Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Remus West

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on healthcare

Post by Remus West »

GreenGoo wrote:Their bosses are the ones who keep them in office. Sometimes that's the American public, but not often enough it seems.
Too true.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

WATCH LIVE: Senate committee holds hearing on Graham-Cassidy health care bill

I watched a little bit of it. Cassidy stated that he was assured that there would be a bipartisan push after the repeal failed the last time, but that it went nowhere. HA! it's gone nowhere because the Republican congressional leadership put a stop to the two attempts. (He also claimed that he was the one working on it, with Collins. Uh, Collins is Republican not Democrat, and of the two attempts, he wasn't the Republican involved (it was Susan Collins in one and Lamar Alexander in another, from what I understand).

He also said there was broad bipartisan agreement - that fifteen Democrats agree with Republicans that Obamacare was failing, when they signed up for a single payer plan. Gee, who would have predicted that?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Collins just came out as a firm no, likely killing this iteration.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm not going to feel comfortable until Murkowski comes out as a firm no.

Though on the plus side Cruz is saying that he and Lee are probably nos at this point, though I really doubt that they will remain "no" if it matters.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I suppose we should be thankful that at least three out of 52 GOP senators have some integrity (although I don't know if you can count Paul among them since his beef was that the bill wasn't radical enough). If they still haven't rammed something through by Thanksgiving, that's what I'll be thankful for this year.

This latest version reportedly contained some serious bribes for AK and ME. A senator's first allegiance is to her state, so it takes some special moxie to reject gifts like that for the greater good.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote:I suppose we should be thankful that at least three out of 52 GOP senators have some integrity (although I don't know if you can count Paul among them since his beef was that the bill wasn't radical enough). If they still haven't rammed something through by Thanksgiving, that's what I'll be thankful for this year.

This latest version reportedly contained some serious bribes for AK and ME. A senator's first allegiance is to her state, so it takes some special moxie to reject gifts like that for the greater good.
+1
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

wow - great! , just love it! (non-sarcastic)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote:
Kraken wrote:I suppose we should be thankful that at least three out of 52 GOP senators have some integrity (although I don't know if you can count Paul among them since his beef was that the bill wasn't radical enough). If they still haven't rammed something through by Thanksgiving, that's what I'll be thankful for this year.

+1
Well, a couple caveats on that are that as I understand it the bill would give the HHS secretary unilateral authority to alter the block grant formula, so it may be possible to withdraw those bribes later. Also this bill (like variants before it) are dramatically unpopular, so I'm not sure whether the state benefits would have outweighed the political costs of supporting the bill.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:
Unagi wrote:

+1
Well, a couple caveats on that are that as I understand it the bill would give the HHS secretary unilateral authority to alter the block grant formula, so it may be possible to withdraw those bribes later. Also this bill (like variants before it) are dramatically unpopular, so I'm not sure whether the state benefits would have outweighed the political costs of supporting the bill.
I'd rather think that the senators recognize that their sweeteners turn bitter when the healthcare sector collapses and drags the economy down with it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To me is shocking and sad and scary that out of the whole of the Republicans in DC that only 3 have common sense or a sliver of compassion.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm glad that it looks like this thing's going to fail, but I'm not fully relieved for a few reasons:

1) Until Murkowski gives a firm no, we're relying on Paul not to give in and flip, which he's been known to do before.
2) Of the three no votes currently likely, only one is a no because the bill is terrible and will do terrible things. One is a no because he doesn't like the process that got the bill here, and the other is a no because it doesn't get rid of enough of the existing health care law. Theoretically, if the Republicans managed to draft a bill that cut even more, but held at least a few hearings on it, they'd get both Paul and McCain in the yes column, and that gets this through even with Collins and Mukowski voting against.
3) The GOP has made it really obvious that they want health care dead dead dead. If this fails, they'll either try again, or figure out ways to undermine the existing law. It's basically a crusade for them at this point. They're essentially legislative suicide bombers with the goal of dismantling the ACA, and they don't care about collateral damage. I don't know how you fight that.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaz wrote:I don't know how you fight that.
You hope that they continue to remain legislatively impotent on the issue (like the last 7 years) and then hope even harder that people actually vote during the next election cycle. When you have elected officials crusading for what they personally think is important in contrast to what the voting public wants? It's mind-boggling. To be clear, there are going to be times when elected officials need to make unpopular decisions, but taking away healthcare? F all these guys (and gals) that are entertaining it. They're beyond disgusting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:I'm glad that it looks like this thing's going to fail, but I'm not fully relieved for a few reasons:

1) Until Murkowski gives a firm no, we're relying on Paul not to give in and flip, which he's been known to do before.
2) Of the three no votes currently likely, only one is a no because the bill is terrible and will do terrible things. One is a no because he doesn't like the process that got the bill here, and the other is a no because it doesn't get rid of enough of the existing health care law. Theoretically, if the Republicans managed to draft a bill that cut even more, but held at least a few hearings on it, they'd get both Paul and McCain in the yes column, and that gets this through even with Collins and Mukowski voting against.
3) The GOP has made it really obvious that they want health care dead dead dead. If this fails, they'll either try again, or figure out ways to undermine the existing law. It's basically a crusade for them at this point. They're essentially legislative suicide bombers with the goal of dismantling the ACA, and they don't care about collateral damage. I don't know how you fight that.
Yeah, I agree. Collins is the only GOP senator that I am reasonably confident is a "no" on pretty much any plausible type of GOP bill.

