Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote:Almost 2 years ago to the day this story was published about how the AG of Oklahoma took an energy company's letter complaining about energy regulations, copied it onto OK state letterhead, signed it, and sent it to the EPA. That AG is now the named nominee to head that Agency. This is starting to look a whole lot like a Harding administration - but only worse with authoritarian overtones as well.
Yea, I always thought my water was lacking such essential minerals like arsenic, mercury, and cadmium!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All the cool kids are drinking hexavalent chromium these days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
President-elect Donald Trump picked Linda McMahon, former CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, to serve as the administrator of the Small Business Administration, his transition announced Wednesday.
McMahon is the co-founder of the professional wrestling franchise WWE along with her husband, Vince McMahon, and twice a former Republican Senate candidate from Connecticut. She stepped down from her duties at WWE in 2009 and ran two failed bids for the Senate in 2010 and 2012.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Why, yes, I am ready to rumble.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
malchior

Post by malchior »

I suppose that WWE is a small business compared to Exxon. :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How many generals does it take to make a junta?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

David Frum is firing off quite the tweetstorm about Puzder, Trump's pick for Labor Secretary. Basically saying that the Trump administration "is one big prank on Trump voters", on account of Puzder being the leader of the pro-immigration business wing of the GOP:
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We now have a secretary of HUD whose sole qualification is that he lived in public housing (even though he didn't) and has already admitted he's not qualified.

Head of the EPA who will inherit a case he brought against the EPA, and who thinks global warming is fake.

Head of the FDA who thinks clinical trials are unnecessary.

Head of Treasury was actively involved in the 2008 collapse.

SecDef who needs a waiver, because he's too close to the military.

Head of Education who is against public education

A racist A.G.

and now a Labor secretary who dislikes organized labor.

Have I missed anything?

The Trump Cabinet (brought to you by Carl's Jr. Literally.)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Andy Puzder, Trump’s Pick for Labor Secretary, is a Fast Food CEO Who Has Criticized Obamacare and the Minimum Wage
As a restaurant chain CEO, Puzder is unusually sensitive to the costs of business regulations. In 2011, he announced that he would stop all restaurant development in the state of California, where CKE is based, and instead focus on opening some 300 restaurants in Texas. California's bulk of regulations could add as much as $50,000 and two years to the cost of opening a restaurant, he told the Associated Press at the time, compared with Texas, where a restaurant could go from a lease signing to opening for business in as little as six weeks.

Puzder has also testified before Congress on multiple occasions, laying out detailed cases against Obamacare's various taxes and small-business rules, warning that the law has helped create a "restaurant recession." He's also argued that the minimum wage ends up hurting some of the nation's poorest workers by making it prohibitively expensive to hire them. In a 2014 op-ed for The Wall Street Journal, he walked readers through the typical costs of running a restaurant franchise, and explained how a higher minimum wage would threaten its viability and ability to employee workers. "The feds can mandate a higher wage," he wrote, "but some jobs don't produce enough economic value to bear the increase."

Puzder has further argued that the costs of regulation will eventually lead businesses like his to replace workers with robots and software, even he's even talked openly about his interest in trying to start an employee-free restaurant.
On the plus side he gave us the Carl's Jr. model (NSFW):
Spoiler:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote:We now have a secretary of HUD whose sole qualification is that he lived in public housing (even though he didn't) and has already admitted he's not qualified.

Head of the EPA who will inherit a case he brought against the EPA, and who thinks global warming is fake.

Head of the FDA who thinks clinical trials are unnecessary.

Head of Treasury was actively involved in the 2008 collapse.

SecDef who needs a waiver, because he's too close to the military.

Head of Education who is against public education

A racist A.G.

and now a Labor secretary who dislikes organized labor.

Have I missed anything?

The Trump Cabinet (brought to you by Carl's Jr. Literally.)
I really hope Trump offers SecDef to Romney, and Romney looks at his prospective peers and says "You know what? Pass."
Rip

Post by Rip »

Carlson suggested it was an impossible goal because “Comparing someone to Hitler is not something to discuss; it is the end of the discussion.”

Schrode continued, “I think it is very important that we are critical, that we do not normalize or sanitize the rhetoric or actions of Donald Trump or the ghastly appointees to his new administration. And I want people to remain vigilant, I want people to realize that none of this is normal, none of the hate speech, the hate crimes that are spiking in the United States, and we, as the American people, have to hold our president-elect accountable.”

Carlson asked her to “give me an example” of his “ghastly appointees.”

Schrode identified Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt as “appointing as the head of the [Environmental Protection Agency] someone who has sued the EPA.”

“What was the suit about? Do you know?” asked Carlson.

Though Schrode described a “secretive alliance between energy firms, between state prosecutors — where he was attorney general — and between oil and gas companies,” Carlson objected that “it doesn’t sound like you know a lot about this.”

He explained that Pruitt was one of 28 attorneys general who “sued the Obama administration over environmental regulations,” and observed that “what does not lead to fruitful conversation is name-calling and that’s what you’re doing. … Do you understand their position or that does that even interest you learning what they think?

Schrode objected, “It’s not about learning what they think.”

Carlson responded with a knowing “Ohhh,” and suggested that the Democratic activist was not conducting “the kind of conversation that leads to solutions; it’s the kind that leads to demonizing other people, and that’s bad.”

After Schrode unleashed another volley of vitriol against Trump, Carlson noted, “You compare Trump to Hitler, and then with a straight face you’re going to accuse him of engaging in hate speech. I’m sorry, but I can barely hear; the irony alarm is so loud in the background.”
http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/08/tucke ... to-hitler/

:clap:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, it's irony, all right.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote: :clap:
LOL... you applaud that, and support Trump. LOL
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Tucker Carlson is only upset because he has been a Dick and Partisan Hack who has been Hurting America for the last 10 years.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another profile in the sheer lunacy coming our way from our incoming National Security Adviser - he mistook pictures of Arabic on US border signs to be Mexican cartel guides for jihadists to sneak into the country. And by mistaking border signs that is only a guess at the likeliest explanation because no evidence of his claim ever happening exists. The people who will make life and death decisions or support the analysis of those decisions at the top of our nation are complete kooks.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote:Another profile in the sheer lunacy coming our way from our incoming National Security Adviser - he mistook pictures of Arabic on US border signs to be Mexican cartel guides for jihadists to sneak into the country. And by mistaking border signs that is only a guess at the likeliest explanation because no evidence of his claim ever happening exists. The people who will make life and death decisions or support the analysis of those decisions at the top of our nation are complete kooks.
This is great! We can use these signs to funnel all the jihadists into waiting buses to take them to the Muslim internment camps. Ingenious!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote:Also how democratic. Either grant the waiver for Mattis or sorry to hear about your government funding. Maybe they should call the bluff - it is the Republican's government now and all. Let them explain it.
They'll just blame the democrats, like the democrats have been blaming the republicans. Squid-pro-roe and all that.

Government. Government never changes.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rudy Giuliani has chosen to withdraw himself from being considered from any post.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Defiant wrote:Rudy Giuliani has chosen to withdraw himself from being considered from any post.
:lol:
I don't know who embarrassed himself more: Giuliani or Chris Christie in their kissing up to Trump and then ending up with nothing. Giuliani's excuse of "This is not about me; it is about what is best for the country and the new administration." is just an awkward attempt at saving face.

Chris Christie snubbed again, will not be next Republican National Committee chairman

Again... :lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

The only person in the world who doesn't know that Christie's career is done is himself. I'm counting his wife and children amongst those who do. There is a lot of eyerolling as he goes on and on about his next big gig.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And Russia's -- oops I mean Trump's (it is certainly Trump's pick) for Sec. of State is leaning towards Rex Tillerson. CEO of Exxon. Recipient of Russia's Order of Friendship. Lead partnerships with several Russian Oil firms. Arguer against the sanctioning of Russia by the US. This has to be a joke, right?
(Not to sanction Politico which still sucks - it was just for the photo of these great friends).
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm trying to imagine the shitstorm if Obama 2008, Obama 2012, or Clinton 2016 had obliged Putin 10% as much as Trump does. Nope, I can't do it.

We are living in Bizarro world, and in ten minutes someone will be along to explain how the reset button was a catastrophe while ceding Europe to Moscow is just smart politics.

We haven't even begin to absorb the reality here. It's not just that Trump has a hard-on for Putin for gross authoritarian reasons. It's not even just that Moscow meddled in our elections in order to mess with us and cause political friction. The reality is that U.S. intelligence services are now certain that Russia intervened in our democracy for the purpose of getting Donald Trump into the White House.

In Bizarro world, American conservatives are totally cool with that.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Oh, and trump has now discredited the CIA. ON TV.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Holman

Post by Holman »

From the Washington Post report:
Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials. Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton’s chances.

“It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia’s goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. “That’s the consensus view.”
And now the punchline:
The Trump transition team dismissed the findings in a short statement issued Friday evening. “These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history. It’s now time to move on and ‘Make America Great Again,’ ” the statement read.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jesus. I underestimated their desire to literally burn our entire system of governance to the ground.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Greatest Generation defeated Hitler.
Reagan defeated Russia and the Communist Menace.
Bush conquered Iraq--twice.
Obama killed Osama bin Laden.

Trump allied with the new Nazis, is a friends and allies with Putin, will retreat from the Middle East and inspire the expansion of Muslim Jihad.

Generations of blood, sweat and influence to further American natuinal interests wasted.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:
And now the punchline:
The Trump transition team dismissed the findings in a short statement issued Friday evening. “These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history. It’s now time to move on and ‘Make America Great Again,’ ” the statement read.
If I'm not mistaken I thought there was pressure from Dick Chaney and his minions to have the WMD findings lead to its inevitable conclusion...

Oh well, I'm sure there will be a purge of the disloyal in the near future.
Black lives matter!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Jesus. I underestimated their desire to literally burn our entire system of governance to the ground.
And the ignorance. The Intel he is referring to was actually discredited by the CIA ,it was provided by Cheney 's home grown sources.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What's even more maddening is the number of conservatives who just don't care. They're living in a state in which to avoid being critical of one of their own party, they're willing to supplant reality with one that just ignores anything that doesn't fit their narrative. You're right - they are willing to just burn themselves and everything around them to the ground rather than admit any misstep on their part.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holman wrote:
The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history.
Umm....

2016: +74 for Trump (I will be *shocked* if this number doesn't go down as some electors defect from this turd)
2012: +126 for Obama
2008: +192 for Obama
2004: +35 for GWB
2000: +5 for GWB
1996: +220 for Clinton
1992: +202 for Clinton
1988: +315 for Bush
1984: +512 for Reagan
1980: +440 for Reagan
1976: +57 for Carter
1972: +503 for Nixon
1968: +110 for Nixon
1964: +434 for LBJ
1960: +90 for JFK
1956: +384 for Ike
1952: +353 for Ike
1948: +114 for Truman
1944: +333 for FDR

And so on. In the previous 25 Electoral College contests, 21 of them ended in a victory larger than Trump's.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote:What's even more maddening is the number of conservatives who just don't care. They're living in a state in which to avoid being critical of one of their own party, they're willing to supplant reality with one that just ignores anything that doesn't fit their narrative. You're right - they are willing to just burn themselves and everything around them to the ground rather than admit any misstep on their part.
It is hard to admit that not only are you wrong but that you've been a total hypocrite. The loyal "right" have boxed themselves in ideologically. Unfortunately there have been no negative consequences to that yet. Unfortunately for us the risk that it will lead to a disaster grows larger everyday. And this is the pre-game. Trump hasn't even started with whatever wrecking ball policy decisions are going to sweep through.
Holman

Post by Holman »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Holman wrote:
The election ended a long time ago in one of the biggest Electoral College victories in history.
Umm....

2016: +74 for Trump (I will be *shocked* if this number doesn't go down as some electors defect from this turd)
2012: +126 for Obama
2008: +192 for Obama
2004: +35 for GWB
2000: +5 for GWB
1996: +220 for Clinton
1992: +202 for Clinton
1988: +315 for Bush
1984: +512 for Reagan
1980: +440 for Reagan
1976: +57 for Carter
1972: +503 for Nixon
1968: +110 for Nixon
1964: +434 for LBJ
1960: +90 for JFK
1956: +384 for Ike
1952: +353 for Ike
1948: +114 for Truman
1944: +333 for FDR

And so on. In the previous 25 Electoral College contests, 21 of them ended in a victory larger than Trump's.
Trump's margin of EC victory (even presuming all the GOP electors pick him) ranks 46th out of all 58 presidential races.

Calling it historically big is laughably idiotic.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote:Calling it historically big is laughably idiotic.
My default option is to expect what he says to be idiotic until proved otherwise. Good thing he is only President. :doh:
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

And now he's picked the Exxon CEO with ties to Putin to be the next Secretary of State. What a fucking nightmare this is.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm guessing the whole charade with Romney was a planned humiliation from the beginning.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW - I've seen Dem senators saying they are going to tear into Tillerson. They are going to dig into climate change denial at Exxon. They are going to dig into the Russia angle mercilessly I imagine. And they might not be able to stop any of these horrible appointments but in the grand scheme of things Trump is expending a lot of political capital via extremely dumb decisions. The Tillerson, Pruitt, DeVos, Carson, and Sessions confirmation hearings are going to be bombastic to say the least.

Another quick point - I also suspect Tillerson coming into play was what pushed Obama to order the Russia probe. This is beyond shady at this point. The guy has *no* background at all for the position. He is a total unknown in regards to diplomacy. That he has such close ties to Putin and business interests in Russia is a clear conflict and Trump is basically snubbing his nose at it. This is an extremely dangerous time for our country (and the world) and I think finally a lot of folks are waking up to it.
Captain Caveman

Holman wrote:I'm guessing the whole charade with Romney was a planned humiliation from the beginning.
And to completely neuter his ability to offer credible criticism down the road. Sour grapes, they'll say.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Captain Caveman wrote:And now he's picked the Exxon CEO with ties to Putin to be the next Secretary of State. What a fucking nightmare this is.
Did he actually announce that yet? I've only heard that it's the latest on the carousel of WTF rumors.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Captain Caveman

link

He hasn't announced it, but there are reports that Tillerson is his choice.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I, for one, am impressed by how much damage this fellow has done before even taking office. You thought 2016 was bad? 2017 is going to be epic.