Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by Moliere »

Rick Perry Is the Wrong Choice for Energy Secretary
Governor Perry may be a nice guy, and his free market instincts may mesh well with those of President-elect Donald J. Trump, but he has not demonstrated that he is the person for this job.

In the present climate, when nuclear tensions are higher than they have been since the height of the Cold War, when the Iran deal is under attack and proliferation in unstable countries like Pakistan and North Korea will affect plans for our own arsenal, we need someone who is better prepared to handle the challenges. This is also the case as the government makes decisions about supporting research that will affect the future of fundamental inquiry for much of this century.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Flynn shared classified intel.
Donald Trump's incoming national security adviser "inappropriately shared" classified intelligence with foreign military personnel, according to a just-surfaced military summary of the inquiry.

Michael Flynn, the controversial head of intelligence for the coalition in Afghanistan at the time, unintentionally violated intelligence regulations when serving as the Army's deputy chief of staff for intelligence, according to documents obtained by CNN from the Defense Department.
I'm sure the usual apologists will be along to explain how this is totally different than Hillary's emails. :pop:
Last edited by Exodor on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Exodor wrote:Flynn shared classified intel.
onald Trump's incoming national security adviser "inappropriately shared" classified intelligence with foreign military personnel, according to a just-surfaced military summary of the inquiry.

Michael Flynn, the controversial head of intelligence for the coalition in Afghanistan at the time, unintentionally violated intelligence regulations when serving as the Army's deputy chief of staff for intelligence, according to documents obtained by CNN from the Defense Department.
I'm sure the usual apologists will be along to explain how this is totally different than Hillary's emails. :pop:
LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump is now offering ambassadorships and administration access to talent bookers who can get him big name performers for his inauguration. Oy.
Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

But at least we are going to be spared Hillary's "Pay to Play". Whew... :roll:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote:Trump is now offering ambassadorships and administration access to talent bookers who can get him big name performers for his inauguration. Oy.
I'm sure Ted Nugent is available.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Trump is now offering ambassadorships and administration access to talent bookers who can get him big name performers for his inauguration. Oy.
He only has 1 song.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Donald Trump's incoming national security adviser "inappropriately shared" classified intelligence with foreign military personnel, according to a just-surfaced military summary of the inquiry.

Isn't it obvious? He shared them with, IIRC, Australian and British foreigners. Hillary shared hers with, among other people, Huma Abadin, and we KNOW what she is,right??? (And by what "she is," I mean a democrat and a liberal of course, not a brown radical muslim terrorist. Of course)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

geezer wrote:

Isn't it obvious? He shared them with, IIRC, Australian and British foreigners. Hillary shared hers with, among other people, Huma Abadin, and we KNOW what she is,right??? (And by what "she is," I mean a democrat and a liberal of course, not a brown radical muslim terrorist. Of course)
You should have read the article instead of going for a Trump-grade memory lapse. ;)
Two former government officials with direct knowledge of the issue told CNN that while Flynn oversaw intelligence in Afghanistan, he shared classified information with Pakistan on terror networks responsible for killing American troops. The intelligence, the sources said, came from another agency and Flynn wasn't supposed to share it. They said he was trying to convince Pakistan to stop sheltering terrorists.
Sharing intelligence with Pakistan without permission from the originator strikes me as a big deal, considering the alleged links between Pakistani intelligence and the Afghan Taliban. At the very least it shows an active disregard for (or abject ignorance of) proper handling of classified information.

Clinton didn't "share" classified information with anyone. The classified information aspect of her email woes is that people purportedly sent information that should have been classified (or in a few cases, allegedly sent emails containing paragraphs that were portion-marked as Confidential) via unclassified email. That would have been a problem even if she wasn't using her personal email address (hosted on the private server). However, I have seen no reports that she actually originated any of those inappropriate emails, just that they flowed through her account.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
geezer

Post by geezer »

Max Peck wrote:
geezer wrote:

You should have read the article instead of going for a Trump-grade memory lapse. ;)
Two former government officials with direct knowledge of the issue told CNN that while Flynn oversaw intelligence in Afghanistan, he shared classified information with Pakistan on terror networks responsible for killing American troops. The intelligence, the sources said, came from another agency and Flynn wasn't supposed to share it. They said he was trying to convince Pakistan to stop sheltering terrorists.
Sharing intelligence with Pakistan without permission from the originator strikes me as a big deal, considering the alleged links between Pakistani intelligence and the Afghan Taliban. At the very least it shows an active disregard for (or abject ignorance of) proper handling of classified information.

Clinton didn't "share" classified information with anyone. The classified information aspect of her email woes is that people purportedly sent information that should have been classified (or in a few cases, allegedly sent emails containing paragraphs that were portion-marked as Confidential) via unclassified email. That would have been a problem even if she wasn't using her personal email address (hosted on the private server). However, I have seen no reports that she actually originated any of those inappropriate emails, just that they flowed through her account.
Upon review it appears we're both right. He did it twice. Once with brits and aussies, and once with Pakistan. LOCK HIM UP!!

(Can't link the story as phone is acting up)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

geezer wrote:Upon review it appears we're both right. He did it twice. Once with brits and aussies, and once with Pakistan. LOCK HIM UP!!

(Can't link the story as phone is acting up)
Ah, OK. The CNN report mentions a second incident involving "allies" but didn't narrow it down to specific nationalities.

I can see how he might have "unknowingly" shared intelligence inappropriately with AUS or GBR, given that their intelligence communities are joined at the hip anyway. Pakistan is a whole different kettle of fish, though.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I really don't like how the dot are lining up, begging to form a picture

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germa ... SKBN14211H
EU leaders will on Thursday discuss extending sanctions, which include restricting access to international financing and curbs on defence and energy cooperation with Russia.

Merkel, speaking with Hollande who was visiting a Franco-German conference on the digital economy in Berlin, said implementation of the ceasefire deal was "very sluggish".

"It will be necessary to extend the sanctions against Russia again - although we would have wished for better progress in the implementation of this process," she said.

Hollande agreed. "We must continue to apply the terms of the Minsk agreement and when they are not carried out, we must continue with sanctions," he said.

The sanctions were extended several times and are due to expire at the end of January.

Kiev and the West accuse Russia of stoking the separatist movement and aiding the rebels. The Kremlin denies these charges and accuses Ukraine of perpetuating the violence and violating the Minsk deal.
http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environme ... ons-russia
Tillerson took the helm of Exxon in 2006, at a time when global oil prices were rising and many of the easiest-to-drill fields around the world were already developed. Increasingly, energy companies were looking to new frontiers like Russia, which lacks the technology to develop all of its fields and has more than $8.2 trillion in untapped oil and gas, according to Bloomberg, particularly in the icy Arctic. For its part, Russia needed Western expertise to develop these resources.

Other Western companies, including Chevron and BP, tried to pitch themselves as the answer to Russia’s woes. But it was Tillerson and Exxon that finally managed to ink a series of deals with Rosneft to explore for oil in the Black Sea, to exploit shale resources in western Siberia, and to develop three fields in the Kara Sea in the Arctic— a region that Rosneft says holds more oil than the entire Gulf of Mexico.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Never fear! This is the new era of Trump. Where those in power are completely able to separate themselves from their prior or existing business associations. So I have complete faith that Tillerson will be able to make decisions solely on what is good for the country. He won't let his private interests (and likely his personal investment in stocks and options) sway his decisions in any way.

You just have to believe.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

TheMix wrote:Never fear! This is the new era of Trump. Where those in power are completely able to separate themselves from their prior or existing business associations. So I have complete faith that Tillerson will be able to make decisions solely on what is good for the country. He won't let his private interests (and likely his personal investment in stocks and options) sway his decisions in any way.

You just have to believe.
You make it sound like this guy has priorities out of line with the majority of Americans. He's an everyman. Tillerson has 1,809,121 shares of XOM (street value of $163,725,451) and earned total compensation of $27,297,458 (on a base salary of $3,167,000) in 2015, which represents a down year. But don't fret, he has around $75M in pension funds for his sunset years. He has unvested options totaling 1,913,500 shares, no idea of the specifics on those though. Some might say he's already set so he won't let the price of XOM dictate his decisions. I didn't buy that line of reasoning with Trump and I don't with Tillerson but I have more faith in Tillerson's qualifications.

I will say this, he's not an awful pick for Secretary of State. As long as he has a boss who will keep him honest :lol: . He knows all about the rigmarole of international diplomacy and we probably won't even have to pony up too much to upgrade his house:
For Mr. Tillerson, the amount shown includes $84,310 for residential security and $27,013 for the cost of his car provided for security reasons as described above. The remainder is for security costs relating to personal travel and other communications equipment to conduct business in a secure manner.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tillerson
From what I've read, the biggest problem for him will be conflict of interest laws. Unlike the president where there's a considerable amount of wiggle room, there are much tougher laws that apply to cabinet positions, and he'd need to liquidate a lot of his assets before he'd be in compliance with the laws.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tillerson
From what I've read, the biggest problem for him will be conflict of interest laws. Unlike the president where there's a considerable amount of wiggle room, there are much tougher laws that apply to cabinet positions, and he'd need to liquidate a lot of his assets before he'd be in compliance with the laws.
That's part of it, although I think his broader problem is that it will be politically easy for democrats to stay united against the CEO of Exxon-Mobil, and there are more than 3 Russia hawks among the GOP senators.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not a Cabinet post, but apparently Trump is eyeing Sylvester Stallone to head National Endowment for the Arts.

I actually wouldn't have any issue with this. At least Stallone has some expertise and experience in the field he'd be overseeing, and I assume he'd actually be vested in seeing it succeed. That's quite unlike many of this other appointments, which are in direct opposition to the agency they've been tapped to lead (i.e. Education, EPA, etc.). Political leanings aside, Sly is a really intelligent guy by all accounts. Kinda the opposite of the lunkheads he typically portrays.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You're right, it's definitely one of the better picks he's made so far, but MAN, if you had to look at Trump and ask yourself who, of everyone involved in the huge range of mediums that's covered by "the arts", he'd pick, it'd definitely be Sylvester goddamn Stallone. My second pick would've been Van Damme.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chaz wrote: My second pick would've been Van Damme.
"As of today, I'm backing a bill to make coconut water the official liquid of the entertainment business in America."
Covfefe!
PLW

Post by PLW »

Skinypupy wrote:Not a Cabinet post, but apparently Trump is eyeing Sylvester Stallone to head National Endowment for the Arts.
After what he did to Ivan Drago? Unlikely.

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

PLW wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Not a Cabinet post, but apparently Trump is eyeing Sylvester Stallone to head National Endowment for the Arts.
After what he did to Ivan Drago? Unlikely.

Enlarge Image
:golf clap:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Trump's Interior Pick Is the Last Hope for Our Public Lands
It’s the Republican party’s official policy to steal 640 million acres of public land from the American people. And with both the legislative and executive branches of the federal government soon to be under their control, there appeard to be little that could stop them. But then President-elect Donald Trump announced that he was nominating Ryan Zinke, a former Navy SEAL who voices strong opposition to the great public land heist, as the Secretary of the Interior.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moliere wrote:Trump's Interior Pick Is the Last Hope for Our Public Lands
It’s the Republican party’s official policy to steal 640 million acres of public land from the American people. And with both the legislative and executive branches of the federal government soon to be under their control, there appeard to be little that could stop them. But then President-elect Donald Trump announced that he was nominating Ryan Zinke, a former Navy SEAL who voices strong opposition to the great public land heist, as the Secretary of the Interior.
For all his faults (and there are many), I'm highly encouraged by Zinke's stance around federal land management. It could potentially have a huge impact for generations to come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's much better of a business decision to just lease them out, anyway. You can only sell them once. :coffee:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote:
Moliere wrote:Trump's Interior Pick Is the Last Hope for Our Public Lands
For all his faults (and there are many), I'm highly encouraged by Zinke's stance around federal land management. It could potentially have a huge impact for generations to come.
Yes, I am very encouraged. He was selected as a delegate to the Republican National Convention but resigned in protest when he saw that the platform called for the federal govt give federal lands in the West to the states. I'll also note that many hunters are against this, and Trump's son are hunters, and they have also publicly opposed this, so at least there is one bright spot amidst the gloom.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More conflicts of interest:
Rex Tillerson, the businessman nominated by Donald Trump to be the next US secretary of state, is the long-time director of a US-Russian oil firm based in the tax haven of the Bahamas, leaked documents show...

...Though there is nothing untoward about this directorship, it has not been reported before and is likely to raise fresh questions over Tillerson’s relationship with Russia ahead of a potentially stormy confirmation hearing by the US senate foreign relations committee.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sylvester Stallone 'flattered' by Donald Trump job link
Actor Sylvester Stallone has said he is "flattered" by reports that Donald Trump may offer him an arts post - but would prefer a role helping veterans.

Several publications suggested last week that the president-elect would offer the star a top job in the arts.

In a statement, Stallone said he was "incredibly flattered to have been suggested to be involved with the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA)".

But the star said he would prefer to highlight issues faced by US veterans.

"I believe I could be more effective by bringing national attention to returning military personnel in an effort to find gainful employment, suitable housing and financial assistance these heroes respectfully deserve," the statement said.
So, is he angling for Veterans' Affairs?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, he's been in a movie where he plays a veteran, successfully fights in a war, and deals with PTSD and POW issues. He would arguably be Trump's most qualified appointee yet.
Black Lives Matter.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

El Guapo wrote:I mean, he's been in a movie where he plays a veteran, successfully fights in a war, and deals with PTSD and POW issues. He would arguably be Drumpf's most qualified appointee yet.
Sad but true. But doesn't helping to bring down the Berlin Wall by beating Ivan Drago also hurt him with Trump? I mean he is clearly anti Russia.
FTE
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

And the pick for Secretary of the Army is a Wall Street billionaire (Surprise!): Vincent Viola.
President-elect Donald Trump has picked Vincent Viola, a New York businessman, West Point graduate and owner of the Florida Panthers hockey team, as his secretary of the Army.

In a statement Monday, Trump praised Viola, the son of Italian immigrants, as "living proof of the American dream" who has "long been engaged with national security issues."

Viola grew up in Brooklyn, the first member of his family to attend college, and went on to serve in the 101st Airborne Division, attend law school and start multiple businesses. He bought the NHL hockey team in 2013 for about $250 million.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Apparently (before this appointment was announced), Trump's cabinet appointees collectively have greater wealth than a third of all American households combined.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:Apparently (before this appointment was announced), Trump's cabinet appointees collectively have greater wealth than a third of all American households combined.
I read this, and they are stinky rich, to the tune of something like 10 billion and they are out of touch swamp people but to be fair I have more wealth that 25% of American households combined.

https://www.sovereignman.com/trends/cre ... ans-18072/
malchior

Post by malchior »

Might as well rename them the Council of Plutocrats. I keep waiting for the dopes in middle America who voted for *change* again to figure out that these guys are only going to double down on making their lives worse to line their own pockets. Especially when they rip away Obamacare. It'll take 2 or 3 years for the damage to appear but unless the GOP truly pulls a rabbit out - there is little chance this turns out ok.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Max Peck wrote:And the pick for Secretary of the Army is a Wall Street billionaire (Surprise!): Vincent Viola.
President-elect Donald Trump has picked Vincent Viola, a New York businessman, West Point graduate and owner of the Florida Panthers hockey team, as his secretary of the Army.
He's sort of a Jerry Jones of the NHL. He's manipulated the team to fire their head coach earlier this season after an away game loss (Gerard Gallant was famously photoed outside the team bus, waiting for a cab, after he was barred from getting on), and has generally turned the Panthers into the most reviled team in the league. FWIW, Gallant won the Jack Adams as coach of the year last season.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Meal wrote:
Max Peck wrote:And the pick for Secretary of the Army is a Wall Street billionaire (Surprise!): Vincent Viola.
He's sort of a Jerry Jones of the NHL. He's manipulated the team to fire their head coach earlier this season after an away game loss (Gerard Gallant was famously photoed outside the team bus, waiting for a cab, after he was barred from getting on), and has generally turned the Panthers into the most reviled team in the league. FWIW, Gallant won the Jack Adams as coach of the year last season.
I had never heard of him. I did a little reading this morning, and was surprised to see him described, among other things, as a "national security philanthropist." I did not know that was a thing.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:Rand Paul weighs in on Pompeo

http://rare.us/story/trumps-pick-to-hea ... ing-we-do/
To be clear this isn't Rand Paul writing, although the author of the article did co-write Rand Paul's book (so he probably knows Rand Paul's thinking well).
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Rand Paul weighs in on Pompeo

http://rare.us/story/trumps-pick-to-hea ... ing-we-do/
To be clear this isn't Rand Paul writing, although the author of the article did co-write Rand Paul's book (so he probably knows Rand Paul's thinking well).
sunuva
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote:
Jaymann wrote:
He only has 1 song.
My song is not your song . . .
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton