Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

Post by Kraken » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:16 am

Here we go again: Federal judge in TX rules Obamacare unconstitutional. All of it.

Another self-inflicted wound for Republicans. If upheld, this will make Medicare-for-all the issue that shoos in Democrats in '20...after a suitable period of chaos and suffering, that is.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 am

Ive never seen a President want to intentionally hurt the American people more than Trump.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

malchior

Post by malchior » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:06 am

Kraken wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:16 am
If upheld, this will make Medicare-for-all the issue that shoos in Democrats in '20...after a suitable period of chaos and suffering, that is.
From what I've read tonight it almost certainly won't be upheld. The ruling was a shambles legally speaking according to several analysts. If it gets to the Supreme Court which is a big maybe can anyone see Roberts deciding that the mandate getting repealed invalidates the whole law? No way. The whole thing is absurd.

Holman

Post by Holman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 am

Given the right-wing penchant for projection, I assume the GOP replacement for the ACA is just straight-up Death Panels.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 am

Who will appeal? Wouldn’t that normally be the Federal government’s job? But they supported the lawsuit...

Can the other states appeal?

Exodor

Post by Exodor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:29 am

Fitzy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 am
Who will appeal? Wouldn’t that normally be the Federal government’s job? But they supported the lawsuit...

Article I read last night quoted the California AG as saying he would appeal.

Grifman

Post by Grifman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm

malchior wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:06 am
Kraken wrote:
If upheld, this will make Medicare-for-all the issue that shoos in Democrats in '20...after a suitable period of chaos and suffering, that is.
From what I've read tonight it almost certainly won't be upheld. The ruling was a shambles legally speaking according to several analysts. If it gets to the Supreme Court which is a big maybe can anyone see Roberts deciding that the mandate getting repealed invalidates the whole law? No way. The whole thing is absurd.
From what I've read, this judge is an extremely partisan hack, who makes little attempt at appearing even handed. As such this ruling was not unexpected. Indeed, it is widely believed that he had already decided a long time ago and only with held his ruling so as to not hurt Republicans in the recent elections 0 which again shows his partisanship.

Most experts, liberal and conservative regard the ruling as absurd, which just shows how badly partisan this judge is. He is clearly ignoring the intent of Congress as explicitly stated when the mandate was repealed. This was always headed to the Supreme Court. I just hope Roberts still has the courage of his convictions to overturn this as he did with his previous decision on Obamacare.

Note: I have a personal stake in this as an early retiree with pre-existing conditions, I am dependent upon Obamacare.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

Grifman

Post by Grifman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Fitzy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:42 am

The Democrats defended the law in court by hiring lawyers when the admin refused to do so.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Since the spanking that they took in the midterms is being widely blamed on their opposition to the ACA, I don't imagine most Republicans are gloating over the prospect of stripping 17+ million Grifmans of their health insurance. I hope you guys are right about the partisan SC doing the right thing.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Grifman wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm
malchior wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:06 am
Kraken wrote:
From what I've read, this judge is an extremely partisan hack, who makes little attempt at appearing even handed. As such this ruling was not unexpected. Indeed, it is widely believed that he had already decided a long time ago and only with held his ruling so as to not hurt Republicans in the recent elections 0 which again shows his partisanship.

Most experts, liberal and conservative regard the ruling as absurd, which just shows how badly partisan this judge is. He is clearly ignoring the intent of Congress as explicitly stated when the mandate was repealed. This was always headed to the Supreme Court. I just hope Roberts still has the courage of his convictions to overturn this as he did with his previous decision on Obamacare.

Note: I have a personal stake in this as an early retiree with pre-existing conditions, I am dependent upon Obamacare.
It's unnerving, but the SCOTUS majority that upheld the ACA in 2012 (liberal justices + Roberts) is all still on the court. And if Roberts wasn't inclined to overturn the ACA when the political environment was a lot more favorable to that, and when the legal arguments against it were much stronger than the one in the present lawsuit, it's really hard to see why he would do that now.

I mean, you never know, but seems unlikely.