Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Skinypupy »

Paingod wrote:Have we hit this one yet? Wilbur Ross and his ties to Russian money laundering via Cyprus Banking.

TL;DW: Wilbur Ross, longtime friend of Trump and our new Secretary of Commerce, is a majority shareholder in a bank in Cyprus with strong ties to Russian billionaires. Wilbur Ross, the same guy who happily works with a Russian billionaire at the same bank - and that billionaire bought a property from Trump - sight unseen - for $100m, netting Trump a clean $60m profit on his 'investment' from just two years before.

No ties to Russia. None at all.

:puke-front:
Just watched that whole segment. Wow. :shock:

I have to imagine the "nothing to see here" excuse for not investigating is eventually going to crumble. What comes out the other side could be...interesting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote:
Paingod wrote:Have we hit this one yet? Wilbur Ross and his ties to Russian money laundering via Cyprus Banking.

TL;DW: Wilbur Ross, longtime friend of Trump and our new Secretary of Commerce, is a majority shareholder in a bank in Cyprus with strong ties to Russian billionaires. Wilbur Ross, the same guy who happily works with a Russian billionaire at the same bank - and that billionaire bought a property from Trump - sight unseen - for $100m, netting Trump a clean $60m profit on his 'investment' from just two years before.

I have to imagine the "nothing to see here" excuse for not investigating is eventually going to crumble. What comes out the other side could be...interesting.
I was tempted not to watch because it was YouTube, but it's a Rachel Maddow segment. It is well worth watching. I need a shower now. I feel slimey.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

DeVos is now rapidly backpedaling on her comments about HBCU's pioneering "school choice".
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

noxiousdog wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:

I was tempted not to watch because it was YouTube, but it's a Rachel Maddow segment. It is well worth watching. I need a shower now. I feel slimey.
Yeah, a lot of concerning connections in there that should be more well-known.

But speaking personally, I have trouble watching Rachel Maddow segments because of all the padding and pauses. That segment was insightful but it could easily have been delivered in a third of the time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote:Speed it up.
It's funny. 1.5x speed is the only way I can tolerate Trump speaking. He drawls on too much and it infuriates me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Interior secretary repeals ban on lead bullets
Zinke signed the order on his first day in office, overturning a policy implemented by former Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Director Dan Ashe on Jan. 19, the Obama administration’s last full day in office.
This kind of thing seems like political games.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Not just lead bullets, but also fishing tackle. We don't need more lead in the ecosystem, either by firearm or fishing line. It's odd that it took so long to come around, though - maybe they put it in place just to stall the removal of something else, knowing they'd grab at the low hanging fruit?
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote:This kind of thing seems like political games.
And this seems like excellent timing. USA! USA!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote:
Moliere wrote:This kind of thing seems like political games.
And this seems like excellent timing. USA! USA!
If Obama had put the ban in place on day 1 instead of his last day the eagle would have lived? Thanks Obama!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Moliere wrote:Interior secretary repeals ban on lead bullets
Zinke signed the order on his first day in office, overturning a policy implemented by former Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Director Dan Ashe on Jan. 19, the Obama administration’s last full day in office.
This kind of thing seems like political games.
It absolutely does. I did wildlife rehab here in the PNW for 7 years and have seen my share of dying swans and raptors stricken with lead poisoning. There has been a limited ban on lead shot here, and WDFW and hunting groups all supported it.

Seems like it was done just to appease the NRA.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Meanwhile, I watched a special over the weekend that highlighted this - in the Grand Canyon, they're working to preserve the Condors. There were 72 still alive, and they have to carefully monitor them and check them yearly for lead poisoning derived from bullet-laden carcasses. That's apparently what's killing them off.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here's your consolation prize!
President Donald Trump has offered former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman the position as U.S. ambassador to Russia, a high-profile and sensitive post amid investigations into the contacts between Russian officials and the Trump campaign.

