Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Perry is now the what? 3rd, 4th? Cabinet pick that previously has stated that their department should be either destroyed (e.g. Perry) or shouldn't be in charge of their main task (e.g. FDA pick). That can't be by accident.

Also, how many nominations are going to go to candidates that ran against Trump in the primaries? This has got to be a record, right?
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Perry is now the what? 3rd, 4th? Cabinet pick that previously has stated that their department should be either destroyed (e.g. Perry) or shouldn't be in charge of their main task (e.g. FDA pick). That can't be by accident.
If these people do move in and decimate their respective agencies, how long will it take to repair their functions?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paingod wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Perry is now the what? 3rd, 4th? Cabinet pick that previously has stated that their department should be either destroyed (e.g. Perry) or shouldn't be in charge of their main task (e.g. FDA pick). That can't be by accident.
If these people do move in and decimate their respective agencies, how long will it take to repair their functions?
Pretty sure that's the end game here. Destroy or cripple these agencies to the point where they're ineffective, then sell out the services to the highest bidder.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Prepare for the ride folks! These are the top men in Washington now!
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote:
Paingod wrote:
Pretty sure that's the end game here. Destroy or cripple these agencies to the point where they're ineffective, then sell out the services to the highest bidder.
There's also a cycle where they can gut agencies (and their budgets), and then when those agencies fail to accomplish their goal in a public way, they can then attack "incompetent bureaucracies", in order to justify further gutting them.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Also, how many nominations are going to go to candidates that ran against Trump in the primaries? This has got to be a record, right?
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
Paingod wrote:
There's also a cycle where they can gut agencies (and their budgets), and then when those agencies fail to accomplish their goal in a public way, they can then attack "incompetent bureaucracies", in order to justify further gutting them.
This has been happening to the IRS for years now. One particular department I work closely with is expected to process an equivalent number of returns with around 1/3 of the staff and 50% of the budget they had 4 years ago. Their processing time went from 6 weeks to 11 months due to the backlog, then they got very publicly thrown under the bus because of it. It's insane.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I think I've read before that for every dollar spent on the IRS, the government gets over $1 back in revenue - more people to look at claims, do audits, and enforce laws - all of which generate extra tax income. It's a self-defeating cycle, and then the government can't balance a budget.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm curious which (if any) of Trump's picks will be rejected. I think Tillerson is the most likely reject, since it's politically easy for democrats to stay united against Exxon freaking Mobil, and democrats + a few GOP Russia hawks should (I would think) add up to 51 votes.

Otherwise, Sessions is a near lock (unfortunately). Probably the next most likely would be Carson, I would guess, since I don't think he has great ties with the Senate and is the most objectively unqualified. But who knows.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Should we start guessing at which cabinet post he will be offered? I'm going with U.S. Trade Representative. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Moliere wrote: Should we start guessing at which cabinet post he will be offered? I'm going with U.S. Trade Representative. :pop:
I've been reading that Trump's people have been desperate to get A-list performers for the inauguration festivities. Maybe they just found themselves a headliner.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

http://www.portman.senate.gov/public/in ... 65F4B5692C

Think of the fun Tilelrson will have with this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Sec. of Interior goes to Zinke. Not a general - but definitely ex-military via the Seals. Still it is good enough for the junta says Trump! On a serious note - this is probably an actual good pick.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

On the lighter side (relatively speaking):

The case for Ivanka Trump as first lady
It’s a measure of just how hilariously awful Donald Trump’s choices to fill his administration have been so far that when the idea began to circulate last week that his daughter Ivanka Trump might end up serving as his de facto first lady, I actually thought, hey, I don’t hate this. It’s not so much that I’m willing to hand-wave the ethical problems with the Trump children’s involvement in their father’s government or that I’ve learned to excuse what the New Yorker’s Emily Nussbaum described as Ivanka’s “weaponized graciousness,” the beaming dishonesty she uses to moderate her father’s ugly, erratic behavior. It’s that of all the ways Trump wants to disrupt government, the first lady’s position is one that could actually use a good shaking-up.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Enough

