The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

geezer

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by geezer »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:52 am :roll:

Guardian
Standing beneath Mount Rushmore on the eve of American independence day, Donald Trump staged a defiant celebration of what critics say is white identity politics and warned the nation’s history is under siege from “far-left fascism”.
In an effort to fight back, he announced a surprise executive order establishing “The National Garden of American Heroes”, a vast outdoor park featuring statues of “the greatest Americans to ever live” – a selection sure to provoke debate and controversy.
In remarks that offered little by way of reconciliation, he went on to rail against “cancel culture, driving people from their jobs, shaming dissenters and demanding total submission from anyone who disagrees. This is the very definition of totalitarianism, and it is completely alien to our culture and to our values. It has absolutely no place in the United States of America.

“This attack on our liberty, our magnificent liberty, must be stopped, and it will be stopped very quickly.”

He added darkly: “In our schools, our newsrooms, even our corporate boardrooms, there is a new far-left fascism that demands absolute allegiance. If you do not speak its language, perform its rituals, recite its mantras and follow its commandments, then you will be censored, banished, blacklisted, persecuted and punished.”
In a swipe at sports professionals and others who take a knee to protest racial injustice, Trump said: “We stand tall, we stand proud and we only kneel before almighty God.”

He went on to announce the National Garden of American Heroes in an executive order that said it should include statues of figures like Frederick Douglass, Amelia Earhart, Benjamin Franklin, Billy Graham, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, Jackie Robinson, Antonin Scalia, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Harriet Tubman, Booker T Washington, George Washington and Orville and Wilbur Wright.
...Taney, Calhoun, Lee...
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Make-up atrocity aside, that was a heart-warming call-out to Benjamin Siegel and friends. They do seem like Trump's sort of people.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Billy Graham... Antonin Scalia?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Punisher wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 pmSo, yeah long answer but still a maybe with a lean towards yes I’d want to defend my property with my rifle but at a bit lower threat level, probably a low carry until an imminent threat or visible firearms
Thats the issue though. Their actions took what was probably a tense situation and took them to potentially tragic levels. Stepping out to show yourself home and armed to protect your property wouldn't be an issue to me. Screaming at the people walking by and waving the firearms around makes it look like you want to shoot rather than would shoot if forced to defend. Also, walking out in the open if you thought the people were carrying guns themselves and may open fire seems even further toward the stupid end.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously, that's not how you defend your property when you're afraid. That's how you threaten people when you're confident.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:45 pm Seriously, that's not how you defend your property when you're afraid. That's how you threaten people when you're confident.
It's how you act when you think a gun is a magic talisman.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:40 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 am I just don’t understand the deep and abiding reverence for statues and monuments at all. They’re fine, I guess, but this idea that they are inextricably woven into the fabric of this nation and we somehow can’t survive without them is just stupid. If the Washington Monument disappeared tomorrow, would it really have a significant impact on anyone’s life?

With all the actual issues taking place right now, this whole statue kerfuffle feels like such a colossal waste of time and energy.
It's all the MAGAts have. This all represents the deep, deep grievance about the America they 'are losing'. Many of us don't get it because we are approaching this as rationale people. However, that doesn't change that there are a lot of these angry people in our nation. We have a genuine crisis level wound in our politics and Trump's only chance in his simpleton mind is to press on it hard. Even if it shatters us. And it very well might. I don't know how we get out of this without violence. It still feels like it is coming. Hopefully it won't but the tensions are ridiculously high.
It's also all the party has.

They were hoping to run on the economy, but that's gone, so the only tool left in their kit is Culture War.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Washington Post (among many others, I'm sure) is reading Mary Trump's book so that you don't have to read it yourself.

Trump’s worldview forged by neglect and trauma at home, his niece says in new book
A tell-all book by President Trump’s niece describes a family riven by a series of traumas, exacerbated by a daunting patriarch who “destroyed” Donald Trump by short-circuiting his “ability to develop and experience the entire spectrum of human emotion,” according to a copy of the forthcoming memoir obtained by The Washington Post.

