What are you doing to minimize the Trumpocalypse?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

What are you doing to minimize the Trumpocalypse?

Post by Defiant »

With election day come and gone, we're faced with a Trump administration. Many of us voted against him. Others of us may have voted for him, but disagreed strongly with some of the views and positions he expressed.

I'm starting this thread as a place to offer suggestions on productive things people can do in the face of a Trump reality.

One thing people can do is to donate to those charities and organizations that will fight for the issues that matter to you that will be under attack. Examples include: The ACLU, Lambda Legal, The Southern Poverty Law Center, Planned Parenthood, The Sierra Club. Do research to find the charities that are the most effective on the issues you care about. I'm donating to Lamda Legal and the Sierra Club. Feel free to let us know what groups you'll be donating to.

Second, people can call their representatives to express their views. With Trump wanting to appoint an alt-right extremist as a senior advisor, many people are calling in their Representative and Senators to denounce it. You can take a look here for some tips and scripts to follow when calling them.

Third, you can become more involved in politics. Donate or volunteer on behalf of candidates that more closely match your views and that are likely to counter Trump. Become involved with your local Democratic (or Republican) club, and have the opportunity to meet the candidates and get them to go on the record on the issues that you care about.

Feel free to offer suggestions, as well as take credit for what you're doing.
Paingod

Re: What are you doing to minimize the Trumpocalypse?

Post by Paingod »

I changed my signature to include some helpful links, and my family is donating to help thwart environmental disaster. It's a start.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've donated to the ACLU and the ADL so far, and will make more donations. I also made a donation to the democratic candidate (Foster Campbell) in the Louisiana senate election on December 10th). I'm looking into possible volunteer work opportunities with the ADL, and expect to get involved in mid-term campaigning leading up to 2018.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've set up monthly donations to a couple different groups (ACLU, NRDC), which I guess is an OK (if passive) first step.

I need to figure out how to get more actively involved at a local level though. It's a little challenging being blue in a very red state, but I'm sure there's much more I can do. Actually finding time is a pretty major barrier (lots of work travel, three kids, etc.), but I'm sure there's ways I can step up. Need to give it more thought...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Be careful what you wish for. I have (had?) a friend who would go on hours-long rants about everything wrong with the country. All The Time. I finally got sick of it and told him to go and fucking do something about it if it bothers you so much.

He became a rabid Tea Party member. :shock: :( :grund:
There is no hug button. Sad!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote:I've set up monthly donations to a couple different groups (ACLU, NRDC), which I guess is an OK (if passive) first step.

I need to figure out how to get more actively involved at a local level though. It's a little challenging being blue in a very red state, but I'm sure there's much more I can do. Actually finding time is a pretty major barrier (lots of work travel, three kids, etc.), but I'm sure there's ways I can step up. Need to give it more thought...
Which state are you in - Utah? Might be worthwhile to get involved in state and local politics - it's incredibly important, people don't pay enough attention to it, and in a red state democrats can do well at that level (though they'll typically be materially different from blue state democrats).
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

El Guapo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I've set up monthly donations to a couple different groups (ACLU, NRDC), which I guess is an OK (if passive) first step.

Which state are you in - Utah? Might be worthwhile to get involved in state and local politics - it's incredibly important, people don't pay enough attention to it, and in a red state democrats can do well at that level (though they'll typically be materially different from blue state democrats).
I need to find a way to help at the local level too, and I have similar constraints - 2 young kids, work and work-related travel. I am also donating to Planned Parenthood and have rededicated myself to giving blood more regularly to the Red Cross. I've been lapsing and only giving when it coincided with a blood drive at work, which seems to only happen about 3 times a year.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote:I've donated to the ACLU and the ADL so far, and will make more donations. . . . I'm looking into possible volunteer work opportunities with the ADL, and expect to get involved in mid-term campaigning leading up to 2018.
+1

I did exactly this last week. ADL is a great group, and focused on opposing all hate crimes, not just anti-semitism. They do really good work!

I've also long been a supporter of the ACLU, even though they go too far some times, at least in my mind (i.e., I don't like them sending a letter rebuking the Mayor of Portland for asking the protesters to give it a rest). But I'd rather support a group that every now and then goes too far in support of civil liberties than one that doesn't go far enough. So, so be it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
PLW

Post by PLW »

Donated to ACLU, subscribed to WaPo.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I refuse to throw away my New Balance sneakers because my choice of footwear is suddenly a political statement. I resent that.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Add a safety pin to offset.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

We haven't the money to donate much, although we give a little to the ACLU, and I believe we'll donate to Planned Parenthood tis year as well.

My wife is very active politically and will continue to be so. She has worked on local campaigns that resulted in sending good people to local office. In the immediate aftermath of an election, though, she needs a rest.

I don't know what I can do in the short term. Since the election I've been struggling every day against the return of my old depression. I wake up every night at 2:00 or 3:00 and have to practice every CBT trick I've learned to try to bring myself to a state better than despair. I feel like I'm mourning.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I've donated to Foster Campbell's campaign. I'll probably wind up donating some to the ACLU and NRDC as well. I'm also *not* going to punch my wife's Trump-voting relatives, even the Jewish ones without any sense of historical awareness, in their genitalia next time I see them.

I tried "getting involved in local politics" a few years ago, and it left such a sour taste in my mouth that I'm never going back again. Town/city level politics mostly appears to be a) bickering over things that I don't give two shits about or b) bickering over things where someone has already been bribed, something stupid is going to happen and there's nothing that can be done about it. Thus, donations to specific organizations will be all that I'm planning to do.

On a personal level, I now give myself at least four hours free of news sources and social media before bed time. It works amazingly well to help me sleep.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

NickAragua wrote:On a personal level, I now give myself at least four hours free of news sources and social media before bed time. It works amazingly well to help me sleep.
That's actually a really good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Pay for news. Donate to causes I support that are most under threat. Try to improve my quality of work at the conservation science nonprofit I am employed by so that we can better provide the science on how the environment is doing under Drumpf. And also at the same time I will try to increase my artistic expression abilities to help create the social capital needed for change. My theory is that if my maths don't convince you, that maybe you are the sort of person that is bored to tears by science (or depressed) and perhaps my pretty pictures and creative writing will still provide an impact that inspires action (or at least voting next time).
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
raydude

Post by raydude »

I would be interested in sharing your pretty pics and creative writing on social media. Feel free to post links when you have some :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I too have taken to minimizing the amount of political news I take in.
Now it's all about cutesy puppies and groping Taylor Swift.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Enough wrote:Pay for news.
I subscribed to the Christian Science Monitor which is categorized as "Least Biased" according to the Media Bias/Fact Check resource.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm playing Planet Coaster and reading Batman comics. Trump's tiny orange hands can't take those away from me!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Just live my life. Same as I have under Obama. The sky wasn't falling then when my conservative friends freaked out and it isn't falling now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote:I'm playing Planet Coaster and reading Batman comics. Trump's tiny orange hands can't take those away from me!
Until they pass the Internet Tax and bring back the Stamp Act.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Just live my life. Same as I have under Obama. The sky wasn't falling then when my conservative friends freaked out and it isn't falling now.
I understand the position and normally share it - but this is not the same. Obama is a very intelligent man who used people who were versed in the federal government. Certainly your conservative friends freaked out on ideological grounds, no?

Or Bush. While not a very intelligent man, he was serious about the job, surrounded himself with *very* experienced and credible people. Liberals who were freaking out then, and throughout the Bush Presidency were likely doing so on ideological grounds, no?

Trump is not a very intelligent man, and has instead chosen to surround himself with sycophants who also have no experience with the task at hand (Priebus has political experience but not with the federal govt, Bannon has neither). Somehow Jared Kushner appears to be calling the shots and I can't figure out what he must have on Trump to warrant that. He's equally unqualified to be making decisions or offering advice on building a cabinet.

They are on the verge of assuming control of the biggest and most complex bureaucracy in the history of mankind, and they have absolutely no fucking idea what they are doing (yet).

For my sake, I sure as shit hope they figure it out, but this is nothing like when either Bush or Obama took over.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:I'm playing Planet Coaster and reading Batman comics. Trump's tiny orange hands can't take those away from me!
:lol:
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Until they pass the Internet Tax and bring back the Stamp Act.
Also the Comics Code Authority.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smutly wrote:
I subscribed to the Christian Science Monitor which is categorized as "Least Biased" according to the Media Bias/Fact Check resource.
Who will bias rate the bias raters?
Black Lives Matter.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

El Guapo wrote:
Smutly wrote:
Who will bias rate the bias raters?
L'etat c'est moi.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enough wrote:Pay for news. Donate to causes I support that are most under threat. Try to improve my quality of work at the conservation science nonprofit I am employed by so that we can better provide the science on how the environment is doing under Drumpf. And also at the same time I will try to increase my artistic expression abilities to help create the social capital needed for change. My theory is that if my maths don't convince you, that maybe you are the sort of person that is bored to tears by science (or depressed) and perhaps my pretty pictures and creative writing will still provide an impact that inspires action (or at least voting next time).
Awesome. That's something concrete and helpful.

