Too Late To Start Thinking About 2018?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Some of Claire McCaskill's ads have been the opposite of attacking Trump. They're touting her independence and ability to work with both Dems and the GOP. The last image of one of the ads is her sitting next to Trump. It's gross.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:58 pm Some of Claire McCaskill's ads have been the opposite of attacking Trump. They're touting her independence and ability to work with both Dems and the GOP. The last image of one of the ads is her sitting next to Trump. It's gross.
I mean, she's running in Missouri, and Missouri loves them some Trump. If she's going to win she can't be seen as a straight democrat, she has to be seen as a "different kind of Democrat".
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, that's probably the smart move.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's a veritable smorgasbord of unlikeability.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another missed opportunity was to keep Menendez on the ticket here in NJ. He has basically retreated into his keep and is waiting until the last minute to charge the siege at the gates. His primary challenger came in at 40%. Had she succeeded she at least wouldn't have been awash in corruption allegations and been battered by a corruption trial. The Dems sure do like to stick by people even when they shouldn't.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 pm Honestly, that's probably the smart move.
I understand why she's doing it and I'm of course still going to vote for her, but it doesn't make the ad any less nauseating.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cruz is bucking for a pardon for all those Zodiac murders.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What if he gets re elected and the killings start again?
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am I do worry that the migrant caravan is likely to give Republicans a short term boost. Nothing fits Trump's political messaging to his base better than thousands of central American migrants moving en masse to the border.
Yeah, they have found their 2018 election strategy: straight-up racism.

The administration is casting the asylum seekers as the plot of the grotesquely racist French novel (pushed by Steve Bannon in interviews) where an army of brown migrants descends on Europe and cause the end of civilization.

It would be hard for them to be more obvious than this.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m curious why they think a giant wall would somehow be a deterrent for this caravan. Do they think that if a wall were in place, they’d all just say “oh, never mind then” and simply turn around?

The narrative that these people are going to just show up and swarm in over the border World War Z style is just absurd....yet here we are.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:47 am I’m curious why they think a giant wall would somehow be a deterrent for this caravan. Do they think that if a wall were in place, they’d all just say “oh, never mind then” and simply turn around?

The narrative that these people are going to just show up and swarm in over the border World War Z style is just absurd....yet here we are.
Trump has already suggested deploying the military to close the border, so, yeah, we're here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:38 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am I do worry that the migrant caravan is likely to give Republicans a short term boost. Nothing fits Trump's political messaging to his base better than thousands of central American migrants moving en masse to the border.
Yeah, they have found their 2018 election strategy: straight-up racism.
With all the levers of power and no reason to not be successful might as well strip down to the basic essentials they've used for decades - just now out in the open since it is 'safe'.
Holman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:02 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:47 am I’m curious why they think a giant wall would somehow be a deterrent for this caravan. Do they think that if a wall were in place, they’d all just say “oh, never mind then” and simply turn around?

Trump has already suggested deploying the military to close the border, so, yeah, we're here.
This is his opportunity to blatantly interfere with the mid-terms. Let's hope someone talks him out of it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't even get this caravan thing. Are they monitoring a group of people acting like locusts migrating in unstoppable weather pattern fashion north over the course of years where only a billions of dollar wall will stop them?
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:38 amIt would be hard for them to be more obvious than this.
The North Carolina GOP Vice Chair: Hold my beer

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:51 am
Holman wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:38 amIt would be hard for them to be more obvious than this.
The North Carolina GOP Vice Chair: Hold my beer

And then there's the gesture from the Republican hand... :think:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Hack Gap.

Or: why the media focuses so much on shit like "deplorables" and not about Trump's random shit.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Defiant wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:00 am And then there's the gesture from the Republican hand... :think:
The lily-white GOP hand, as opposed to the... swarthy... Democratic hand? Seems OK to me... :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Republicans will totally protect people with Pre-Existing Conditions, Democrats will not! Vote Republican.
Tweet from the orange one. -Oct 24, 2018 07:45:10 AM

His universe is completely out of alignment.

