Too Late To Start Thinking About 2018?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by gbasden »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am Because politics is no less longer about being right or wrong. It's about sticking it to the other side.

:sigh:
A blue wave would hopefully be a sign that the electorate believes that Trumpist policies are wrong and would be a substantive rebuttal. That being said, if there is a definitive blue victory, I will also rejoice while sticking it to the R's in my life. I'm a shallow person.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:53 pm
Zarathud wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:48 am Because politics is no less longer about being right or wrong. It's about sticking it to the other side.

A blue wave would hopefully be a sign that the electorate believes that Trumpist policies are wrong and would be a substantive rebuttal. That being said, if there is a definitive blue victory, I will also rejoice while sticking it to the R's in my life. I'm a shallow person.
Don't forget if there is a definitive or unexpected red win to riot and blame it on them all being hateful racist nazis or that they cheated.

:coffee:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Don't forget pedo lovers.

I'm confused about the cheating comment though. What's that about?
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rip wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:20 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Don't forget if there is a definitive or unexpected red win to riot and blame it on them all being hateful racist nazis or that they cheated.

:coffee:
Sure. I'm all about the rioting. More likely if there is a red wave and Trumpist policies are actually approved by the majority of this country I'll simply lose the will to live.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:20 pm Don't forget pedo lovers.

Oh, because libs are constantly claiming that the GOP "cheated" in 2016 just because there's a lot of "evidence" that they "cooperated with hostile foreign intelligence" who, among other things "hacked" the "emails" of Trump's opponent and "strategically leaked them to help Trump win".
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Don't hate the player, hate the game, son!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm I'll simply lose the will to live.
Enlarge Image

Cheer up. In 2 or 6 years someone else will be President and they will enact all new policies which will annoy half the population.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Moliere wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:12 pm
gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm I'll simply lose the will to live.
Enlarge Image

Cheer up. In 2 or 6 years someone else will be President and they will enact all new policies which will annoy half the population.
I've had a lifetime of watching that happen, and I'm more or less fine with that normal pattern. In this case, if the general public ratifies Trumpism, they are voting for kleptocracy, the destruction of government institutions, acceptance of blatant lies and a horde of other things that used to be beyond the pale. I already got a shock to the system when voters decided to elect an outspoken bigot who advocated violence to people who protested him, but at least they didn't know the full dimensions of how utterly unqualified he is to run this nation.
Rip

Post by Rip »

The "broken" system that allows the nazis to take charge even when they lose the "popular" vote. Also of course the system that gives the tiny nazi states as many senators as the "glorious free thinking" big blue states. It's like you haven't even been reading the talking points......
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ask Putin.

It would be nice if Mueller's investigations would wrap up without him being subject to the revolving door presidential thralls before November and put a bow on that sort of talk one way or another but I doubtful.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 pm

The "broken" system that allows the nazis to take charge even when they lose the "popular" vote. Also of course the system that gives the tiny nazi states as many senators as the "glorious free thinking" big blue states. It's like you haven't even been reading the talking points......
Is that your way of saying you support supporting "both sides" and "sleepy eyes" (which I didn't even know was a thing *shrug*) and election pride pictures with Nazi re-enactors blended in to the American flag and so many out spoken bigots of the worst kind loudly supporting him and attacking minorities in Trump's name?

The broken system is not the same thing as cheating but your ability to conflate two separate ideas as one thing is a de trop right wing version of a faux socratic method. A faux-cratic method, if you will, meant to create a faux-cratic dialog. It used to frustrate me, now it's just an eye rolling conversation ender.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

It begs the question: Is there a realistic political difference between a Neonazi and a neonazi sympathizer?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am It begs (for an answer or perhaps raises) the question: Is there a realistic political difference between a Neonazi and a neonazi sympathizer?
and a neonazi sympathizer sympathizer? At this point, given the enabling through political means, I have to say, no. It's one thing to protect their speech, it's quite another endorse it or wink at it or turn a less than severe and unsympathetic legal eye at its illegal actions.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

So there’s been an interesting development in the Florida governors race. Former Democratic Congressman Patrick Murphy has floated the idea of a run for governor. I thought Murphy was a good Representative, and i would be willing to vote for him as governor. He’s coming off of a failed Senate bid, losing to Marco Rubio.

What makes the idea of him running noteworthy, is he could select friend and Republican David Jolly as his lieutenant governor. The two have toured the state together urging for more bipartisanship and cooperation, so a combined run makes sense. But due to state laws, they would have to run as an independent ticket. That would be disastrous, as it would split the liberal and independent vote and almost guarantee another Trump-like candidate as governor.

So now, even though there’s a ticket that I think I could whole-heartedly get behind in a normal year, I have to hope that they don’t run because the most likely outcome is disaster.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msteelers wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am So there’s been an interesting development in the Florida governors race. Former Democratic Congressman Patrick Murphy has floated the idea of a run for governor. I thought Murphy was a good Representative, and i would be willing to vote for him as governor. He’s coming off of a failed Senate bid, losing to Marco Rubio.

What makes the idea of him running noteworthy, is he could select friend and Republican David Jolly as his lieutenant governor. The two have toured the state together urging for more bipartisanship and cooperation, so a combined run makes sense. But due to state laws, they would have to run as an independent ticket. That would be disastrous, as it would split the liberal and independent vote and almost guarantee another Trump-like candidate as governor.

So now, even though there’s a ticket that I think I could whole-heartedly get behind in a normal year, I have to hope that they don’t run because the most likely outcome is disaster.
Couldn't Jolly just change his party registration instead? I get that that undermines the bipartisan selling point, but not that much, and Jolly could just say (accurately) "I needed to change because of state law requirements". Could also pair that with reforms to make third party candidates more viable (e.g., ranked choice voting).
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

State law supposedly states that you have to be a member of the party for an entire year prior to filing your paperwork.

I don’t know how that is legal, but that’s what the paper reported.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Defiant wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:07 pm
I have stayed to fight for important priorities like fully funding our troops, increasing support for medical research and preserving promising clean energy solutions. And now that work is accomplished.
:shock:
I mean, seriously, does that not demonstrate a severe departure from reality or is it just my reading of it? "preserving clean energy solutions"? Really? Good riddance.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:08 am :shock:
I mean, seriously, does that not demonstrate a severe departure from reality or is it just my reading of it? "preserving clean energy solutions"? Really? Good riddance.
Yup. That's what they call coal and fracking here in PA.

Maybe the race is "meaningless," but Meehan can't be gone soon enough.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 pm
Defiant wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 pm Don't count on the Millenials to save us.

Voter Turnout Stands At About 29 Percent In City For Illinois Primary
Turnout among millennial voters was the lowest, at only 3 percent.

Voters between 54-74 had the highest turnout of 42 percent.

More data to show that their turnout is low (just like it was for previous generations of youngsters)
One nice thing about millennial's having such abysmal turnout, it means when they turn on you, it matters less:
The online survey of more than 16,000 registered voters ages 18 to 34 shows their support for Democrats over Republicans for Congress slipped by about 9 percentage points over the past two years, to 46 percent overall. And they increasingly say the Republican Party is a better steward of the economy.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1I10YH
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know that I would ever consider HuffPo a primary news source, but I do like how they don't mince words or equivocate or conflate when it comes an Us vs Them stance I can actually get behind.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/whi ... 726e1285c1

Not sensationalism, just not willing to back to down to whatever it is the lamestream media cower behind in some weird sense of fair coverage. They embody a rare approach like when the AP woke up realized "The Alt Right" was cowards terms, not polite terms.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Aiming At Trump, Former Bush Ethics Lawyer Enters Senate Race As Democrat
He worked in the White House for President George W. Bush, but now a prominent Republican ethics attorney wants to return to Washington — as a Democrat.

Richard Painter, currently a professor at the University of Minnesota and frequent critic of President Donald Trump on cable news, formally announced Monday his campaign for U.S. Senate.

“We need to stand firm against what President Trump is threatening to do to our country,” he told reporters.

The lifelong Republican says he’s no longer welcome in the party.

“I’m fed up,” he said. “We gotta walk.”

He is planning to run as a Democrat against Democratic Sen. Tina Smith, who is serving out former Sen. Al Franken’s unfinished term.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Democrats' Horrible Senate Map Couldn't Have Come at a Better Time.

Interesting 538 article. Notes how historically bad the Senate map is for democrats in 2018, but also gets into the systematic issues with the Senate. The Democrats are in many ways incredibly lucky that this map came up now, in a hugely pro-Democratic year. They have real shots at holding Senate seats in places like West Virginia, North Dakota, Missouri, and Montana, and may have decent shots in places like Tennessee. Any other year this could be an apocalyptic wipeout.

It also gets into the broader issues with the Senate structure in general, how it disproportionately favors Republicans (well, the party that draws from rural areas, which these days is the Republicans), and how it threatens to consign Democrats to long-term minority status in the Senate sooner or later.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Senate/EC will likely be the undoing of the United States unless one or probably both is changed. Eventually something along the lines of #Calexit is going to happen. This administration only hastens whatever may come next. You can't have a country perpetually locked in administrative gridlock like this - especially when it is constantly doing the bidding of an ever shrinking portion of the population. Eventually a crisis will come that the system can't absorb and it'll blow apart.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So that blue wave of voters has finally arrived at the US border. :naughty: That's gonna make working class Americans happy! :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

No, that would be this one, where yet another Democrat won a special election after being outspent 2:1.
In Florida’s final special election before the November mid-terms, Democrats once again took a swing district in the nation’s largest swing state.

Outspent but not outmaneuvered, Democrat Javier Fernandez took Florida’s 114th House district Tuesday, keeping the purple Miami-Dade seat in the fold for the state’s surging minority party. He beat Republican Andrew Vargas by roughly 4 points — 51 to 47 percent — with all the votes counted. Independent candidate Liz de las Cuevas netted an estimated 2.5 percent of the vote.

Republicans were confident that Vargas, the longtime law partner of OAS ambassador and former state representative Carlos Trujillo, could win in a district where Republicans slightly outnumber Democrats and down-ballot Republicans have outperformed the top of the ticket.

But once again, Election Day turnout pushed a Democrat over the top. Vargas secured 807 more absentee votes than Fernandez, but Democrats said their numbers show Fernandez pulled Republicans, and as many as nine out of 10 independent voters, during early voting. Election Day turnout gave him a clear victory.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am No, that would be this one, where yet another Democrat won a special election after being outspent 2:1.
Only if you don't consider the budgets at every single "fake" news source being spent to bring down Trump. :wink:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:10 am So that blue wave of voters has finally arrived at the US border. :naughty: That's gonna make working class Americans happy! :mrgreen:
Yup. Soon all us liberals (and our soon to be members culled from the children of Republicans) are going to kick your asses out of this country and relax with a nice, refreshing beverage as we watch you claw at that beautiful wall that you'll buy us, trying to get back in. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:35 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:10 am So that blue wave of voters has finally arrived at the US border. :naughty: That's gonna make working class Americans happy! :mrgreen:
Yup. Soon all us liberals (and our soon to be members culled from the children of Republicans) are going to kick your asses out of this country and relax with a nice, refreshing beverage as we watch you claw at that beautiful wall that you'll buy us, trying to get back in. :mrgreen:
I do realize that is the future, I think I'll be quite happy in Ecuador or Thailand if I can get out before y'all seize all my assets. Instead of kicking us out, I'm picturing you guys putting us in "green" gas chambers and ovens though. We're "all" deplorable after all. :ninja:
Stop funding for NPR
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 pm Instead of kicking us out, I'm picturing you guys putting us in "green" gas chambers and ovens though. We're "all" deplorable after all. :ninja:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"I'm not a Nazi! You're a Nazi!"
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 pm
I do realize that is the future, I think I'll be quite happy in Ecuador or Thailand if I can get out before y'all seize all my assets. Instead of kicking us out, I'm picturing you guys putting us in "green" gas chambers and ovens though. We're "all" deplorable after all. :ninja:
We would like to stay green while getting rid of all the deplorables, that is true. Why should mother nature have to pay for cleaning up our country? :mrgreen:

Good thing is that we'll make a profit off the aforementioned property seizures while we shuffle you guys out the doors of Trump Obama Wall.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:49 pm
em2nought wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 pm
We would like to stay green while getting rid of all the deplorables, that is true. Why should mother nature have to pay for cleaning up our country? :mrgreen:

Good thing is that we'll make a profit off the aforementioned property seizures while we shuffle you guys out the doors of Trump Obama Wall.
They should have brought you and I in for that White House Correspondent's Dinner, we're way more comedic than Michelle Wolf. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Cognitive Dissonance you say?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/38 ... -dem-party
"And just because some people that don't call themselves conservatives and don't always act conservative do something conservative — like, let's talk about John Kerry — and signed up to serve this country, that doesn't mean that that's not a conservative thing to fundamentally protect and defend the Constitution," he said in the interview, highlighted by CNN.

Nicholson argued that voting for Democratic candidates, on the other hand, makes little sense for veterans, because the party had "rejected the Constitution."
"So I'll tell you what: Those veterans that are out there in the Democrat Party, I question their cognitive thought process because the bottom line is, they're signing up to defend the Constitution that their party is continually dragging through the mud."
In an email to CNN, Nicholson campaign spokesman Brandon Moody said the candidate was expressing the belief that the Democratic Party has acted disrespectfully toward veterans.

"Kevin made clear that all members of the military — regardless of their political party — sign up to defend and protect the Constitution and its principles," Moody told the outlet. "But Kevin also believes that the Democrat Party has become unmoored from the Constitution and has lost its way. Kevin left the Democrat Party years ago and became a conservative, in part, because liberal Democrats and the policies they promote have shown overt disrespect to our veterans."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:53 pm Cognitive Dissonance you say?

In an email to CNN, Nicholson campaign spokesman Brandon Moody said the candidate was expressing the belief that the Democratic Party has acted disrespectfully toward veterans.
Someone needs to point out that the giant shit stain running through the middle of the Constitution exactly fits Trump's butt crack.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So there were some primaries today. Fivethirtyeight has a liveblog of the events, but it looks like both Republicans and Democrats voted more for establishment figures (but with a couple of upstarts winning), and no disastrous candidates (eg, Blankenship) won.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Defiant wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:35 pm So there were some primaries today. Fivethirtyeight has a liveblog of the events, but it looks like both Republicans and Democrats voted more for establishment figures (but with a couple of upstarts winning), and no disastrous candidates (eg, Blankenship) won.
You think a primary loss would slow Blankenship down? Think again, sore loser laws be damned!

I guess he really wants to help Manchin keep that West Virginia seat blue.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, that's bound to piss off the RNC.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I've never said this before, and I don't expect to ever say it again, but God bless Don Blankenship.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Say good-bye to the D-advantage in the generic ballot. Our latest Reuters/Ipsos poll shows that registered voters as likely to support Republicans as Democrats.