha ha... Bwahahahahahahaha!!!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I just want it said clearly and overtly.

Drumpf is warning Europe that Germany can't be trusted because WWII happened, and is likely to happen again so watch out. Only America through NATO can prevent that.

2 days ago Drumpf refused to honor America's dead. 2 days ago the French Embassy did it for him.

2 days later he's warning the world that they are forgetting what monsters Germany were and will be again.

2 days later he's trying to humiliate France because he thinks Europe owes him personally for NATO. He honestly thinks that NATO member money goes directly to America and by extension himself. Like rent. Or payment for services rendered.

Just so we're clear.

Isn't it glorious?
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It makes sense as Russian foreign policy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:06 am Oof

Someone correct me here. Hasn't he spent the better part of a year threatening to withdraw from NATO because Europe isn't pulling its weight?

And does he realize 1) WWI was 100 years ago and 2) what the purpose of NATO is for?

It is election 2020 yet?
Holman wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am It makes sense as Russian foreign policy.
It makes sense when your president treats the presidency like being at the head of the mob.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Does he know that US troops are serving alongside French and German forces in combat zones right now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 am Does he know that US troops are serving alongside French and German forces in combat zones right now?
But those French troops aren't thankful enough for all America has done for them, nor are they nearly suspicious enough of their German "allies". But America has got them covered. They just need to cough up their protection money.

Ok, that tweet is insane. I can't take another day of outrage without a break. It's like the President is a 4chan troll that the entire world is constantly hanging on and reporting his every word so he's impossible to ignore. Plus he's the friggin' president of the US, and what your president says used to matter. It still matters, but in the same way you keep one eye on the crazy person muttering under their breath at the bus stop. You need to know if he's going to do something stupid with all his crazy.

Gah.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holman wrote:Does he know that US troops are serving alongside French and German forces in combat zones right now?
He really probably doesn't.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The scary story here is that Trump is seemingly getting "good" advice from pro-nationalists who theorize that attacking NATO and undermining unity between Germany and France is good for their position here. There is a lot to be concerned about and him pressing his thumb on this issue is another warning sign. Too bad he has hijacked the GOP and the *same people* who would be going bonkers normally have basically abandoned there foreign policy creds for personal power. They all deserve nothing more than to be thrown out on the streets but dumb guided by money shall rule this nation until just money does.
Holman

Post by Holman »

He thinks beating up on Europeans (who are elite and sophisticated and maintain their independence from US pressure) makes him look strong. He wants to emulate autocrats like Putin (who is tough, absurdly rich, unabashedly racist, and immune to domestic criticism) because it would make him BE strong.

Even in a world where all appearances of collusion were just meaningless coincidence, Trump's attitudes here would be the best thing Putin could ask for in a POTUS.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaz wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:55 am
The prospect of Presidential Harassment by the Dems is causing the Stock Market big headaches!
Wreckers and Saboteurs interfering with the Five-Year Plan!!
What does that mean? The market has been wild all year and dropping since is tax give away paid dividends/did stock buy backs wore off and on today's dip (at this second) it's still up since Tuesday and Wednesday.

So I'm trying to find the context. The last big dip happened on the 8th of October which seemed to be in large part a tech sector correction and earnings re-alignments based on Tariff predictions being figured in projections.

Such a lothesome human being.
It means that the market going up is because everyone knows he's going to do a great job and also him doing a great job in general. The market going down is not in any way his fault, and is probably the lousy Dems doing it.
Looking like most of yesterday's down is gone at opening this morning, it must be a reaction to drastic changes only POTUS could make to temporarily fight off Democratic harassment of the Snowflake in Chief.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:23 amEven in a world where all appearances of collusion were just meaningless coincidence, Trump's attitudes here would be the best thing Putin could ask for in a POTUS.
This is so true and the biggest problem regarding Russia right now. They literally do not have to give a shit about America right now because Trump is happily marching to their drummer.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Can we finally remove the special dispensation of culpability from Melania?

Melania Trump on Tuesday called for the firing of deputy national security adviser Mira Ricardel amid reports that President Donald Trump may be weighing several more major shakeups to his administration.

“It is the position of the Office of the First Lady that she no longer deserves the honor of serving in this White House,” a spokesperson for FLOTUS said of Ricardel in a comment to ABC.

Melania Trump’s beef with Ricardel stems from the first lady’s trip to Africa last month when her staff clashed with the adviser over things like plane seating and requests to use National Security Council resources, the Wall Street Journal reported.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Wow, I guess Melania has been watching Daredevil season 3.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:18 pm Can we finally remove the special dispensation of culpability from Melania?
I REALLY DON'T CARE. DO U?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ricardel shouldn’t have questioned why Melania brought the pool boy from Mar-a-Lago.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fox News To File Amicus Brief In Support Of CNN’s Jim Acosta Lawsuit
Fox News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court,” network President Jay Wallace said in a statement Wednesday. “Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:15 pm Fox News To File Amicus Brief In Support Of CNN’s Jim Acosta Lawsuit
Fox News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential. We intend to file an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court,” network President Jay Wallace said in a statement Wednesday. “Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized.”
That's good to see.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

'Trump has retreated into a cocoon of bitterness and resentment'

I would have added 'back' before the 'has' above in the original article but glad we have a very mature, stable genius at the helm of our nation.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm 'Trump has retreated into a cocoon of bitterness and resentment'

I would have added 'back' before the 'has' above in the original article but glad we have a very mature, stable genius at the helm of our nation.
Retreated? I thought bitterness and resentment was his battlecry
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can we crowdsource an effort to send him McDonald's every day? Maybe that will cheer him up.

EDIT: Also:

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm 'Trump has retreated into a cocoon of bitterness and resentment'

That is a really scathing and accurate article.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

He seems to be a very low-energy kind of guy.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

https://gettrumpybear.com/

I think this is a thing that's real but it's so....🤮 it's honestly hard to believe.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ready for some Freikorps action on the streets?

Trump Warns Antifa: Other Side Is ‘Tougher Than Them,’ And Full of Military and Police
President Trump warned that a coalition of police and military members may mobilize against antifascist protestors.

“They better hope that the opposition to Antifa decides not to mobilize,” Trump told The Daily Caller on Wednesday. “Because if you look, the other side, it’s the military. It’s the police. It’s a lot of very strong, a lot of very tough people. Tougher than them. And smarter than them.”

In the past, white nationalists and other far-right activists have brawled with Antifa members at Trump rallies—resulting in arrests and hospitalizations. But Trump warned that growing opposition to Antifa will be “much stronger” and “potentially much more violent” than the leftist activists.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

The caravan is fizzling, so Trump needs a new boogeyman. When a couple dozen anarchist assholes rise to the bait, he'll get what he wants.

Troop carriers on the streets of Berkeley will make for great TV.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My impression is that he's talking about right-wing activists, who just happen to include current/former military and police, taking to the streets and acting with the tacit approval of his administration.