For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote:But yes, Politico sucks. They're the embodiment of "horse race" journalism that covers everything in terms of a struggle between two roughly equal political parties, regardless of context.
Yeah? My take on all this was that the Democrats aren't engaging in tit-for-tat exchanges over this. To do that, they'd simply need to refuse to even hold a hearing. Instead, they're communicating that they will be examining every pick and making sure these individuals are properly reviewed - not just rubber-stamp approved into the positions. You know...what every committee should be doing (regardless of party affiliation). Not even holding a hearing is BS and the idea that anyone from the GOP could get huffy over a a group following the normal process is ridiculous. Now, if the Democrats turn it into a petty circus, than that's crap too - but we aren't there yet.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote:
El Guapo wrote:But yes, Politico sucks. They're the embodiment of "horse race" journalism that covers everything in terms of a struggle between two roughly equal political parties, regardless of context.
Yeah? My take on all this was that the Democrats aren't engaging in tit-for-tat exchanges over this. To do that, they'd simply need to refuse to even hold a hearing. Instead, they're communicating that they will be examining every pick and making sure these individuals are properly reviewed - not just rubber-stamp approved into the positions. You know...what every committee should be doing (regardless of party affiliation). Not even holding a hearing is BS and the idea that anyone from the GOP could get huffy over a a group following the normal process is ridiculous. Now, if the Democrats turn it into a petty circus, than that's crap too - but we aren't there yet.
They're not, nor are they going to do what Republicans did to the CFPB (refuse to consider any CFPB Commissioner for a long time because they were opposed to the CFPB as an agency). But Politico is essentially professionally committed to covering the parties as if they were mirror images, regardless of how that relates to the facts.

Of course, the democrats are almost certain to filibuster various Trump nominees. Question is whether they would consider Garlanding Trump's SCOTUS nominee until at least 2019, although I assume if they did that the Republicans would just eliminate the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't trust dailykos, they seem like a hit piece site with dubious sources but this was still interesting.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12 ... l=facebook
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:I don't trust dailykos, they seem like a hit piece site with dubious sources but this was still interesting.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12 ... l=facebook
Daily Kos is like a slightly less respectable version of Salon. You can generally trust that there is evidence to support the facts in their stories, but they are solidly left wing, so you can't necessarily trust that what's in the stories is the full stories (like, there could be explanations for the MI voting count issue). For what it's worth I have seen this Michigan recount issue popping up in other sources today.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote:
I've seen a similar sentiment expressed from many of my conservative friends yesterday. It's so patently absurd I don't even know how to respond.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote:
Defiant wrote:
I've seen a similar sentiment expressed from many of my conservative friends yesterday. It's so patently absurd I don't even know how to respond.
It is made up bullshit anyway (his aide fibbed to the NY Times) - he never lived in public housing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This was the piece that was forwarded to me by three different people which (according to them) "explains Carson's qualifications". From the article:
What is Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic Party afraid of? That a talented, brilliant black man who has lived in public housing, who overcame poverty in the same inner city projects he will now be in charge of, might actually make a difference?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might actually give hope to black youth, instead of just talking about it?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might break the vicious cycle of poverty in inner cities?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might be able to teach and inspire black youth to achieve success, instead of playing “the blame game?”

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might counsel black America on the importance of having a father in every home?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might actually work with President Donald Trump to provide a generation of black youth with jobs instead of a welfare check?

Are they afraid of Dr. Ben working hand-in-hand with President Donald Trump might create so much success that a new generation of black youth might actually wind up thinking positively about the Republican Party?
No, really...this is what is being touted as "qualifications" for this job. I don't even... :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Why do they refer to him as Dr. Ben instead of Dr. Carson?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote:This was the piece that was forwarded to me by three different people which (according to them) "explains Carson's qualifications". From the article:
What is Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic Party afraid of? That a talented, brilliant black man who has lived in public housing, who overcame poverty in the same inner city projects he will now be in charge of, might actually make a difference?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might actually give hope to black youth, instead of just talking about it?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might break the vicious cycle of poverty in inner cities?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might be able to teach and inspire black youth to achieve success, instead of playing “the blame game?”

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might counsel black America on the importance of having a father in every home?

Are they afraid Dr. Ben might actually work with President Donald Trump to provide a generation of black youth with jobs instead of a welfare check?

Are they afraid of Dr. Ben working hand-in-hand with President Donald Trump might create so much success that a new generation of black youth might actually wind up thinking positively about the Republican Party?
No, really...this is what is being touted as "qualifications" for this job. I don't even... :grund:
:lol:

Yup, they nailed it. That's the worry here.

Also, I love how the writer seems to think that African Americans just need someone to explain the importance of fathers, and that will solve their problems. "Man, why didn't we ever think of that? Thank you, President Trump!" Jesus.

I also see that Huckabee is settling into the Trump era just fine. "Fancy Nancy Pelosi."

Good Lord.
Last edited by El Guapo on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:Why do they refer to him as Dr. Ben instead of Dr. Carson?
Probably because of this:
I’m proud to call Dr. Ben a personal friend
Wayne Allyn Root is hip - he's cool. He wants to tell you about his ultra qualified buddy, Dr. Ben.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've driven on roads and been a passenger in planes. I humbly await my nomination for Chairman of the NTSB, Administrator of the NHTSA, or Administrator of the FAA.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:I've driven on roads and been a passenger in planes. I humbly await my nomination for Chairman of the NTSB, Administrator of the NHTSA, or Administrator of the FAA.
I am intrigued by your application. But can you also say nice things about Donald Trump?
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I'm eating lunch while typing this, so I'm pretty sure that means I'm the next head of the FDA.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I've driven on roads and been a passenger in planes. I humbly await my nomination for Chairman of the NTSB, Administrator of the NHTSA, or Administrator of the FAA.
I am intrigued by your application. But can you also say nice things about Donald Trump?
I'm impressed by the stamina of a man his age.
Captain Caveman wrote:I'm eating lunch while typing this, so I'm pretty sure that means I'm the next head of the FDA.
There's also the Department of Agriculture.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
I'm impressed by the stamina of a man his age.
That's a good start, though it could have been a little more effusive.

Next question - how do you feel about taking actions that increase Donald Trump's wealth?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

... I'm out.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote:This was the piece that was forwarded to me by three different people which (according to them) "explains Carson's qualifications". From the article:

And none of those have anything whatsoever to do with running HUD.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

But they are what the person 'feels' are qualifications since HUD is clearly for black people (according to his list) and Carson is black. It isn't insanely racist at all.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:I'm eating lunch while typing this, so I'm pretty sure that means I'm the next head of the FDA.
There's also the Department of Agriculture.
Is he eating a salad?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And what countries did his food come from? The appointment possibilities are endless.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:And what countries did his food come from? The appointment possibilities are endless.
Remember when most fresh fruits and veggies were seasonal and nearly impossible to get off season? Those good ol' days are going to come roaring back.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote:
Defiant wrote:
I used to own a Saturn, so I'm qualified to be president of GM.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I've been to a doctor, so I'm qualified to perform surgery.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Wanted: Anyone who has stayed in a Holiday Inn in the past 2 years. Many positions open for you to apply your expertise.

Also interested in anyone who has switched to Geico.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Man, the CEO of Holiday Inn must be sitting pretty right now.
Black Lives Matter.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

El Guapo wrote:Man, the CEO of Holiday Inn must be sitting pretty right now.
He's pretty wealthy, so he always stays at a Marriott.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I mailed a letter today...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jaymann wrote:I mailed a letter today...
A physical letter? Clearly you're qualified to be a secretary. Do you want State, Defense, Commerce?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In YK nightmare fuel land, Pat McCrory Meeting with Trump Tomorrow.

There is some speculation that he may be getting eyed for some position in Trump's administration, and may help explain his abrupt concession of the gubernatorial race.

:grund: :grund: :grund:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Defiant wrote:
Jaymann wrote:I mailed a letter today...
A physical letter? Clearly you're qualified to be a secretary. Do you want State, Defense, Commerce?
Actually I was angling for Postmeister General.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote:There is some speculation that he may be getting eyed for some position in Trump's administration, and may help explain his abrupt concession of the gubernatorial race.
And you thought I was kidding when I said it last month?
milo

Post by milo »

Kraken wrote:I used to own a Saturn, so I'm qualified to be president of GM.
Thought you were going to say "NASA".
--milo
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

milo wrote:
Kraken wrote:I used to own a Saturn, so I'm qualified to be president of GM.
Thought you were going to say "NASA".
:lol: That too.

Trump's cabinet is really shaping up as a hive of scum and villainy, isn't it? Great leaders aren't afraid of surrounding themselves with people who are smarter and more capable than they are. Poor ones feel that they have to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier. If Trump is going to outshine them he needs a lot of burned out and broken bulbs.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If Corey Lewandowski has a job in the administration, we'll know it's basically a crime syndicate.

If Roger Stone has even an informal role, we'll know it's a Satanic cult.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Trump's choice for Homeland Security? Another general. I suppose we shouldnt be worried the strong man is literally putting a junta together.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:Trump's choice for Homeland Security? Another general. I suppose we shouldnt be worried the strong man is literally putting a junta together.
Well, at least it's not David Clarke. That was the most potentially terrifying pick for Homeland Security, among the rumored candidates.

Don't know much about Kelly, though I don't love another general, especially for the domestic Homeland Security post.
Black Lives Matter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

El Guapo wrote:
malchior wrote:Trump's choice for Homeland Security? Another general. I suppose we shouldnt be worried the strong man is literally putting a junta together.
Well, at least it's not David Clarke. That was the most potentially terrifying pick for Homeland Security, among the rumored candidates.

Don't know much about Kelly, though I don't love another general, especially for the domestic Homeland Security post.
I was hoping for Joe Arpaio to maximize the entertainment value. :pop:

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

Almost 2 years ago to the day this story was published about how the AG of Oklahoma took an energy company's letter complaining about energy regulations, copied it onto OK state letterhead, signed it, and sent it to the EPA. That AG is now the named nominee to head that Agency. This is starting to look a whole lot like a Harding administration - but only worse with authoritarian overtones as well.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Also how democratic. Either grant the waiver for Mattis or sorry to hear about your government funding. Maybe they should call the bluff - it is the Republican's government now and all. Let them explain it.