The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am Yes, it's important to keep perspective. The last time we saw the DOW at this value was 2019. It's hardly a crash.
We haven't even wiped out the fantasy 20% gain of 2019 yet. But we're just about there. The thing is, once it wipes out 20% gain of 2019, we revert right into the losses in 2018.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If you go with a 8-9% stock market average rate of return we are now below the historical average so it looks like the market has over-corrected a bit. We went from slightly overbought to now slightly oversold (relatively speaking). Once this settles out this likely is going to be a good investment environment. The speed of the change is the unexpected part IMO.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 am
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am Yes, it's important to keep perspective. The last time we saw the DOW at this value was 2019. It's hardly a crash.
We haven't even wiped out the fantasy 20% gain of 2019 yet. But we're just about there. The thing is, once it wipes out 20% gain of 2019, we revert right into the losses in 2018.
Nearly all of 2018 is better than nearly all of 2017. Picking a particular spot in time is a fools errand. It just drives you crazy. Look at a ten year chart. You'll see dips and peaks. At the time they look super important. In hindsight, not so much.

It's certainly noteworthy, but it's not panic levels and it's not unexpected.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:36 am Nearly all of 2018 is better than nearly all of 2017. Picking a particular spot in time is a fools errand. It just drives you crazy. Look at a ten year chart. You'll see dips and peaks. At the time they look super important. In hindsight, not so much.

It's certainly noteworthy, but it's not panic levels and it's not unexpected.
Agreed. I'm just following your flow. Ever since 2010 or so, we've been on a crazy upturn. It's hard for me to figure anything in historical context. I can only guess at the now.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 am If you go with a 8-9% stock market average rate of return we are now below the historical average so it looks like the market has over-corrected a bit. We went from slightly overbought to now slightly oversold (relatively speaking). Once this settles out this likely is going to be a good investment environment. The speed of the change is the unexpected part IMO.
I use the S&P and by my calculations, we still have about 100 points to drop before we get to the trendline.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:17 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:35 am If you go with a 8-9% stock market average rate of return we are now below the historical average so it looks like the market has over-corrected a bit. We went from slightly overbought to now slightly oversold (relatively speaking). Once this settles out this likely is going to be a good investment environment. The speed of the change is the unexpected part IMO.
I use the S&P and by my calculations, we still have about 100 points to drop before we get to the trendline.
Depends on your start date. I use S&P as well and peg to the end of the slightly post-Carter recession right before Volker induced his recession to break the inflation fever. That is the beginning in my opinion of the modern era of finance. Still it isn't hard science. Just a bit of an indicator :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

+5% move in the DOW today. This is a totally healthy marketplace. :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mexico is absolutely not paying for the wall, btw.

If you don't know, Daniel Dale is the account to follow for coverage and assessment of all Trump public appearances.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Enlarge Image

So many thing wrong.... Doesn't know what impeach means. Quid Pro Quo. ok technically maybe a yes, but nothing illegal... Unlike what he did as President.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Isn't he saying that he should have been impeached?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump has harassed the Fed into exhausting nearly all its stimulus ability before we have had a contraction in the business cycle. The next downturn is going to be essentially uncontrolled. They made an emergency 50 bps cut and the market dropped 2.5%.

The Federal Reserve is cutting but must further ease and, most importantly, come into line with other countries/competitors. We are not playing on a level field. Not fair to USA. It is finally time for the Federal Reserve to LEAD. More easing and cutting!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So a "level playing field" means identical monetary policy? The fuck is he talking about?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:41 pm So a "level playing field" means identical monetary policy? The fuck is he talking about?
Something...something...rich people have it very hard. Maybe he heard about getting paid to borrow money and wants in on that racket.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:46 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:41 pm So a "level playing field" means identical monetary policy? The fuck is he talking about?
Something...something...rich people have it very hard. Maybe he heard about getting paid to borrow money and wants in on that racket.
"Dark-skinned people are trying to take advantage of you again, but I am trying to stop them."
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Have I mentioned that we're fucked?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

10-year Treasury yield dipped under 1% for the first time.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

More evidence that Trump understands nothing about macroeconomics.

Part of American Hegemony has been our ability to set global monetary policy and fund our deficit by the Federal Reserve. A level playing field would lead to surrendering our privileged economic role. No ability for the U.S. to sustain low interest rates which push 10-year Treasury borrowing costs to less than 1%.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

does Trump ever refer (in speeches or comments or whatever) to US citizens who don't support him? ever? or does he pretend over half the country doesn't exist?
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:21 am does Trump ever refer (in speeches or comments or whatever) to US citizens who don't support him? ever? or does he pretend over half the country doesn't exist?
I think he honestly believes polls showing a lack of support are fake news. If you lie often enough, you begin to believe the world you are painting is the real thing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, any folks that don't support him wouldn't be true Americans. Not worth worrying about them.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:Also, any folks that don't support him wouldn't be true Americans. Not worth worrying about them.
Hey you're either inside the wall, or outside the wall!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:39 am Also, any folks that don't support him wouldn't be true Americans. Not worth worrying about them.
Well, to his son, they're not even human.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey, I know - let's publish rule updates on Super Tuesday and hope that no one notices:
Yesterday the Trump administration issued a supplemental notice to a draft rule long feared by many in the public health and scientific communities as a major disruption to science-based policy as we know it. Purported to be about transparency at the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the proposal—in reality—would prevent the EPA from using the best available science to protect public health and the environment, as its mission holds.
Bullet point summary:
  • The EPA’s use of science will be even more severely restricted
    The restrictions are more complicated and confusing, but still limit science
    The goal of the rule is to question the science
    The administration doesn’t know the difference between the EPA and the CDC
    The administrator still has broad authority to decide when the rule applies
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 pm Have I mentioned that we're fucked?
For the record, you have, which makes this all your fault. Thanks a bunch.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

The market swings up almost 4% just before the closing bell. Why the media says? Biden doing well on Super Tuesday. That causality sounds super scientific. I mean they just about that time announced he won...checks...MAINE! By...a...point! A *yuge* win in a critical state.

Luckily for civilization that fuels Trump's claims that Bernie being ahead was tanking the market. It wasn't China shutting down for a month. Or the business community essentially bunkering up killing the airlines. Or expected slack demand for consumer products. It was all Bernie maybe winning in 9 months.

This is such a stupid timeline.
With less than half an hour to go in the trading day, the Dow rallied more than 1,000 points. Stocks are rebounding sharply from yesterday's losses, helped by Joe Biden's wins on Super Tuesday.

Biden is considered a more market-friendly contender for the Democratic nomination, compared with Bernie Sanders.

The Dow was last up 1,050 points, or 4.1%, while the broader S&P 500 rallied 3.8%. The Nasdaq Composite was up 3.3%.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wrong reason for the up move. Maybe it's the positive effect from the coronavirus.

Trump says there's a "positive impact" to the worldwide coronavirus outbreak because people are "staying in our country" and are "shopping and using our hotels in this country."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JFC. Of course he mentions hotels. Of course.

Is this the part of the story/simulation that I hope the new coronavirus has a sense of dramatic irony? Like...a really awesome way to end the story that's been unfolding for the last 3+ years? Is that wrong? That's probably wrong.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:01 pm JFC. Of course he mentions hotels. Of course.
Enlarge Image
Jesus fried for our sins.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

On that theme...

Trump is wearing campaign merch during his visit to areas of Tennessee delimitated by tornadoes
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:On that theme...

Trump is wearing campaign merch during his visit to areas of Tennessee delimitated by tornadoes
Didn't they replace E Pluribus Unum with MAGA on the presidential seal yet?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:delimitated by tornadoes
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least they weren't decimated.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey man, I just quote the covfefe so people that can't see Tweets can participate.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Changing your Chief of Staff during a National Health Emergency is stupid. Which is of course why Trump is clearing out the unreliables.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:45 pm Hey man, I just quote the covfefe so people that can't see Tweets can participate.
And it is appreciated!
Holman

Post by Holman »

NYT: Erik Prince Recruits Ex-Spies to Help Infiltrate Liberal Groups
Erik Prince, the security contractor with close ties to the Trump administration, has in recent years helped recruit former American and British spies for secretive intelligence-gathering operations that included infiltrating Democratic congressional campaigns, labor organizations and other groups considered hostile to the Trump agenda, according to interviews and documents.

One of the former spies, an ex-MI6 officer named Richard Seddon, helped run a 2017 operation to copy files and record conversations in a Michigan office of the American Federation of Teachers, one of the largest teachers’ unions in the nation. Mr. Seddon directed an undercover operative to secretly tape the union’s local leaders and try to gather information that could be made public to damage the organization, documents show.

Using a different alias the next year, the same undercover operative infiltrated the congressional campaign of Abigail Spanberger, then a former C.I.A. officer who went on to win an important House seat in Virginia as a Democrat. The campaign discovered the operative and fired her.

Both operations were run by Project Veritas, a conservative group that has gained attention using hidden cameras and microphones for sting operations on news organizations, Democratic politicians and liberal advocacy groups.
The above is just the tip of the iceberg. Trump has gone full Nixon here. There's very little we can assume Trump won't do to secure his position.

Also, fucking Project Veritas? Our only hope is that Trump's most loyal minions are ridiculous assclowns.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's way beyond Nixon, but I can't resist mentioning another parallel: Nixon cheated to steal an election he was already going to win anyway, and so is Trump.

I'm sure all campaigns have moles in their opponents' operations, but actual spies with actual Bond gear is some next-level shit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In case anyone didn't know by now, Erik Prince is Betsy Devos' brother.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 pm In case anyone didn't know by now, Erik Prince is Betsy Devos' brother.
And an absolutely vile piece of shit, although that kinda goes without saying in that family.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.