Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

Post by LordMortis »

There is something strangely poetic about the bill that would take so much health care away from so many being held up because one of 100 senators is recovering from a surgery.

One would hope that being blessed to have surgery and a recovery time would be an epiphany for McCain and that McConnell has nothing.

That may be too much to ask though, because McCain's got his.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, the Senate Democrats are asking that this extra time be used for an opportunity to hold public hearings.

I'll pause now for laughter.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh and in reading around some more, looks like good old Mitch might be talking out of both sides of his mouth:
Johnson said that despite the Senate bill’s flaws, he was willing to vote for it because it ended the Medicaid expansion and sharply curtailed the growth of the program overall. But McConnell’s reported backroom conversations are making him doubt what he’d been promised.

“If our leader is basically saying don’t worry about it, we’ve designed it so that those reforms will never take effect, first of all, that’s a pretty significant breach of trust, and why support the bill then?” he told a small audience in Green Bay.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Two more GOP senators, Lee and Moran, just came out against the bill, so as of right now the votes aren't there. It'll be interesting to see if more GOP dissenters come out now since Lee and Moran already bit the bullet to be the votes killing the majority.

So what happens now? McConnell tries to revamp the bill again?
Captain Caveman

Holy shit. https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/8 ... 1410435073
So McConnell has abondoned Trumpcare and is saying, "fuck it, lets go full repeal with full acknowledgement that we have no earthly idea what to put in it's place".

I didn't see this coming and have no idea whether it's going to fly.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You didn't think McConnell would just give in to exactly what Trump's been tweeting about for a while now?
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So desperate to be able to say they did *something* before the midterm elections roll around.
Captain Caveman

I can't imagine this passing. The effects would be absolutely devastating, but never say never, particularly when you're talking about the GOP.

I assume this is McConnell's way of getting this thing over with one way or another...
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 7350439936
@realDonaldTrump wrote:Republicans should just REPEAL failing ObamaCare now & work on a new Healthcare Plan that will start from a clean slate. Dems will join in!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Irresponsible.

Cruzcare was a monstrosity.

What other insanity will fail next?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

I for one am shocked that working with the Dems was an empty bluff.
Captain Caveman

Collins and Capito are already out with a firm "NO" on straight repeal, and Portman was just extremely critical of the idea. As of now, it doesn't seem like "Repeal and Delay" has much momentum.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Captain Caveman wrote:As of now, it doesn't seem like "Repeal and Delay" has much momentum.
Hopefully as pressure mounts to do something, they don't cave to the "Burn it all to the ground" politics that apparently Mitch McConnell is willing to engage in. Seriously, F that guy.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Captain Caveman wrote:Collins and Capito are already out with a firm "NO" on straight repeal, and Portman was just extremely critical of the idea. As of now, it doesn't seem like "Repeal and Delay" has much momentum.
Trump himself has either a) changed his mind about repealing Obamacare overnight, or b) doesn't know the difference between repealing Obamacare and letting it just die on the vine, as evidenced by another tweet he issued this morning:
As I have always said, let ObamaCare fail and then come together and do a great healthcare plan. Stay tuned!
As he has always said? Just last night (and previously), he said REPEAL! Good lord.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, it's really hard to see "repeal and delay" flying at this point. Though one never goes broke overestimating McConnell's legislative wizardry, or the insanity of the GOP caucus, so who knows. Always possible that putting up a 'repeal and delay' vote is his way to put an end to the debate, one way or another.

I do worry about a moderate reviving the healthcare bill by proposing some 'compromise' amendment which makes the bill only 20% - 30% less horrible.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Well, at least these shirts haven't become irrelevant yet:

https://cottonbureau.com/products/repea ... k-yourself
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All I know is that former Whip Frank Underwood must be rolling his eyes and shaking his head vigorously in a horizontal direction while watching this debacle repeat over and over.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Though one never goes broke overestimating McConnell's legislative wizardry, or the insanity of the GOP caucus, so who knows.
Let's keep things in perspective a bit - the Republican-led McConnell / Ryan machine is the most unproductive Congress in 164 years.
Now, okay, technically the Ryan-McConnell 115th Congress is so far actually a bit more active than recent Congresses, if you measure by the 43 laws that President Trump has adorned with his garish signature. Obama was at 40 at this point in 2009. George W. Bush had signed even fewer midway through 2001. But sheer number is not the best way to think about how much is being achieved. As The Washington Post's Philip Bump pointed out, a majority of the bills signed by Trump thus far have been one page long, meaning many are just symbolic or ceremonial.
More:
The result, regardless, is that this Congress is going to be historically unproductive. How can I be so sure of this? One measure of what Congress is likely to do the rest of the year is to look at bills that have already passed the House but are awaiting action in the Senate. There are 238 of them. Amazingly, GovTrack gives only 13 a better than 50 percent chance of actually arriving on President Trump's desk in their current form. If that holds up, Trump will have signed just 56 laws by the beginning of the 2018 congressional session. If this tortoise-like pace continues, he will preside over the least productive Congress since Millard Fillmore signed just 74 bills sent to him by the brink-of-war 32nd Congress between 1851 and 1853.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:
Except that there are 100 senators.

So it looks like the Republicans not only can't replace the ACA, they can't destroy it, either. And unless they actively sabotage it, it's only going to fail in the usual failed states. Obamacare marketplaces just had their most profitable quarter ever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Though one never goes broke overestimating McConnell's legislative wizardry, or the insanity of the GOP caucus, so who knows.
Let's keep things in perspective a bit - the Republican-led McConnell / Ryan machine is the most unproductive Congress in 164 years.
Now, okay, technically the Ryan-McConnell 115th Congress is so far actually a bit more active than recent Congresses, if you measure by the 43 laws that President Trump has adorned with his garish signature. Obama was at 40 at this point in 2009. George W. Bush had signed even fewer midway through 2001. But sheer number is not the best way to think about how much is being achieved. As The Washington Post's Philip Bump pointed out, a majority of the bills signed by Trump thus far have been one page long, meaning many are just symbolic or ceremonial.
More:
The result, regardless, is that this Congress is going to be historically unproductive. How can I be so sure of this? One measure of what Congress is likely to do the rest of the year is to look at bills that have already passed the House but are awaiting action in the Senate. There are 238 of them. Amazingly, GovTrack gives only 13 a better than 50 percent chance of actually arriving on President Trump's desk in their current form. If that holds up, Trump will have signed just 56 laws by the beginning of the 2018 congressional session. If this tortoise-like pace continues, he will preside over the least productive Congress since Millard Fillmore signed just 74 bills sent to him by the brink-of-war 32nd Congress between 1851 and 1853.

You were wishing more their agendas were becoming law?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote:You were wishing more their agendas were becoming law?
Not at all. I'm just thinking maybe McConnell doesn't have the juice that everyone believes - like how Paul Ryan was a "policy wonk" before Trump was elected. I'm guessing the greatest achievement will be that he held a Supreme Court seat open. While I'm hoping he'll forever be remembered as a shitbird for this healthcare nonsense, I'm guessing in time the Supreme Court ridiculousness will be his legacy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think McConnell will be remembered for projecting power well beyond his 'legislative' reach. The Supreme Court nomination was probably biggest impact but he obstructed Obama appointments to the District Circuits very effectively for years maintaining a Republican lean in the Federal judiciary. He also forced Obama to use his pen to make changes enabling a future Republican President to rollback [edit]significant portions[/edit] of his legacy. He generally has also maintained party discipline very well. The healthcare debacle was hoisted on him against his will really and it was an uphill battle from the beginning; still he almost pulled it off with his obfuscation bullshit. Paul Ryan wishes he was 10% as effective as McConnell. :)
Last edited by malchior on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think McConnell will be forgotten within less than a decade after he dies. He won't even have an jeopardy questions about him. The good news about that, is that means his shameless power grab shouldn't be too powerful or long lasting... Unless shit really changes under this administration and Congress... Then he'll be remembered for being the PoS he is. He'll be part of a triad with Trump as the figurehead and Ryan on the other side.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can someone translate this?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is there an Idiot Whisperer in the house?
He won. Period.
Captain Caveman

I dunno, "The Dems scream death as OCare dies" is some of the best writing he's every done. It's almost poetic.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

OCare?

Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:Can someone translate this?

That would be an awfully short discussion. When the only positive is that it doesn't have Obama's name attached, that doesn't get you very far.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe Trump listens to NPR? One of the political commentators yesterday was talking about how Trump and the Repubs never said what was good about their bill, just what was terrible about Obamacare. Also, he has a lunch with Senate Repubs today, so maybe that'll make the bill all better?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Can someone translate this?

That would be an awfully short discussion. When the only positive is that it doesn't have Obama's name attached, that doesn't get you very far.

It will reduce the burden of subsidies on Cadillac plans and ultimately feed the promised tax cuts to the top annual income earners of $250,000 or more on a progressive decrease, I think. It will also allow people to opt out without tax penalties, won't it?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Maybe Trump listens to NPR? One of the political commentators yesterday was talking about how Trump and the Repubs never said what was good about their bill, just what was terrible about Obamacare.
My God, the "I know you are, but what am I" defense. :shock:

Truly, Trump is the Moriarty of Twitter.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote:
Well, it isn't as impressive as the Dems 48-0
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Now he's telling them they shouldn't leave town until they pass something. Maybe, just maybe they should take their time and work with the other side? Nah that's crazy...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Captain Caveman

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/ ... 4006109184
:violence-smack:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well nothing happened the last time he made threats via Twitter so why should this be any different. This vote is absolutely a purity test. Mitch knows its DOA but if he can use the vote to allow the hardline senators that have been harping on this for years, promising their constituents they'd do something to vote YES, then so be it. And if they vote NO? Well, then we'll get someone ever more conservative elected next time.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump doesn't understand probability -- Heller is probably 80% toast if he doesn't defect and 60% toast if he does defect. The math is pretty simple here.
Captain Caveman

The CBO is out with its analysis of a straight repeal of the ACA. Compared to current law, 17 million more uninsured next year, 32 million by 2026; premiums increase 25% by next year and by 50% by 2026.

link
malchior

Post by malchior »

Let me help. Fake news. The CBO is inaccurate. The ACA invites Satan into our hearts.