Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:07 pm

In any case it doesn't matter whether the rumors are true or made up, the market is going apeshit because they could be true, because he's a moron and the market knows he's a moron.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Kraken wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:38 pm
"Reportedly" always makes me ask who's reporting it. The linked Slate article references a Bloomberg report that cites: "one person familiar with the president’s thinking said that Trump had weighed dismissing Mnuchin, while another said that Mnuchin’s tenure may depend in part on how much markets continue to drop." I don't give much credence to two unnamed persons "familiar with the president's thinking." They aren't even ID'd as WH sources.
Considering that the people with the most influence on Trump's thinking work at Fox rather than the WH, I'm not so sure that being a WH source has much bearing on whether the information is credible. The real problem is that Trump seemingly talks about a lot of things to a lot of people, but what he says and what he does have more of a casual than causal relationship.
Also, there is one person causing some specific problems with this kind of sourcing: Trump. The president seems to speak with a wide range of people, both inside and outside the White House. And many of these people then tell reporters that they talked to the president. That leaves a lot of people for journalists to credibly say are “familiar with Trump’s thinking,” but that does not necessarily mean that these sources give an accurate picture of what the president will do. The constant stories about staff shake-ups at the White House may indeed come from people who have heard Trump muse about changes that he will never actually follow through on.
If I had to, I'd bet that Trump has indeed been talking about firing Mnuchin. Whether or not he follows through on it, well, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Again, the market thinks he's considering it, and that's all that matters.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:12 pm

I would be surprised if Mnuchin isn't forced out by summer.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Face eating leopard is gonna eat faces.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:33 pm
I do know this much: recessions are driven by mass psychology -- when enough people/companies expect hard times ahead and start retrenching, we get hard times.
The aftermath of the 2000 recession taught me this. My hindsight was able to pick out the drumbeats that led to it. On the other hand, the best laugh I ever got from a textbook was the line, "Economics is a science."
Microeconomics *is* a science. Macroeconomics is an art.

Recessions aren't just about psychology, look at 2008, which was driven by the shocks from the false valuation of subprime mortgage packages being exposed. Credit markets froze, banks went out of business and failed, etc.
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:50 pm

They're never just about psychology. But psychology directly contributes to the contributing factors, causal actions, and responses.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Moliere

Post by Moliere » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Read Desperate Emails From People Scammed by A.G. Matt Whitaker’s Business Associates
When current acting U.S. Attorney General Matt Whitaker joined the advisory board of a Florida patent firm in 2014, he was quoted in a company press release saying he "would only align myself with a first class organization."

Three years later, the company was shut down, but not before it bilked hundreds of customers, some of them elderly veterans, out of millions of dollars.

In response to a public records request to the Florida Attorney General's Office, Reason received 47 pages of consumer complaints regarding World Patent Marketing. The complaints date from 2014, when Whitaker joined the firm's advisory board, to 2017, when the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) shut the firm down for deceptive business practices.

An FTC investigation concluded that the Miami patent firm, which claimed to patent and market promising inventions, scammed 1,504 customers out of more than $26 million in its three years of existence.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Let’s be honest, under this administration, bilking the easily misled - er, customers - out of millions is a huge positive bullet point on the resume
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:03 pm

$iljanus wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 pm
malchior wrote:Almost 2 years ago to the day this story was published about how the AG of Oklahoma took an energy company's letter complaining about energy regulations, copied it onto OK state letterhead, signed it, and sent it to the EPA. That AG is now the named nominee to head that Agency. This is starting to look a whole lot like a Harding administration - but only worse with authoritarian overtones as well.
Yea, I always thought my water was lacking such essential minerals like arsenic, mercury, and cadmium!
Well, you may be in luck:
In another proposed reversal of an Obama-era standard, the Environmental Protection Agency Friday said limiting mercury and other toxic emissions from coal- and oil-fired power plants is not cost-effective and should not be considered "appropriate and necessary."

The EPA says it is keeping the 2012 restrictions in place for now, in large part because utilities have already spent billions to comply with them. But environmental groups worry the move is a step toward repealing the limits and could make it harder to impose other regulations in the future.
The National Mining Association welcomed the move, calling the mercury limits "punitive" and "massively unbalanced."
Even though the EPA's mercury standards have faced court challenges, utilities spent more than $18 billion to comply with the requirements. In a letter to the EPA last summer, utilities and regulatory and labor groups said mercury emissions had been reduced by nearly 90 percent over the past decade.

In that letter they also asked the Trump administration's EPA to leave the existing standards in place.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 pm
malchior wrote:Almost 2 years ago to the day this story was published about how the AG of Oklahoma took an energy company's letter complaining about energy regulations, copied it onto OK state letterhead, signed it, and sent it to the EPA. That AG is now the named nominee to head that Agency. This is starting to look a whole lot like a Harding administration - but only worse with authoritarian overtones as well.
Yea, I always thought my water was lacking such essential minerals like arsenic, mercury, and cadmium!
Well, you may be in luck:
In another proposed reversal of an Obama-era standard, the Environmental Protection Agency Friday said limiting mercury and other toxic emissions from coal- and oil-fired power plants is not cost-effective and should not be considered "appropriate and necessary."

The EPA says it is keeping the 2012 restrictions in place for now, in large part because utilities have already spent billions to comply with them. But environmental groups worry the move is a step toward repealing the limits and could make it harder to impose other regulations in the future.
The National Mining Association welcomed the move, calling the mercury limits "punitive" and "massively unbalanced."
Even though the EPA's mercury standards have faced court challenges, utilities spent more than $18 billion to comply with the requirements. In a letter to the EPA last summer, utilities and regulatory and labor groups said mercury emissions had been reduced by nearly 90 percent over the past decade.

In that letter they also asked the Trump administration's EPA to leave the existing standards in place.
Awesome! I'm sure the mercury will add to the umami of all sorts of dishes!
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Holman

Post by Holman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:36 pm

NPR wrote:JUST IN: Ryan Zinke has stepped down as Interior Secretary. President Trump has not nominated a replacement, so Zinke’s deputy, David Bernhardt, a lawyer and former oil industry lobbyist, will take over as acting secretary.
Oil industry lobbyist.

Trump really doesn't get enough credit for streamlining the workings of government.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:41 pm

HuffPo
Trump announced Zinke would step down at the end of the year. Zinke maintains it was a personal decision. In his resignation letter to Trump, he blamed his departure on “vicious and politically motivated attacks.” But reporting by The Washington Post and others indicates that the embattled secretary, who’s faced nearly 20 federal investigations into his conduct and policy decisions, had known for weeks that he was being forced out.

In many ways, Zinke’s final month highlights the real legacy he’s likely to leave behind: not of stewardship but of cozying up to the industries he was tasked with regulating, rolling back safeguards for the environment and endangered species, and opening millions of acres of public land to drilling and mining.

Sen. Tom Udall (N.M.) was one of 15 Democratic senators who voted to confirm Zinke to the post. That decision, he said, was based on Zinke’s assurances that he understood the agency’s central mission, and his pledge to lead in the spirit of Roosevelt.

“It is abundantly clear from his time as Interior Secretary that those promises were empty, meaningless, and untrue,” Udall told HuffPost in an email. “His tenure was deeply destructive and I would not vote to confirm him again knowing what we know now ― that he always intended to carry the torch for the Trump administration’s campaign of relentless attacks on our public lands, waters, Tribal sovereignty, and the environment.”
Silver - 3k

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

Hodor.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:11 pm

Perhaps he should invest in a finer tip for his Sharpies.
Silver - 3k

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:16 pm

I like how he wrote the agency's Twitter handle on his goodbye note.
Hodor.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:25 pm

"Restored public lands"? "Improved public access"?

Cool letter, wonder who he's talking about?
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:25 pm
"Restored public lands"? "Improved public access"?

Cool letter, wonder who he's talking about?
Was trying to figure out what he meant. This appears to be regime republican speak for selling off federal lands and opening them up for public "hunting, fishing, and grazing" (grazing starts what he really means. He really means grazing, timber, mineral rights, state land sales, etc... ie public use in republican means corporate (and private) interests)

https://www.newsmax.com/us/ryan-zinke-o ... id/829925/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -secretary