President Trump’s view of the world was shaped by his desire during childhood to avoid his father’s disapproval, according to the niece, Mary L. Trump, whose book is by turns a family history and a psychological analysis of her uncle.

But she writes that as Donald matured, his father came to envy his son’s “confidence and brazenness,” and his seemingly insatiable desire to flout rules and conventions, traits that brought them closer together as Donald became the right-hand man to the family real estate business.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:45 pm The Washington Post (among many others, I'm sure) is reading Mary Trump's book so that you don't have to read it yourself.

Trump’s worldview forged by neglect and trauma at home, his niece says in new book
A tell-all book by President Trump’s niece describes a family riven by a series of traumas, exacerbated by a daunting patriarch who “destroyed” Donald Trump by short-circuiting his “ability to develop and experience the entire spectrum of human emotion,” according to a copy of the forthcoming memoir obtained by The Washington Post.

President Trump’s view of the world was shaped by his desire during childhood to avoid his father’s disapproval, according to the niece, Mary L. Trump, whose book is by turns a family history and a psychological analysis of her uncle.

But she writes that as Donald matured, his father came to envy his son’s “confidence and brazenness,” and his seemingly insatiable desire to flout rules and conventions, traits that brought them closer together as Donald became the right-hand man to the family real estate business.
Read that article if you have access.

We are all the collateral victims of the shittiest possible Greek tragedy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not even trying to hide it anymore:
Megachurches and other religious organizations with ties to vocal supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump were approved for millions of dollars in forgivable loans from a taxpayer-funded pandemic aid bailout, according to long-awaited government data released this week.

Among those approved for loans through the massive government relief program were a Dallas megachurch whose pastor has been an outspoken ally of the president; a Florida church tied to Trump spiritual adviser and “prosperity gospel” leader Paula White; and a Christian-focused nonprofit where Jay Sekulow, the lawyer who defended the president during his impeachment, is chief counsel.

Evangelical Christians played a key role in Trump’s victory in the 2016 presidential election and have remained a largely unwavering contingent of his base.

Vice President Mike Pence spoke at a rally last month at the First Baptist Church of Dallas, whose pastor, Robert Jeffress, has been on Trump’s evangelical advisory board. The church was approved for a $2-5 million loan, the data showed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 pm Not even trying to hide it anymore:
Megachurches and other religious organizations with ties to vocal supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump were approved for millions of dollars in forgivable loans from a taxpayer-funded pandemic aid bailout, according to long-awaited government data released this week.

Among those approved for loans through the massive government relief program were a Dallas megachurch whose pastor has been an outspoken ally of the president; a Florida church tied to Trump spiritual adviser and “prosperity gospel” leader Paula White; and a Christian-focused nonprofit where Jay Sekulow, the lawyer who defended the president during his impeachment, is chief counsel.

Evangelical Christians played a key role in Trump’s victory in the 2016 presidential election and have remained a largely unwavering contingent of his base.

Vice President Mike Pence spoke at a rally last month at the First Baptist Church of Dallas, whose pastor, Robert Jeffress, has been on Trump’s evangelical advisory board. The church was approved for a $2-5 million loan, the data showed.
Congress should be held to task for "the swamp", but they won't.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is a shame that a good man like this was hounded out of service.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump is now on his second 45-day extension to submit his 2019 annual financial disclosure.

What is Trump hiding? Perhaps he's waiting to see how the Supreme Court rules on disclosing his tax returns.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Meanwhile...

alizaslav wrote:Geoffrey Berman, ousted US attorney for the Southern District of New York, arrives to testify behind closed doors to discuss his dismissal

Berman’s office has investigated several Trump associates

House Judiciary Cmte is investigating the circumstances of his firing

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's like the studies that get commissioned to figure out the obvious - like "Faraway Objects Are Tougher to See" or "Combining Drugs and Alcohol is Bad For You" ... only there's a good chance with this study that any evidence will just be ignored to favor the desired results.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Evil needs henchmen. Unfortunately Trump has proven we have a lot to worry about. Esper and McCarthy are spineless.

That speaking truth to power results in punishment is unacceptable. It is indecent and just another unforgivable stain on the people and system that should have protected him.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Claiming the doctors can’t believe how well he passed his dementia screening maybe isn’t the slam dunk he thinks it is.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:17 am

Claiming the doctors can’t believe how well he passed his dementia screening maybe isn’t the slam dunk he thinks it is.
If only I had milk I could spray out of my nose.

Dude just said the doctors were impressed that someone as mentally absent as he appears to be doesn't have dementia, so WOW! I mean, honestly... they wouldn't be impressed if a normal person showed up. They'd be like "Yup, just what we thought."
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am If only I had milk I could spray out of my nose.

Dude just said the doctors were impressed that someone as mentally absent as he appears to be doesn't have dementia, so WOW! I mean, honestly... they wouldn't be impressed if a normal person showed up. They'd be like "Yup, just what we thought."

Also, you know he's lying about what the doctors said (and probably about the results).

Incidentally, this probably happened during his sudden and unexplained trip to Walter Reed some months ago. Whatever prompted it, it caused the doctors to call for a cognitive screening.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:36 am
Paingod wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am If only I had milk I could spray out of my nose.

Also, you know he's lying about what the doctors said (and probably about the results).

Incidentally, this probably happened during his sudden and unexplained trip to Walter Reed some months ago. Whatever prompted it, it caused the doctors to call for a cognitive screening.
I read that the screening supposedly happened in 2018. I think this came up because Biden said something about how he 'passes cognitive tests every day' (by, like, showing up to events and speaking coherently, I think), and Team Trump decided to jump on that and boast about how their guy had totally passed a cognitive test, much to the surprise of the doctors involved.
Black Lives Matter.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:17 am

Found a copy of the cognitive exam:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, I"m screwed. The bastard horked me lucky charms.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:

Does he have someone who follows him around saying things like "Yes, you wiped yourself wonderfully, sir and I must say that is truly the stool of a powerful man."
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

BREAKING: video of Trump's cognitive test has been released:

Black Lives Matter.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I heard Trump paid a guy to take his cognitive test.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Tao wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm I heard Trump paid a guy to take his cognitive test.
Unfortunately it was Eric.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He is a master of cognitive...dissonance.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is this Trump just throwing out red meat to the base? Regardless, the assault on education and being educated is on-brand for the GOP, eh?

Well, we've now reached the full-bore McCarthyite portion of the Trump Administration.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:08 pm Is this Trump just throwing out red meat to the base? Regardless, the assault on education and being educated is on-brand for the GOP, eh?
Trump is a wounded animal at this point. He's just lashing out at anything he thinks he can reach. And his judgment about what he can reach is...not good.

Our universities are safe from Trump. But COVID, I fear, will do a great many of them in.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

I missed this. What the nation totally needs is to watch federal police brutalize protesters.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What could go wrong?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"If that's what you want for a country, you're going to have to vote for sleepy Joe Biden because he doesn't know what's happening. But you're not going to have it with me..."

Why does he always sound like the challenger talking about the incumbent? It is happening with his administration. We are having it with you, fuckhead.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I also find it ironic that the "government taking over" that the conservatives always feared is the one they put into power.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm I also find it ironic that the "government taking over" that the conservatives always feared is the one they put into power.
As long as they're hurting the "right" people, they don't care.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm I also find it ironic that the "government taking over" that the conservatives always feared is the one they put into power.
Yeah, remember when the governor of Texas put the national guard on alert because of US military training exercises. How quaint.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sometimes I genuinely wonder whether there is any aspect of our world that Donald Trump actually understands.