TEXAS v. AZAR
stessier

Post by stessier »

This could be useful.
Every candidate and referendum, explained.
Enter your address to research every name and issue on the ballot with BallotReady.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:10 pm This could be useful.
Every candidate and referendum, explained.
Enter your address to research every name and issue on the ballot with BallotReady.
Nice to see all the candidates listed, but it's missing any ballot measures for my area at least.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 pm Early voting starts today in Texas. I plan on going out on Saturday.
Texas Tribune is reporting that 2 days in, the early voting turnout in El Paso County has already exceeded the entire early voting turnout for the 2014 midterms. Overall in the state, the turnout is now expected to approach that of a presidential election year.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gilraen wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:37 pm Early voting starts today in Texas. I plan on going out on Saturday.
Texas Tribune is reporting that 2 days in, the early voting turnout in El Paso County has already exceeded the entire early voting turnout for the 2014 midterms. Overall in the state, the turnout is now expected to approach that of a presidential election year.
Just to point out, Texas's had one of the lowest (or maybe the lowest) turnout in 2014 and 2016, so this might not be as impressive as it sounds.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:58 pm Some of Claire McCaskill's ads have been the opposite of attacking Trump. They're touting her independence and ability to work with both Dems and the GOP. The last image of one of the ads is her sitting next to Trump. It's gross.
I mean, she's running in Missouri, and Missouri loves them some Trump. If she's going to win she can't be seen as a straight democrat, she has to be seen as a "different kind of Democrat".

Ugh.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Where's the giant eye roll emoji when you need it?
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

We did our civic duty today but only one of us got a sticker
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll be talking to the wife about her voting tomorrow on her day off, while I plan on going Saturday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I mailed my mostly symbolic (as a liberal in Utah) vote in last week. Need to remind Mrs Skinypupy to get hers in the mail as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Gillum with the zinger!

Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Gillum should have this in the bag, but the document dump this week in the FBI investigation has made for some terrible headlines. Essentially, the documents imply he knowingly received Hamilton tickets paid for by a lobbying group. Gillum claims his brother bought him the ticket, not the lobbyists.

Whatever the truth is, the headlines have been brutal. I fear it might be enough to kill the enthusiasm a little.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GungHo wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:20 pm Image

We did our civic duty today but only one of us got a sticker
That dude don't look 18 to me.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Surprise! Trump just tweeted that he is sending the military to the border to keep us "safe". Hopefully Congress can Chand the laws to save us from brown.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I like the phrase "Democrat inspired" laws. I guess people just look at the Democrats and then write bad laws?
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

MUST BE CHANDED
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oooh, goody, we get to define a new word.

Chanded - v. To welcome foreign visitors with tea cakes and Super Big Gulps.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Georgia NAACP filed complaints Tuesday with state election officials alleging that some voting machines mistakenly showed votes cast for Democrat Stacey Abrams registering for her opponent Republican Brian Kemp.

The state conference of the NAACP filed the complaints electronically with the Georgia Secretary of State Office saying some voting machines in two counties, including Bartow and Dodge, didn’t initially register the correct votes.

"We’ve experienced this before," said Phyllis Blake, president of the Georgia NAACP. “They ended up taking these old dilapidated machines out of service. The ones giving the problems. They should have been replaced about 10 years ago."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 741406002/
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fox is now reporting that "hundreds" of the military are going to defend the border. From the caravan...that is about a 1000 miles away. Cool.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not just Fox. The AP has a story:
The Trump administration is planning to dispatch 800 more troops to the border at the direction of a president who has declared illegal immigration a “national emergency” and has been stoking fears about it ahead of the fast-approaching midterms just as he did before his own election.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is expected to sign an order as early as Thursday sending 800 or more troops to the southern border to support the Border Patrol, according to a U.S. official. The official was not authorized to speak publicly because the details had not yet been finalized and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Fears of voter suppression were again ignited in Georgia on Thursday after state Democratic officials said that more than 4,700 vote-by-mail applications were missing in DeKalb County, one of Georgia’s most populous and liberal-leaning regions.
ttps://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/us/politics/ ... tions.html
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm Not just Fox. The AP has a story:
The Trump administration is planning to dispatch 800 more troops to the border at the direction of a president who has declared illegal immigration a “national emergency” and has been stoking fears about it ahead of the fast-approaching midterms just as he did before his own election.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is expected to sign an order as early as Thursday sending 800 or more troops to the southern border to support the Border Patrol, according to a U.S. official. The official was not authorized to speak publicly because the details had not yet been finalized and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Well, if he feels that 800 more troops will secure the border against the horde rapidly approaching horde then we could cut a deal with him. Simply fund 800 more border patrol agents and stick his damned wall up his ass.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken