Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Too Late To Start Thinking About 2018?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 57139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Oklahoma
Nine Republican Oklahoma state representatives who voted against tax hikes to fund teacher pay raises were either vanquished in primaries on Tuesday or forced into runoff elections against GOP challengers.

Out of the 10 Republican lawmakers that voted against the tax increases in March, two — Reps. Chuck Strohm and Scott McEachin — were defeated outright in their Tuesday night primary races, according to The Associated Press.

Another seven representatives were thrust into August runoff elections against other Republicans.

Four other GOP incumbents lost their primaries, including one who was defeated by a teacher seeking the office, according to the AP.
...
Oklahoma state lawmakers voted in March to approve the state's largest tax hike in more than two decades to give teachers a pay increase and ward off a walkout.

The tax package is expected to raise more than $445 million in new revenue for the state.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17415
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:08 pm

While she's too far left for me personally, and I'm always worried about the possibility of a Democratic tea party, but if she openly acknowledges and supports the Democratic party as a big tent party it makes me less concerned about that possibility.



User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:18 pm

That she is a close friend of Thomas Lopez-Pierre says a lot.

You can't get much more antisemitic than he.

http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/ant ... ic-things/

Thomas Lopez-Pierre says he’s not an anti-Semite.

He just believes a cabal of “greedy Jewish landlords” is conspiring, funded by money from Israel, to conduct “ethnic cleansing” of black and Latino residents from Harlem. He believes the Jewish media are covering it up.
And if his rhetoric makes Jews upset?

“Too bad,” he says. “I don’t care.

“Only now am I realizing that Jewish people can’t seem to separate themselves from each other,” he told JTA in an interview Friday. “An attack on greedy Jewish landlords is perceived to be an attack on all Jews. And you know what? Too bad. If that’s the way the Jewish community wants to take it, too bad.”

Lopez-Pierre is running a primary campaign against Democratic City Council member Mark Levine, who since 2014 represents a district covering much of West Harlem in Upper Manhattan. Lopez-Pierre previously ran for the seat in 2013, unsuccessfully.

His screed against Jewish landlords is at the center of his campaign. His Twitter bio reads “Jewish landlords OWN 80% of private rental buildings in Upper Manhattan; GUILTY of GREED for pushing Black/Hispanic tenants out.”

The Anti-Defamation League released a statement calling Lopez-Pierre’s statement a “deeply offensive anti-Semitic stereotype.”

During a 20-minute conversation, I tried to extract why Lopez-Pierre thought the landlords’ religion was important. He repeated the 80 percent figure — but wouldn’t provide any evidence for it — and launched into a lecture on what he called “group economics,” or how members of a certain ethnicity or religion work together for their mutual benefit.

“If they were Italian, I would say Italian,” he said. “We live in neighborhoods based on race, class and religion. It’s a fantasy to believe otherwise. There are Jewish neighborhoods, there are Puerto Rican neighborhoods, there are Jamaican neighborhoods, there are Indian neighborhoods.”

Lopez-Pierre alleged that there was a scheme among Jewish landlords in Harlem to take investment money from Israel, buy apartment buildings in the historically black neighborhood and push tenants out.

“These Jewish landlords are using their ownership to engage in ethnic cleansing of black and Latino tenants,” he said. And he added that Jewish journalists choose not to report on it.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 12297
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Skinypupy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:18 pm
That she is a close friend of Thomas Lopez-Pierre says a lot.
We're judging people entirely by their social circle now, are we?

Sure you want to go down that road?
We are are the last of the legion.
The last of the bastion.
We are the best of the bastards.
And slaves to none.
- "Row Row", Zeal & Ardor

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 pm
Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:18 pm
That she is a close friend of Thomas Lopez-Pierre says a lot.
We're judging people entirely by their social circle now, are we?

Sure you want to go down that road?

I will give her credit for trying to distance herself from him, we shall see.

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 4047
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Alefroth » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:18 pm
That she is a close friend of Thomas Lopez-Pierre says a lot.
What makes her a close friend of his?

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36460
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by hepcat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 pm
Rip wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:18 pm
That she is a close friend of Thomas Lopez-Pierre says a lot.
We're judging people entirely by their social circle now, are we?

Sure you want to go down that road?
Especially after he’s thrown his support behind a president who has a well documented history of racism.

You can’t join the Klan and then bitch about the Aryan Brotherhood and expect to be taken seriously.

(Metaphorically speaking)
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17415
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:33 pm

If he was part of her social circle, it probably would bother me, but...





(Which is a far better response than how some of the Women's March Leaders responded to the media discovering ties between them and Farrakhan.)

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 12297
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Skinypupy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Defiant wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:33 pm
If he was part of her social circle, it probably would bother me, but...





(Which is a far better response than how some of the Women's March Leaders responded to the media discovering ties between them and Farrakhan.)
I'm guessing that not a single Deplorable will ever see or hear of her swift and immediate denouncement, and will continue to run with the "she's anti-semitic" angle ad nauseum.
We are are the last of the legion.
The last of the bastion.
We are the best of the bastards.
And slaves to none.
- "Row Row", Zeal & Ardor

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13245
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Zarathud » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 am

More Fake News from Rip?

:o :o :o

Say it isn't so! Get my fainting couch and the smelling salts....

Seriously, this is why no one has any patience with Rip's bullshit anymore.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 am

I don't know why they wouldn't see it, I did well before it was posted here. I hope she stays true to that statement but her UN like criticism of Israel has me hedging on whether to fully believe it. Like I said I will wait and see how she votes and what she says once in office.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13245
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Zarathud » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:46 am

It's the Republican Party who is running an Illinois Holocaust denier and North Carolina white supremacist.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 4047
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Alefroth » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:53 am

Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 am
Like I said I will wait and see how she votes and what she says once in office.
No you won't. You're already condemning her for something that was a bullshit story and you were knowingly dishonest with us.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36460
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by hepcat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:23 am

Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 am
I don't know why they wouldn't see it, I did well before it was posted here. I hope she stays true to that statement but her UN like criticism of Israel has me hedging on whether to fully believe it. Like I said I will wait and see how she votes and what she says once in office.
Goalpost...moved.

P.S. you’ve been told this before but it never seems to sink in: Israel is a country, Judaism is a religion. While Israel is overwhelmingly Jewish, one can criticize the policies of the nation of Israel without being anti Semitic. Otherwise your criticism of our country’s actions under Obama would be considered anti Christian.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

malchior
Posts: 8055
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by malchior » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:09 am

hepcat wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:23 am
Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 am
I don't know why they wouldn't see it, I did well before it was posted here. I hope she stays true to that statement but her UN like criticism of Israel has me hedging on whether to fully believe it. Like I said I will wait and see how she votes and what she says once in office.
Goalpost...moved.

P.S. you’ve been told this before but it never seems to sink in: Israel is a country, Judaism is a religion. While Israel is overwhelmingly Jewish, one can criticize the policies of the nation of Israel without being anti Semitic. Otherwise your criticism of our country’s actions under Obama would be considered anti ChristianMuslim.
Trumped

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 am

She accused Israel of committing a massacre for defending their borders.

The fact that the The Jewish Democratic Council of America should be an indication that she is no friend of jewish people, even the leftist Democrat ones. Either way the Democratic party can run/elect whomever they want. I'm good with that. In fact I applaud it. Tom Cotton has put it best.


User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36460
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by hepcat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:44 am

You just can't seem to grasp what should be a very simple concept, can you? :doh:

Fine. Your complaints against Obama's deal with Iran shows you're clearly anti Christian. Why do you hate Christianity, Rip?
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Holman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 am

Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 am
She accused Israel of committing a massacre for defending their borders.

The fact that the The Jewish Democratic Council of America should be an indication that she is no friend of jewish people, even the leftist Democrat ones. Either way the Democratic party can run/elect whomever they want. I'm good with that. In fact I applaud it. Tom Cotton has put it best.

Would Tom Cotton ever lie to us?

Those are obvious, gross generalizations. Not one Democrat wants "open borders," and "mass migration" is nothing but a racist dog whistle.

And there is no way a sane person can look at what is happening at the border (or everywhere, since ICE can apparently seize you at will) and not see the need for reform of police practices.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36460
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by hepcat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am

If you turn your party's core values to hate driven by religious extremism and racism, sanity is no longer an option.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 13866
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Carpet_pissr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:17 am

hepcat wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am
If you turn your party's core values to hate driven by religious extremism and racism, sanity is no longer an option.
Well, as Rip himself said, it's better this way now that it's out in the open for all to see. No longer trying to hide their religious extremism and racism. Own your despicable world views, you pieces of shit.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 59598
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by LordMortis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 am

Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 am
I don't know why they wouldn't see it, I did well before it was posted here. I hope she stays true to that statement but her UN like criticism of Israel has me hedging on whether to fully believe it. Like I said I will wait and see how she votes and what she says once in office.
Nice. So you saw her denouncement of the thing you accused her of well before it was posted here and now that it was posted here you use that as a defense of misinformation.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36460
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by hepcat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:10 am

I think rip is talking about his original post, not the reply proving it was fake.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 59598
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by LordMortis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 am

hepcat wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:10 am
I think rip is talking about his original post, not the reply proving it was fake.
Contextually, I am even more confused than normal then. What is is they saw if not:
I'm guessing that not a single Deplorable will ever see or hear of her swift and immediate denouncement
?

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31268
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by El Guapo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 am

Nate Silver's analysis of the SCOTUS pick impact on the mid-terms.

Short version is that there are a couple plausible arguments for how this could help Republicans, but it's pretty unclear, and depends in large part on how the nomination / confirmation process goes. My guess is that Trump nominates someone Gorsuch-like who gets quickly confirmed by like a 52-48ish vote (with at least one Red State democrat voting yes along with all Republicans), and that it winds up being a mild but not too significant positive for Republicans in the midterms. Will probably wind up getting overshadowed by whatever the hell happens with Mueller in the fall.

Also, like, one more time: fuck Kennedy. The timing of this just means that he's clearly willfully indifferent (or ignorant) at best about what Trump is doing to the republic.

malchior
Posts: 8055
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by malchior » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 am

He could also be sick and we just don't know it yet. Still it certainly feels like a fuck Kennedy moment but I'll reserve judgement. Har har.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31268
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by El Guapo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:18 am

malchior wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 am
He could also be sick and we just don't know it yet. Still it certainly feels like a fuck Kennedy moment but I'll reserve judgement. Har har.
Unless he's dying next month that's not a good enough reason.

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17415
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am

I'm fairly disturbed by Ocasio-Cortez's statements on Israel, but she's one voice among many in the House, and it doesn't seem like she ran on foreign policy. Anyway, it's not the only issue I disagree with her on, but at the moment, there are more important things to worry about.

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17415
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am

El Guapo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:18 am
malchior wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 am
He could also be sick and we just don't know it yet. Still it certainly feels like a fuck Kennedy moment but I'll reserve judgement. Har har.
Unless he's dying next month that's not a good enough reason.
Even if he is, it's not a good enough reason. :wink:

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31268
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by El Guapo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 am

Defiant wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am
I'm fairly disturbed by Ocasio-Cortez's statements on Israel, but she's one voice among many in the House, and it doesn't seem like she ran on foreign policy. Anyway, it's not the only issue I disagree with her on, but at the moment, there are more important things to worry about.
What are they?

In general the progressive left tends to be pretty hostile towards Israel, so I suspect there's a band within her views must almost necessarily lie.

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17415
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 pm

El Guapo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 am
Defiant wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am
I'm fairly disturbed by Ocasio-Cortez's statements on Israel, but she's one voice among many in the House, and it doesn't seem like she ran on foreign policy. Anyway, it's not the only issue I disagree with her on, but at the moment, there are more important things to worry about.
What are they?
She called the shooting of 60 Palestinian, 53 of which had been identified as Hamas or Islamic Jihad members, a "massacre", and compared the Palestinian attempts to breach the border to Ferguson or the West Virginia teacher strike.
"I think I was primarily compelled on moral grounds, because I could only imagine if 60 people were shot and killed in Ferguson or if 60 people were shot and killed in the West Virginia teacher strikes," Ocasio-Cortez said. "The idea that we're not supposed to talk about people dying when they are engaging in political expression just really moved me, and running for office, seeing like the silence around this issue, has been a little interesting to me."
link

Edit: Unless you were asking me about what the "more important things to worry about" are, which I think I could start by pointing out the Trump Presidency thread...
Last edited by Defiant on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 9495
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Paingod » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 pm

I can't imagine that Israel's armed forces were able to execute with such precision. I know they've said Hamas was whipping people into a frenzy, and got the impression that they felt the entire movement near their borders was a Hamas incursion - justifying it in their minds. While I believe that Hamas is doing that, I don't think everyone that gets killed is an agent - more likely a person caught up in mob mentality paying the price for it.

As long as she's wearing a blue shirt and doesn't have swastika-wearing fruit bats exploding out of her head, I don't mind having a differing opinion.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: XCOM 2, Rimworld

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 19481
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Holman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 pm

That the wounded numbered over 5,500 (most by live ammunition) also changes the narrative somewhat.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 36460
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by hepcat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Careful you guys. You're dangerously close to being called anti Semitic by Rip.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:20 pm

Holman wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 am
Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 am
She accused Israel of committing a massacre for defending their borders.

The fact that the The Jewish Democratic Council of America should be an indication that she is no friend of jewish people, even the leftist Democrat ones. Either way the Democratic party can run/elect whomever they want. I'm good with that. In fact I applaud it. Tom Cotton has put it best.

