Too Late To Start Thinking About 2018?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm going to go ahead a say it.

It is not too soon to start thinking about 2018.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

More fainting couch material - here is his reaction to the arrest of the Evil Midnight "Bomber" What "Bombs" at Midnight.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He's going to lose his grip when MAGABomber really gains traction.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:55 am I'm going to go ahead a say it.

Brave.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am

Brave.
I can take the pressure. Fortunately, I have kids who can screen my mail for me.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:37 am More fainting couch material - here is his reaction to the arrest of the Evil Midnight "Bomber" What "Bombs" at Midnight.

He's got the de-emphasis and fake news angles down, all we need is Democrats justify the action in a similar tweet and we've hit the trifeca I've come to expect.

This is why even when he briefly says the right thing (or in this instance tweet the right thing, which might have literally been a first), I always assume he's going to back out of it in to "me, a total con!" territory. (Though it does feel nice to occasionally have that half day where he's not instantly fanning flames.)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, now that we've got that answered, I can change the subject line.
Defiant

Re: Too Late To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One of the things that Nate Silver has been talking about in 538, regarding the House model, is how Democrats have bonkers outraised Republicans throughout the midterm cycle, to an unprecedented degree. Fundraising has been a material predictor of election outcomes in the past (both because it provides resources to the campaign and because it is an indicator of electorate enthusiasm), so it's one of the indicators pointing most strongly in the Democrats' favor. But on the other hand maybe because of the now ease of online fundraising, and the degree to which people may donate across state lines (e.g., the $100 trillion in donations to Beto), maybe it's not as strong an indicator of electorate enthusiasm as in the past?

We'll see.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:59 pm
One of the things that Nate Silver has been talking about in 538, regarding the House model, is how Democrats have bonkers outraised Republicans throughout the midterm cycle, to an unprecedented degree. Fundraising has been a material predictor of election outcomes in the past (both because it provides resources to the campaign and because it is an indicator of electorate enthusiasm), so it's one of the indicators pointing most strongly in the Democrats' favor. But on the other hand maybe because of the now ease of online fundraising, and the degree to which people may donate across state lines (e.g., the $100 trillion in donations to Beto), maybe it's not as strong an indicator of electorate enthusiasm as in the past?

We'll see.
If every email sent by the DNC generates jut $1 in donations, then all of their candidates can live comfortably in palaces constructed of stacks of money. A large number of these endless solicitations are for out-of-area candidates.

Something like a Public Radio quarterly beg-a-thon I can deal with. Dozens of emails per day not so much -- and I'll never reward that tactic by contributing.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Defiant wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Might I suggest something like:
ILB says "Not too soon to start thinking about 2018"
or
This just in! ILB says "Never too soon for 2018!"

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

We'll see.
If every email sent by the DNC generates jut $1 in donations, then all of their candidates can live comfortably in palaces constructed of stacks of money. A large number of these endless solicitations are for out-of-area candidates.

Something like a Public Radio quarterly beg-a-thon I can deal with. Dozens of emails per day not so much -- and I'll never reward that tactic by contributing.
What tactic would work? Just cultivating the Koch Brothers of the world?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

We'll see.

I often get fundraising e-mails from the DNC that purport to be from some Democratic big wig. "Michele Obama - Michael, you need to donate to Beto!" "Joe Biden - Michael, you need to donate to Beto!"

The other day I got one of those, only it was under my name. It was myself writing to myself to donate to Democrats.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm

or
Shouldn't the next step be "About the Right Time to Start Thinking About 2018?"?
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm

or
Shouldn't the next step be "About the Right Time to Start Thinking About 2018?"?
No, it's pretty much time to stop thinking about Thanksgiving2018 and start thinking about Christmas2020
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm What tactic would work? Just cultivating the Koch Brothers of the world?
I dunno but spamming me with calls, emails, and texts does not make me friendly to your cause no matter what it is. Not even wounded veterans. It's crossing a line uninvited into my personal space that I consider precious. I'm fuming pissed at whatever list democrats put me on for donating to Obama in once in 2008. 10 years later and I'm getting many texts a day this election cycle that I have to pay for and my paying for your unsolicited invasion of my space that somehow is protected by your first amendment rights is costing me 10 cents a pop.

And you want to know why I'm pissed at McConnell the Congress that allows him to stack the supreme court precisely so they can protect him and Rove and the "dark" money they mange from the shadows?

Burn that tactic to ground and damned the democrats for making use of it and double damn the republicans to Hell for twisting this Republic to frame me as the oppressor for their violation of my private space.

This is a sore spot for me, if you can't tell...
Holman

Post by Holman »

But isn't soliciting donations from potential supporters the opposite of Dark Money?

I'm not fond of spam either, but the solution is campaign finance reform. Until then, candidates need cash any way they can get it.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:35 pm But isn't soliciting donations from potential supporters the opposite of Dark Money?