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote:Sec. of Interior goes to Zinke. Not a general - but definitely ex-military via the Seals. Still it is good enough for the junta says Trump! On a serious note - this is probably an actual good pick.
Good? Not sure I would agree with that given his 3% League of Conservation Voters rating. Better than expected? Absolutely! Considering Palin, Rodgers and some of the other top candidates it could have gone far worse. This guy (perhaps not surprisingly being from outdoor rec-dependent MT) sides with Trump Jr that federal lands should remain federal for the enjoyment of all Americans. This is in direct conflict with the official current Republican party platform of ceding federal lands to the states or selling them off. He is also very pro-hunting and fishing which bodes well for at least some funding going to wildlife issues (think a Teddy Roosevelt archetype). At the same time, he sees efforts to reduce methane spewing from oil and gas exploration as unnecessary. He also sees climate change as unproven. He thinks the coal industry can be saved with just changing env regs (the cost savings from reduced regs still doesn't make coal competitive with natural gas). And dude has a seriously constrained/wacked view of wetlands/riparian areas that doesn't pair up well with the science but works great for industry.

I give this nomination a D+, maybe Trump's best yet. :pop:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Not a cabinet pick but:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/13/media/k ... index.html

Please no, not White House Press Secretary. Of all the Trump surrogates, she was one of the worst, right there with Scottie Nell Hughes and Michael Cohen. I absolutely could not stand here, she was so ignorant of so many things and was idiotic in her defense of Trump. Please, anybody but her.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enough wrote:This guy (perhaps not surprisingly being from outdoor rec-dependent MT) sides with Trump Jr that federal lands should remain federal for the enjoyment of all Americans. This is in direct conflict with the official current Republican party platform of ceding federal lands to the states or selling them off.
Well, this important, my great fear is that the Repubs would try to sell off a ton of public lands, and once they're gone, they're gone. That couldn't be undone.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:Not a cabinet pick but:

Please no, not White House Press Secretary. Of all the Trump surrogates, she was one of the worst, right there with Scottie Nell Hughes and Michael Cohen. I absolutely could not stand here, she was so ignorant of so many things and was idiotic in her defense of Trump. Please, anybody but her.
Pierson? Please. We all know there is only one man for the job:

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Enough wrote:
malchior wrote:Sec. of Interior goes to Zinke. Not a general - but definitely ex-military via the Seals. Still it is good enough for the junta says Trump! On a serious note - this is probably an actual good pick.
Good? Not sure I would agree with that given his 3% League of Conservation Voters rating. Better than expected? Absolutely! Considering Palin, Rodgers and some of the other top candidates it could have gone far worse. This guy (perhaps not surprisingly being from outdoor rec-dependent MT) sides with Trump Jr that federal lands should remain federal for the enjoyment of all Americans. This is in direct conflict with the official current Republican party platform of ceding federal lands to the states or selling them off. He is also very pro-hunting and fishing which bodes well for at least some funding going to wildlife issues (think a Teddy Roosevelt archetype).
This is the good part - meaning he is dead set against selling lands off by all accounts.
At the same time, he sees efforts to reduce methane spewing from oil and gas exploration as unnecessary. He also sees climate change as unproven. He thinks the coal industry can be saved with just changing env regs (the cost savings from reduced regs still doesn't make coal competitive with natural gas). And dude has a seriously constrained/wacked view of wetlands/riparian areas that doesn't pair up well with the science but works great for industry.
And agree this is the very bad - I'm hoping that the above limits the damage here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Grifman wrote:Please no, not White House Press Secretary. Of all the Trump surrogates, she was one of the worst, right there with Scottie Nell Hughes and Michael Cohen. I absolutely could not stand here, she was so ignorant of so many things and was idiotic in her defense of Trump. Please, anybody but her.
At this point I'm pulling for the worst possible picks just so his idiocy is exposed as quickly as possible. I'm 100% for putting this babbling airhead in front of the cameras at every opportunity.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote:Not a cabinet pick but:

Ugh. I didn't see her as much in the late campaign and I figured he had cut her loose. She is monumentally irritating.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote:At this point I'm pulling for the worst possible picks just so his idiocy is exposed as quickly as possible.
A big part of me wants that as well, in spite of the 'We're all on the same airplane' philosophy.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Donald Trump’s War on Science
The first sign of Trump’s intention to spread lies about empirical reality, “1984”-style, was, of course, the appointment of Steve Bannon, the former executive chairman of the Breitbart News Network, as Trump’s “senior counselor and strategist.” This year, Breitbart hosted stories with titles such as “1001 Reasons Why Global Warming Is So Totally Over in 2016,” despite the fact that 2016 is now overwhelmingly on track to be the hottest year on record, beating 2015, which beat 2014, which beat 2013. Such stories do more than spread disinformation. Their purpose is the creation of an alternative reality—one in which scientific evidence is a sham—so that hyperbole and fearmongering can divide and conquer the public.

Bannon isn’t the only propagandist in the new Administration: Myron Ebell, who heads the transition team at the Environmental Protection Agency, is another. In the aughts, as a director at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, he worked to kill a cap-and-trade bill proposed by Senators John McCain and Joe Lieberman; in 2012, when the conservative American Enterprise Institute held a meeting about the economics of a possible carbon tax, he asked donors to defund it. It’s possible, of course, to oppose cap-and-trade or carbon taxes in good faith—and yet, in recent years, Ebell’s work has come to center on lies about science and scientists. Today, as the leader of the Cooler Heads Coalition, an anti-climate-science group, Ebell denies the veracity and methodology of science itself. He dismisses complex computer models that have been developed by hundreds of researchers by saying that they “don’t even pass the laugh test.” If Ebell’s methods seem similar to those used by the tobacco industry to deny the adverse health effects of smoking in the nineteen-nineties, that’s because he worked as a lobbyist for the tobacco industry.

When Ebell’s appointment was announced, Jeremy Symons, of the Environmental Defense Fund, said, “I got a sick feeling in my gut. . . . I can’t believe we got to the point when someone who is as unqualified and intellectually dishonest as Myron Ebell has been put in a position of trust for the future of the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the climate we are going to leave our kids.” Symons was right to be apprehensive: on Wednesday, word came that Scott Pruitt, Oklahoma’s attorney general, will be named the head of the E.P.A. As Jane Mayer has written, it would be hard to find a public official in the United States who is more closely tied to the oil-and-gas industry and who has been more actively opposed to the efforts of the E.P.A. to regulate the environment. In a recent piece for National Review, Pruitt denied the veracity of climate science; he has led the effort among Republican attorneys general to work directly with the fossil-fuel industry in resisting the Clean Air Act. In 2014, a Times investigation found that letters from Pruitt’s office to the E.P.A. and other government agencies had been drafted by energy lobbyists; right now, he is involved in a twenty-eight-state lawsuit against the very agency that he has been chosen to head.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's sort of weird to describe them as "bad picks", though. I mean, objectively they are. But then, Trump is picking them, and Trump is awful. They're great picks *for Trump*. He's the problem, not the picks.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The NY Times has a great article on the "rough ride" ahead. It is sure looking like Trump is picking these guys "prematurely". Meaning they aren't getting traditionally vetted before their name is even released. And that getting them in compliance with the law is going to be painful and difficult. They also did good job of contextualizing why in the past President's have gone out of their way to clean up their act too - to be a team player.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote:...getting them in compliance with the law is going to be painful nearly impossible and difficult hilarious.
Good article, and it makes me happy to know that there are mountains of laws protecting those positions from abuse, even if the presidency isn't. What happens if his cabinet is summarily rejected? Does the Senate pick one for him?
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote:
malchior wrote:...getting them in compliance with the law is going to be painful nearly impossible and difficult hilarious.
Good article, and it makes me happy to know that there are mountains of laws protecting those positions from abuse, even if the presidency isn't. What happens if his cabinet is summarily rejected? Does the Senate pick one for him?
No. To be clear his cabinet wouldn't get voted down in its entirety - they'll go up for a vote one at a time, and there's a 0% chance that they all get rejected (Sessions in particular is a near lock - he's a former Senator, and he's professionally qualified as a former prosecutor).

