The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 pm For what? To stroke this shitbag’s ego? I don’t care if the parade only costs $1 additional dollar. It’s still a waste of time and money.
That's a different contention and stands on its own merits. It also has the opportunity cost of closing roads, etc...

I hate numbers being pulled out of thin air with OMG! without understanding context and that snip gave me too little context to trust it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's always someone else's fault in the world of Trump.

Spoiler:
The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it. Never let someone hold you up!
sidenote: in looking over the Mangerine's tweets, it's astounding how many of them include links to Fox shows/commentators. He really does live in an echo chamber of his own making.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 amHe really does live in an echo chamber of his own making.
The most dangerous people in history generally do. If this were any country but the US and he thought he could get away with it, I guarantee he'd have executed journalists by now for "Treason".
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am It's always someone else's fault in the world of Trump.

Spoiler:
The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it. When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it. Never let someone hold you up!
sidenote: in looking over the Mangerine's tweets, it's astounding how many of them include links to Fox shows/commentators. He really does live in an echo chamber of his own making.
He's trying to make it sound like cancelling the debacle hurts local politicians. It doesn't, no one wanted it. He lost, they won, but he can't admit that. So it's "Mr. Negotiator wins again."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It's also a deflection to blame local DC city politicians. The $92MM estimate came from the DoD.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Again, obvious lie. Easily caught.

Trump is spending all the credibility of the President earned by his predecessors. What a disgrace.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

But at least now we can buy some more jet fighters!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am But at least now we can buy some more jet fighters!
But they're invisible, so we'll never know for sure if they were bought!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm more curious as to exactly what those are. I mean, I know what a fighter jet is. But a jet fighter? Is it someone who redirects plumes of air? Or an NFL team other than the Cleveland Browns? I'm just totally unclear.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am But at least now we can buy some more jet fighters!
You spelled space fighter wrong.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 am I'm more curious as to exactly what those are. I mean, I know what a fighter jet is. But a jet fighter? Is it someone who redirects plumes of air? Or an NFL team other than the Cleveland Browns? I'm just totally unclear.
Do you even punk?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Apparently I do not.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am sidenote: in looking over the Mangerine's tweets, it's astounding how many of them include links to Fox shows/commentators. He really does live in an echo chamber of his own making.
He wakes up in the morning and basically live tweets Fox and Friends or other Fox programs.

Several journalists are tracking it and can tell you whether he's watching live or via TiVo (and how many minutes or hours behind). It's often possible to predict his next Tweet if a Fox guest says something particularly Trump-provocative or Trump-pleasing (and of course Fox guests know this).

Fox and Friends is basically writing the president's script.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 am It's also a deflection to blame local DC city politicians black people. The $92MM estimate came from the DoD.
Mortoned.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:00 amIf this were any country but the US and he thought he could get away with it, I guarantee he'd have executed journalists by now for "Treason".
American exceptionalism was a myth long before Trump. There are plenty of countries that don't go full-Putin on journalists.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am sidenote: in looking over the Mangerine's tweets, it's astounding how many of them include links to Fox shows/commentators. He really does live in an echo chamber of his own making.
He wakes up in the morning and basically live tweets Fox and Friends or other Fox programs.

Several journalists are tracking it and can tell you whether he's watching live or via TiVo (and how many minutes or hours behind). It's often possible to predict his next Tweet if a Fox guest says something particularly Trump-provocative or Trump-pleasing (and of course Fox guests know this).

Fox and Friends is basically writing the president's script.
There's also reports out there that not only do they set his twitter script, they actually dictate his daily schedule. He'll hear something on Hannity the night before or on Fox & Friends, then go to the office and demand that people get pulled in so they can have meetings on whatever they riled him up about. The level of control Fox News is having over the Presidency is goddamn terrifying.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It smelled like... winning.
The president began going around the room asking the different representatives what they were working on and how his administration could help, having made veterans’ issues a cornerstone of his 2016 campaign rhetoric.

Soon, he got to Rick Weidman, co-founder of Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA), who was one of Vietnam vets in the room that day, having served a tour of duty in 1969 as a medic. (Trump famously avoided military service in that disastrous war, ostensibly due to “bone spurs,” and had once said that his prolific sex life was his own “personal Vietnam.”)

According to two sources in the room who requested anonymity, this is when things went off the rails.

During the course of the meeting, Weidman brought up the issue of Agent Orange, an extremely notorious component of the U.S. herbicidal warfare on Vietnam. Weidman was imploring the president and his team to permit access to benefits for a broader number of vets who have said they were poisoned by Agent Orange.

Trump responded by saying, “That’s taken care of,” according to people in the room.

His reply puzzled the group.

Attendees began explaining to the president that the VA had not made enough progress on the issue at all, to which Trump responded by abruptly derailing the meeting and asking the attendees if Agent Orange was “that stuff from that movie.”

He did not initially name the film he was referencing, but it quickly became clear as Trump kept rambling that he was referring to the classic 1979 Francis Ford Coppola epic Apocalypse Now, and specifically the famous helicopter attack scene set to the “Ride of the Valkyries.”

Source present at the time tell The Daily Beast that multiple people—including Vietnam War veterans—chimed in to inform the president that the Apocalypse Now set piece he was talking about showcased the U.S. military using napalm, not Agent Orange.

Trump refused to accept that he was mistaken and proceeded to say things like, “no, I think it’s that stuff from that movie.”

One clue belying the president’s insistence is that the famous Robert Duvall line from the scene in Apocalypse Now, “I love the smell of napalm in the morning,” is not “I love the smell of Agent Orange in the morning.”

He then went around the room polling attendees about if it was, in fact, napalm or Agent Orange in the famous scene from “that movie,” as the gathering—organized to focus on important, sometimes life-or-death issues for veterans—descended into a pointless debate over Apocalypse Now that the president simply would not concede, despite all the available evidence.

Finally, Trump made eye contact again with Weidman and asked him if it was napalm or Agent Orange. The VVA co-founder assured Trump, as did several before him, that it was in fact napalm, and said that he didn’t like the Coppola film and believed it to be a disservice to Vietnam War veterans.

According to two people in attendance, Trump then flippantly replied to the Vietnam vet, “Well, I think you just didn’t like the movie,” before finally moving on.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

The level of control Fox News is having over the Presidency is goddamn terrifying.
Finding out who controls Fox News messaging will be fascinating.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Being ignorant of Agent Orange isn't a crime, even for a president. Honestly, I have no ill feelings for the president at that point.

How he reacted to his ignorance should be. He is criminally, dangerously stupid.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:09 pm Being ignorant of Agent Orange isn't a crime, even for a president. Honestly, I have no ill feelings for the president at that point.

How he reacted to his ignorance should be. He is criminally, dangerously stupid.
I agree with you about the stupidity but not about Agent Orange. It and its health effects on veterans were a major and long-term topic of public debate as the USA wrestled with the aftermath of Vietnam in the 70s and 80s. I was a teenager under Reagan, and even I knew what the stuff had been.

No educated American of Trump's generation has any excuse for misunderstanding the issue. He didn't used to be this stupid. I'm chalking this one up as further evidence of cognitive impairment.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:29 pm No educated American of Trump's generation has any excuse for misunderstanding the issue. He didn't used to be this stupid. I'm chalking this one up as further evidence of cognitive impairment.
I'll have to take your word for it. Clearly a majority of people are going to know. I don't think the details of a chemical agent used 50 years ago is something that "everyone" is going to know, which means that some people are going to be ignorant through no fault of their own. Drumpf could be one of those people.

In any case, it doesn't really matter if his ignorance is forgivable or not, his response to having his ignorance questioned is beyond reprehensible.
geezer

Post by geezer »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:32 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:29 pm No educated American of Trump's generation has any excuse for misunderstanding the issue. He didn't used to be this stupid. I'm chalking this one up as further evidence of cognitive impairment.
I'll have to take your word for it. Clearly a majority of people are going to know. I don't think the details of a chemical agent used 50 years ago is something that "everyone" is going to know, which means that some people are going to be ignorant through no fault of their own. Drumpf could be one of those people.
It's sort of a cultural touchstone here in the States. Like if you didn't know what a Mountie was ;)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think that's a stretch, but again, I'll take your word for it (no snark intended).

P.S. Also, every time Drumpf opens his mouth I hate Rip a little more. Rip must be happy, he's got the President of the US doing his trolling for him. I blame Rip personally (along with many other Americans) for Drumpf.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

geezer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:01 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:32 pm
It's sort of a cultural touchstone here in the States. Like if you didn't know what a Mountie was ;)
I don't know about that, but it sure as hell should be for someone in his age bracket. But then someone in his age bracket should go off the handle at the insinuation that asbestos is safe. He's has no sense for reality. How much of the working class from his generation have suffered or given their lives to these things and he's completely ignorant?
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump-brand Thalidomide is going to show Big Pharma how marketing is done!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's one thing to not understand what Agent Orange is. Quite another to not accept the fact that you didn't know, accept the correction, and move on. The guy is mentally ill. This is not normal behavior for an ordinary civilian, much less the POTUS.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:32 pm It's one thing to not understand what Agent Orange is. Quite another to not accept the fact that you didn't know, accept the correction, and move on.
In the end (if we assume we're getting an honest recounting of what happened) a member of the VA who is a veteran of Vietnam had legitimate health care concerns that were dismissed as a disagreement of opinion about a fictional movie, the details of which weren't related to the subject matter in the first place.

Holman could very well be right. Drumpf could be suffering mental impairment of some kind. The entire thing so outlandish as to be horrifying. It's so bad that despite my KNOWING Drumpf is a trainwreck, I have a nagging suspicion that the recounting is not accurate. I mean, it just seems impossible for the Prez of the US to be that lost in his own mental construct of the world.

This won't stop until everyone, not just a single child in the street, starts telling the Prez he's wearing no clothes. Everyone has to tell him. That's how interventions are done.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The take-away (for me, YMMV) isn't whether or not Trump had any particular level of knowledge about Agent Orange. It's that he just doesn't care about things like Agent Orange, just as he doesn't actually care about the effect it or anything else has had on American soldiers, and that he'd rather argue about whether or not he is right about a scene in a movie than constructively discuss solutions to veterans' issues. (Spoiler: He's never wrong about anything. Just ask him.) None of that has anything to do with him. He's just there for the photo-op, and absolutely nothing matters aside from feeling good about himself.

And about 40% of Americans are solidly fine with that.

Holman

Post by Holman »

"Now everyone is talking about PTSD. Losers. Melania wanted to join the PTSD at Barron's school, but I told her it would just mean a lot of fundraisers and bake sales and she would get fat like the other wife. Wives."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

NYT: Omarosa believed to have as many as 200 tapes

That's a lot of tapes. I'll wait for the "best of" album to get released.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Chaz wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 am It's also a deflection to blame local DC city politicians. The $92MM estimate came from the DoD.
I love this reply from the DC mayor:

"Yup, I’m Muriel Bowser, mayor of Washington DC, the local politician who finally got thru to the reality star in the White House with the realities ($21.6M) of parades/events/demonstrations in Trump America (sad)."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Omarosa Searches Through Tapes Of Everyone Else In White House Using N-Word For One Of Trump.
WASHINGTON—Insisting that it had to be in the audio recordings made during her time in the administration, Omarosa Manigault-Newman was frantically searching Tuesday through tapes of everyone else in the White House using the N-word for one of President Trump uttering the racial slur. “C’mon, c’mon, I know Trump’s in here somewhere,” said Manigault-Newman as she fast-forwarded through a recording of Stephen Miller and Jeff Sessions casually using the racial slur during a conversation in the West Wing. “I’ve got hours of John Kelly dropping N-bombs and a several where Trump is in the room when Bannon yells it, but I haven’t found any of the president yet. One tape seemed promising, but there’s a lot of crosstalk where everybody in the room was saying the N-word over each other, so you can’t make out Trump clearly. Ugh, this is going to take forever.” At press time, Manigault-Newman was forced to keep looking after all that turned up so far were two dozen recordings of Trump saying “wetback” and “dune coon.”
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Um Kelly saying it would be a big deal?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Enough wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:38 pm Um Kelly saying it would be a big deal?

Onion article.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Quasi-related fun fact. When I was starting at my old law firm, I spent about a month or so in the firm's Brussels office. The Brussels office HR put on a "welcome to the firm" type video, where a couple of the aging founding partners were talking about the other founding partners, and the origin of the firm, and whatnot. One of said aging partners referred to another founding partner as a "wetback" ON THE VIDEO. We were all like uhhhhhh...how have you not edited that part out yet?
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:44 pm The take-away (for me, YMMV) isn't whether or not Trump had any particular level of knowledge about Agent Orange. It's that he just doesn't care about things like Agent Orange, just as he doesn't actually care about the effect it or anything else has had on American soldiers, and that he'd rather argue about whether or not he is right about a scene in a movie than constructively discuss solutions to veterans' issues. (Spoiler: He's never wrong about anything. Just ask him.) None of that has anything to do with him. He's just there for the photo-op, and absolutely nothing matters aside from feeling good about himself.

Well, yeah. I don't think anyone overlooked that.
Enough

Post by Enough »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:58 pm
Enough wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:38 pm Um Kelly saying it would be a big deal?

Onion article.
Note to self, do not read this stuff on my phone while running to get lunch.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:09 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:44 pm The take-away (for me, YMMV) isn't whether or not Trump had any particular level of knowledge about Agent Orange. It's that he just doesn't care about things like Agent Orange, just as he doesn't actually care about the effect it or anything else has had on American soldiers, and that he'd rather argue about whether or not he is right about a scene in a movie than constructively discuss solutions to veterans' issues. (Spoiler: He's never wrong about anything. Just ask him.) None of that has anything to do with him. He's just there for the photo-op, and absolutely nothing matters aside from feeling good about himself.

Well, yeah. I don't think anyone overlooked that.
I'm not supposed to vent about things that you find so obvious that it isn't worth commenting on? Duly noted. :coffee:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa...times are really bad when Canadians start fighting with each other. :shock:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Whoa...times are really bad when Canadians start fighting with each other. :shock:
Goo is actually short for Goose.
It's almost as if people are the problem.