I'm not fond of spam either, but the solution is campaign finance reform. Until then, candidates need cash any way they can get it.
I agree but also don't care about this problem as it regards their ability to fund raise. I'm with LM. If anyone calls me unsolicited for anything then they are on my shit list.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:35 pm But isn't soliciting donations from potential supporters the opposite of Dark Money?

I agree but also don't care about this problem as it regards their ability to fund raise. I'm with LM. If anyone calls me unsolicited for anything then they are on my shit list.
Why are you answering the phone?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:03 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Why are you answering the phone?
Occasionally I have to pick up numbers I don't know. Say this week when I was waiting for a service call. Most of the time it is fine but sometimes it is a political call or worse a job recruiter. A cold call is no way to begin a relationship with a recruiter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:44 am He's going to lose his grip when MAGABomber really gains traction.
How should we measure the explosive force of this bomb stuff?

In magatons.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:44 am He's going to lose his grip when MAGABomber really gains traction.

In magatons.
That's the first time I've laughed all day.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm 10 years later and I'm getting many texts a day this election cycle that I have to pay for and my paying for your unsolicited invasion of my space that somehow is protected by your first amendment rights is costing me 10 cents a pop.
The much more important question is what medieval phone plan are you on that charges you per text? :shock:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 pm

In magatons.
That's the first time I've laughed all day.
:clap: Alefroth.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lookin' good, voter!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Voted today as well. Easy peasy, though it sucks that they allow people from both parties to harass you on the way in with ballot pamphlets and the like. You come to my house, blow up my phone, throw signs all over the city - you'd think the one place I could get some peace is when I actually show up at the ballot box.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:14 pm Lookin' good, voter!
:D

That guy has Masters written all over him!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote:Voted today as well. Easy peasy, though it sucks that they allow people from both parties to harass you on the way in with ballot pamphlets and the like. You come to my house, blow up my phone, throw signs all over the city - you'd think the one place I could get some peace is when I actually show up at the ballot box.
There’s usually a distance rule, but it’s insufficiently balanced against free speech rules to keep them far enough away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:16 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm 10 years later and I'm getting many texts a day this election cycle that I have to pay for and my paying for your unsolicited invasion of my space that somehow is protected by your first amendment rights is costing me 10 cents a pop.
The much more important question is what medieval phone plan are you on that charges you per text? :shock:
The cheapest one I could get short of pre-paid. It is time to re-eveluate though, as prices have come down on more full featured plans and pre-paid is also way better than it used to be.
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:03 pm Why are you answering the phone?
To shut it up and keep from having to go to voicemail to delete their message or missed call alerts.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image
I like the hat!
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I voted on Friday, and for the first time since 2004 had to actually wait in a line. It took about 30 minutes in total. We have 13 amendments on the ballot here in Florida, and the majority of the rubes must be waiting until they get in the voting booth to actually read them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I finished researching the lower-level races on my ballot today -- they're mostly unopposed incumbents -- so I'm ready to vote this week. Kind of bugs me that I'm supporting so many incumbents, but our state govt is functioning pretty well and none of the challengers have made a compelling case to throw the bums out.

Ordinarily I don't like to vote early because of the potential for last-minute revelations that might make me regret my choices. But the polls are likely to be especially busy this year, so I'll gamble that we won't learn at the 11th hour that Incumbent Name has been secretly abusing priests or has a Republican love child or something.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:53 pm I finished researching the lower-level races on my ballot today -- they're mostly unopposed incumbents -- so I'm ready to vote this week. Kind of bugs me that I'm supporting so many incumbents, but our state govt is functioning pretty well and none of the challengers have made a compelling case to throw the bums out.

Ordinarily I don't like to vote early because of the potential for last-minute revelations that might make me regret my choices. But the polls are likely to be especially busy this year, so I'll gamble that we won't learn at the 11th hour that Incumbent Name has been secretly abusing priests or has a Republican love child or something.
Don't you want to wait for Thursday's or Friday's YUGE Trump announcement that he personally plans to cut your taxes down to zero, but *only* if the GOP keeps the House?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:58 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:53 pm I finished researching the lower-level races on my ballot today -- they're mostly unopposed incumbents -- so I'm ready to vote this week. Kind of bugs me that I'm supporting so many incumbents, but our state govt is functioning pretty well and none of the challengers have made a compelling case to throw the bums out.

Don't you want to wait for Thursday's or Friday's YUGE Trump announcement that he personally plans to cut your taxes down to zero, but *only* if the GOP keeps the House?
My House representative is unopposed. No tax cut for me!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm
What tactic would work? Just cultivating the Koch Brothers of the world?
Well, before there was email, there was postal mail and the frequency was maybe once per quarter (for the begging...the post cards for each candidate would ramp up near election time). A dozen emails a day bearing apocalyptic headlines? I don't even want to waste the effort to delete them, much less open them.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Voted last week when I stopped at the ballot drop box at the library on my way home.

The only downside to vote-by-mail is I don't get a sticker anymore.