There are a couple plus sides, though. While McCain's objection is procedure based (bill must go through regular procedure, allow both sides to amend, etc.), it's a procedure that would require democratic inputs and democratic vote. There is no possible GOP repeal bill that could pass via regular order. So as long as McCain sticks to his procedural objection (no idea how likely that is), the ACA won't be repealed.

Also, my hope for Paul is that he really is cynical and self-interested. He is from Kentucky, so can't be seen to be supporting Obamacare. But on the other hand he's smart enough to know that the repeal bills are all awful and will also be politically catastrophic. Hence "denounce and preserve" - denounce any bill that's near final passage as insufficiently conservative, with the ultimate effect of preserving Obamacare.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Murkowski was asked where she was on Graham-Cassidy, and she said, "I don't think that we're going to have a vote."
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, getting a Dem majority is probably the only way you stem the current tide of trying to kill it legislatively.

The other (bigger?) worry is Trump sabotaging it in place. So much of the execution and implementation of the existing law falls on the executive that one determined guy, and Trump is nothing if not determined to stick it to libs in general and Obama in particular, can undermine a lot of it on his own. We're already seeing this with the administration redirecting funding intended to advertise for the ACA enrollment toward "educating" the public about how bad it is, shortening the open enrollment period, and suddenly needing weekly 12 hour maintenance periods on healthcare.gov during the weekend for open enrollment. Add to that him adding uncertainty around ongoing premium assistance payments that are directly causing premiums to go up, and you've got Trump implementing the death spiral himself.

Short of electing not-Trump in 2020, there's very little we can do against that kind of assault. Unless I'm missing something.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:Yeah, getting a Dem majority is probably the only way you stem the current tide of trying to kill it legislatively.

The other (bigger?) worry is Trump sabotaging it in place. So much of the execution and implementation of the existing law falls on the executive that one determined guy, and Trump is nothing if not determined to stick it to libs in general and Obama in particular, can undermine a lot of it on his own. We're already seeing this with the administration redirecting funding intended to advertise for the ACA enrollment toward "educating" the public about how bad it is, shortening the open enrollment period, and suddenly needing weekly 12 hour maintenance periods on healthcare.gov during the weekend for open enrollment. Add to that him adding uncertainty around ongoing premium assistance payments that are directly causing premiums to go up, and you've got Trump implementing the death spiral himself.

Short of electing not-Trump in 2020, there's very little we can do against that kind of assault. Unless I'm missing something.
If repeal can be stalled long enough, I figure that most Republicans are not going to want to be discussing hugely unpopular repeal efforts during the 2018 election cycle. Also to some degree this is being driven by GOP donors, and (while this is a little speculative) I wonder if as the 2018 cycle approaches they might be sobered up (into donating to GOP candidates regardless of repeal) by the prospect of losing one or both houses of Congress to democrats.

As for sabotage...that's harder. One possibility (both an 'out' on repeal for the GOP and a fix for sabotage) is a bipartisan fix bill that limits the president's ability to sabotage the ACA. The GOP might ultimately agree to go along with that if they / Trump can call it 'repeal and replace', and as long as they get some kind of concession that they can wave around.

The other upshot to sabotage is that it's more easily fixed once Democrats regain power.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The other wildcard is with McCain's brain cancer, there's at least some chance that he could have to leave the Senate before 2018, in which case his replacement would be nominated by the Republican governor of AZ.

Also an outside chance that Menendez (D-NJ) gets convicted of corruption felony charges before 2018, in which case he could be forced out, in which case Chris Christie would pick his (temporary) replacement.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote:The other wildcard is with McCain's brain cancer, there's at least some chance that he could have to leave the Senate before 2018, in which case his replacement would be nominated by the Republican governor of AZ.

Also an outside chance that Menendez (D-NJ) gets convicted of corruption felony charges before 2018, in which case he could be forced out, in which case Chris Christie would pick his (temporary) replacement.
Dude, you are not helping. :shock:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:The other wildcard is with McCain's brain cancer, there's at least some chance that he could have to leave the Senate before 2018, in which case his replacement would be nominated by the Republican governor of AZ.

McCain called his prognosis "very, very serious," saying that some cite a 3% chance of survival, some say 14%. Either way, he's very likely dying, and odds are that he'll be replaced by someone terrible. One hopes that he can hold on until next November.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:

This makes me feel better on the Menendez thing. The key part:
Even a bribery conviction would not automatically force Mr. Menendez from office, under the Senate rules. He would either have to voluntarily resign his seat, or two-thirds of his Senate colleagues — including at least 15 Democrats — would have to vote to expel him.
It would be politically awkward, but there is no chance that 15 democrats effectively agree to give Trump another senate seat, especially when they will just have to wait a couple months post-conviction until January, when Christie's (very very likely) democratic successor will take office.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:

McCain called his prognosis "very, very serious," saying that some cite a 3% chance of survival, some say 14%. Either way, he's very likely dying, and odds are that he'll be replaced by someone terrible. One hopes that he can hold on until next November.
Does anyone know much about Gov. Ducey? Is he a tea party type, or someone relatively sensible?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:Does anyone know much about Gov. Ducey?
All I know is he's not a #1 guy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote:
Kraken wrote:

Does anyone know much about Gov. Ducey? Is he a tea party type, or someone relatively sensible?
He came out in support of the latest repeal and replace, but other than that I don't know.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

After 10/1, when's the next time the Republicans can pull their 50 vote reconciliation trick?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote:After 10/1, when's the next time the Republicans can pull their 50 vote reconciliation trick?
I doubt it would be very long. IIRC early this year they passed a reconciliation bill to basically make all the future reconciliation shenanigans possible. I assume that they would have to pass a new reconciliation bill after 10/1, though I doubt that would take very long. Also bear in mind that McConnell is both good at his job and pretty ruthless, so he would be open to a lot of different options.

In short I have seen a lot that suggest that the 9/30 deadline is semi-artificial. However, the caveat is that since they only get one a year, if they don't do it by 9/30 then they would have to do health care and taxes together (or not do one), neither of which would be super appealing.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote:
Defiant wrote:After 10/1, when's the next time the Republicans can pull their 50 vote reconciliation trick?
I doubt it would be very long. IIRC early this year they passed a reconciliation bill to basically make all the future reconciliation shenanigans possible. I assume that they would have to pass a new reconciliation bill after 10/1, though I doubt that would take very long. Also bear in mind that McConnell is both good at his job and pretty ruthless, so he would be open to a lot of different options.

In short I have seen a lot that suggest that the 9/30 deadline is semi-artificial. However, the caveat is that since they only get one a year, if they don't do it by 9/30 then they would have to do health care and taxes together (or not do one), neither of which would be super appealing.

Would the Democrats be able to filibuster/slow down the new reconciliation bill?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

Would the Democrats be able to filibuster/slow down the new reconciliation bill?
They couldn't filibuster the new reconciliation bill (if they could, they would have done that the first time). There are various ways to slow things down, although it's not possible to slow things down enough to prevent repeal before the next Congress is sworn in. Although once the 2018 election season gets heated up, I doubt that a majority senators and representatives are going to be wanting to be in the middle of wildly unpopular repeal efforts.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

El Guapo wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

Even a bribery conviction would not automatically force Mr. Menendez from office, under the Senate rules. He would either have to voluntarily resign his seat, or two-thirds of his Senate colleagues — including at least 15 Democrats — would have to vote to expel him.
It would be politically awkward, but there is no chance that 15 democrats effectively agree to give Trump another senate seat, especially when they will just have to wait a couple months post-conviction until January, when Christie's (very very likely) democratic successor will take office.
It would suck for the Dems to lose a Senate seat, but if the dude is convicted of fraud/bribery (I know nothing about the case), then they should vote him out.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

It would suck for the Dems to lose a Senate seat, but if the dude is convicted of fraud/bribery (I know nothing about the case), then they should vote him out.
If waiting a couple months to expel him would save the health insurance of 15 - 30 million people (say), would you?

It gets thornier if the Democratic candidate loses the NJ governor's race, though thanks to Mr. Christie the democrat is a heavy, heavy favorite at the moment.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:
How awful is a situation where you have to hope your corrupt politician STAYS in power long enough for the greater good. I mean, geezus.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
How awful is a situation where you have to hope your corrupt politician STAYS in power long enough for the greater good. I mean, geezus.
To be fair, Menendez pled not guilty and is fighting the charges. I know almost nothing about the underlying facts of the case, so it's at least possible that he's not actually corrupt (or at least, not corrupt in the way that he was charged).

But if he is guilty - yeah, it's less than ideal. And do you factor in that Christie (who could replace him) is himself super corrupt?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Word is that Republican leadership has decided against holding a vote on Graham-Cassidy.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:Word is that Republican leadership has decided against holding a vote on Graham-Cassidy.
It's dead.

For this month at least. Fucking zombie bills.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

STATES' RIGHTS!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: STATES' RIGHTS!
As long as ACA coverage mandates remain in effect, that should have little-to-no effect. If they repeal those mandates, the groundwork is laid for a quick race to the bottom.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also "insurance sales across state lines" has been a conservative thing for years, I think going back to pre-Obama days. I would hazard a guess that if the legal case for doing that via executive action was strong, Bush would have done it.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:Also "insurance sales across state lines" has been a conservative thing for years, I think going back to pre-Obama days. I would hazard a guess that if the legal case for doing that via executive action was strong, Bush would have done it.
I don't understand why people are against insurance across state lines. Why can't I buy my health insurance from a company in Texas if I live in CA? What is the origin of this restriction? Doesn't it just force companies like Blue Shield to setup 50 entities that all do the same thing for each state?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow