Rip

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Rip »

Way to rage on the ragers.

:roll:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who’s raging? Sounds like folks are just discussing sad facts.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's kind of amazing that Howard Dean's candidacy was derailed by a single moment of intemperance not 1% of what Trump tweets daily.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dean’s mistake was not finding a nearby minority to hurl into the crowd as a sacrifice.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 pm Way to rage on the ragers.

I'm exhausted just trying to imagine being that angry for that long.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 pm Way to rage on the ragers.

Are you saying the Dean scream was rage-based? You might want to watch the video again to refresh your memory if so.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:05 pm How much longer can Drumpf's base stay riled up? It's been 1.5 years or so, with the election campaign plus a year in office. These sorts of tweets have got to start losing their effectiveness at some point, no?

I read that tweet and I'm like "Drumpf is denigrating and complimenting 2 men that I don't know, and don't care about. What percentage of his base knows or cares, or even has the energy left to get angry?"

Not if you are an evangelical with guns convinced this the beginning of the rapture and you are chosen.... Or if you simply want to say "Hurray for our side"... It's starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line and the man come and take you away...
Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 pm Trump's deplorables have been angry and resentful for their entire lives. He just gives them focus.
I have to believe it is largely a learned trait, though I also imagine no small amount of angry and resentment comes from searching for and finding a tribe that allows them express a specific kind of angry and resentful they've had their entire lives. But I also don't think this is limited to people who have found Trump as their man.
He just gives them focus.
He definitely is magnifying glass for angry resentful white bigots, paperdoll Christians, and people who feel they give too much to government and get nothing in return.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 pm It's kind of amazing that Howard Dean's candidacy was derailed by a single moment of intemperance not 1% of what Trump tweets daily.
And the people that were there said that it barely registered with them. It worked for the people in the audience. It was just on TV that it came across poorly, but that was what 99% of the country saw.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If hindsight has taught us anything, it's that Dean should doubled down and actually gone full HULK smash like he was reported to do and then called out the media and his opposition for lying about him, his passion, and telling it like it is.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

msteelers wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 am
Holman wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 pm It's kind of amazing that Howard Dean's candidacy was derailed by a single moment of intemperance not 1% of what Trump tweets daily.
And the people that were there said that it barely registered with them. It worked for the people in the audience. It was just on TV that it came across poorly, but that was what 99% of the country saw.
It was made worse on video because the microphone only picked up his yell, so it sounds like he was just yelling like a crazy person. In context, it was just an enthusiastic rally.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Over/Under of July 1, 2018 for Kelly's ouster?
White House chief of staff John Kelly has eroded morale in the West Wing in recent months with comments to aides that include insulting the president's intelligence and casting himself as the savior of the country, according to eight current and former White House officials.

The officials said Kelly portrays himself to Trump administration aides as the lone bulwark against catastrophe, curbing the erratic urges of a president who has a questionable grasp on policy issues and the functions of government. He has referred to Trump as "an idiot" multiple times to underscore his point, according to four officials who say they've witnessed the comments.

Three White House spokespeople said they don't believe it's accurate that Kelly called the president an "idiot," adding that none of them has ever heard him do that or otherwise use that word.
The headline leads with the Idiot quote however and is kind of click-bait-y.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Being an Adviser to Trump probably isn't worth anybody's time, most particularly Bill Gates:
Trump still hasn’t appointed a science adviser — but he did offer the job to Bill Gates, who said it was “not a good use of my time.”

At a meeting between the president and Microsoft founder last month, Gates suggested to Trump that he actually appoint someone to lead the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. At this point, Gates told STAT, Trump asked Gates if he himself wanted the job. Gates did not.

Gates isn’t a scientist himself, but he is sort of... science-adjacent? His Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funds projects working on issues such as climate change and infectious disease. Trump has taken longer to fill the science adviser position than any other modern president, and so the de facto leader of the OSTP is a 31-year-old political scientist. Since the OSTP is supposed to help the president on issues related to environment, engineering, and technology, it seems like a political scientist might be the wrong type of scientist...

...But the best scientific credentials won’t guarantee that a science adviser will be effective in changing Trump’s mind, as he seems only to listen to people he thinks are powerful and rich. So maybe it’s a shame for all of us that Gates doesn’t want the job. But in the end, it’s unclear whether Trump himself knows what he wants. As Gates says: “I didn’t put him to the test, whether that was a serious thing or not. He probably himself didn’t know if he was serious.”