My own moves so far have been fairly passive: donations to the ACLU, Sierra Club, Earth Justice, and a recurring donation to the Nature Conservancy's carbon offset program that zeroes out our household's estimated footprint. We also have solar PV on our roof and procure the remainder of our electricity from wind via Xcel's WindSource program. The carbon offset ain't cheap, but it's clear to me that we don't have another four or eight years to dick around on this, and the Conservancy seems to have a good handle on effectively choosing their projects.

I'm also going to sub to a long-form journalism outlet but haven't yet decided on which.

Finally, I'm working on becoming more active in advocating for electric vehicles, which have long been an interest of mine. Thus far I'm focused on getting additional public charging stations in my area. We'll see how that goes. Selling the idea of buying equipment that can run five figures installed to people who are largely unaware that EVs are a thing can be... challenging.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Finally, I'm working on becoming more active in advocating for electric vehicles, which have long been an interest of mine. Thus far I'm focused on getting additional public charging stations in my area. We'll see how that goes. Selling the idea of buying equipment that can run five figures installed to people who are largely unaware that EVs are a thing can be... challenging.
It will be easier when they become more practical. They have a long way to go in terms of infrastructure, TCO, and practicality for anything longer than running short errands.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Your continued insistence on saying that doesn't make it any truer than it was last time. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm perpetually exhausted, so I am very sad to say that I'm not going to proactively jump out in my community, but I will make it point to be less passive when faced steamrolls of bigotry wherever they may be in front of me. That will start with next Thursday, I am sure. I'm not looking forward to it at all.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:Your continued insistence on saying that doesn't make it any truer than it was last time. :)
Your insistence that it is practical for everyone is patently false, else you would have convinced me by now. When I can drive from Chicago to Denver in 15 hours driving an electric car, then it will be practical. Until then, there are deal-breaking limitations.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote:When I can drive from Chicago to Denver in 15 hours driving an electric car, then it will be practical.
I mean, CLEARLY those are the only two options - driving 15 hours from Chicago to Denver, or else it's only good for running short errands. If the electric vehicle can get 250+ miles on a single charge, the practical use case is significantly greater than "running short errands". And you *know* that. Stop being a tool.
Make up bags of change
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:I'm perpetually exhausted, so I am very sad to say that I'm not going to proactively jump out in my community, but I will make it point to be less passive when faced steamrolls of bigotry wherever they may be in front of me. That will start with next Thursday, I am sure. I'm not looking forward to it at all.
That's the upside of not spending Football and Turkey Day with relatives. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be an issue with the friends we are planning to visit.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Jeff V wrote:When I can drive from Chicago to Denver in 15 hours driving an electric car, then it will be practical.
I mean, CLEARLY those are the only two options - driving 15 hours from Chicago to Denver, or else it's only good for running short errands. If the electric vehicle can get 250+ miles on a single charge, the practical use case is significantly greater than "running short errands". And you *know* that. Stop being a tool.
Short errands is anything in the metro area. Wake me when I get to the next city.

What percentage of models get 250 miles to the charge anyway? The Nissan Leaf for example is advertising a range of 107 miles meaning it isn't even practical for all errands in the metro area.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Your continued insistence on saying that doesn't make it any truer than it was last time. :)
Your insistence that it is practical for everyone is patently false, else you would have convinced me by now. When I can drive from Chicago to Denver in 15 hours driving an electric car, then it will be practical. Until then, there are deal-breaking limitations.
I have not said that it's practical for everyone. However, there's a giant gulf between 'long way to go ... for anything longer than running short errands' and 'Denver to Chicago in 15 hours'. They're far closer to the latter than the former. But enough derailing this thread.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote:The Nissan Leaf for example is advertising a range of 107 miles meaning it isn't even practical for all errands in the metro area.
I commute 32 miles each way to work every day. The Nissan Leaf can easily handle that. My "short" errands would be an order of magnitude LESS than that, not more. But you know that too. Because you are being ridiculous.
Make up bags of change
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everyone remain very still until the JeffV has left the thread. Avoid eye contact if you can. And for God's sake, don't mention the Amish.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Zaxxon wrote:Finally, I'm working on becoming more active in advocating for electric vehicles, which have long been an interest of mine. Thus far I'm focused on getting additional public charging stations in my area. We'll see how that goes. Selling the idea of buying equipment that can run five figures installed to people who are largely unaware that EVs are a thing can be... challenging.
BTW, if you're an advocate of coal-powered vehicles, President Trump ought to be right up your alley. :wink:
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zoom zoom...

Enlarge Image