Trump made the offer to Huntsman earlier this week, according to a White House official not authorized to discuss the move publicly until it is announced. Huntsman has indicated that he will accept the post, the official said Wednesday. The former governor did not immediately return a request for comment.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

And since Trump has talked crap about everyone, this wasn't hard to dig up:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is actually a good selection, imo. While I don't agree with him on many things, I've always respected Huntsman's candor, professionalism, even temperament, and political savvy.

I think he's a good pick for what is undoubtedly going to be a really difficult job.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If Trump really believes Huntsman gave away our country to China, he's a perfect pick to give away our country to Russia.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skinypupy wrote:This is actually a good selection, imo. While I don't agree with him on many things, I've always respected Huntsman's candor, professionalism, even temperament, and political savvy.
Except that Huntsman has almost no expertise on Russia. He did have a lot of expertise on China, which is why that made sense, and in a posting to a less strategically important country that wouldn't be a huge deal, but as ambassador to Russia it pays to have someone that knows the territory.

My guess is they're trying to inoculate themselves somewhat by picking someone not in on the collaboration with Russia as Ambassador.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:This is actually a good selection, imo. While I don't agree with him on many things, I've always respected Huntsman's candor, professionalism, even temperament, and political savvy.
Except that Huntsman has almost no expertise on Russia. He did have a lot of expertise on China, which is why that made sense, and in a posting to a less strategically important country that wouldn't be a huge deal, but as ambassador to Russia it pays to have someone that knows the territory.

My guess is they're trying to inoculate themselves somewhat by picking someone not in on the collaboration with Russia as Ambassador.
Yeah. I mean, you never know what Trump is thinking for sure, but one plausible explanation is that given all the heat he's taking on Russia, he needed to pick someone viewed as serious and without clear ties to Russia.

There's also a chance that he wants to send Huntsman away so that he doesn't run for Congress in 2018, to help clear the way for a more pro-Trump person.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Sepiche wrote: My guess is they're trying to inoculate themselves somewhat by picking someone not in on the collaboration with Russia as Ambassador.
I think you give them too much credit. They are just trying to fill empty staff seats, and they are going down the list of people that they know (bonus points if those people weren't in the news for the past 4 weeks).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gilraen wrote:
Sepiche wrote: My guess is they're trying to inoculate themselves somewhat by picking someone not in on the collaboration with Russia as Ambassador.
I think you give them too much credit.
I agree. Trump is the very personification of Ockham's Razor. You want to assume higher motivation, deeper thought, and planned processes. It's just not the case.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This is, in part, why I changed my diet recently from "Average American" - beef, chicken, cheese, and lots of other crap - to "Plant-Based" where the food I eat is vastly plants and there's no meat. The gasses from agriculture (mostly cow farts and burps) are a big component of global warming (18%, I believe), and every little bit helps. CO2 is a verifiable greenhouse gas that can be clearly and quantifiably shown as causing climate shifts. This man is a complete idiot and has no business running the Environmental Protection Agency. He may as well just change the name to EDA right now.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote:
Sepiche wrote:

Yeah. I mean, you never know what Trump is thinking for sure, but one plausible explanation is that given all the heat he's taking on Russia, he needed to pick someone viewed as serious and without clear ties to Russia.
This is kinda where I was going with my observation. While he might not be overly knowledgeable about Russia, Huntsman isn't either a raving lunatic or an obvious stooge. Some semblance of sanity is sorely needed in that particular position right now, and I think he can provide that.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote:This man is a complete idiot and has no business running the Environmental Protection Agency. He may as well just change the name to EDA right now.
I'd argue he's more corrupt than incompetent, but either way I agree he will be a disaster for the environment.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Sepiche wrote:
Paingod wrote:This man is a complete idiot and has no business running the Environmental Protection Agency. He may as well just change the name to EDA right now.
I'd argue he's more corrupt than incompetent, but either way I agree he will be a disaster for the environment.
Really, my only consolation is that these assholes will die same as the rest of us when the environment collapses.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
Really, my only consolation is that these assholes will die same as the rest of us when the environment collapses.
I don't doubt that the last thing they'll do as the world starts to die is try and use their funds to build a massive biome over the seed repository in Greenland that they and their families can move into and start fresh as farmers, safe from the ravages of UV light and blistering global temperatures. One thing they'll have going for them is ages of experience and documentation on how to do it all correctly. It's just a shame it'll take eons for the planet to settle down again and allow evolution to start over - or is the prevailing theory that we're going to turn the Earth into Venus and make it completely sterile?
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
I don't doubt that the last thing they'll do as the world starts to die is try and use their funds to build a massive biome over the seed repository in Greenland that they and their families can move into and start fresh as farmers, safe from the ravages of UV light and blistering global temperatures. One thing they'll have going for them is ages of experience and documentation on how to do it all correctly. It's just a shame it'll take eons for the planet to settle down again and allow evolution to start over - or is the prevailing theory that we're going to turn the Earth into Venus and make it completely sterile?
With no immigrants around to do the actual work though, they're going to have a hard time building that biodome.

The runaway greenhouse effect is one possible doomsday scenario. More likely, what'll happen is that drastic climate change will cause mass starvation and "severe weather phenomena" (flooding, hurricanes, etc), and then people will help the process along by killing each other over the leftover scraps. Well, here's hoping Elon Musk gets his rockets together before all that happens. If not, well, I hope the rats and cockroaches enjoy their inheritance.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's hard to imagine that humanity may be reduced to a "strange layer of striation, indicating extreme rapid climate change that cause a massive dying on the planet" for future civilizations to ponder over. They'll probably look at volcanic eruption or a massive comet striking the planet as the cause.

Thank goodness for the resilience of those rats and roaches.
Black Lives Matter

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
Paingod wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
With no immigrants around to do the actual work though, they're going to have a hard time building that biodome.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Paingod wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
If it gets to that point, you better believe I'm re-programming those robots to make fart noises instead of building the rich people biodome.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

How long before the internet memes the crap out of Rex Tillerson's climate change alias, Wayne Tracker?
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How come this didn't this come up during his hearing?
Rex Tillerson said the job of secretary of State wasn't a role he sought out.
"I didn't want this job. I didn't seek this job," Tillerson told the Independent Journal Review in an interview during his recent Asia trip.

The former ExxonMobil CEO added: “I was supposed to retire in March, this month. I was going to go to the ranch to be with my grandkids."
So what happened?
"My wife convinced me," he said. "She was right. I'm supposed to do this."
This is the man interfacing with the nations of world.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

"My wife convinced me," he said. "She was right. I'm supposed to do this."
"I swear to God, Rex, that if you think you're going to sit on your ass and count your money when you retire, you've got another thing coming. I've got a hundred things I need you to get to, and I'm going to expect them done. Do you hear me? Don't you dare raise that newspaper! Do you hear me?"

She convinced him.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

BTW - some cheap analysis - this was the outcome of the lack of a press pool during the Asia trip. I can't imagine this story will make him more media friendly. The irony being that regular press access probably would have been more circumspect. Instead he got weird press that makes it sound like he is going to be stiffly moon-walking out of Foggy Bottom at any moment.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'd thought that too. Between the commentary regarding his lack of stamina and now interviews where he invokes spirit animal Dante Hicks ("I'm not even supposed to be here today!"), I was thinking maybe the lack of a press pool during the trip wasn't a well advised move. Well, unless they were thinking that American media was going to make things even worse.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My favorite quote was that he didn't really think he needed the press. Asshole. They aren't there for you, they're there so your boss knows what the fuck you are doing with their money.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Because shouting down those you disagree with is the new in thing?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moliere wrote:
Because shouting down those you disagree with is the new in thing?
When the speaker is actively working to destroy everything your institution represents (education opportunities for minorities), then I can't find much fault in this particular non-violent expression.

In a perfect world, I wish the students had all just silently just turned their backs on her. Would have been a much more powerful statement. Given some of the pig ignorant things DeVos has said about HBCU's, however, I can understand the anger.