For any picks that get rejected (and I'd say there's a 90%+ chance that at least one does) then Trump will have to pick someone new to nominate for the position. Repeat until someone is confirmed.

So don't give up yet, Mitt!
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

While I suspect that the credible candidates will get through, I would think that once they do vote down a candidate, it will make it easier to vote unqualified candidates going forward. And that would push a normal President being safer in their picks and choosing nominees that will appeal to a wider number of people to get them confirmed more easily. But Donald isn't normal.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The good thing (and I've mentioned it before) is that this is going to be a bruising confirmation process. That will likely undermine his already low popularity and hopefully expend his political capital. He isn't conventional though so that may not be the check like it would be to a traditional politician. The problem with that argument will be that he isn't a decent human being; it is pure speculation but he may wield power without regards to whether it is good for the nation or whether anyone agrees with him. The confirmation process will be a test about how dirty he is willing to go and how unreasonable he will be as a 'leader'.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

YellowKing wrote:
Grifman wrote:Please no, not White House Press Secretary. Of all the Trump surrogates, she was one of the worst, right there with Scottie Nell Hughes and Michael Cohen. I absolutely could not stand here, she was so ignorant of so many things and was idiotic in her defense of Trump. Please, anybody but her.
At this point I'm pulling for the worst possible picks just so his idiocy is exposed as quickly as possible. I'm 100% for putting this babbling airhead in front of the cameras at every opportunity.
Except the problem is that Trump et al.'s idiocy and ridiculousness was exposed almost daily throughout the campaign, but almost have the voters didn't care and/or refused to see it as a problem. I can't imagine many them changing their minds now, no matter how disastrous Trump's presidency may be.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

An interesting review on why Perry is Qualified To Be Secretary Of Energy
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

While I agree that Perry isn't a terrible choice as an administrator...this is such a fawning review of the man himself without really delving into the particular larger issues. Chief among them climate change denial which should be disqualifying in 2016. More 'reliable' energy as the man suggests with the exception of nuclear is playing roulette with the environment and betting on black when there is 1 black square remaining.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

malchior wrote:The good thing (and I've mentioned it before) is that this is going to be a bruising confirmation process. That will likely undermine his already low popularity and hopefully expend his political capital. He isn't conventional though so that may not be the check like it would be to a traditional politician. The problem with that argument will be that he isn't a decent human being; it is pure speculation but he may wield power without regards to whether it is good for the nation or whether anyone agrees with him. The confirmation process will be a test about how dirty he is willing to go and how unreasonable he will be as a 'leader'.
I don't know if it would undermine his popularity (that has to be near the floor as it is), but I believe it would galvanize his core followers. As long as his lunatic fringe is vocally supporting him, he'll likely believe that he does, in fact, have popular support and that opinion polls saying otherwise are just lies.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote:While I agree that Perry isn't a terrible choice as an administrator...this is such a fawning review of the man himself without really delving into the particular larger issues. Chief among them climate change denial which should be disqualifying in 2016. More 'reliable' energy as the man suggests with the exception of nuclear is playing roulette with the environment and betting on black when there is 1 black square remaining.
Or playing Russian roulette with one empty chamber.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least Perry already has the playbook of threatening political opponents down to an art.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:At least Perry already has the playbook of threatening political opponents down to an art.
What are the details on this?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Except the problem is that Trump et al.'s idiocy and ridiculousness was exposed almost daily throughout the campaign, but almost have the voters didn't care and/or refused to see it as a problem. I can't imagine many them changing their minds now, no matter how disastrous Trump's presidency may be.
I'm not too concerned about the voters per se, as that ship has already sailed. But there's going to be a point when his gaffes are so bad they do lasting damage to the GOP. The only way Trump can be brought down is from within his own party. I'm hoping he's so incompetent that the political establishment has no choice but to put him on a choke leash and/or impeach him.

Let's not forget how narrow Trump's margin of victory was. He won on the backs of a lot of independents and moderates who just didn't care for Hillary. It's not going to take much of a reason to tip the scale back the other way. I want to give Joe Biden all the ammunition he can carry in 2020. :D