Would Tom Cotton ever lie to us?

Those are obvious, gross generalizations. Not one Democrat wants "open borders," and "mass migration" is nothing but a racist dog whistle.

And there is no way a sane person can look at what is happening at the border (or everywhere, since ICE can apparently seize you at will) and not see the need for reform of police practices.
Aren't they?



Is Ellison not the #2 Democrat?
There is no refuge from memory and remorse in this world. The spirits of our foolish deeds haunt us, with or without repentance.
--

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm

LordMortis wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 am
Rip wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 am
I don't know why they wouldn't see it, I did well before it was posted here. I hope she stays true to that statement but her UN like criticism of Israel has me hedging on whether to fully believe it. Like I said I will wait and see how she votes and what she says once in office.
Nice. So you saw her denouncement of the thing you accused her of well before it was posted here and now that it was posted here you use that as a defense of misinformation.
Actually I saw it a couple hours after I posted calling him a close friend. I applaud her for denouncing his statements.

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:30 pm

El Guapo wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 am
Defiant wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 am
I'm fairly disturbed by Ocasio-Cortez's statements on Israel, but she's one voice among many in the House, and it doesn't seem like she ran on foreign policy. Anyway, it's not the only issue I disagree with her on, but at the moment, there are more important things to worry about.
What are they?

In general the progressive left tends to be pretty hostile towards Israel, so I suspect there's a band within her views must almost necessarily lie.
After 60 Palestinians were killed by the Israeli military in May while attempting to breach the fence along the Israel-Gaza border, Ocasio-Cortez wrote on Twitter: “This is a massacre. I hope my peers have the moral courage to call it such. No state or entity is absolved of mass shootings of protestors. There is no justification. Palestinian people deserve basic human dignity, as anyone else. Democrats can’t be silent about this anymore.”
The Jewish Democratic Council of America issued a statement saying Ocasio-Cortez “deserves credit for running a strong and impressive campaign. Her victory was achieved largely by her hard work and clear message advocating for economic, social and racial justice for the people of the Bronx and Queens.”

“While Jewish Democrats support much of Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s domestic policy agenda, we disagree with her past statement regarding Israel, as well as her affiliation with the Democratic Socialists of America, which supports the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement targeting Israel,” it added. “In the coming days and months, we hope to learn more about Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s views, but at the moment, her position on Israel is not in line with our values.”
That said, she hasn't dove into her foreign relations positions feet first so I would strongly agree with this.
“The Jewish community should not be wringing its hands but beginning a conversation with her in earnest,” Fuchs added. “She is a bright woman who is very caring and will figure it out.”
http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/oca ... troubling/

User avatar
Rip
Posts: 26865
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Location: Cajun Country!
Contact:
Rip’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Paingod wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 pm
I can't imagine that Israel's armed forces were able to execute with such precision. I know they've said Hamas was whipping people into a frenzy, and got the impression that they felt the entire movement near their borders was a Hamas incursion - justifying it in their minds. While I believe that Hamas is doing that, I don't think everyone that gets killed is an agent - more likely a person caught up in mob mentality paying the price for it.

As long as she's wearing a blue shirt and doesn't have swastika-wearing fruit bats exploding out of her head, I don't mind having a differing opinion.
Not near, they shot at people actually encroaching the border fence. A massacre would be shooting them just for protesting. Had they protested a safe distance from the border fence no shots would have been fired. Israel has very good reasons for not allowing mobs of people to reach the fence. Try storming up to the border fence in Turkey and see how that works out, just ask the Kurds.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13245
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Zarathud » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:43 pm

All a goddamn dishonest distraction from Trump and domestic issues!

(Fixing) America First!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17415
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by Defiant » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 pm


As long as she's wearing a blue shirt and doesn't have swastika-wearing fruit bats exploding out of her head, I don't mind having a differing opinion.
Not every extremist wears a swastika-wearing fruit bats exploding out of their head - that's usually how they get in in the first place.

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'll be keeping an eye out, in case this does herald the start of a far left tea party.

User avatar
El Guapo
Posts: 31268
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Too Soon To Start Thinking About 2018?

Post by El Guapo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Defiant wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 pm

As long as she's wearing a blue shirt and doesn't have swastika-wearing fruit bats exploding out of her head, I don't mind having a differing opinion.
Not every extremist wears a swastika-wearing fruit bats exploding out of their head - that's usually how they get in in the first place.

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'll be keeping an eye out, in case this does herald the start of a far left tea party.
People need to pump the breaks here. This is a progressive democrat beating a centrist democrat in New York City at a time when progressives in particular are pissed the hell off.

Post Reply