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Only the best people:
President Donald J. Trump today announced his intent to appoint the following individuals to be Members of the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition for a term of two years:
William Belichick of Massachusetts
Louis Ferrigno of California
Mehmet Oz of New Jersey
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump also wants to replace the White House physician with this brilliant young doctor he recently saw on a documentary called Doogie Howser: MD.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

What do these things have in common?
HO 1. Manufacturing or storing explosives—bans minors working where explosives are manufactured or stored, but permits work in retail stores selling ammunition, gun shops, trap and skeet ranges, and police stations.

HO 2. Driving a motor vehicle or work as an outside helper on motor vehicles—bans operating motor vehicles on public roads and working as outside helpers on motor vehicles, except 17-year-olds may drive cars or small trucks during daylight hours for limited times and under strictly limited circumstances (see Fact Sheet #34 in this series for information about on-the-job driving).

HO 3. Coal mining—bans most jobs in coal mining.

HO 4. Occupations in forest fire fighting, forest fire prevention, timber tract, forestry service, and occupations in logging and sawmilling operations—bans most jobs in: forest fire fighting; forest fire prevention that entails extinguishing an actual fire; timber tract management; forestry services; logging; and sawmills.

HO 5. Power-driven woodworking machines—bans the operation of most power-driven woodworking machines, including chain saws, nailing machines, and sanders. *

HO 6. Exposure to radioactive substances and ionizing radiation—bans employment of minors where they are exposed to radioactive materials.

HO 7. Power-driven hoisting apparatus—bans operating, riding on, and assisting in the operation of most power-driven hoisting apparatus such as forklifts, non-automatic elevators, skid-steers, skid-steer loaders, backhoes, manlifts, scissor lifts, cherry pickers, work-assist platforms, boom trucks, and cranes. Does not apply to chair-lifts at ski resorts or electric and pneumatic lifts used to raise cars in garages and gasoline service stations.

HO 8. Power-driven metal-forming, punching and shearing machines—bans the operation of certain power-driven metal-working machines but permits the use of most machine tools.*

HO 9. Mining, other than coal—bans most jobs in mining at metal mines, quarries, aggregate mines, and other mining sites including underground work in mines, work in or about open cut mines, open quarries, and sand and gravel operations.

HO 10. Power-driven meat-processing machines, slaughtering and meat packing plants—bans the operation of power-driven meat processing machines, such as meat slicers, saws and meat choppers, wherever used (including restaurants and delicatessens). Also prohibits minors from cleaning such equipment, including the hand-washing of the disassembled machine parts. This ban also includes the use of this machinery on items other than meat, such as cheese and vegetables. HO 10 also bans most jobs in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing, rendering, and packing establishments.*

HO 11. Power-driven bakery machines—bans the operation of power-driven bakery machines such as vertical dough and batter mixers; dough rollers, rounders, dividers, and sheeters; and cookie or cracker machines. Permits 16- and 17-year-olds to operate certain lightweight, small, portable, counter-top mixers and certain pizza dough rollers under certain conditions.

HO 12. Balers, compactors, and power-driven paper-products machines—bans the operation of all compactors and balers and certain power-driven paper products machines such as platen-type printing presses and envelope die cutting presses. Sixteen- and 17-year-olds may load, but not operate or unload, certain scrap paper balers and paper box compactors under very specific guidelines (see Fact Sheet #57). *

HO 13. Manufacturing of brick, tile and related products—bans most jobs in the manufacture of brick, tile and similar products.

HO 14. Power-driven circular saws, band saws, guillotine shears, chain saws, reciprocating saws, wood chippers, and abrasive cutting discs—bans the operation of, and working as a helper on, the named types of power-driven equipment, no matter what kind of items are being cut by the equipment.*

HO 15. Wrecking, demolition, and ship-breaking operations—bans most jobs in wrecking, demolition, and ship-breaking operations, but does not apply to remodeling or repair work which is not extensive.

HO 16. Roofing operations and work performed on or about a roof—bans most jobs in roofing operations, including work performed on the ground and removal of the old roof, and all work on or about a roof* (see Fact Sheet #74)

HO 17. Trenching and excavation operations—bans most jobs in trenching and excavation work, including working in a trench more than four feet deep.*
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs43.htm

Donald Trump's Department of Labor want modern industry to have unregulated access to 16 and 17 years olds to perform these jobs.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-lab ... rdous-jobs

It's not exploitation. It's earn as you learn
The regulatory initiative, which hasn’t been previously announced, fits with the Trump administration’s broader goal of expanding earn-as-you-learn apprenticeship programs by replacing government red tape with industry-generated standards. It is also likely to have at least some bipartisan support from Democrats eager to create job opportunities for youth who aren’t on track to attend a four-year university.
I mean why not, the expectation is that average American must work a minimum of 47 hours a week to retire at age 70 so they can enjoy the leisure live between 70 and 78.74 years. Why not add going back to work as an unregulated coal miner at age 16? CLEAN ENERGY. As the most productive humanity has been in the history of being human, and becoming even more productive at a faster rate, how did we become this? What is wrong with us? And yes, it seems at it's core, wrong. Or at least it seems impossible for me to understand.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It's all about MAGA. Of course, it appears that they think America was last great around the 1820s, so there's a pretty big rollback that needs to occur.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I did many of those things when I was twelve.

Snowflakes. :roll:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LM, as I read your post I thought you were quoting from Frostpunk.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Rip wrote:I did many of those things when I was twelve.

So did alot of dead or maimed children, women and men.

I think we coddle kids a bit. But federal work standards are often built over a foundation of dead or exploited bodies.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm

I think we coddle kids a bit. But federal work standards are often built over a foundation of dead or exploited bodies.

Coddle a bit perhaps, but generally to give them a shot at a better life by investing more time early in their lives on their brains.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 pm
Combustible Lemur wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Coddle a bit perhaps, but generally to give them a shot at a better life by investing more time early in their lives on their brains.
I saw what you did there.

Or, if you didn't, I most certainly did.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe they'll learn to respect other human beings.

There was a time when asbestos, lead and cocaine were used regularly in household products. Some of us know better, so we changed the rules.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Zarathud wrote:

Maybe they'll learn to respect other human beings.

There was a time when asbestos, lead and cocaine were used regularly in household products. Some of us know better, so we changed the rules.
Wait, there's something g better than cocaine!? Do tell:)

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This is an... interesting... tack to support Gina Haspel's nomination to head up the CIA.

Fox Business Guest Defends Torture: It Worked On John McCain
A guest on Fox Business Network touted torture as an effective way to extract information from prisoners, claiming it “worked” on Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

“The fact is ... it worked on John [McCain],” Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Tom McInerney said Tuesday during an interview on the network. “That’s why they call him ’Songbird John.’”
McInerney has come under fire in the past for promoting conspiracy theories, including the racist myth that former President Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States and that terrorists hijacked missing Malaysia flight 370 in 2014.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

uh...does anyone call him Songbird John?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newsweek
A former Fox News military analyst falsely claimed Thursday that U.S. Senator John McCain was nicknamed “Songbird John” while he was a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. The salacious claim alluded to McCain giving up information to the Vietcong against his country and fellow service members.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pensito Review, 2008
Among groups who oppose John McCain, the most serious charges come from a small but fervent cadre of Vietnam POW/MIA activists who accuse him of being a collaborator during his time in the Vietnamese POW camps.

They call McCain “Songbird,” and say he received special treatment. Some in the POW community even believe he was brainwashed like Raymond Shaw, the character played by Laurence Harvey in “The Manchurian candidate,” who was used as a tool by the communists to destroy America from within.

The issue boiled over in 1992 after POW families and activists felt they had been mistreated by McCain during hearings before the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs. In the video above (posted at Vietnam Veterans against McCain) which was apparently shot soon after the hearings, POW advocates and experts, as well as Republican politicians, including then-Rep. Bob Dornan of California, assert that McCain was stonewalling the release of POW documents because his own records included transcripts of interviews he gave to communist and other media outlets in which he said the U.S. military had deliberately bombed civilian targets in North Vietnam.
Politifact
In an echo of the attacks from the 2000 South Carolina primary that dealt a critical blow to Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign, a new flyer says the Arizona senator is a traitor.

It says that when he was a POW, McCain was a "Hanoi Hilton songbird" who collaborated with the enemy.

But it provides scant evidence to back up this claim and it is strongly contradicted by many other accounts reviewed by PolitiFact: interviews with other POWs, an author who has written a McCain biography and the senator's own accounts.

Robert Timberg, author of John McCain: An American Odyssey , who has interviewed many POWs who served with McCain, said there's no evidence that he ever collaborated with the North Vietnamese. "I've never known of any occasion in which Sen. McCain provided the North Vietnamese with anything of value," Timberg said.

The flyer was sent to about 80 media organizations in South Carolina and is posted on the group's Web site. The flyer probably would have been ignored, but the McCain campaign issued a statement calling it "a vicious attack."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Dear world, this asshole doesn't work for us anymore:
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said the U.S. should restart its enhanced interrogation techniques — often considered torture — after the issue was thrust to the forefront during Gina Haspel’s confirmation hearing to become CIA director.

“If it were my call, I would not discontinue those programs,” he said in an interview that aired Thursday morning on Fox Business. “I’d have them active and ready to go, and I’d go back and study them and learn.”
Unfortunately, we have some even more incompetent lying assholes in charge now. :grund:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Does this go here or in the I can agree with someone across the aisle thread or ironically sad in the I am so thankful for the first amendment thread? Obama was weak and he should directed an open and public investigation in to our and we could lay to rest whether this woman with a "strong moral compass" should be in jail, merely unemployed, or running the CIA.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/05/10/h ... f-hearing/

Now that everything is sealed under Президент Trump and the GastapOP, Obama's failings are being magnified.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:51 pm Newsweek
A former Fox News military analyst falsely claimed Thursday that U.S. Senator John McCain was nicknamed “Songbird John” while he was a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. The salacious claim alluded to McCain giving up information to the Vietcong against his country and fellow service members.
Isgrimnur is the Alexa version of OO. Just a tad slower
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not taking the "I'm feeling lucky" result takes a bit more time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm This is an... interesting... tack to support Gina Haspel's nomination to head up the CIA.

Fox Business Guest Defends Torture: It Worked On John McCain
A guest on Fox Business Network touted torture as an effective way to extract information from prisoners, claiming it “worked” on Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

“The fact is ... it worked on John [McCain],” Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Tom McInerney said Tuesday during an interview on the network. “That’s why they call him ’Songbird John.’”
McInerney has come under fire in the past for promoting conspiracy theories, including the racist myth that former President Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States and that terrorists hijacked missing Malaysia flight 370 in 2014.
Washington Examiner
Fox News has banned a retired general from appearing on the network following his controversial comments about Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

A spokesperson told the Washington Examiner that retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney is no longer welcome on Fox News and Fox Business Network after he said torture worked on McCain, a former prisoner of war in Vietnam.
Fox Business host Charles Payne, who was interviewing McInerney when the comments were made, apologized for the “very false” and “derogatory” comments.

Payne said he did not confront McInerney on air because a producer was speaking into his ear piece and he didn’t hear it.

"As a proud military veteran and son of a Vietnam vet, these words neither reflect my or the network’s feelings about Sen. McCain or his remarkable service and sacrifice to this country," Payne said.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Why on earth would "facts" reflect your feelings?

Either it's true, or it's not, or it's unverifiable. How you feel about the comments doesn't enter into it.
Carpet_pissr

Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Exactly. I bet it was HO 6.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 am
Exactly. I bet it was HO 6.
No, HO 6 I didn't do until 17.

It would be HO 2, HO 5, HO 7, HO 10, HO 12, HO14, HO16, and HO 17.

If I had known there was a list I would have tried to cross off more.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Boo Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.)!!!!!!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:47 pm Boo Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.)!!!!!!
Assuming that you are referring to Haspel, I agree. I just don't get it. I get that she is qualified to be CIA Director, insofar as she certainly has relevant experience. But there has already been an insufficient reckoning for the U.S. engaging in torture already, and putting someone deeply involved in charge is the icing on the waterboarded cake. I get that red state senators might want to show some bipartisan bona fides, BUT John McCain is already giving you political cover! Plus if the Obama years have taught us anything about how American politics works, if you stay united in opposing something, you thereby make it unpopular, thereby obviating the need to show bipartisan bona fides on the issue. Plus Warner's not even really from a red state and is not up for reelection!

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Maybe the thinking is that Haspel is not necessarily a Trump flunky, so maybe better her than Trump picking some lackey as a replacement, but...I dunno.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Or it could be the thinking that if they reject Haspel, Trump will very likely nominate someone even worse. Its hard to think of who could be worse than a torturer/evidence destroyer, but I don't doubt Trump would find a way.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pompeo has learned how to make the John Kelly face already.

Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 pm Or it could be the thinking that if they reject Haspel, Trump will very likely nominate someone even worse. Its hard to think of who could be worse than a torturer/evidence destroyer, but I don't doubt Trump would find a way.
The arguments I've seen in her favor are generally that she's a competent career professional whose past conduct isn't as severe as is being represented in the media and who isn't likely to roll back the clock and resume things such as the enhanced interrogation program.

The worst case scenario is that Trump appoints an unqualified toady who does to the CIA what Tillerson did to State. If I had to make the call, I'd take someone like Haspel over a Tillerson or a DeVos or a Mnuchin or a Carson or a Perry or...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch